• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Jzero

Most distracting spray i've ever seen
oZFKX.jpg

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jzero15 said:
Most distracting spray i've ever seen
oZFKX.jpg
I don't remember those spy heads there! ;D

Giard, don't be discouraged. Keep playing, ask questions, WATCH THE EXPERIENCED PEOPLE PLAY! Add me or whomever on friend's list and ask us questions!

When I was starting out as a comp medic, I'd pepper this one mid level medic with questions about what to do in each situation, I learned a shit ton from him.

Master n0b would take me on a couple maps and show me some strategies for offensive engie. From that, I made some of my own twists on offensive engie up (if you were watching barnblitz, you could see a lot of my tactics at play there...and we DID win).

For scout, I watched yz50 play and watch other scouts play. And for fuck's sake all you scout players, STOP JUMPING SO MUCH!

Pyro? Derp. W+M1.

Demo? spam nades into areas you know people will come from. Toss stickies and immediately detonate to force people back. Aim up to get mid to long range. Hold the fire button to get really long range and box them in. But mostly spam sticky and immediately explode.

Sniper just takes practice. You'll find them hanging out in areas suitable for snipers. You can move the reticle and then quickly zoom in and shoot for a 150 headshot. Me personally, I charge up at times and move the cursor ahead of where the person is going to be. I don't have godlike aim a la dbz#ss <- scary ass sniper.

Spy? Douche Ringer with Enforcer. Repeat. Or use the YER set. I still find it annoying as hell since I can't hear them decloak...there's gotta be a change to that OR they shouldn't allow it with DR.

Heavy? Be conservative around corners, and be sure to protect your medic even if you won't get the kill. You have 450 health...he doesn't. It's always better to protect him and take the dmg than to have him get killed. Umm...use tomislav? :p

Solly? Learn to rocket jump and practice timing to get the most out of your splash dmg. One of my biggest weaknesses is rocket jumping and timing it so that my rockets go where they're supposed to. Make sure to equip equalizer and use it! I often forget about using it when I'm low on health.

edit: I also like how the sprays almost tell a story there...

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Stick to servers with good players. It may be annoying in the beginning, but it is the best way to get better. Try to pay attention to the tendencies of better players and also learn the maps (where health/ammo packs spawn).

Giard

Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I'll try playing on the server once again sometime soon. I hope I'll be somewhat useful, unlike the first time. :p

Chesskid1

Banned
i think i'm fully addicted to TF2. need to learn any other class besides medic and learn how items work, but man this game, so good. such a blast. i have a ton of other shit to play but i keep coming back..

i usually always get bored of online FPS after a while, but the class/teamwork stuff makes it such a blast to play. i doubt i'll ever care about the items that much though.

Javaman

thefil said:
It will go differently next time, Javaman.

Next time.

0147_im80.gif

Haahaha. You bet!

Chesskid1 said:
i think i'm fully addicted to TF2. need to learn any other class besides medic and learn how items work, but man this game, so good. such a blast. i have a ton of other shit to play but i keep coming back..

i usually always get bored of online FPS after a while, but the class/teamwork stuff makes it such a blast to play. i doubt i'll ever care about the items that much though.

It's the TF2 curse. one of us. One Of Us. ONE OF US

Once you get addicted it's hard to bread free. Nice spray btw.

thefil

Chesskid1 said:

It's really the best game. Somehow it manages to encourage teamwork in a way other games don't, and there's always something else to do.

That being said, my last 10 hours of playtime were Scout with the same loadout and I'm not bored at all.

Ultratech

Iadien said:
Stick to servers with good players. It may be annoying in the beginning, but it is the best way to get better. Try to pay attention to the tendencies of better players and also learn the maps (where health/ammo packs spawn).

This is what I had to do in the beginning. Granted, I'm still not that great at a number of classes, but playing against better players helps to make you better in the long run. Personally, I suck ass as Spy, but then again, most people do.

On a related note, I finally got another hat drop! Can't even remember the last time I've had a hat drop (think it was before all the Vintage stuff was vintage). Got The Heavy Duty Rag.

Yeef

I have been without power for the last 12 hours. Also, I hate you all.

Drkirby said:
I usually didn't. I see 7 options, decided "Hey, lets play some KOTH Nucleus", and then I see the text of "No Majority was picked please vote again".

