• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
divisionbyzorro said:
I never play Turtle Engie anymore. Just too boring.

Fixed for ya. Despite it being boring as hell, you sometimes need them to turtle since the mini isn't about defense, it's about hindrance. Though we still get some idiots building on a last point before the previous point has been captured...

Tech, some engies I know, don't build the entrance til after. I've got some spots where NOBODY looks! Once they cap the first point, or whatever, THEN I build the entrance and watch as people wonder where everyone is coming from.

divisionbyzorro said:
I never play Turtle Engie anymore. Just too frustrating.

"Spy sapping my Sentry/Dispenser/Teleporters"
"Uber incoming", destroys everything.
Demoman's stickies, destroy everything.
Pyro's Flamethrower, comes in and magically destroys everything in 1-2 seconds.

railGUN

Banned
I really don't get the stun effect on the Sandman. If I'm far away and land a stun, I can't ever get to the target in time to kill them, and since they can still run around stunned, I can't even necessarily plug them on the way up (since they just run behind a wall)... If I hit them at a closer range, it wears off almost instantly. I understand the mechanics of it, but damn I wish I could use it to my advantage more.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
railGUN said:
I really don't get the stun effect on the Sandman. If I'm far away and land a stun, I can't ever get to the target in time to kill them, and since they can still run around stunned, I can't even necessarily plug them on the way up (since they just run behind a wall)... If I hit them at a closer range, it wears off almost instantly. I understand the mechanics of it, but damn I wish I could use it to my advantage more.
Close-mid range gets you 1 shot in which is enough.

Acerac

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
The usual routine as engineer on the GAF server is
Spawn
Drop Tele entrance
Run up to about a third of the way behind the front line
Drop tele exit.
Begin building dispenser in an out of the way place.
Have a pyro come out nowhere and kill you, destroy your dispenser and your tele.
Spawn.
Run up.
Build tele in some obscure so its less likely to get destroyed.
Go out. Build sentry first. Then build dispenser.
Spy is sapping the tele at spawn. Run to tele exit to try and save.
Fail. Tele is down. Run back to sentry/dispenser in time to see demo medic pair destroy both.
Rage switch to medic.
Sounds like me when I first started. Thankfully I have learned some stuff since then. Like the fact that dispensers can be useful spy bait, place them well before your tele and spies will sap them giving you tons of warning to be on the lookout. Alternatively, blocking doorways with them will force the spies to take them out before touching your teleporters, giving you ample warning time.

I do not use dispensers correctly. I used to use them for ammo til I realized how much time it takes for them to actually provide positive amounts of metal. Now I see them as bait/a door spies can't get past without being really obvious/a poor man's medic.

Does anyone know off hand how many seconds it takes for them to actually gain the engy metal beyond what they cost?

divisionbyzorro said:
I never play Turtle Engie anymore. Just too frustrating.

I know how frustrating it can be so I've been really tying to help them out whenever I can. If I'm an engineer I'll focus on building their structures and repairs before I mess with my own stuff. If I'm pyro and I see a decent engi nest I'll switch to the homewrecker and protect them the best I can by spy checking and removing sappers. Even as a medic I frequently kill a spy when hes sapping a nest.

Problem is I often feel like the only one doing that stuff.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Fixed for ya. Despite it being boring as hell, you sometimes need them to turtle since the mini isn't about defense, it's about hindrance. Though we still get some idiots building on a last point before the previous point has been captured...

Tech, some engies I know, don't build the entrance til after. I've got some spots where NOBODY looks! Once they cap the first point, or whatever, THEN I build the entrance and watch as people wonder where everyone is coming from.
Upward/Badwater? I don't remember other maps being big enough to pull this off. Usually people will find quickly where the tele is (like in Goldrush or other shitty payload map).

railGUN said:

I love the Sandman. Of course, kuro says I shouldn't be messing with it because I need as much health as possible as a scout. Sometimes the map we are playing doesn't offer a flank position to get behind. In this case, I assume people would switch to the appropriate class to deal with the situation. I would still play Scout because I'm an idiot for not switching and I still need to practice playing extra extra cautious.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Mhm. This is a strategy I use a lot. The glowing teleporter stands out. An inactive one often goes unnoticed for a long time. Then, build your entrance and quickly level it up (or already have it leveled up if you've had the chance)... boom.

