• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Proven said:
Medics that live on the edge use the Kritzkreig and Quick Fix anyway. And they charge so much faster too...

I honestly haven't found a good use for the Quick Fix. Sure, being able to conduct quick triage is nice, but you're really just playing the role of a mobile dispenser at that point, and the ubercharge sucks.

Smithy C

Forkball said:
RwNsr.png
So much swag. No idea what it would do, but I really want it.

Yeef

Stairstabs are easy to avoid. And the best part is that since it requires him to have his back to you it makes him an easy target. Just start following him upstairs, stop for a second he'll just backwards right in front of you. Proceed to kill.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeef said:
Stairstabs are easy to avoid. And the best part is that since it requires him to have his back to you it makes him an easy target. Just start following him upstairs, stop for a second he'll just backwards right in front of you. Proceed to kill.
Yeah every time I follow meta up stairs I'm like WAIT, and I back up.

MarkMclovin said:
So I think I've come to the conclusion that Pyro is going to be my main. It suits my playstyle pretty well as I prefer to play defensively and I actively Spy check. Man I wish the airblast worked as a rocket jump though.
It does if you airblast a rocket to your feet. :D

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I've had 3 hats drop this week across all my accounts. I wonder if Valve fiddled with the hat drop formula.

DarkKyo

Archie said:
I've had 3 hats drop this week across all my accounts. I wonder if Valve fiddled with the hat drop formula.
I feel the same way. Last week I got 2 hat drops across my 6 accounts, this week I got another 2 hat drops. Charmer's Chapeau and Pyro's Beanie.

Bakphoon

Archie said:

Yep.

They fiddled it so around that im not getting any on my both accounts :/
Over 1 month (if not more) no hat drops.

sixghost

divisionbyzorro said:
I honestly haven't found a good use for the Quick Fix. Sure, being able to conduct quick triage is nice, but you're really just playing the role of a mobile dispenser at that point, and the ubercharge sucks.
Java really seems to like it, but he also like the blutsauger, so he's just weird. The only use I ever found for it was on some CP maps on the first life. You can heal a scout and get to the first point so quickly, and you usually win the first little scout fight since there's a medic there.

sixghost said:
Java really seems to like it, but he also like the blutsauger, so he's just weird. The only use I ever found for it was on some CP maps on the first life. You can heal a scout and get to the first point so quickly, and you usually win the first little scout fight since there's a medic there.

From what I've learned while playing on GAF servers, what works for Java doesn't work for mere mortals. He could probably carry an entire team using only Amputator taunts.

Blizzard

Banned
sixghost said:
The blutsauger makes sense since it murders everyone and heals the medic alive. The quick fix serves to get everyone killed, especially your demoman who thought it was an ubercharge because someone nicknamed their quick fix "Das Uber Gun" and the little label says ubercharge instead of quickfixcharge. ;_;

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
sixghost said:
The Blutsauger is the bread and butter of Medic survival, even though it's great to dash in for a well-aimed melee hit. I think I recently topped my 4 kills with a single life on it and it now stands at an impossibly reachable 6 these days :( A lot of players underestimate the potential of it.

A Quick-Fix recently dropped for me so I'm really keen to fiddle around with it and see how it goes. It seems worthwhile when the group is bunched up and taking hits at a bottleneck or CPs, though the lack of an overheal might annoy me a little since I instinctively keep everyone topped up.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Quick fix is awful and everyone who uses it is awful.
HEY LETS NOT GIVE EVERYONE ON OUR TEAM THE ABILITY TO WIN EVERY FIGHT

OKAY

Javaman

sixghost said:
I've found that the overheal uber really shines the most when you need one quick push to win it at the end... like the last bit for the cart or a quick capping 5th cp point. You have almost the survivability of an uber but can still cap at x2 or x3 the speed (unlike an uber) it's weakness is of course crits or stickies. It's very situational and depends on how the rest of your team is playing. (Whether or not they are suicidel or falling back for heals. It does seem to catch a lot of enemy players offguard unlike an uber where they see it coming right away.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Javaman said:
I've found that the overheal uber really shines the most when you need one quick push to win it at the end... like the last bit for the cart or a quick capping 5th cp point. You have almost the survivability of an uber but can still cap at x2 or x3 the speed (unlike an uber) it's weakness is of course crits or stickies. It's very situational and depends on how the rest of your team is playing. (Whether or not they are suicidel or falling back for heals. It does seem to catch a lot of enemy players offguard unlike an uber where they see it coming right away.
They have to add more to make it a better alternative. Otherwise it's still the Quick shits.

I haven't seen one example of its use since release where a regular or even kritz wouldn't have been better.

