• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sgt.Pepper said:
For what reasons? I hope it is not "overpowered". To the TF2 community any new weapon is OP or game breaking, I frankly think the Machina is well balance. I still like the vanilla Sniper Rifle more.

Not sure why, but I'm guessing sniper spam with the new weapon, and perhaps balance issues.

And yeah, the TF2 community generally shits on every new weapon/item as being overpowered. I do feel that the Machina probably needs to be somewhat nerfed, if just because the tracer round and inability to shoot unless scoped isn't that big of a deal if you're a decent sniper.

Blizzard

Banned
EatChildren said:
One of the servers I play on has already banned the Machina and Widowmaker :(.

Had an absolutely awesome round a couple of hours ago, cleaning it up with my Pyro. Averaged around 4 kills to every death, which for me is pretty good. Goddamn stickies and a Spy who seemed to crit with every damn revolver shot were my only weaknesses.
Okay, people don't like the machina and don't like anything to be more powerful (why not buff everything instead of nerfing stuff), but why the widowmaker? Most people seemed to think it sucked or needed buffed. o_O

EatChildren said:
Not sure why, but I'm guessing sniper spam with the new weapon, and perhaps balance issues.

And yeah, the TF2 community generally shits on every new weapon/item as being overpowered. I do feel that the Machina probably needs to be somewhat nerfed, if just because the tracer round and inability to shoot unless scoped isn't that big of a deal if you're a decent sniper.

I agree. Weapons have perks and downsides that players should adapt too. Either you adapt your style of play to counter balance the flaws of your weapons, or your weapons fits your style and actually is an all improvement to your previous choice.

But I don't think the Machina is OP. Sure, for the people who don't care about no hip fire and line of fire, it is actually more powerfull than vanilla sniper rifle, but they get passive disavantages that others players wont miss to take profit from.

For the Widowmaker, I think it's incredibly underpowered. You can get only 3 shot if you miss them all and it's not more powerfull than a regular shotgun. I don't see why " no need to reload " is a perk when you can't fire more than a regular shotgun even if you hit your targets...

But it looks and sound amazing.

Yeef

EatChildren said:
One of the servers I play on has already banned the Machina and Widowmaker :(.
Are you sure they're banned. There's a bug on some servers (including Valve servers) where the new Deus Ex weapons and new strange qualities (jarate, medigun, wrench) won't work at all.

Blizzard said:
Okay, people don't like the machina and don't like anything to be more powerful (why not buff everything instead of nerfing stuff), but why the widowmaker? Most people seemed to think it sucked or needed buffed. o_O
Two reasons: buffing everything is more work than nerfing one thing. Also, unless you're also buffing player health, if you buff everything you'll eventually get to the point where everything is a 1-hit kill.

A machina user it is the easiest Spy prey ever. First even if you miss a backstab, you can kill them easily with your Revolver (the Enfocer makes it even more easier). You practically have to use the SMG and other Knife, like the Tribalman's Sniv; Jarate and Buschwaka aren't gonna save you since anyone just backs up, and shoots you in the face. The advantage of the Machina are only good for really good Snipers, and that are always around people, any 1vs1 confrontation will most likely end up with the Sniper dying.

Vanilla, Bazaar, Sydney, and Hunstman can at least defend mid-range unlike the Machina.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Someone on the server mentioned they were banned. They could have been bullshitting or speculating, I dont know.

And I have no idea why the Widowmaker was banned as yes, I consider it pretty underpowered and useless, but I dont play much engy.

As for the close range trade off, it doesn't bother me, as I'm a decent shot and all the spys I've encountered have been stupid.

It might also kill you since, after 4 years, the game still has a bug where walking backwards dramatically increases the chance of a facestab.

Won

The other sniper rifles just sound so damn weak compared to the Machina, so no surprise that people think it's so much more powerful.

zlatko

Banned
What destroys turrets the fastest? I played CTF earlier today, and will avoid that game type like the plague due to all the camping and turret play that went down. Like 4 of us would go into their side, and the path either to the turret or to the way towards the case, would result in it shooting you and killing you in like .5 seconds and there was just a ton of soldiers next to it making it impossible to do jack shit unless we had 7+ people at once. :(

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
zlatko said:
What destroys turrets the fastest?