Sgt.Pepper said:
Upward/Badwater? I don't remember other maps being big enough to pull this off. Usually people will find quickly where the tele is (like in Goldrush or other shitty payload map).
I like how the only maps that come to your mind are payload maps.

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Man, I can't play Scout for shit. I miss like all my shots, and fuck splash damage (only when I play Scout).

My record is 5 kills as a Scout. lol

Blizzard

Banned
I know you can crouch-jump on level 1 dispensers. Can you do it for level 3 dispensers? If so, that means you can't block doorways with them.

Blizzard said:
I know you can crouch-jump on level 1 dispensers. Can you do it for level 3 dispensers? If so, that means you can't block doorways with them.
I believe level 1 dispenser has the same height as a level 3 dispenser, even when it is still building.

Blizzard said:
Crouch-jumping wastes precious cloak time, and makes it obvious you're a spy if you aren't cloaked.

I know this from painful experience.

Blizzard

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
Crouch-jumping wastes precious cloak time, and makes it obvious you're a spy if you aren't cloaked.

I know this from painful experience.
Unless your cloak happens to recharge from metal. But yeah, I guess it can still be useful.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sgt.Pepper said:
Man, I can't play Scout for shit. I miss like all my shots, and fuck splash damage (only when I play Scout).

My record is 5 kills as a Scout. lol
Eh, I can coach you next time if you want.

Cloudius has been SLOWLY improving.

Stop using sandman...no...just stop...
Unless you're REALLY good at dodging and have good aim (artistdud), go for the fish (cause it's cooler than the bat).

Also...I can't give away my spots! D: I see a lot of copycats already!

Blizzard said:
Unless your cloak happens to recharge from metal. But yeah, I gues it can still be useful.
Haha I didn't even think of that. Shows how much I've forgotten about spy, these days.

Do they still let you recharge using enemy dispensers while cloaked? I know you used to be able to, but it would also show the healing beam. Of course, to the enemy team, it looked like a healing beam going nowhere, but smart people would realize what they were seeing.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Eh, I can coach you next time if you want.

Cloudius has been SLOWLY improving.

Stop using sandman...no...just stop...
Unless you're REALLY good at dodging and have good aim (artistdud), go for the fish (cause it's cooler than the bat).

Also...I can't give away my spots! D: I see a lot of copycats already!
http://tf2.gafserver.com/hlstats.php?mode=dailyawardinfo&award=11&game=tf

HAHAHAHA

only because you weren't playing that time

Oreoleo

Tkawsome said:
I know how frustrating it can be so I've been really tying to help them out whenever I can. If I'm an engineer I'll focus on building their structures and repairs before I mess with my own stuff. If I'm pyro and I see a decent engi nest I'll switch to the homewrecker and protect them the best I can by spy checking and removing sappers. Even as a medic I frequently kill a spy when hes sapping a nest.

Problem is I often feel like the only one doing that stuff.

Not helping engineers is probably the worst thing about GAF server. Teamwork goes out the window in that regard. Having a line of people waiting to use a level 1 teleporter outside spawn, or exiting spawn and seeing the tele is sapped and just carrying on like it's no thing instead of taking the 15 seconds to switch class and upgrade/repair it. That shit drives me up a wall even when I'm not playing engie.

HELP YOUR ENGINEERS YOU ASSHOLES!

Cloudius12 said:

HAHAHAHA

I am shocked to see my name even once in that list. I am a shit scout.

Sianos

I still need to post/edit that demo I saved the other day. Have I been improving at all, and what do you still think I need the most work in?

My record for Scout kills (on serious servers) overall from before I reset my stats was 15~. Since I've been exclusively playing on the Jank and reset my stats, my record is ten kills. Right now my Scout bar fills the whole screen, while the other ones are all a few pixels wide, haha.

