• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT| of Tag Assaulting the Devil, Ogres, Wild Animals & MILFs (Bitcap Warning)

AAK

I pretty much touched every single Tekken since I got the PS1 in 1995 (except Advance), but I wouldn't consider that actually playing. It was just the "holy crap, i press []+X together and Yoshimitsu does a flying Hulk Hogan scoop slam with cool sound effects!!!" I only actually started playing Tekken where I didn't simply mash when Tekken 5 came out in 2004. Then I took a loooong break between 2006 and 2009 where I finally got back into it with T6. Now I'm sure I'll never let it go!

CSX

Been playing tekken since i was a kid. Didnt actually start learning till i was in middle school with T5. Had no example to use till I had a revelation that there could be vids i can watch on youtube lol. At this point my best juggle that i discovered myself was d3+4 , 1 , 1 , db223 with Jin. I go on youtube and see that Qudans vs Zekusu and became fukking inspired. I didnt even know that video was from DR not vanilla T5. Started memorizing movelists and simply tried to imitate how all these pros played with youtube.

I had no actual experience till DRO. Learned so much. Managed to beat #1 player at the time and got sandbagged by #2 lol. Most fun I ever had though was against a guy wearing the korean flag next to his username. We both played Devil Jin. I just learned what the hell wavedashing was. So much fun. EWGF, ff2, HS , 112 Thats all we did along with wavedashing. I beat him 5-1.

I have almost no experience playing against others in T6 due to shoddy online. Didnt really play against others till the Tag 2 location tests where I got a ride to Austin Tx. I was so bad but still good enough to use scrubs as combo practice :)

I pretty much touched every single Tekken since I got the PS1 in 1995 (except Advance), but I wouldn't consider that actually playing. It was just the "holy crap, i press []+X together and Yoshimitsu does a flying Hulk Hogan scoop slam with cool sound effects!!!" I only actually started playing Tekken where I didn't simply mash when Tekken 5 came out in 2004. Then I took a loooong break between 2006 and 2009 where I finally got back into it with T6. Now I'm sure I'll never let it go!

This is almost exactly like me. My oldest brother got a ps1 in early 96, got tekken and I was in love. I was like oh man these guys fists are bigger than their head, theres a weird looking guy with a sword, oh theres a robot, this is the best thing ever! Proceeded to play every tekken after that at the arcades whenever I could and was fortunate enough to get the console versions on day 1. Still upset though that a friend "lost" my original copy of Tekken 3. I had to go out and buy the greatest hits version with the ugly green label =( This was after Tag was already out on ps2 too but I just couldn't stand not having all the Tekken games.

I didnt actually start "playing" though until Tag came out in the arcades. I was at the local bowling alley doing my usual laser scraper and hands of doom spam and all of a sudden this guy who was in my 8th grade science class at the time just utterly destroyed me. He did things I never knew were even possible and I was in shock that someone my age was doing these things. This guy turned out to be Naoki, a very good Julia player from norcal. I was amazed and the things he was able to do and and before we knew it we became friends. It felt really good to have someone to talk too about tekken and I learned so much from him. Of course I then went on to play Tekken 4 and 5 but just like you I took a long break between 06-09 with the only tekken I really played was DR on psp here and there. From 09 on though I knew I was never looking back. Especially with Tag 2 coming. I'm going to put everything I have into that game.

P.S. I actually bought and still have Tekken Advance... profound sadness.

LowParry

Tekken 3 was my first Tekken. I remember being at arcades seeing 2 though. It was very intimidating to see and watch others play. I was more of a Killer Instinct 2 player then. Man, I remember I used to tear people apart in that game with my Jago. Tekken 3 though. My my my my. My first love of fighters of sitting down and learning how to actually play the game. I had my flings with Street Fighter 2/Alpha/Mortal Kombat and such though I couldn't put away that NBA Jam sessions. Good times those arcades. I really do miss them. :(

Started on T2 but really got into it in T3 since I had a strategy guide for the arcade version that educated me into the depth of the game engine.

Tekken 3 was the one game that actually fall in love with video games. I liked gaming a lot before, but T3 made me love it.

Rival Schools, Darkstalkers 3, and Street Fighter Alpha 3 made me grow from then on, but Tekken has always been my main thing I keep going back to

Started on T2 but really got into it in T3 since I had a strategy guide for the arcade version that educated me into the depth of the game engine.