Maybe an increase in speed as well? Even then, it'd just be better for pocketing rather than teamwork.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Zel3 said:
How many accounts do you guys have? I'm tempted to make a few idling accounts. :[
Main + 5... Yeoz having like 20 makes everyone feel better.

I got one idling account a few months after trading came around, since I could not stand trading for stuff on trade servers, and would rather do things like craft weapons/set hats flat out, or have enough metal to simply go "Ok" for any hat I wanted.

I got two more when I got about 6 copies of TF2 for about $1.50 each. I gave away the other 4 at the time.

I got one more after I got a Valve Complete pack from completing all the Potato Sack games.

I recently got one more, since I wanted a backpack extender, and figured what the hell, buy it with anther account.

Now, if I remember to actually idle them is anther story. Some of the accounts had figures like "Has not logged in for 90 days", but it is nice to have them all go for their full double drop period (Your drop time rolls over, upto two weeks), and get 15-20 items from each account when I do feel like playing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Drkirby said:
but it is nice to have them all go for their full double drop period (Your drop time rolls over, upto two weeks), and get 15-20 items from each account when I do feel like playing.
This is news to me. Really?
Makes this a lot more attractive.

TGMIII

Hazaro said:
Quick fix is awful and everyone who uses it is awful.
HEY LETS NOT GIVE EVERYONE ON OUR TEAM THE ABILITY TO WIN EVERY FIGHT

OKAY

BUT I HEAL PEOPLE FASTER AND THE METER ON MY SCREEN BUILDS FASTER, SO IT MUST BE BETTER.

I tried to plead with a guy to switch to uber or even kritz and he insisted that the quick-fix was better than both of them. If he was trollin he was doing a fucking good job.

awwyeahgurrl said:
BUT I HEAL PEOPLE FASTER AND THE METER ON MY SCREEN BUILDS FASTER, SO IT MUST BE BETTER.

I tried to plead with a guy to switch to uber or even kritz and he insisted that the quick-fix was better than both of them. If he was trollin he was doing a fucking good job.
Meh, I don't use it much but I don't have a problem with it either. It's easy to see its benefits. You can get people back into the fight in a fraction of the time it would normally take. Shit, you can get an entire team back into the fight with full health inside of 10 seconds. Good luck doing that with any other Medigun.

AND it helps address the stupidity of wanting to RUSH INTO THE MIDDLE OF A FIREFIGHT (see: last frustrated Medic post from me). Maybe if they're not over-healed, they will play a little more conservatively, even with a Medic in tow. That can ONLY be a good thing.

Playing with Quick Fix means you can take care of a lot of people on your team much, much faster.

Obviously the lost of being able to uber 1 or 2 players is a big deal depending on the game type and opponent setup, but that's true for any weapon in the game: There are always situations where X weapon is more effective than Y weapon. IMO, unless your team can't break a sentry encampment (uber) or are struggling to break through a passageway pushing a cart (kritz), the QuickFix might be the best choice. but idk. I'm just looking at it on paper.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
EmCeeGramr said:
i should probably come back and start playing again, it's been like a week

*looks at dx:hr*

ehhhhhh

Indeed.

Then again...I gotta finish my no alert playthrough, on the hardest difficulty, with no kills. :D

Blizzard

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Obviously the lost of being able to uber 1 or 2 players is a big deal depending on the game type and opponent setup, but that's true for any weapon in the game: There are always situations where X weapon is more effective than Y weapon. IMO, unless your team can't break a sentry encampment (uber) or are struggling to break through a passageway pushing a cart (kritz), the QuickFix might be the best choice. but idk. I'm just looking at it on paper.
The problem is that in most any situation, wartime has 2 crit stickies on the ground and a third en route through the air, plus random rockets. Overheal means at least one person might survive the massacre, but by using quick fix you have effectively become an accomplice. You murderer.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm back playing the game after a loooooong hiatus (from before the hats) and I see there is now a EU server which is fucking great but there's noone on it. And it's seems like there was no activity in the last 24 hours, hope it's just a matter of waiting a couple of weeks for people to come back from holidays...

Chesskid1

Banned
is there a specific time people start showing up on the TF2 server? (NA)

i will be around 7pm EST tonight to play so don't be empty! i hate playing on valve servers after playing with people who have a clue on what to do. (especially because i play medic which relies on team members)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
7PM isn't a bad time, if no one is there, check back in an hour or two, it usually fills up at night.

You could bug some of the admins of the group to make an announcement at that time too.

Proven

Javaman said:
Pretty much this. The Quickfix is fun for me because it requires a different playstyle of me, and it requires my teammates to be less stupid type aggressive and more pressure type aggressive, more or less making them play smarter (and a bit like me). This leads to

1. You beat out the other Mediguns as long as you make sure the fight doesn't end in 5 seconds. You out heal the other guns, so as long as you keep TF2 from being too much like Quake with everyone dying really quick in 2 or 3 hits, you have the advantage in the fight.

