• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 |OT3| - Murder-based Hat Simulator

Yeef

SteveWinwood said:
A connection to VAC servers could not be connected or something and it kicked me. Never had that happen...
Known bug. There's a whole long thread on the mailing list about it.

Probably very late for this but this weapon looks broken as shit:

QgjwP.png

Flying_Phoenix said:
Probably very late for this but this weapon looks broken as shit:

Persian Persuader

Trust me - it ain't. They continue to come up with new weapons to try to make Demoknight viable; it still really isn't better for anything other than a diversion.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
You have no way at all to get any replacement ammo, so if you go with the Grenade Launcher instead of the boots, you only get 20 pipes total. The only way to get more would be to ether go back to spawn and restock, get more by a dispenser, or a cart if you are playing a Payload map.

DarkKyo

divisionbyzorro said:
Trust me - it ain't. They continue to come up with new weapons to try to make Demoknight viable; it still really isn't better for anything other than a diversion.
Hey in smaller games Demoknight is pretty good...

Yeef

Lag compensation and wonky melee hit detection is the only thing that makes the demoknoght somewhat viable.

Well, I just got the VAC server connection error thing for the 3rd time. I'm done for tonight, I guess :(

But I did get to ban a speed hacker, so I guess I did something useful tonight, lol.

Also, I was playing TF2 while listening to this song on repeat. Why? I don't know!

I really, really wish Demoknight was viable, but it just isn't. It's so much fun though! The problem is that you're outclassed by just about every other class in the game. If you're caught without a charge, you're screwed in direct combat if they're not already in melee range.

The only way I could see Demoknight being really viable would be to drastically reduce the charge time on the 'Targe and Screen, or have the Booties give you a significant movement speed buff. You don't just need to be able to close the gap, but to escape from bad situations as well.

That said, getting a 4-head streak with the Eyelander feels pretty badass; the movement speed at that point feels like what you needed all along. You're actually something of a threat at that point; the trouble is that getting there can be a huge pain.

Blizzard

Banned
ArtistDude88 said:
Well, I just got the VAC server connection error thing for the 3rd time. I'm done for tonight, I guess :(

But I did get to ban a speed hacker, so I guess I did something useful tonight, lol.

Also, I was playing TF2 while listening to this song on repeat. Why? I don't know!
That song is great. =)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
divisionbyzorro said:
I really, really wish Demoknight was viable, but it just isn't. It's so much fun though! The problem is that you're outclassed by just about every other class in the game. If you're caught without a charge, you're screwed in direct combat if they're not already in melee range.

The only way I could see Demoknight being really viable would be to drastically reduce the charge time on the 'Targe and Screen, or have the Booties give you a significant movement speed buff. You don't just need to be able to close the gap, but to escape from bad situations as well.

That said, getting a 4-head streak with the Eyelander feels pretty badass; the movement speed at that point feels like what you needed all along. You're actually something of a threat at that point; the trouble is that getting there can be a huge pain.
Pick your battles wisely.
Since you can one hit everything but a heavy it seems like a fine trade off tbh.
Also stupid amounts of survivability.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hazaro said:
Pick your battles wisely.
Since you can one hit everything but a heavy it seems like a fine trade off tbh.
Also stupid amounts of survivability.
fuck demoknights.

I'd get 2 good scattergun shots on them and the fuzzy programming that is melee combat would let them get one shot on me and fuck me up. I also HATE that ammo gives them health, which can make them nigh unstoppable in the hands of an experienced melee player. I also hate weakening them and having them run over health AND fucking ammo and getting full health :p

Sciz

Bah. All it takes is one person on the team with a bushwhacka/axetinguisher/natascha to completely ruin a demoknight's day.

Acerac

Banned
Relax.MX said:
No TF2-Gaf-Night? :(
Personally I just needed a night off from my daily playing to catch up with Breaking Bad, but reading the thread it seemed that the server crashed constantly tonight. Seems I picked a good night to skip out on.

Bakphoon

MarkMclovin said:
What do you need equipped to become a demoknight? And how does picking up ammo give health too?

Either Chargin Targe or splendid screen, Ali Babas Wee Booties and one of the swords but it seems you are looking for a persian persuader (the one that gives health for picking up ammo). I have those all if you are interested.

A378570862B4EA5A2AA1660A35779DFB4C298CA9

Jackfrost and clud were awesome partners. Holy shit Sciz, can you give me some tips for Heavy? Because wow.

And the best spray of the month is.....
B0681A49ABF54E59EB5E26C3FB87334AB0D9430B

Kuro Madoushi said:
fuck demoknights.

I'd get 2 good scattergun shots on them and the fuzzy programming that is melee combat would let them get one shot on me and fuck me up. I also HATE that ammo gives them health, which can make them nigh unstoppable in the hands of an experienced melee player. I also hate weakening them and having them run over health AND fucking ammo and getting full health :p

Trust me: for every moment where you feel bullshitted by a demoknight, he's endured two or three equally bullshit moments. Imagine if every one of your kills required the wonky melee hit detection to work in your favor....

And yes: you can 1-shot a lot of classes, under very specific circumstances that are difficult to set up properly and difficult to execute on. It's even harder to set up favorable situations than it is as the spy, but the reward is never as good.

Of course, I have no idea how you seriously balance a melee-only class in a shooter. It's probably not really worth trying, but I'm going to continue to use him! If nothing else, he seems to attract a lot of attention from the enemy, giving my team more time to do their stuff.

On another note: last night was my first time playing Mann Manor. It seems very similarly laid out to the Mountain Lab CP map; is one really a reskin of the other?