Tekken 3 was the one game that actually fall in love with video games. I liked gaming a lot before, but T3 made me love it.

Same here. I got hooked on T2, and I had that same strategy guide for T3. I remember being so excited to play Eddy.

While I think TTT1 is a better game, T3 is definitely my favorite.

Onemic

Mortal Kombat 3/Killer Instinct/Primal Rage on SNES were my first 2d fighters and Tekken 3 was my first 3d fighter. Of course back then I button mashed all day to hell and back so knew nothing of how the underlying mechanics worked, but I didn't care. 3 was and will probably always be my favorite Tekken as it made me love fighting games. I got the PS2 in 2003 so I totally missed Tekken 4, though I remember Tekken Tag Tournament being really popular at arcades back in the day though I didn't play it. I got Tekken 5 the first day it came out in 2004 and got hooked all over again. Add DR on PSP to the mix and I was playing 5 everywhere I went. Still button mashing like crazy though. It wasn't until Street Fighter 4 came out that I finally tried learning how to play rather than just button mashing.

Now that I got 6 today, It's weird how different the game feels going into practice mode and actually trying to learn Hworang and his moves/stances, rather than just mashing them out and hoping he'll do some crazy kicks.

Same here. I got hooked on T2, and I had that same strategy guide for T3. I remember being so excited to play Eddy.

While I think TTT1 is a better game, T3 is definitely my favorite.

Word. I got overly obsessed with the robots in T3 (Bryan + Gun Jack). They were my mains until T5. Switched over to Kazuya in 5.0 n 5.2 till DR released n Dragunov became my main. I knew he sucked at the time but liked playing him a lot. Still surprised at how popular he is now.

Still don't know my TTT2 team... Still leaning to Drag + Jack. Waiting to see how Ancient Ogre plays

GrayFoxPL

I played T1 in a "fake" arcades that had playstation under a hood. I was daydreaming about Tekken all the time and was reading the same paper articles 1000 times while drooling at the screenshots. I was saving money for years for a console and only in 1997 I had enough to pay for half of playstation that cost small fortune in Poland. Rest my parents paid. Played Tekken 2 to death - that is insane 10-11 hours a day.
Remember in Europe we had shitty 50fps up until Tekken 4. The series is my most played in my gaming history but nothing beats the insanity that was Tekken 2.

Harada said on Twitter that it is his dream to make Tekken vs Virtua Fighter. Let's face it this is long overdue and reality has become infuckingsane with Tekken vs Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat vs Batman.

Sayah

It's not really broken. It does hit me unexpectedly all the time, though, lol.
Paul's deathfist is far more deadlier as far as crazy one hit damage goes.

Sayah

I think there are certain key King moves you're not using. But in any case, you've played against Nina too much now. lol My rushdown game is not as effective anymore.

And I'm gonna try to relearn King myself. Last time I used him frequently was Tekken 4 so probably don't remember much with him.

AAK

What are jin and hworangs BnB's if they have any?

How come nobody answered this Man????

LOL. Hwoarang ain't easy my friend. He's probably along with Lei and Yoshimitsu among one of the most complicated characters to play in any fighting game. I can safely say Hwoarang and Kazuya are my secondaries in T6 with Aking being my primary and it took me TOO long to grasp what moves go to where during which stance. Just to give you an example of his core juggle from his d/f+2 launcher (it's safe and mid hitting):

d/f+2, 2,3 1, 2,4, 2, f,f+3 B! f+3+4, 3~4~f,b+3

You basically start from his LFF stance: d/f+2, 2,3 Now you're in his LFS stance, 1, now you're back to his LFF stance, 2,4 Now you're in his RFS stance, 2, now you're in his RFF Stance, f,f+3 You bound the opponent and you're back at his the LFF stance, f+3+4 change into RFF stance, 3~4~f Backlash kick cancelling into his LFS, and then b+3 to end the combo.

I recommend starting with easy characters like Lili, Jack, or Paul. I guess if you're adamant in learning Hwoa, start with just Juggle starter, 2,4 2, f,f+3 B! and then try to complete and fill in the combo with others. It's hard to explain unless you've already grasped a good majority of what he can do, but you can ask away and I'll try to run you through some things.