1) BarnBliz
2) Nightfall

Me: I hate both those maps D:
If the number 1 vote doesn't get at least 35% of the overall vote then there's a runoff between the top 2 winners. Only people who had their choices eliminated vote in the run off. Hint: use your mic to sway others toward your choice so tha tit is not eliminated. It works surprisingly well.

Blizzard said:
Especially when one team is about to win, but the cart glitches for 2.5 minutes on a downhill slope and refuses to move. Or when someone gets stuck in geometry on top of the cart. >_>
I am glad that we are in agreement :D

So today I discovered the flare gun critical hit on already burning enemy.

Heavy in front of me: a corridor, can't get behind him to backburn/mail box him...

Take out the flare gun. Shoot at him. 30 dmg, plus fire DOT. Fire another one: 90 dmg (!), thats more than 120 + dmg at this point

Fire another one 90 (!!) 210 + dmg

Fire the third flare 90 (!!!) 300+ dmg.

Congratulation, you just solo brained a Heavy from the distance.

It's working even if he's pushing the kart alone (heal effect is not fast enough to blow him off fire if you are quick enough and don't miss any shot)

Yeef

UnluckyKate said:
So today I discovered the flare gun critical hit on already burning enemy.

Heavy in front of me: a corridor, can't get behind him to backburn/mail box him...

Take out the flare gun. Shoot at him. 30 dmg, plus fire DOT. Fire another one: 90 dmg (!), thats more than 120 + dmg at this point

Fire another one 90 (!!) 210 + dmg

Fire the third flare 90 (!!!) 300+ dmg.

Congratulation, you just solo brained a Heavy from the distance.

It's working even if he's pushing the kart alone (heal effect is not fast enough to blow him off fire if you are quick enough and don't miss any shot)
A heavy that lets you get 4 flare gun shots off on him is a bad heavy. That's not saying it's not a valid strategy, since lots of heavies are bad heavies, but against a good Heavy that won't work.

I've found, if you're playing pyro, the best way tot take out a heavy is puff, sting, shotgun in quick succession when using the degreaser. Does about 300 damage in just under 2 seconds. Of course, it requires that you get close, so you need the element of surprise.

Acerac

Banned
I've been having bad mic problems, I'm not sure what is causing it.

One issue was everytime a certain player spoke my game would make some crazy static sound. It sounded kind of like an NES sound effect or something. When this guy would talk the game would make the static sound and the in-game (announcer/etc) sounds would cut out.

I thought that the problem was resolved by muting that guy. Today it came back. Some guy was on the mic playing some music from his laptop (guess he used line out -> mic in on pc?). When he was playing it sounded fine, when another person (any other) tried to talk while he was playing I got the same static sound, but the sound did not cut out.

I haven't messed with any drivers or any of that yet, TF2 is the only game I have had any sound problems with. I'm using onboard sound, can't remember exactly which manufacturer at the moment (at work, can't check).

Has anyone else had any similar problems?

Clydefrog

Hath not a Huntsman eyes? Hath not a Huntsman hands, organs,
dimensions, senses, arrows, passions; fed with
the same sandviches, hurt with the same weapons, subject
to the same diseases, heal'd by the same medics,
warm'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer
as a Demoknight is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?
If you taunt us, do we not laugh? If you poison us,
do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that.
If a Huntsman wrong an Enemy, what is his humility?
Revenge. If an enemy wrong a Huntsman, what should his
sufferance be by Enemy example? Why, revenge.
The villainy you teach me, I will execute,
and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

Fuck off.

P.S., a video for your enjoyment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZKnCgZVjhw

Clydefrog said:
Hath not a Huntsman eyes? Hath not a Huntsman hands, organs,
dimensions, senses, arrows, passions; fed with
the same sandviches, hurt with the same weapons, subject
to the same diseases, heal'd by the same medics,
warm'd and cool'd by the same winter and summer
as a Demoknight is? If you prick us, do we not bleed?
If you taunt us, do we not laugh? If you poison us,
do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?
If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that.
If a Huntsman wrong an Enemy, what is his humility?
Revenge. If an enemy wrong a Huntsman, what should his
sufferance be by Enemy example? Why, revenge.
The villainy you teach me, I will execute,
and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.
He doth nothing but talk of his huntsman.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I think Scout and pyro have lower damage outputs when I play as them than they do when they play against me :(

Yeef

GaimeGuy said:
I think Scout and pyro have lower damage outputs when I play as them than they do when they play against me :(
Both do their best damage at point blank. Getting used to aiming with Scout can be tough because of his speed.