An uber Heavy is usually your best bet against a level 3 sentry. Soldiers and Demoman stickies also work quite well.

And yea, CTF is awful if there is more than 1 engineer.

I played Spy for a while today, and I killed every Machina user each time. A lot of them used the Razorback, which doesn't do shit against an Enforcer since it kills them before they can unscope. Darwin's Shield doesn't protect them from backstabs, Jarate is worthless if they can't hit me before I kill them. Only those very paranoid snipers with SMG presented a challenge, but the Enforcer vastly superior firepower doesn't make them much of a threat.

Sgt.Pepper said:
I played Spy for a while today, and I killed every Machina user each time. A lot of them used the Razorback, which doesn't do shit against an Enforcer since it kills them before they can unscope. Darwin's Shield doesn't protect them from backstabs, Jarate is worthless if they can't hit me before I kill them. Only those very paranoid snipers with SMG presented a challenge, but the Enforcer vastly superior firepower doesn't make them much of a threat.

very true the only con to the enforcer is the extra cloak time for invis watch
unless u use deadringer

zlatko said:
What destroys turrets the fastest?
Demomen, especially Uber Demos, though Soldiers, Heavies, and sometimes Pyros will work too when Ubered. Against a good coordinated team with capable Medics, sentries are considered more like speedbumps allowing the defense some time to regroup, and not permanent defensive fixtures. If your team's anti-sentry strategy is to keep running at it one at a time, then you're going to flounder.

And yes, it's generally of the opinion that CTF doesn't really "work" in TF2 due to the more defensive nature of the game and how easy it is for multiple sentries to lock down intel. As a result, it becomes more of an hour-long deathmatch (which is why you see a lot of bad servers constantly playing 2fort).

There are some exceptions (Turbine's smaller size and multiple paths allow much easier access to the intel), but it's usually a mode to avoid.

Sciz

The Machina is great for forcing you to learn to be a better sniper. No midrange option means you have to either get good at quick short range headshots or learn how to keep moving around to avoid being flanked. Getting caught sucks more than usual, though.

Great weapon if you can count on the support of the rest of your team, less so for the classic sniper on the battlements.

EatChildren

Sciz said:
The Machina is great for forcing you to learn to be a better sniper. No midrange option means you have to either get good at quick short range headshots or learn how to keep moving around to avoid being flanked. Getting caught sucks more than usual, though.

Great weapon if you can count on the support of the rest of your team, less so for the classic sniper on the battlements.

This is true, and probably why it reignited my passion for Sniper, as I like the rush of having a clumsy ranged weapon at close range (I'm a jarate man). Pre update I had long grown tired of using Sniper.

Pyro/Scout/Sniper is my usual main, in that order, with the former two eating up by far my most play time.

Sianos

tangmaster96 said:
very true the only con to the enforcer is the extra cloak time for invis watch
unless u use deadringer

Yeah, Enforcer is a bit OP, plus 20% damage with no downside for Dead Ringer spies.

Maybe it could make cloak last slightly less time?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
EmCeeGramr said:
There are some exceptions (Turbine's smaller size and multiple paths allow much easier access to the intel), but it's usually a mode to avoid.
Doublecross feels like they wanted to make a fixed 2fort and it kind of works. The choke points are still easy to defend though.

Javaman

I just don't get the point of the widomaker. Metal is the engineer's livelyhood. If stuff needs to be built wasting metal on a couple of shots is a horrible idea. You have to be real close to the enemy to get a net gain from hitting them, something that doesn't happen often behind the lines. More likely it'll be a spy you'll be lucky enough to clip. It's a HUGE waste of metal attacking anyone. On the otherhand once everything is built, you don't need anymore metal so what's the point of the gun then? That gun needs some massive changes before it's remotely as useful as the standard shotgun. They should have combined the eng weaps and used the electro blast as a right click for the widomaker.

