• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT| of Tag Assaulting the Devil, Ogres, Wild Animals & MILFs (Bitcap Warning)

Degen

Fighting game hate mail is confirmation that you're doing it right. If you get a "GG," it's probably because the person who sent it won the match.

Not gonna lie, though; dealing with rushdown during heavy input delay is a heck of a thing. ^ Avatar quote, lol

Sayah

Yeah, a "GG" message is mostly always sent to me when the person wins. lol
I don't usually respond to any of the messages, though unless I'm really impressed by someone's play style and I have to commend them.

And yes, lag/input delay can really mess things up. Best way to play Tekken is local play with some great competition. A lot of the depth of the game is only realized then. All the movements, punishes and how everything works is more noticeable then and the depth starts to make a lot more sense. At least, for me it did.

The game is so amazingly deep though. Tekken 6 has been the love of my lived and yet to live life from October 2009 to August 2012. Tag 2 will take over in September. :p

BHK3

Banned
That GG thing is in fighting games too?

>FPS game
>Team is unbalanced, 12 to 5
>Team with 12 win easily
>They say "GG"

All of my rage.

Hmmm Justin Wong seems to be down at Shadowloo Showdown and someone mentioned he might be playing Tekken.

Now to wonder If I should get down there and take all his moniez since apparently he sucks donkeyballs at this game. :{

Oh and finally NeoGAF is back up. The hell is with this site.

Degen

I decided to quit repping my #2 character for now. King is a lot of fun, but I hit a plateau and can't get him to where my Bryan is.

might just kick King out of my main TTT2 team and join the Bryan/Dragunov Army since I used Drag a lot in DR

Fraeon

Might be a stupid question but it has to be asked: what's the best way to learn punishment in these (especially Tekken 6)? I know what my punishers are but aside from what I play (Lili and Roger) and what my friend plays, I have no idea how to do some independent research on that. I could go to training mode and see what the moves actually do look like but I'm told the training mode sucks and there's no real way to tell whether you actually punished the move you were supposed to successfully.

This is in contrast to games like Marvel and SF4 where I could record something and have it be played back and try to punish that. Granted, I'm not amazing at either game regardless but I'm especially bad at this game.

Sayah

Might be a stupid question but it has to be asked: what's the best way to learn punishment in these (especially Tekken 6)? I know what my punishers are and aside from what I play (Lili and Roger) and what my friend plays, I have no idea how to do some independent research on that. I could go to training mode and see what the moves actually do look like but I'm told the training mode sucks and there's no real way to tell whether you actually punished the move you were supposed to successfully.

This is in contrast to games like Marvel and SF4 where I could record something and have it be played back and try to punish that. Granted, I'm not amazing at either game regardless but I'm especially bad at this game.

Well.......you can go to training and choose the CPU character that has the move you are trying to punish. Turn on hit analysis from the menu. This should cause shading on the characters each time you hit them or punish them. Then change the training mode to defensive training. After that, you should be able to look through CPU character's command list and select any moves on there. After you do that, the CPU will start performing those moves repetitively. Each time the CPU character does the move, he/she should be "shaded." After the move is done, the character model should go back to being "unshaded." If you can get a hit in on time (like duck a high move and then use a rising attack), then the character model can continue being shaded rather than unshaded. That means you can punish successfully.

However, hit analysis is not actually meant to used for this purpose (I think) and isn't always going to be accurate. For instance, sometimes the CPU character model can go back to being unshaded but you may still be able to punish them regardless. Nevertheless, hit analysis may be of some use to learn how to punish. It helped me figure some things out against Paul players.

AAK

Might be a stupid question but it has to be asked: what's the best way to learn punishment in these (especially Tekken 6)? I know what my punishers are but aside from what I play (Lili and Roger) and what my friend plays, I have no idea how to do some independent research on that. I could go to training mode and see what the moves actually do look like but I'm told the training mode sucks and there's no real way to tell whether you actually punished the move you were supposed to successfully.

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/tekken-6-frame-data/

Go here, see which moves give you trouble and from there you can see how negative they are on block. And then you can which moves Lili has that have enough startup frames to punish those moves.

The only issue is the fact that sometimes that move you want to punish with doesn't have the range. For that you just have to test it yourself the exact way Sayah described :)

Also, TTT2 Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/shadowloohq2

Fraeon

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/tekken-6-frame-data/

Go here, see which moves give you trouble and from there you can see how negative they are on block. And then you can which moves Lili has that have enough startup frames to punish those moves.