2. As Java said, the charge catches people off guard so against a Medigun a Quickfix will win similar to how a Kritz would win, by being faster and providing an immediate overwhelming advantage.

3. You still get the last second lifesaver abilities the regular Medigun's uber has, that the Kritz can't pull off very well. It's also much more effective at saving multiple people, as it doesn't just protect against damage, but also brings them up to full so you don't have to worry about them and quick passing invincibility to them.

The Quickfix has the weakest uber for attacking, which is why the pressure style is so important. You turn everything into a numbers game, and use the ability to heal your flankers faster and keep attacking from all angles so that you never lose your advantage, so it can work decently on a team with enough lone wolves that are also decent at medic picks, or a team with coordination to focus attacks often for the same effect. For me, it's simply the better all around heal gun with the primary weakness that it sucks against entrenched positions.

And it's that one weakness that makes it so important for people to learn how to pick at entrenched positions better, as it's already decently easy to block ubers by either picking the Medic before he's ready to deploy or just with a modicum of teamwork, so that ubers now have to sneak in half the time and even then you only get 1-3 kills (often being just the sentry) and work as a distraction for the rest of your team. Against Kritz, you're already screwed unless you're in a position to immediately respond to it, no matter what gun you use.

Finally, the fact that you don't get extra healing points from overheal means you're no longer just a walking point dispenser that Valve designed in such a way to make steal the top of the scoreboard half the time. When I top with the Quickfix it's a really good feeling.

tl;dr Since release, in most situations using the Quickfix over the other guns is equal in effectiveness: either they're all dead, or you're all alive, and that's what matters. There's no "this would have been better!" It's either you win the fight, or not, and the Quickfix has the advantage in most fights. This makes the guns equal in 90% of situations. The last 10% come from the charges, which are either really easy to counter no matter which gun you're using, or you're pretty much screwed no matter which gun you're using. You're screwed a bit more often against Kritz, but you have an easier time countering ubers unless it's a Heavy at pointblank range (but you make it easier for your Pyros to airblast them). Against an entrenched defense, using the Kritz is just using a mass pick strategy anyway, and using the Uber just makes it easier to get through when the defense isn't tight.

Valve has done a lot to keep this game from entirely revolving around ubercharges, so stop asking me to carry your butt. That's all the Medic is most of the time, a carry.

Edit:
Dreams-Visions said:
Meh, I don't use it much but I don't have a problem with it either. It's easy to see its benefits. You can get people back into the fight in a fraction of the time it would normally take. Shit, you can get an entire team back into the fight with full health inside of 10 seconds. Good luck doing that with any other Medigun.

AND it helps address the stupidity of wanting to RUSH INTO THE MIDDLE OF A FIREFIGHT (see: last frustrated Medic post from me). Maybe if they're not over-healed, they will play a little more conservatively, even with a Medic in tow. That can ONLY be a good thing.

Playing with Quick Fix means you can take care of a lot of people on your team much, much faster.

Another Medic that is coming to enlightenment.

Proven said:
Pretty much this. The Quickfix is fun for me because it requires a different playstyle of me, and it requires my teammates to be less stupid type aggressive and more pressure type aggressive, more or less making them play smarter (and a bit like me). This leads to

1. You beat out the other Mediguns as long as you make sure the fight doesn't end in 5 seconds. You out heal the other guns, so as long as you keep TF2 from being too much like Quake with everyone dying really quick in 2 or 3 hits, you have the advantage in the fight.

2. As Java said, the charge catches people off guard so against a Medigun a Quickfix will win similar to how a Kritz would win, by being faster and providing an immediate overwhelming advantage.

3. You still get the last second lifesaver abilities the regular Medigun's uber has, that the Kritz can't pull off very well. It's also much more effective at saving multiple people, as it doesn't just protect against damage, but also brings them up to full so you don't have to worry about them and quick passing invincibility to them.

The Quickfix has the weakest uber for attacking, which is why the pressure style is so important. You turn everything into a numbers game, and use the ability to heal your flankers faster and keep attacking from all angles so that you never lose your advantage, so it can work decently on a team with enough lone wolves that are also decent at medic picks, or a team with coordination to focus attacks often for the same effect. For me, it's simply the better all around heal gun with the primary weakness that it sucks against entrenched positions.

And it's that one weakness that makes it so important for people to learn how to pick at entrenched positions better, as it's already decently easy to block ubers by either picking the Medic before he's ready to deploy or just with a modicum of teamwork, so that ubers now have to sneak in half the time and even then you only get 1-3 kills (often being just the sentry) and work as a distraction for the rest of your team. Against Kritz, you're already screwed unless you're in a position to immediately respond to it, no matter what gun you use.