Proven

Sgt.Pepper said:
A378570862B4EA5A2AA1660A35779DFB4C298CA9

Jackfrost and clud were awesome partners. Holy shit Sciz, can you give me some tips for Heavy? Because wow.

B0681A49ABF54E59EB5E26C3FB87334AB0D9430B
Did I not say a few pages ago that Sciz is the best Hea- GODDAMIT HE SNIPED ME!

Also, someone was complaining about the Overdose. Personally, it's something like the Blutsauger where you use it when the rest of your team is incompetent at protecting you and you're at 90% uber. It also helps you chase down spies and completely outrun Pyros even while backpedaling (for those that don't know, you get a speed penalty while strafing or walking backwards).

The Blutsauger is great for someone like Java who'd prefer to just finish the job when things turn sour. I'd rather not risk it and just run back for reinforcements. Either one will help you save uber in a pinch, but I dislike the Blut penalty.

Yeef

Sgt.Pepper said:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596947977537221522/B0681A49ABF54E59EB5E26C3FB87334AB0D9430B/[IMG][/QUOTE]Nope.

[IMG]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559792646461445598/086E153F4599855D79C4257AD04EE1058E5C04CE/

divisionbyzorro said:
On another note: last night was my first time playing Mann Manor. It seems very similarly laid out to the Mountain Lab CP map; is one really a reskin of the other?
They were both part of the Art Pass mapping contest last year. Basically, Valve designed the basic layout and then asked mappers to flesh it out.

I always meant to download some of the honorable Mention versions just to see what they looked like, but never got around to it.

Yeef said:
They were both part of the Art Pass mapping contest last year. Basically, Valve designed the basic layout and then asked mappers to flesh it out.

I always meant to download some of the honorable Mention versions just to see what they looked like, but never got around to it.

Okay - good to know I wasn't going crazy.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeef said:
I was so happy to finally get a spray, honoring the best class no less. :)

Next time Captain Borgnine gets around to me in the rotation I want a hottie girl like the Toxic spray!

*edit* Nice score Sciz. He stopped playing for months but he's back in practice now!

Bakphoon said:
Either Chargin Targe or splendid screen, Ali Babas Wee Booties and one of the swords but it seems you are looking for a persian persuader (the one that gives health for picking up ammo). I have those all if you are interested.

Ah I see. I've tried to play a the Demo with the swords before just for the lulz, but I didn't realise he can be used as a proper way to play.

I've got all his weapons too, cheers.

Blizzard

Banned
MarkMclovin said:
Ah I see. I've tried to play a the Demo with the swords before just for the lulz, but I didn't realise he can be used as a proper way to play.

I've got all his weapons too, cheers.
It took me forever to get the booties, but I honestly feel like the pipebombs may be a better option, even though you have no way to reload them besides spawn and (maybe?) dispensers. The booties don't really seem to add much turning ability at all. I guess they give a little health boost too?

Blizzard said:
It took me forever to get the booties, but I honestly feel like the pipebombs may be a better option, even though you have no way to reload them besides spawn and (maybe?) dispensers. The booties don't really seem to add much turning ability at all. I guess they give a little health boost too?

It gives +25 HP, which is huge with the damage reduction the 'Targe gives.

I'm a little torn myself. The pipe bombs or even the Loch-n-Load might be a valid choice instead just to deal with those situations where the enemy is backpedaling out of your reach. Or for dealing with that pesky mini-sentry rather than waiting for your team.

Proven said:
Also, someone was complaining about the Overdose. Personally, it's something like the Blutsauger where you use it when the rest of your team is incompetent at protecting you and you're at 90% uber. It also helps you chase down spies and completely outrun Pyros even while backpedaling (for those that don't know, you get a speed penalty while strafing or walking backwards).

The Overdose speed boost just seems so negligible...

edit:

Woot just got that headset you guys recommended! I'll be trying it out later tonight. Maybe.

Valygar

I like to play Demoknight with my Samur-eye, Half-zatoichi, Splendid Screen and Ali Babas Wee Booties. It's a bit of a gamble, but if you manage to kill someone before they kill you, you usually murder 2-3 in a row.

The problem is, as with all the demoknight setups, if the enemy team is good they will simply stay out of reach and kill you from the distance.

Proven

Obsessed said:
The Overdose speed boost just seems so negligible...

edit:

Woot just got that headset you guys recommended! I'll be trying it out later tonight. Maybe.
The Medic's regular speed boost over other classes seems so negligible (just 7%), but you've already been using it to get out of situations all this time.

The Pyro's Gas Jockey set is also "negligible", yet that bonus makes you faster than Medics, and for whatever reason it also improves my shotgun aim by 10-20%. Right now I think it's because I'm closing the distance so much that I can aim it similar to how I'd aim the flamethrower, which I got good enough at doing to win even 2 on 1 Pyro duels at times.

Did you know that a Medic can make the jump onto Steel point E without the bridge being up? That's how much just 7% is.

Clydefrog

I just about lost my shit when I saw Borgnine made a spray for me.

Yes, I usually like to keep hold of my shit, but that spray made me lose it.

Clydefrog

I don't remember the Metaphorically one... it might have been so over-the-top that my memory has blocked it. In fact, I don't remember a lot of Borgnine's sprays other than vague images of thongs and nipples. And not the good kind of thongs and nipples.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Borgnine said:
How come no one is posting the Metaphorically one.
Can't upload here? I'm at work right niw. Fuck, maybe I'll use the spray to mess with him if it's bad enough (anything except for anoyher kuro/borgnine spray)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I've been playing with the Overdose recently and I don't know if its a trick of the mind of real but I do notice and enjoy the speed boost.

Top Bottom