Cloudius12 said:

HAHAHAHA

Oh hey, now I have the second most scattergun kills. Second by a fairly large margin, though. :p

NSQuote said:
I still need to post/edit that demo I saved the other day. Have I been improving at all, and what do you still think I need the most work in?

My record for Scout kills (on serious servers) overall from before I reset my stats was 15~. Since I've been exclusively playing on the Jank and reset my stats, my record is ten kills. Right now my Scout bar fills the whole screen, while the other ones are all a few pixels wide, haha.
I already know you're a above average Scout. I think my worst matchup against class are indeed scouts. I will likely lose or always lose in a Scout v Scout matchup.

From the Scattergun rank, you are in 2nd place around 300 kills behind Kuro's Scout.
If you really want to know how you are doing, you need to go 1v1 against Kuro.

Acerac

Banned
Blizzard said:
Fucking crouch jumping. I had wondered for ages how everyone made jumps only to find it was this simple. -_-

Sianos

Cloudius12 said:
I already know you're a above average Scout. I think my worst matchup against class are indeed scouts. I will likely lose or always lose in a Scout v Scout matchup.

From the Scattergun rank, you are in 2nd place around 300 kills behind Kuro's Scout.
If you really want to know how you are doing, you need to go 1v1 against Kuro.

Aw, thanks Cloudius! The only reason I'm good at Scout is because like wartimeand his demo I pretty much never play any other class. I'm terrible at pretty much everything else, except for melee demoman (lol) and helpful teleporter upgrade engie.

Scout just fits me and my fighting style: I focus on speed over brute force. Wouldn't have it any other way!

I've never had a (good series of) 1v1s with Kuro or Artist. I'd probably lose, but I'm curious to see how I'd do.

Acerac said:
Fucking crouch jumping. I had wondered for ages how everyone made jumps only to find it was this simple. -_-

Yeah, a lot of the times for jumps you almost seem to make you can get if you crouch jump. You also go much further with sticky/rocket/basher jumps as well.

Oreoleo

Clydefrog said:
I've been crouch jumping since Half Life 1
pulsex.jpg

n0b

Looking at the last few pages of the thread, I guess I need to make an engie guide. Turtles...Wranglers...*shudder*

Blizzard

Banned
n0b said:
Looking at the last few pages of the thread, I guess I need to make an engie guide. Turtles...Wranglers...*shudder*
Aren't you the guy who is wrong about everything? I seem to recall you saying heavies were bad and payload is bad. Wrong about heavies, wrong about payload, wrong for America. Why should we listen to engineer advice from THIS CANDIDATE

Blizzard said:
Aren't you the guy who is wrong about everything? I seem to recall you saying heavies were bad and payload is bad. Wrong about heavies, wrong about payload, wrong for America. Why should we listen to engineer advice from THIS CANDIDATE
But both of those are true. It is YOU who is the wrong one!

Sianos

Cloudius12 said:
I love the Sandman. Of course, kuro says I shouldn't be messing with it because I need as much health as possible as a scout. Sometimes the map we are playing doesn't offer a flank position to get behind. In this case, I assume people would switch to the appropriate class to deal with the situation. I would still play Scout because I'm an idiot for not switching and I still need to practice playing extra extra cautious.
I'm the same way: I'm too stubborn to switch off Scout. Even if we're playing a spammy corridor fest like Dustbowl/Goldrush/Hoodoo and I get four kills in an hour, I generally don't switch. If I do, its usually to a joke loadout.

Of course, I still help my fellow Engies upgrade and might switch to demospam for the last push.

Do any of you idlers who use Sandboxie find that trading with your accounts using Steam trading incredibly flaky? Sometimes it works, most of the time I get an error with one of them not connecting to the trade screen. I seem to have to do it within TF2 to get it to work.

yeoz

Rickenslacker said:
Do any of you idlers who use Sandboxie find that trading with your accounts using Steam trading incredibly flaky? Sometimes it works, most of the time I get an error with one of them not connecting to the trade screen. I seem to have to do it within TF2 to get it to work.
That happens to me all the time, and I'm not even using sandboxie.

Rickenslacker said:
Only done it twice with Sandboxie and I never had a problem.

Top Bottom