• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Acerac

Banned
Obsessed said:
You and Artemis can capture my points, but I sure as fuck won't let you two kill me. :(

How do you Huntsman so good Arty?
It's cool, just hide off in a corner somewhere while we tear up.

I won't complain. :)

Seriously though, you should have seen him snipe with ubers earlier today on steel. There was nobody else around and I knew he was good so it wouldn't be a wasted uber, but holy shit it seemed like he cleared half the team off the point. He did this twice. XD

Pocketing him is a safer bet than pocketing many soldiers.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
He made this one amazing shot in that confusing custom map we played with that weird variant of capture the intel. He got an amazing shot on a player that was like a second from capping it and stretched out the match a bit longer. Amazing stuff.

Clydefrog

I'm sitting here laughing my ass off (and I'm still shirtless)

oh my god LOL

edit: jangaroo, you nearly got my haircut right. i'm kinda scared.

Jangaroo said:
7N2AJ.png

This is what I pictured in my head when I read that.
LOL hope you don't mind making it a spray.

zlatko

Banned
Couple of questions:

How do I play scout? It's the class that I want to play, but I feel like I get killed so much more than I can manage to get kills. Is it safe to say you first need some better equipment than the starting items for scout in order to be more successful? I am also not sure if I should want to go for more melee oriented kills or get some shotty shots in, reload, and come back for more?

What maps are the good ones to play on? I think I've only played on one or two my entire TF2 playtime.

Can I idle in offline practice mode as a spectator to get items?

How do I go about joining the GAF NA server?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
zlatko said:
What maps are the good ones to play on? I think I've only played on one or two my entire TF2 playtime.

'Good' is subjective, but I like (most) of the maps we have on the GAF server.
-Harvest
-Barn Blitz
-Turbine

Can I idle in offline practice mode as a spectator to get items?

Yes, you can.

How do I go about joining the GAF NA server?
-Copy the IP from the OP
-In TF2 server browser, right click blank area and select add server by IP address

Yeef

zlatko said:
Couple of questions:

How do I play scout? It's the class that I want to play, but I feel like I get killed so much more than I can manage to get kills. Is it safe to say you first need some better equipment than the starting items for scout in order to be more successful? I am also not sure if I should want to go for more melee oriented kills or get some shotty shots in, reload, and come back for more?
Vanilla loadout is still the best for Scout (well, vanilla scattergun and pistol, anyway. Atomizer beats bat!) The Scout's Scatterguns have more ramp-up than most weapons. They do up to an extra 75% damage the closer you are when you shoot. With Scout what you want to do is use your speed in mobility to catch people off guard, get in 2~3 shots (which is enough to kill any class except and overhealed heavy) and then retreat.

Knowing when to retreat and when to attack is vital when playing Scout. Since it's the fastest class you can force the enemy to fight you on your terms (unless you're fighting another scout).

Anony

for scout, i swear by scattergun + sandman
but then, i got the milkman set, that +25 hp just too good
and i cant go back now, because i'm shit with sandman + scattergun

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeef said:
Vanilla loadout is still the best for Scout (well, vanilla scattergun and pistol, anyway. Atomizer beats bat!) The Scout's Scatterguns have more ramp-up than most weapons. They do up to an extra 75% damage the closer you are when you shoot. With Scout what you want to do is use your speed in mobility to catch people off guard, get in 2~3 shots (which is enough to kill any class except and overhealed heavy) and then retreat.

Knowing when to retreat and when to attack is vital when playing Scout. Since it's the fastest class you can force the enemy to fight you on your terms (unless you're fighting another scout).
I'd add

- If the enemy is unaware, get as close to them as you can before shooting. Otherwise, you alert them to your presence and then you have to fight them face to face
- Try not to fight enemies face to face...
- Take the unusual routes and try to flank as much as possible
- Most classes can kill you in a few hits, so stay out of their way. I'd rather retreat, reload, and find another area of attack if I see a ton of people coming towards me.
- If you're fighting another scout, don't run and turn your back on him. He has the same speed so you're fucked either way. Better to back off facing him and try to shoot him first.
- Don't jump too much. There was that one scout video posted a few pages ago, you'll notice he doesn't jump around like an idiot. Jumping can affect your aim, AND experienced players know where you're going to land. Oftentimes, I'll wait for the dumbass scout to finish his second jump and run up and blast him cause he can't escape.
- If you're trying to escape, what I usually do is run, jump once, LAND, and then double jump away quickly. This usually has enough distance to throw others off. I also single jump the side now and then to dodge, with the occasional double jump. Can't be double jumping ALL the time is my point.

I did run into one annoying ass scout with that atomizer that allows the triple jump...my god it was so hard to hit him...

moojito

awwyeahgurrl said:
ATTN EUROGAF!!!

What time best suits you guys and we can try and set up some sort of regular play. I'd really like to get regular sessions going without having to constantly bug people. HELP ME HELP YOU.

I'd see about throwing out one of those steam alerts. Often when I'm playing I'll see "gaf server up and running". If I saw one of those for the euro server I'd hop straight on.

Joins Valve Server
Red Team needs to cap the last point. All of Blu went engineer. Last point covered in sentries.
2 spies on the team.
I initially go Pyro for all of 5 minutes.
I then switch to Spy, and using YER I manage to sap every sentry and dispenser after about 10 minutes.
NOBODY IS THERE TO CAP THE POINT WITH ME and some fucking scout shoots me.
Engineers rebuild all their shit.