I know all that (I actually just prefer going to Inatekken as the translations on Aris's site are really bad and lack some of the information Inatekken's wiki has). It's just that applying that data is really tough. I could go into defensive training, block a move and "punish" it but for the most part I'd have no real tangible way of telling whether I punished it right or not. I've heard of Sayah's method but when the post itself describes it as not a sure fire way of knowing whether you've punished something, well... yeah. I'm not even sure whether that'd help me in a real match. And I do use defensive training mode all the time ...for throw breaks.

Outside of having a really vibrant scene where you get to play against every character at least on an intermediate level, I'm kind of stumped as to what I can do to solve this particular puzzle.

AAK

I could go into defensive training, block a move and "punish" it but for the most part I'd have no real tangible way of telling whether I punished it right or not.

Well, no you do know that the move should objectively punish the blocked attack based on the frame data. You go to defensive training just to make sure that the pushback won't affect you. Yeah, T6 doesn't have a perfect way to train you in this at all. Hopefully TTT2 will remedy this.

Just got back from Shadowloo, couldn't stay there all day but I watched some good stuff, TTT2U arcade version looks wayyyyy more better than I remember.... Fucking Prologue. :(:(:( Anyways I feel so great for owning a Lei and Devil Jin team now since there's a lot of Devil Jin and Kazuya players over here, dat MISHIMA DOMINANCE. Saw some decent Lei players to and gave me some good traps to steal. I'm definitely taking the SNK 1,1,1,1,1,1 into d/b+1+2 setup. and lololol Jwong advanced a bit, incredible we gotta start disowning people for that.

Wong put in work! I feel inspired to try Jack-6 again

Spend a few minutes getting his combos down.

Punish with 2,1, f+2 and d/f+2. ff+1 and ff+2 are pretty good along with db+2. Spam db+1, then crouch d/b+1, use ws+4 too. Cossack dance after victory. That's pretty much all there is too him. :p

EDIT: Wheeeeee

Not only return char. RT @Edhione In console version only chars returns or new chars too??

https://twitter.com/#!/Harada_TEKKEN/statuses/198695824627204096

Doomshine

Outside of having a really vibrant scene where you get to play against every character at least on an intermediate level, I'm kind of stumped as to what I can do to solve this particular puzzle.

You know, online might be bad, but it's good for one thing and that's matchup experience. It also helps you deal with gimmicky bullshit because that's what everyone does.

AAK

Just got back from Shadowloo, couldn't stay there all day but I watched some good stuff, TTT2U arcade version looks wayyyyy more better than I remember.... Fucking Prologue. :(:(:( Anyways I feel so great for owning a Lei and Devil Jin team now since there's a lot of Devil Jin and Kazuya players over here, dat MISHIMA DOMINANCE. Saw some decent Lei players to and gave me some good traps to steal. I'm definitely taking the SNK 1,1,1,1,1,1 into d/b+1+2 setup. and lololol Jwong advanced a bit, incredible we gotta start disowning people for that.[/spoiler]

Did you enter SS? But still, awesome you got to go :D.

Also, I feel people respected JWong way too much. Simple Tekken strings with lows here and there would have been the best including ten strings. He obviously didn't remember all the mixups. It wasn't smart testing his reactions.
Flying Wonkey said:

I think that means there might be some licensed character like how Gon was for T3. I doubt it's going to be some new character that has some say in the storyline... unless maybe it's him:

tougoubase01.png

?

Sayah

^
I sure hope not. We don't need Lars 2.0. Although, if it's a licensed character, I wonder who it could be. They had also said there would be someone from the series past that was a non-playable character before. Think unplayable characters from Tekken 1-4, I guess.

Anyway, nice interview of Harada-san here. Did Gamespot have staff changes or something? I'm starting to like them for actually doing some quality gaming coverage. Features and interviews like these are much needed.

AAK

Oh God... You're right! Can you imagine right now.. Lars/Tougou team, both Lar's movelist clones.

Yikes, that would be 10x worse than than the current Chreddy/Kumanda/Leeolet clones we know so far. I better shutup before Namco gets anymore ideas.

I read that interview, some nice input there. Wish he'd spill some beans already. Still another month till E3.

In other news VGMpire did a podcast retconning Tekken's music from T1 to TTT honoring Namco's Sound team. Check it out:

http://www.vgmpire.com/2012/05/02/vgmpire-episode-20-tekken-tunes/

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
You guys are crazy. Justin is a great fighting game player and a great Tekken player when he cared.

If he learns TTT2 seriously, he'll mop people up easily.

He's one of the few Non-ATL people to win a Final Round event for TEKKEN. He also gave Nin a run for his money at EVO for T6.