Finally, the fact that you don't get extra healing points from overheal means you're no longer just a walking point dispenser that Valve designed in such a way to make steal the top of the scoreboard half the time. When I top with the Quickfix it's a really good feeling.

tl;dr Since release, in most situations using the Quickfix over the other guns is equal in effectiveness: either they're all dead, or you're all alive, and that's what matters. There's no "this would have been better!" It's either you win the fight, or not, and the Quickfix has the advantage in most fights. This makes the guns equal in 90% of situations. The last 10% come from the charges, which are either really easy to counter no matter which gun you're using, or you're pretty much screwed no matter which gun you're using. You're screwed a bit more often against Kritz, but you have an easier time countering ubers unless it's a Heavy at pointblank range (but you make it easier for your Pyros to airblast them). Against an entrenched defense, using the Kritz is just using a mass pick strategy anyway, and using the Uber just makes it easier to get through when the defense isn't tight.

Valve has done a lot to keep this game from entirely revolving around ubercharges, so stop asking me to carry your butt. That's all the Medic is most of the time, a carry.

Edit:
Another Medic that is coming to enlightenment.
Thoughts confirmed.

I will be using the QuickFix more.

moojito

As a demo, two things I hate are random ubers and partial ubers.

If I get a random uber I'm just chilling out and suddenly I get ubered, I panic and go like "JESUS WHERE'S THE SENTRY? Why did you uber me? What am I supposed to be killing here? Where are the people?!!!!". Stressful stuff.

Also if I am ready to go in for a sentry attack, get the uber, charge in and immediately die due to the medic trying to semi-uber a bunch of folk and not telling us before hand. Not cool.

Blizzard said:
The problem is that in most any situation, wartime has 2 crit stickies on the ground and a third en route through the air, plus random rockets. Overheal means at least one person might survive the massacre, but by using quick fix you have effectively become an accomplice. You murderer.
:-(

moojito said:
As a demo, two things I hate are random ubers and partial ubers.

I always hate random ubers. I usually end up just charging headlong into the enemy spewing whatever ordinance I have at my disposal, accomplish almost nothing, and die immediately upon the uber ending. I think this plays into the Quick-Fix discussion: communication is key. If you're playing medic, make sure your team understands what role you want to play and when you're ready for a push.

The Omega Man said:
new promo hat incoming....
oh? for what game?

divisionbyzorro said:
I always hate random ubers. I usually end up just charging headlong into the enemy spewing whatever ordinance I have at my disposal, accomplish almost nothing, and die immediately upon the uber ending. I think this plays into the Quick-Fix discussion: communication is key. If you're playing medic, make sure your team understands what role you want to play and when you're ready for a push.
When my Uber charge his 98%, it's time to start moving unless there is an obvious reason to wait. It's almost always that simple.

But keep in mind how long the charge is going to last. the goal isn't to die in a firefight after the uber runs out. It's always better to back down and retreat than to be out of the game completely for the next 15 seconds.

Dreams-Visions said:
oh? for what game?

Tropico 4 apparently.

Dreams-Visions said:
When my Uber charge his 98%, it's time to start moving unless there is an obvious reason to wait. It's almost always that simple.

But keep in mind how long the charge is going to last. the goal isn't to die in a firefight after the uber runs out. It's always better to back down and retreat than to be out of the game completely for the next 15 seconds.

That works if the medic has been healing me for long enough for me to figure out that I'm his target. But when a medic has a full charge, locks onto me, and pops the uber within a couple of seconds, I haven't had enough time to process what's happening (especially if I've been in combat). And I'm not saying I do it right - I panic. :) I'm working on it! But surprise ubers typically don't bring out the best in me.

divisionbyzorro said:
That works if the medic has been healing me for long enough for me to figure out that I'm his target. But when a medic has a full charge, locks onto me, and pops the uber within a couple of seconds, I haven't had enough time to process what's happening (especially if I've been in combat). And I'm not saying I do it right - I panic. :) I'm working on it! But surprise ubers typically don't bring out the best in me.
agreed. unexpected users stink. particularly if you're turtling/relaxing.

XeroSauce

Source Engine Changes (CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, HL2:DM)
Fixed snd_restart breaking voice recording
Fixed a rare crash creating a listen server​

Team Fortress 2
Item found notifications now correctly show up in chat
Added Tropico 4 promotional content <-PROMO HAT

Added BleedPlayer input on player for mappers
Updated localization files
GetSchema WebAPI changes
Added "kill_eater_score_types"
Added "account_info" for attrbutes where the value is a Steam account ID
Added support for Romanian, Turkey, and Hungarian (ro, tr, and hu respectively)​

I also got my ETF2L MEDAL! YEAAA

Top Bottom