Meanwhile I see the two non YER spies trying to backstab engies before sapping the sentry. Yeah, cause I'm sure that'll do a load of good -_-

So rage inducing.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Kuro Madoushi said:
I'd add

- Take the unusual routes and try to flank as much as possible

To build on this. A lot of maps have little details on the walls and whatnot, which end up introducing tiny ledges. Most players won't think about them, but a good Scout can use those to create strange routes. I'm talking stuff like the 2fort fence lamps. Anything to make you harder to spot, harder to predict, and harder to hit.

JackEtc

Just crafted my first hat: Furious Fukaamigasa. Not bad I guess. Don't really play Soldier though...

Used it to rebuild with my headsplitter and got the Prancer's Pride. I play Pyro, so I'm pretty happy with that.

TGMIII

moojito said:
I'd see about throwing out one of those steam alerts. Often when I'm playing I'll see "gaf server up and running". If I saw one of those for the euro server I'd hop straight on.

I throw these out all the time, in fact I did one last night. No one joined.

Flanking is super important in TF2!

You always want to be attacking on YOUR terms, not theirs. Going Pyro and rushing straight at a Scout or Soldier or Heavy from 50 yards is not going to end well for you.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
Flanking is super important in TF2!

You always want to be attacking on YOUR terms, not theirs. Going Pyro and rushing straight at a Scout or Soldier or Heavy from 50 yards is not going to end well for you.
Unless it's on a Valve server :D

zlatko

Banned
Is GAF server always full/busy or do you guys meet up on certain times/days? :p I'm a noobie, but I'd like to get a few games in with you guys today if possible.

Thanks for all the replies too. Another question is, if I wanted that Deus Ex Sniper rifle would I have a chance to trade for it with some of my noobier items, or would I be better of trying to craft it?

zlatko said:
Is GAF server always full/busy or do you guys meet up on certain times/days? :p I'm a noobie, but I'd like to get a few games in with you guys today if possible.

Thanks for all the replies too. Another question is, if I wanted that Deus Ex Sniper rifle would I have a chance to trade for it with some of my noobier items, or would I be better of trying to craft it?

around 7pm EST people start dribbling in...at 8pm servers full and you could be waiting awhile

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Forkball said:
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/halolz-dot-com-teamfortress2-tf2styleguidelines.jpg
Can't wait for Misc. Item Slot 2. We all can look even more like items whores.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Forkball said:
Is there an EU TF2 GAF group? I'd join their games if I knew when they played. The ping isn't so bad.

http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/halolz-dot-com-teamfortress2-tf2styleguidelines.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I was actually looking at that TF2 item submission website FAQ yesterday and I was thinking the exact same thing.

If I do a 4 refined + Dues Ex weapon craft, I have a chance to craft the Heavy arm, glasses, and 2 hats, right? I really want them shiny glasses :p

good god....just did the gored halloween achievement...what a pain in the ass when you a scout and 10000 pyros chasing that bastard into a sentry filled hallway!!!...got my metal though....whats it good for?

TGMIII

JackFrost said:
good god....just did the gored halloween achievement...what a pain in the ass when you a scout and 10000 pyros chasing that bastard into a sentry filled hallway!!!...got my metal though....whats it good for?

You can still do that achievement? How.

ArtistDude88 said:
If I do a 4 refined + Dues Ex weapon craft, I have a chance to craft the Heavy arm, glasses, and 2 hats, right? I really want them shiny glasses :p
Nah, they aren't part of a set so you won't (probably) get a deus ex hat/misc.

Bakphoon

commissar said:
Yes. Look for the Sticky Jumper/Rocket Jumper as they are about $0.50.

Minimum steam funds you can add is $5 FYI

And in europe 5€. But the keys there cost 2€, so you will waste 1 euro :(

TGMIII

JackFrost said:
theres a german server that runs it 24/7. He spawns minutes after every time he killed

europe
cp_manor_event
82.165.142.80:27016

hmm, did it take you many tries. I've got the last hit on him a few times now and got nothing.

awwyeahgurrl said:
hmm, did it take you many tries. I've got the last hit on him a few times now and got nothing.

took about a hour. Its gotta be melee I believe thats what sucked (and why i used scout).

Not sure if you get halloween drops or the rest of the achievements there but i got 1/2 the achievements there so far, so I may dick about in there some more later.

This dude seems to run all maps 24/7...are their any other specific maps/events to do besides this Halloween one to scrape up odds and ends?

TGMIII

JackFrost said:
took about a hour. Its gotta be melee I believe thats what sucked (and why i used scout).

Not sure if you get halloween drops or the rest of the achievements there but i got 1/2 the achievements there so far, so I may dick about in there some more later.

This dude seems to run all maps 24/7...are their any other specific maps/events to do besides this Halloween one to scrape up odds and ends?

Well I JUST got the achievement but didn't get the haunted metal, I'm guessing it'll pop up for me shortly. I hope at least.

EDIT: sweet, just popped up :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One of the servers I play on has already banned the Machina and Widowmaker :(.

Had an absolutely awesome round a couple of hours ago, cleaning it up with my Pyro. Averaged around 4 kills to every death, which for me is pretty good. Goddamn stickies and a Spy who seemed to crit with every damn revolver shot were my only weaknesses.

vehn

so there is a bug / exploit right now with the diamondback that lets you get unlimited crits (including with the enforcer). I feel so OP right now with crit enforcer and dead ringer o.o

vehn said:
so there is a bug / exploit right now with the diamondback that lets you get unlimited crits (including with the enforcer). I feel so OP right now with crit enforcer and dead rigner o.o
Mind elaborating? I would like to experience this fun before it's gone. :)

EatChildren said:
One of the servers I play on has already banned the Machina and Widowmaker :(.
For what reasons? I hope it is not "overpowered". To the TF2 community any new weapon is OP or game breaking, I frankly think the Machina is well balance. I still like the vanilla Sniper Rifle more.

Top Bottom