I respect his gaming fundamentals.

Sayah

Oh God... You're right! Can you imagine right now.. Lars/Tougou team, both Lar's movelist clones.

Yikes, that would be 10x worse than than the current Chreddy/Kumanda/Leeolet clones we know so far. I better shutup before Namco gets anymore ideas.

I read that interview, some nice input there. Wish he'd spill some beans already. Still another month till E3.

In other news VGMpire did a podcast retconning Tekken's music from T1 to TTT honoring Namco's Sound team. Check it out:

http://www.vgmpire.com/2012/05/02/vgmpire-episode-20-tekken-tunes/

Yes, I can only imagine what a tragic addition it would be, lol.
And nice find. Tekken music is the best.

Sayah

Let's follow the Tekken trend first.
Jaycee --> J.C. --> Julia Chang in disguise
Bryanna --> Anna in disguise. Your team is ruined. :p

Actually, scratch all of that. ^^^^^

Now I'm wondering how Bryanna's laughter would be like. :D

AAK

If he learns TTT2 seriously, he'll mop people up easily.

Didn't mean to disrespect him at all. He definitely is a phenomenal competitor... but it's just that, he doesn't know about TTT2 or it's unique intricacies since he doesn't really care. Tekken is a game where simple knowledge can give you a huge advantage over core reactions and even fundamentals. No matter how good you are if you face something new you basically will have to guess.

And in the end, in a tournament setting, I expected people to abuse that fact. For example, whore the iWR slides during tagins and mix them up with cross chops... use tag assault results that can only be broken with tag crash (which he wasn't even using once on stream), and also using strings with lows in the middle and endings. And just use simple mixups, I.E. do Raven's b+2,2,1+2 then mix it up with b+2,2,3 since you trained him to think it's only a low ender.

Still respect the hell out of him though and I know my strategies above are pretty short-sighted of me when he had a very prolific time playing the game back in T5, but he did eat a bunch of easy mid-low strings in the SDCC match footage and in the SS2012 stream so far so I am just saying what I feel should've happened. Hope you get the gist of my point :D

clone characters...

it's official. My team is Bryan/Bryanna

http://i.imgur.com/lbqjx.jpg[IMG]

mach breakers for everyone![/QUOTE]

Man, that reminds me, I do remember once upon a time in Tekken 4, Yoshi could do Bryan's f,f+2 when he used his 1+4 soul stealer. Man that was so badass, I dunno why they took it away from him :( Probably a technological limitation maybe.

Degen

promoted to Master! it's the little things y'know what I mean. time to blow it out of proportion anyway

I'd like to thank my sponsors: GAF, Soundcloud, Grooveshark, Kadey's stream, video games, that chick at work that I already know wants it, Domino's... Yuengling...

WE DID IT d/f+3 SPAMMERS
WE DID IT EAST COAST
CINCO DE BRYO

I remember when I first mained Bryan. It was T3, console version. I spammed the same few moves. And just look at me n-- ... ...THANK YOU I'M OUT

Sayah

That Nina/Anna player was not very impressive. :/
Edit: Nevermind, I take this back.
Edit 2: Those were fun matches to watch despite the hit the video quality took. Nice to see a Nina/Anna player at second but I feel like his Nina is lacking rushdown game. And he doesn't use her bitch slap or her b+2,2,2 which are both preety essential moves. And both Nina's and Anna's u/f+3,4,3 and d+1,2 can be cancelled to create some good confusion. Wasn't seeing much of that either. Still, great play. :)

Sayah

Stream just had to go out when the grand finals were about to begin.
Damn stream chat people just had to constantly complain about buzzing noise. :mad:

My ears are not working anymore, met a lot of new people, played a bit of casuals with my shitty Lei and Devil Jin and got my ass beat by that Armor King/King player (MMT was it?) and screw Jaycee's 2~b, 2+3 or whatever it is. So wanted to spend that casual time getting into the groove of all the changes.

Getting used to tag is a bit more harder than I thought but it opens stuff up and all the changes to Lei, I can't go back to 6 anymore. Solo is to much of a disadvantage with Tag Crash being too good not to use. Getting dominated at the wall and having to deal with that shitty follow up oki situation sucks, also getting your solo character down to low life just makes you panic as all hell up against a tag team.

lololol strats, Use TA to keep the opponent floating at far carried while Lei heals himself in DRU. A different but ended up being a very good technique was to run up to the opponent and then tag, your character does this neat 'oh fuck wrong way' animation so when the opponent whiffs the attack because your character ran out means the perfect opening for your partner coming in ahahha. I'll probably write more later just so very tireeedddd. and lol, that tree thing blocking the way, seems like something that was genuinely forgotten about in testing hahahaha.