As for Jin, he's much simpler. And he's got some pretty doable juggles. You can start with:

CD+1_WS+2_d+3+4_u/f+4, 1,2,3 B! d/b+2,2,3

Other combo fillers can be:

Launcher: b+2,1 1,3~3 B! f,f, d/b+2,2,3
" : b,f+2,1 1,3~3 B! f,f, 3,1 f+4
" : b+3, 1,2,3 B! f,f 3,1 f+4

Onemic

How come nobody answered this Man????

LOL. Hwoarang ain't easy my friend. He's probably along with Lei and Yoshimitsu among one of the most complicated characters to play in any fighting game. I can safely say Hwoarang and Kazuya are my secondaries in T6 with Aking being my primary and it took me TOO long to grasp what moves go to where during which stance. Just to give you an example of his core juggle from his d/f+2 launcher (it's safe and mid hitting):

d/f+2, 2,3 1, 2,4, 2, f,f+3 B! f+3+4, 3~4~f,b+3

You basically start from his LFF stance: d/f+2, 2,3 Now you're in his LFS stance, 1, now you're back to his LFF stance, 2,4 Now you're in his RFS stance, 2, now you're in his RFF Stance, f,f+3 You bound the opponent and you're back at his the LFF stance, f+3+4 change into RFF stance, 3~4~f Backlash kick cancelling into his LFS, and then b+3 to end the combo.

I recommend starting with easy characters like Lili, Jack, or Paul. I guess if you're adamant in learning Hwoa, start with just Juggle starter, 2,4 2, f,f+3 B! and then try to complete and fill in the combo with others. It's hard to explain unless you've already grasped a good majority of what he can do, but you can ask away and I'll try to run you through some things.

As for Jin, he's much simpler. And he's got some pretty doable juggles. You can start with:

CD+1_WS+2_d+3+4_u/f+4, 1,2,3 B! d/b+2,2,3

Other combo fillers can be:

Launcher: b+2,1 1,3~3 B! f,f, d/b+2,2,3
" : b,f+2,1 1,3~3 B! f,f, 3,1 f+4
" : b+3, 1,2,3 B! f,f 3,1 f+4

Sweet I'll begin practicing those tonight. Any info on Lars? Hwoarang and Jin were my two favourite characters in T3 and so I always use them in every Tekken I've played since. Oddly enough, I've been a lot more successful beating people with Hwoarang than with Jin as Hwoarang seems to be a whole lot more mashing friendly, not to mention he looks crazy stylish pulling off his moves. Kazuya, Raven, Baek, and Feng are other characters I've enjoyed playing from time to time. For T6 though I mainly want to finally learn how to properly play Hwoarang and Jin, as well as learn Lars as he looks cool as fuck.

I was reading the Tekken Zaibatsu on Hwoarang's BnB combo's and I'm sorta really confused by the initial part:

For wall carry, replace everything after "dash, 2,4,2, f,f+3, B!" with 2,4,2,b+4

d/f+2_LFS f+3,3:

- 2,3,3~f,1, dash, 2,4,2, f,f+3, B!
- 3,3~f,1, dash, 2,4,2, f,f+3, B!
- 2,3,1, RFF f+3~3+4, RFS 2, f,f+3, B! (hard)
- f+2, RFF 3,4, RFS 2 ff+3 B! (most damage)
- SSL 2,3,1 4,4,4,4 (wall carry)
- 2,3,1 3~4 u/f+3+4 (wall carry)

What exactly does the bolded part mean?

For wall carry, replace everything after "dash, 2,4,2, f,f+3, B!" with 2,4,2,b+4

If you get the opponent in a juggle state and the wall is really near, you'll might want to shape the combo to adjust to the wall.

So where you'll do dash, 2,4,2, f,f+3, B! in open stages, you'll want to change it to "2,4,2,b+4" so that it sends the opponent far enough to reach the wall. You get more damage If you were successful and they land on it. Hence you gotta carry the opponent to the wall. Wall carry.

d/f+2_LFS f+3,3:

LFS, or Left flamingo stance. Press f+3 to get into the stance. once in there, use the f+3,3 to launch the opponent. If you connect with that attack or the d/f+2, then the detailed follow up juggles will connect.

