• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Forkball said:
ALSO THIS WEDNESDAY IS THE 15TH YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF TEAM FORTRESS RAID MODE STYLES WEAPONS AND MOREEEEEE

And they tricked me into spending all of my metal already to craft the DE:HR weapons.

I know for sure I'm not idling on Wednesday night. I'm waiting for the inevitable update.

TGMIII

Forkball said:
ALSO THIS WEDNESDAY IS THE 15TH YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF TEAM FORTRESS RAID MODE STYLES WEAPONS AND MOREEEEEE

Free copies of TFC for EVERYOOOOOOOOOONE.

If it got people playing TFC again that would be amazing

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
History lesson!

voY5n.png

Just started playing again and will check out the GAF server from time to time.

My tag is PleasantCrump.

I like Heavy, Pyro, Medic and long walks on the beach.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Yeefles, help me out here: Over on the stats page, what the hell is "Most Kills?" Sometimes the number is really low, like 4, so it's obviously not the "most kills that day." The weapon code is just "*most kills" and the icon is a picture of a scout with a pile of weapons in front of him. What the hell is this?

Also, "Most Bonus Points." Something to do with Engineer, I don't know what it is though, the totals seem too high to be actual points.

Jzero

Guys do you recommend the Multiple-core rendering to be ON in the advanced settings? I see no significant difference.

Edit: you guys suck

Blizzard

Banned
Natascha used to have major slowing power, stopping charging demomen in their tracks, annoying the crap out of scouts.

Ambassador used to have a super broken hitbox, which took Valve like 3 patches to fix and would occasionally shoot through starting gates for headshot amusement (sandman is currently broken in this fashion, I think).

Occasionally glitches would pop up where engineers could have infinite guns, or SPIES could create engineer buildings.

Backburner and/or flamethrower used to do a good bit more damage too, in addition to that health boost, right?

sixghost said:
Hitting disguised spies with the ubersaw doesn't count toward uber? I learn something every day in TF2.
I wish this still worked. If a spy is bad enough to get meleed by the medic instead of backstabbing him and/or his teammate, the medic deserves the charge boost in my opinion.

Natacha's stopping power problem was that it was the exact same stopping power from far away as from close range. A Scout half a map away couldn't get around corners without losing half his health, even if he was a foot away from cover.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Really buff banner used to fill twice as fast? Was that for like a day? It also used to reset if you went to the resupply closet, they left that part out.

Blizzard

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:
Natacha's stopping power problem was that it was the exact same stopping power from far away as from close range. A Scout half a map away couldn't get around corners without losing half his health, even if he was a foot away from cover.
The thing is that in theory, the damage cone should be different for different miniguns, so it's hard to do lots of heavy bullet hits on a distant target. I don't actually know how the cones look though.

No idea, but I do know they actually tightened the Heavy's cone and changed hitscan weapons in general so that every so often (I think it's something like 1.5 seconds), a bullet/pellet is guaranteed to hit exactly where the crosshair is located. That's why Spies tend to time each shot.

(because fuck Snipers, one of the Heavy's hard counters, getting a bead on him, right? just point vaguely at him and you're assured that his aim will be completely ruined)

Blizzard said:
I wish this still worked. If a spy is bad enough to get meleed by the medic instead of backstabbing him and/or his teammate, the medic deserves the charge boost in my opinion.

Yeah I'm not sure I like the philosophy of nerfing something because the weapon becomes too powerful if the enemy is totally moronic.

Blizzard said:
Ambassador used to have a super broken hitbox, which took Valve like 3 patches to fix and would occasionally shoot through starting gates for headshot amusement (sandman is currently broken in this fashion, I think).

They spent more time on the art of that gun than they did testing it before release.

As for the gate thing, one of the tricks was to have somebody on your team stand in front of you. The game would only test for blocks between you and your teammate, and then shoot a gate-piercing bullet from there on. I don't recall doing this myself, but it was still funny to help with.

XeroSauce said:
Good game on Warpath.

An interesting question popped up: Do Medic Mains ever get tired of having to play Medic?

Yep. I frequently mix it up though. If it's getting boring I'll change my loadout or if there's another medic I'll jump to another class for a couple of lives. I'll also switch if my team is playing badly and making it impossible to heal without getting myself killed. I've played with far too many people who think a heavy/medic combo can easily take on six guys at once and just charge into the middle of their team. Sorry buddy, you're going into that one alone. I can't heal when I'm dead and my uber is more important than your suicide.

Edit: I thought you could get uber from hitting a disguised spy. Guess I've been getting luckey and hitting them right after they lose their disguise.

Obsessed said:
Yeah I'm not sure I like the philosophy of nerfing something because the weapon becomes too powerful if the enemy is totally moronic.

I would actually agree with it in this case. Currently, failspies only really hurt their team in the sense that they don't contribute to doing something useful (possibly helping charge an enemy soldier's secondary buff at worst). If failspies were constantly boosting enemy ubers, a single bad spy could really mess up an otherwise decent defense.

divisionbyzorro said:
I would actually agree with it in this case. Currently, failspies only really hurt their team in the sense that they don't contribute to doing something useful (possibly helping charge an enemy soldier's secondary buff at worst). If failspies were constantly boosting enemy ubers, a single bad spy could really mess up an otherwise decent defense.