EDIT: Also got some free stuff. Might be off topic, but anyone have an idea on how good this Darkstalkers show and Devil May Cry anime is? Should I expect Tekken Blood vengeance levels of horrid?

Needed more Tekken swag over there. ~_~

Did you enter SS? But still, awesome you got to go :D.

Also, I feel people respected JWong way too much. Simple Tekken strings with lows here and there would have been the best including ten strings. He obviously didn't remember all the mixups. It wasn't smart testing his reactions.

Unfortunately I missed out in registration and couldn't be able to enter. Would of been terrible for me anyway, too many Tekken players from Sydney and those guys are pretty good at this game. Well at least Australia took out Tokido, Justin Wong, Ryan Hart and Gamerbee. Too bad they couldn't stick around the single Tag 2 machine over there, I wanted to see how JWong deals with Lei's shenanigans..... Oh and Ryan Hart was nice enough to offer some players money matches... in Tekken 6. Most of went 'fuck that.'

Well don't worry, there's always BAM later this year. :)

I have a suspecting feeling that we might just see Ryu as a guest character in this game

https://twitter.com/#!/Harada_TEKKEN/status/198016466681995265

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
EDIT: Also got some free stuff. Might be off topic, but anyone have an idea on how good this Darkstalkers show and Devil May Cry anime is? Should I expect Tekken Blood vengeance levels of horrid?

Needed more Tekken swag over there. ~_~

Darkstalkers is meh, but DMC isn't bad.

GrayFoxPL

DMC anime is awful. It has all that is wrong with gaming licenses for anime, movies.

Do you expect DMC from this ? You won't get it. Only episode 8 and last is passable.

AAK

DMC Anime makes Blood Vengeance look like a Miyazaki Film. LOL It's pretty bad. Never seen the Darkstalkers anime. But still, a cool haul :D

And personally I would have loved to face Ryan Hart in a money match. I would have been decimated inside out but it would have been an experience for sure.

Tizoc

Darkstalkers OVA started out fine, but then the animation took a nosedive and Lei-Lei got a whole episode dedicated to her. Then they rushed stuff in the first few minutes of the last episode.
Oh well it had Pyron at least =V

Unfortunately I missed out in registration and couldn't be able to enter. Would of been terrible for me anyway, too many Tekken players from Sydney and those guys are pretty good at this game. Well at least Australia took out Tokido, Justin Wong, Ryan Hart and Gamerbee. Too bad they couldn't stick around the single Tag 2 machine over there, I wanted to see how JWong deals with Lei's shenanigans..... Oh and Ryan Hart was nice enough to offer some players money matches... in Tekken 6. Most of went 'fuck that.'

Well don't worry, there's always BAM later this year. :)

https://twitter.com/#!/Harada_TEKKEN/status/198016466681995265

Wasn't Harada very hush hush about SFxT? I personally would like to see Ryu in TTT2, but so long as he doesn't play like in SF. His fighting style is a combination of various fighting styles anyways.

AAK

TTT2 won't have TxSF characters IMO. The game is going to have to be ridiculously different for a lot of core things like fireballs and the vertical gameplay to be feasible.

There's also the licencing issues... does the contract between Namco and Capcom allow for the use of their property in titles other than TxSF/SFxT?

Degen

I'm personally not ruling out the possibility that those pictures of SF costumes on Tekken characters are extra content in the console version of TTT2

in any case, giving the least-used character (Ganryu) the Ryu costume is too perfect

AAK

I'm personally not ruling out the possibility that those pictures of SF costumes on Tekken characters are extra content in the console version of TTT2

in any case, giving the least-used character (Ganryu) the Ryu costume is too perfect

Every male character except for a few like Jack/Marduk/Kings/ among others already have a Karate Gi in Vanilla TTT2 ;)

Ken in TTT2

1335791158432t9ujb.jpg

ugh.....

--

Anyways don't worry, you'll get Ryu in full 3D glory with TxSF. If you want the guy a bit early nearly all males in the game can just put on the Karate Gi's and look like Ryu. Bob just happens to have a move that looked like a hadouken. (cd+1+2)

Degen

He's got a pretty cool uppercut, too.

Anyway, I hate Ryu and Ken in SF almost as much as I hate Paul in Tekken. That is a very large amount

Sayah

It still surprises me how there are so many people playing T6 online to this day. And I see there are still people that like to disconnect right before they're about to lose the match. lol

Top Bottom