Sweet I'll begin practicing those tonight. Any info on Lars? Hwoarang and Jin were my two favourite characters in T3 and so I always use them in every Tekken I've played since. Oddly enough, I've been a lot more successful beating people with Hwoarang than with Jin as Hwoarang seems to be a whole lot more mashing friendly, not to mention he looks crazy stylish pulling off his moves. Kazuya, Raven, Baek, and Feng are other characters I've enjoyed playing from time to time. For T6 though I mainly want to finally learn how to properly play Hwoarang and Jin, as well as learn Lars as he looks cool as fuck.

There is plenty of info on playing Lars but If you want a quick guide use these:

1,2 jabs - They slightly track so good for catching sidesteppers.
b+1 - another decent anti sidestepping tool.
d/f+1 - Basic poke, throw these out.
d/b+2,1 - has some funky properties but good pokes.
ff+4,3 - Extremely punishable low, mid attack but it's a pretty hard to see it coming. If the 4 hits the 3 is guaranteed. 40 damage together so If you score two of these in a match, that's half the opponent's life bar.
crouch d/f+1+2 - Use a safe attack like d+4 or d/b+1 to get into crouch then follow up with this move, decent damage.
f+2,4 - Your 'go to' punisher. Use it after you block an unsafe attack from the opponent. 38 damage.
d/f+2 - another decent move, gives you a combo on counter hit.
u/f+3 - really good crushing properties, If you see the opponent sweep and throw this out, you'll beat out their attack.
u/f+4 - A hopkick with a cooler animation, crushes lows attacks.
d/b+4 - decent sweep, will evade high attacks and some mids I think. Will juggle on counter hit.
f+1+2 - Really good fast launch, If you sidestepped an opponent's attack quickly follow it up with this for a juggle.

The juggles are easy to learn so get them down and then set up a decent offense with these moves. Might also do well to mix up with some throws here and there. And this is why I hate this character so much.

SVVvx.gif

AAK

Lars is truly a beast. IMO the best character in the game.

I watched a match once with a Korean player named Rain just do these moves:

b+1
FC, d/f+1+2
d/b+2,1
f+2,4

NOTHING else. The entire match. Not even a single juggle. No dynamic entry shennanigans, no grabs.

1,2 Jab pressure to control the space
b+1, to catch anyone sidestepping and a mid when they're ducking
FC,d/f+1+2 to hit anyone not blocking low
d/b+2,1 for whiff punishing
and f+2,4 to punish any unsafe move.

I couldn't believe my eyes at how crazy good that character. And he still could have used f+1+2; f,b+2,1; u/f+3 among so many others.

As for juggles with Lars, yeah, like FW said they're pretty easy:

f+1+2, d/b+2, d/b+2,1, f,f+2,1, B! d/b+2~f, 1
u/f+4, f+1,2,3~d, 1, f,f+2,1 B! f,f d/f+1, f,f d/b+2~f, 1
ws+1_f,f+2, ~f, 3, d/b+2,1 f,b+2,1 B! f,f d/f+1, f,f d/b+2~f, 1
u/f+3, d+2, ws+2,1 B! f,f d/f+1, f,f d/b+2~f, 1
CH d/b+4, ws+2,1 B! d/b+2~f, 1

Degen

I don't know who I'd call the best in the game, but Lars is super annoying. does every move he throws out have to come with some quick little spin-flip-dodge?

Onemic

Thanks for the Lars info, didn't know he was that much of a beast, I just love his armor lol. What exactly does _ mean anyway? The OP has a definition for ( _ ) But I have yet to see that anywhere.

Onemic

_ is the same as 'OR'

I.e. you can do f,f+2 OR ws+1. either of those inputs work.

Ah, thanks for that. It was confusing me to hell and back. One thing I've noticed for Tekken is that the combos and movelist are extremely deep in comparison to SF4 and even KOFXIII. Loving it so far.

EDIT: Damn it, another one, this time it's not in the OP. what does DE and CH stand for?

Dynamic Entry and Counter Hit.

DE is a stance for Lars and the other is self explanatory. ie: "you get a combo on ch"

I don't know who I'd call the best in the game, but Lars is super annoying. does every move he throws out have to come with some quick little spin-flip-dodge?