I don't know, I think even bad spies can serve a purpose. I've seen many teams freak out once one person gets backstabbed and a lot of them will change their class and spend more time shooting each other then pushing/stopping the cart. It doesn't always happen but I have seen teams crumble because a bad spy shook them up. A bad spy can also make the team focus more on their flanks, making their frontline weaker.

Tkawsome said:
I don't know, I think even bad spies can serve a purpose. I've seen many teams freak out once one person gets backstabbed and a lot of them will change their class and spend more time shooting each other then pushing/stopping the cart. It doesn't always happen but I have seen teams crumble because a bad spy shook them up. A bad spy can also make the team focus more on their flanks, making their frontline weaker.

If a Spy causes mass hysteria on the opposite team, I don't think I'd consider him a bad spy :p

ArtistDude88 said:
If a Spy causes mass hysteria on the opposite team, I don't think I'd consider him a bad spy :p

Oh, I'm definitely a bad spy. I need more practice in it, but this hysteria happens fairly often when I'm playing crappy teams.

Also that chart forgets that the Direct Hit's minicrits initially worked on players who were jumping or on stairs above you. The Reserve Shooter has the same glitch, but this usually isn't instant death like the DH minicrit was.

Yeef

Borgnine said:
Yeefles, help me out here: Over on the stats page, what the hell is "Most Kills?" Sometimes the number is really low, like 4, so it's obviously not the "most kills that day." The weapon code is just "*most kills" and the icon is a picture of a scout with a pile of weapons in front of him. What the hell is this?

Also, "Most Bonus Points." Something to do with Engineer, I don't know what it is though, the totals seem too high to be actual points.
Pretty sure the bonus points refers to the HLStats bonus points, not the in-game bonus points. The list is under #2 here: http://tf2.gafserver.com/hlstats.php?mode=help

As for most kills, it's exactly what it says it is. Looking through the code of the awards script, though, it looks like there's an error on the author's part. It's supposed to calculate the player with the most kills on the day before the script is run. Instead, it's calculating based on the current day. Since I have the script set to run every night at 5 AM PST, it's basically been giving the award to whoever had the most kills between 3 AM and 8 AM east coast time.

It's an easy fix and I can rerun the script to fix all the prior awards.

[EDIT]
EmCeeGramr said:
Also that chart forgets that the Direct Hit's minicrits initially worked on players who were jumping or on stairs above you. The Reserve Shooter has the same glitch, but this usually isn't instant death like the DH minicrit was.
it's not a glitch in the reserve shooter's case. The description specifically says mini-crits airborne enemies 3 seconds after switch. TF2 in general, though, is bad at detecting when people are in the air. I've gotten lots of mini-crits with the reserve shooter from people just standing on bumpy ground or on stairs.

XeroSauce

EmCeeGramr said:

It also worked on people floating in water, heh.

Bakphoon

Forkball said:
I just realized Sniper had the Machina all the way back in Meet the Sniper.
TeamFortressSniped.gif

More Halloween stuff:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/900111/koth_harvest_event0000.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://speedcap.net/img/a659862bb30a85b02d30e0865505138e/2799f.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://sparkwire.thanez.net/tf2/freddy/slice_a.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13972822/Halloween/skullmaskstyles.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Don't get it. Will that all be featured on halloween? (I stopped playing TF2 in 2008 and came back with the uber update so i missed such stuff)

Btw,

Bakphoon
[B]Member[/B]
(Today, 12:23 AM)
Reply | Quote

[Insert famous Team Captain wearing person quote here]

Dug

Banned
What is Valve gonna do with all these awesome Halloween weapons/hats/maps? (Actually, I don't think anyone is working on a Halloween map...)

Forkball

Bakphoon said:
Don't get it. Will that all be featured on halloween? (I stopped playing TF2 in 2008 and came back with the uber update so i missed such stuff)
They are just community made items. Many modders are making Halloween stuff in hopes that there's a big Halloween update (since there was a Halloween update for the past few years). So far people have made a lot of awesome stuff, I made a big post with more submissions pages back, dig it up if you can.

Bakphoon

Forkball said:
They are just community made items. Many modders are making Halloween stuff in hopes that there's a big Halloween update (since there was a Halloween update for the past few years). So far people have made a lot of awesome stuff, I made a big post with more submissions pages back, dig it up if you can.

Yeah now i see what all the modeling was for. Valve is really cool for doing such stuff.

And thanks for the information.

Acerac

Banned
Ooh, just checked out the HLstats page for the first time. Nice to see myself relatively high on the list.

Also nice to see that my joke of a k:d ratio is helping out everyone else on the server! I'm sure the 10 hours or so I've put in to medic on the server over the last week or so have a bit to do with that. Or at least that's what I'll tell myself.

"The healing is not as rewarding as the hurting."

I need to trade for a strange medigun one of these days.

Forkball

Yeah sometimes the stats seem messed up. I have the Demoman guillotine award, but one time when I checked it said I had five kills but now it only says one. Also I apparently have the reward for stealing sandviches as a spy with ten, but I only remember one time I did that.

[edit] Also I had like 30 Eviction Notice kills and the award but the global leader only has 15. BULLSHIT I AM THE GREATEST EVICTION NOTICER.

Top Bottom