As for Pyro, flames aren't lag compensated, so lead your target a bit and you should get more damage off.

I've been trying to seriously play scout lately, and while I can tell there is a lot of learning ahead of me, I'm really enjoying it. No other class has quite the variation in weapons available, and they're all a lot of fun to use. I do wish that the Soda Popper would "pop" on alt-fire, rather than trying to manage to through weapon swaps, but I really do enjoy playing all of the different Scout variations and trying to figure out how to be effective in different situations.

And you don't always have to be able to twitch aim. Flank the enemy, jam your scattergun in his ass, and pull the trigger until he's dead.

XeroSauce

Sgt.Pepper said:

Yea, you can choose Spy, but you just can't flip your knife open. So I looked up the guy's name (Shibby2142 or something) and he does TF2/L4D2 videos.

There's a video of him being backstabbed as a Sniper and KICKING the Spies out of his server using the "slot 4 friend" excuse. It's pathetic and hilarious, and he received so much backlash that it was taken down. I guess that's where the rule comes in.

hey guys, finally after owning for it years got into some TF 2. I really wanted a chargin targe, so I finally caved in and put 5 bucks into the mann store. I also got a key, and I got a strange scattergun out of the crate. Is that good? What exactly does "strange" imply?

DarkKyo

theinfinityissue said:
hey guys, finally after owning for it years got into some TF 2. I really wanted a chargin targe, so I finally caved in and put 5 bucks into the mann store. I also got a key, and I got a strange scattergun out of the crate. Is that good? What exactly does "strange" imply?
The weapon levels up and changes names with more kills. For example my strange minigun now has over 3,000 kills and is called "Server Clearing Minigun". "Strange Scattergun" is only the first title it has.

Also too bad you didn't ask here, I have a strange chargin targe I would have given you.

Proven

XeroSauce said:
Yea, you can choose Spy, but you just can't flip your knife open. So I looked up the guy's name (Shibby2142 or something) and he does TF2/L4D2 videos.

There's a video of him being backstabbed as a Sniper and KICKING the Spies out of his server using the "slot 4 friend" excuse. It's pathetic and hilarious, and he received so much backlash that it was taken down. I guess that's where the rule comes in.
Oh, Shibby. He's cool, but ever since he's gotten sponsored and started up his own server, he's become a bit power mad. Also, 50% of the time he plays on his server he's drunk and/or livestreaming at the same time.

And some people really underestimate how much some other people hate Spies. If it wasn't for Snipers being my primary natural enemy I'd troll as Pyro more. Which reminds me, I need to get some practice in with the Direct Hit again...

Also, after last night I'm officially petitioning for another server. What's the point of Auto-join when there are 15 people also doing it so it takes 5 map changes to get in, usually just because you tend to connect to the server faster than the average player?

XeroSauce

theinfinityissue said:

If you newbies ever need spare weapons, we have a whole stash just waiting to be scrapped/given to their rightful owners. The only thing you should be buying is keys, and maybe a rare hat if you really want it.

only scrubs buy keys @ the MannCo store for 2.50 USD...

See the light and buy keys for 2.00 USD or less each from trusted sellers @ the SourceOP Buying/Selling Forums.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
theinfinityissue said:
The Strange Weapons just keep track of the number of kills done with it, and change its name at certain milestones, they are fairly new.

For weapons, I wouldn't go buying them from the store, most of them you can easily get just by asking a bit.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
GaimeGuy said:
Don't rely on pyro for dmg.

Scout, get as close as possible to make sure all the pellets register...I do wish GAF had no spread on...oh well.

If the other player is oblivious, for the love of Javaman, don't shoot to warn him! Get in spy backstab range and then fire!

If you're facing another class head in, it depends.

Scout, mid range. If he's got the jump on you and you can't escape, try to get in close for a surprise meatshot. Otherwise, I always try to position close to health or escape since my dm isn't good and my aim needs work.

Solly, I only try to fight if I have the jump on him. If he can't aim, I zigzag and give him some buckshot. Comp or experienced players I back off cause splash dmg us deadly.

Pyro, I just back off and make sure I have room to dodge the flare gun.

Demo you should almost charge and meatshot.

Heavy, I'd run away unless they had terrible aim or I got them by surprise.

Spy, medic, sniper you have a atrong advantage and should always attack.

Top Bottom