Pretty much. Dammit Heiha.... err Harada and his late night drinking. D:

Sayah

Lars and Bob are the most annoying characters to ever be created in Tekken history. And they're both post-T5 characters.

Onemic

Dynamic Entry and Counter Hit.

DE is a stance for Lars and the other is self explanatory. ie: "you get a combo on ch"

Pretty much. Dammit Heiha.... Harada and his late night drinking. D:

Ah.

Okay last notation questions I promise!

FDFT, FUFT, FDFA, BT

I swear Zaibatsu does its absolute best to make sure newcomers never understand the game :/

There's too much data to process in Tekken and Zaibatsu is all complete community work.

That and we never get any decent bibles for the games or in game tutorials. :/

Anyways.

"FDFT, FUFT, FDFA, BT"

Looking up Lei are we?

Face Down Feet Toward

Face Up Feet Towards

Face Down Feat Away

Back Turned.

It's basically saying what position the character is in. So If the character is FDFT, it means he's lying down with his face down with the feet towards the opponent. FUFT is the character lying on his back with his face up with his feet towards the opponent. I'm pretty sure you can get the others pretty easily from here.

Might want to consider reading TZ's legend. Just use ctrl+f to find the notation your confused on:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/legend.php

AAK

Fun fact:

Armor King can get ~ 90 damage with his tech trap juggle on anyone in the cast:

f,n,d,d/f+2, SSR, d/f+1, 1+2,2 d+2 B! 3+4 1+4

If they tech, I believe he gets 90 damage, if not, I believe I get 86.

Can't do it online because of the lag :(

Onemic

There's too much data to process in Tekken and Zaibatsu is all complete community work.

That and we never get any decent bibles for the games. :/

Anyways.

"FDFT, FUFT, FDFA, BT"

Looking up Lei are we?

Face Down Feet Toward

Face Up Feet Towards

Face Down Feat Away

Back Turned.

It's basically saying what position the character is in. So If the character is FDFT, it means he's lying down with his face down with the feet towards the opponent. FUFT is the character lying on his back with his face up with his feet towards the opponent.

Might want to consider reading TZ's legend. Just use ctrl+f to find the notation your confused on:

http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/legend.php

They are actually all combos for Lars found in his bible on Zaibatsu and on the combo thread. Had no idea there was a legend section, was looking all over for it on the site and couldn't find it, thanks.

If anyone wants to use me as a punching bag, I'll be up for a few matches.

AAK

Add me on PSN: AAK0924

I'll try to be on in 20 min.

Actually, wait, does that 110 combo involve his Snake CH 2 into Dragon 1+2 crumple stun???? Hmmm, it's looking slightly possible ;)

Actually, wait, does that 110 combo involve his Snake CH 2 into Dragon 1+2 crumple stun???? Hmmm, it's looking slightly possible ;)

nah CH SNA 2~f DGN 1+2, u/f+1, 2, fn+2, ff+2 B! ff+3,4 only does 95 damage.

According to Practice mode though, TGR1+2, ff+3~b, u/fn+4, f+3,1, ff+2 B! ff+3,4 combos. ;)

Sayah

I'm glad AAK likes to be on the right side. Can't do half my stuff on the right side, lol.

Edit Seems like me and onemic can't get a good connection. :/

Onemic

ggs

I actually won one! Lars and Hwoa are super fun to use, I have yet to try out Jin online though. I dunno why my matches with Sayah always messed up, considering that you give me around 3-4 bars and when I initially played online I had no synching/lag issues with all the 2 bar dudes I was playing.

Totally not related to gameplay, but why exactly does Jin hate Kazuya so much? I understand the hate for Heihachi considering he betrayed him and all in 3, but from what I gather in the 4 plot(never played it) is that Jin hated Kazuya and wanted to kill him from the outset even though he had never met his father before.

GrayFoxPL

I remember when Lars was first released on arcades. Reading forums and rapports from Asian arcades the impressions were that Lars is mid-mid tier at best. "Like hell he is" - I thought. I think it took about 10 months to a year before people started to realize his true potential.

Doomshine

Goddamnit, why can't you guys live in Europe, I'm stuck playing French people in SC5.

Well I guess I should be hating on T6 netcode, I can even play ok against people in the US in SC5.