NSQuote said:
Yeah, Enforcer is a bit OP, plus 20% damage with no downside for Dead Ringer spies.

Maybe it could make cloak last slightly less time?
Or make Dead Ringer show their figures when they bump into someone. That would fuck them up, more pain to spies the better.

The_Technomancer said:
Doublecross feels like they wanted to make a fixed 2fort and it kind of works. The choke points are still easy to defend though.
I remember reading somewhere that Doublecross was meant to be a 5CP map, but Valve asked the creator to change it to CTF.

Sianos

Sgt.Pepper said:
Or make Dead Ringer bump someone show their figures. That would fuck them up, more pain to spies the better.
Huh, thought that already happened.

If they don't add any new downsides they need to nerf the damage to 62.

So it doesn't two shot Scouts, etc. :p

AcciDante

TWm33.png

Heavy is bootiful.

EatChildren

In the last twenty four hours I've had no less than four players literally beg for my Genuine Deus Specs, one of which offered me eight genuine hats of their own.

Goddamn people. Goddamn.

I can't wait until we have two Misc slots, so I can be a Spy with a purple Ghastly Gibbus, yellow Summer Shades, and a lime-green Camera Beard.

vehn

EatChildren said:
In the last twenty four hours I've had no less than four players literally beg for my Genuine Deus Specs, one of which offered me eight genuine hats of their own.

Goddamn people. Goddamn.

someone offered you 8 genuine hats for 1 item and you denied it o.o

Windowmaker either needs to return a greater percentage of metal back to the engineer, or spend less metal per shot. As it stands now, it's laughably inferior to the vanilla shotgun.

On another note, I played around with the Original a bit earlier, and found myself constantly missing. I'm not the greatest Soldier to begin with, so I'm not going to try to learn how to shoot with two radically different launchers.

Yeef

divisionbyzorro said:
On another note, I played around with the Original a bit earlier, and found myself constantly missing. I'm not the greatest Soldier to begin with, so I'm not going to try to learn how to shoot with two radically different launchers.
I find the Original makes aiming at people much, much easier, but makes horizontal jumping a bit harder. Overall, I think I prefer it to the default.

EatChildren

vehn said:
someone offered you 8 genuine hats for 1 item and you denied it o.o

Yeeeaaah. I dont know who is more stupid :/.

brentech

Damn it, thought I was in the clear. Been days since I switched my autoexec and no crashes, but just had a hard crash with physical mem dump.
ALL CAPS RAGE!!

Yeef said:
I find the Original makes aiming at people much, much easier, but makes horizontal jumping a bit harder. Overall, I think I prefer it to the default.

The problem is that I'm still learning how to aim and lead my targets properly. I'm still amazingly horrible at it ever after hours of playing with a Soldier. So mixing up the two rocket launchers isn't a good idea right now.

divisionbyzorro said:
The problem is that I'm still learning how to aim and lead my targets properly. I'm still amazingly horrible at it ever after hours of playing with a Soldier. So mixing up the two rocket launchers isn't a good idea right now.

haha
i'd say use the liberty launcher its really fun and it got me to do better as soldier

Sciz

EatChildren said:

Goddamn people. Goddamn.
I'd take that over the people who stalk me around for a while trying to get me to trade my Sam & Max set.

TGMIII

Sciz said:
I'd take that over the people who stalk me around for a while trying to get me to trade my Sam & Max set.

I often have the Max head and buds on and constantly get random trade invites. I don't really mind but some people seriously offer like, 2 vintage hats and expect you to consider it.

Yeef

The same switch bug seems to work on the soda popper and, likely, the KGB, but since they're on a timer you can't really make use of it.

yeoz

yeoz said:
I'm going to take a break from tf2. Won't uninstall, because I'm still going to idle, but, I won't be playing again for a while. Have fun guys.
I don't know when this happened, but, I found out that jengerer's item manager was finally updated to handle expanded backpacks (more than six pages), so, I don't even need TF2 installed anymore to manage my backpack anymore! yay! *uninstalls tf2*

Top Bottom