AAK

Totally not related to gameplay, but why exactly does Jin hate Kazuya so much? I understand the hate for Heihachi considering he betrayed him and all in 3, but from what I gather in the 4 plot(never played it) is that Jin hated Kazuya and wanted to kill him from the outset even though he had never met his father before.

GrayFox might be able to correct me on this but I believe it's because Kazuya represents everything he hates. Jin resents the Devil gene within him and blames Kazuya for it. That's one thing, the other thing was that Kazuya just tried to extract all the life out of Jin the moment they met when Jin was tied up from being knocked unconscious by Heihachi's Tekken Force.

Goddamnit, why can't you guys live in Europe, I'm stuck playing French people in SC5.

Well I guess I should be hating on T6 netcode, I can even play ok against people in the US in SC5.

While I do have fun (Sayah, Degen, Onemic, Rolento even get 4 bar connections living in the East coast) There are still moments that leave me fuming because lags screwed up my input. Here's to hoping for TTT2 to being an improvement, but even then, I'm scared it's still going to be worse than SC5. Harada has always mentioned how Tekken has significantly more data than other fighting games to transmit (probably because the core gameplay was always designed that way and didn't have netplay in mind) and hence my doubts. But here's to hoping for the best.

GrayFoxPL

I'd like to play, but I got lost with all the games and I need drive space for T6. Nothing installed all space taken by psn games. It'll take me few days to get back.

T6 has a really old netcode now. It's given they've improved over years.

T6 has a really old netcode now. It's given they've improved over years.

I wouldn't just take that for granted. I think Namco is making it more a priority since their Tekken characters were just recently featured in a game that had terrible online issues. But you never know what could happen. If it would help, I would be all for downscaling the graphics to get a better online experience. Something that would be like VF4: Evo's Classic mode. Not sure if it would help though.

After getting back in to Tekken the past few days, and getting my ass beat, I've noticed that it helps if I lift weights in between losing my matches. The frustration goes away and I can concentrate more. It has probably saved a few controllers as well.

I'm still committed to playing this game on stick. But I usually switch back to controller halfway through because I'm tired of sidewalking or backdashing at the wrong time. But I'll get there.

It seems like a lot of people here play King. I thought he was a pretty irrelevant character, and that's part of the reason I play him. I'm having trouble making my way in to throw range against some characters. Also online makes it so hard to punish properly, I can't even get 2,1 to hit sometimes.

I think I may try out Lars or Bob. Lars has a iSW type move right? He just seems so boring otherwise. Or maybe I'll just get online and spam Kuma's fart. Who knows.

AAK

I wouldn't just take that for granted. I think Namco is making it more a priority since their Tekken characters were just recently featured in a game that had terrible online issues. But you never know what could happen. If it would help, I would be all for downscaling the graphics to get a better online experience. Something that would be like VF4: Evo's Classic mode. Not sure if it would help though.

I don't think it has to do with the graphics as much. I'm no networking expert but from what I understand is that every given moment one player sends packets of data to the other over the internet. Those packets of data contain everything from the input, to the state stun of the player, the running or walking state, the counter hit state, the crouching or grounded state, etc, etc. Because tekken has an astronomical amount of different types of states any given player can be in at a given time, these packets of data need to contain all of that data. Because that piece of data is so massive Tekken lags so much more than other fighting games despite investing so much into the netcode.

Hence because these "packets" are already even larger in TTT2 considering there are 2 characters per team this time, my fears aren't subdued yet.

I'm still committed to playing this game on stick. But I usually switch back to controller halfway through because I'm tired of sidewalking or backdashing at the wrong time. But I'll get there.

I know what you mean, playing on stick really does make movement a pain especially online. Backdash cancel into block? No, the system still reads that I'm backdashing and I'll eat the attack since I hastily repeated the input because of the lag! Same thing with sidestepping, sometimes I don't see the sidestep come out and I repeat but then the system reads it as a jump, and hence resulting in me tearing numerous strnads of hair out of my head.

It seems like a lot of people here play King. I thought he was a pretty irrelevant character, and that's part of the reason I play him. I'm having trouble making my way in to throw range against some characters. Also online makes it so hard to punish properly, I can't even get 2,1 to hit sometimes.

Trust me, even I can't punish properly online.

Top Bottom