• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupinko

Hey MarkMan, what can we do to get hooked up with those Evo shirts? I really want them, especially since they're American Apparel.

ShinMaruku

Because we want to play it.
Well money talks and if they keep them profits from Arcades it would be in their intrest to wait till it tails off so con

DEATH™;194521754 said:
You people need to pick up another hobby aside/alongside Tekken.

No, other fighting games don't count

I am working on a media project with my mates and am in the crazy transhumanism stuff

Murray said as soon as FR releases the content is then coming to consoles in an interview recently so given that, it's possible for a 2016 release date.

Either that or Murray's lying but he's usually on top of what he says. Given it won't take time to put the game on PS4, that's why a lot of people think it can release this year.

I'm basically going to stick with Murray's comments because I don't think they'd lie to us personally. Like I said above, it only takes 2-3 months to bring a big game to the PS4 according to Cerny's comments so bringing the arcade version to the PS4 wouldn't take that long, it's about the extras and if Namco is going to hold back for some reasons. Also since last-gen Tekken games usually release later on in the year.
Indeed they would not lie, but it's really in Namco's wheelhouse and these arcade profits are something they should milk as long as possible.

DEATH™

I would like to know that as well.

I'm sure everyone here has other hobbies.

What does that have to do with anticipation for this game?

Because most are acting like its a carnal sin for namco to not give you the game right here right now

Its just a game people. Do something else instead of waiting. A year or 2 will pass by like its nothing

AAK

I am going to be honest, I don't think Berserk is very good. I only like it when Guts is by himself.

I think Berserk has to be one of the most offensive portrayals of women in a series, anime or live action I've ever watched. Any piece of fiction where the sole purpose of the one and only female character is to repeatedly get sexually abused for the sake of developing the main character can go blow itself.

Dereck

I think Berserk has to be one of the most offensive portrayals of women in a series anime or live action I've ever watched. Any piece of fiction where the sole purpose of the one and only female character is to repeatedly get sexually abused for the sake of developing the main character can go blow itself.
Hahaha

I think Berserk has to be one of the most offensive portrayals of women in a series, anime or live action I've ever watched. Any piece of fiction where the sole purpose of the one and only female character is to repeatedly get sexually abused for the sake of developing the main character can go blow itself.

tumblr_nooy0uPdFZ1tq4of6o1_400.gif

OMG, AAK, you're the best. Thank you.

DEATH™;194521754 said:
You people need to pick up another hobby aside/alongside Tekken.

No, other fighting games don't count

DEATH™;194557100 said:
Because most are acting like its a carnal sin for namco to not give you the game right here right now

Its just a game people. Do something else instead of waiting. A year or 2 will pass by like its nothing

Well I care about the game competitively and to see sooooo many people Hype for T7 and have no idea for the release date? People lose interest and move on and when T7 does come out its always "Oh that's out?"

Happened with T6 and TTT2.

Sayah

DEATH™;194557100 said:

That's not how it works.

Two years is not a short period of time. It would be one thing if no one had access to the game. But the fact that one segment of the world can play as much as they want, destroy everyone in tournaments like EVO due to an unfair advantage, and pretty much figure out most of the game before the rest of us even get our hands on it is a major major nuisance. Then, there's also the fact that after seeing it being played for over 2 years, most people no longer have any interest because it's really an "old" game by then.

Death, its a Tekken thread on an enthusiast gaming forum. We're going to talk about Tekken here (most of the time), even if it bitching about release dates. That's what enthusiast gamers do.

AAK

From that other thread:

Honestly I can co-sign this 100%. It was a sad day when Tekken became a Street Fighter groupie.
I don't call it sad but it's definitely weird. Soulcalibur 5 wasn't so blatant when it did some of the same things

For Tekken 7, every design choice is explained on Twitter with, "We did it this way because Street Fighter does it this way and Street Fighter is the greatest thing ever"

Degen is too good...

Now if only they copied the philosophy of reanimating their cast like SF....

lupinko

I think the PS3 delay was for different reasons.

Remember Tekken 6 was supposed to be PS3 exclusive and the PS3 not selling like hotcakes in addition to probably Microsoft hats of money likely had something to do with that delay.

I don't buy the PS3 being hard too program for, with the exception of maybe this generation (or probably not, the Tekken 7 board is probably a similar spec midrange PC like the PS4 is), every Namco arcade board since System 11 has always been PlayStation based hardware.

Tekken 6 and Tag 2 and their variants ran on System 357 and 369 respectively, which is more or else a PS3.

cordy

Banned
I think the PS3 delay was for different reasons.

Remember Tekken 6 was supposed to be PS3 exclusive and the PS3 not selling like hotcakes in addition to probably Microsoft hats of money likely had something to do with that delay.

I don't buy the PS3 being hard too program for, with the exception of maybe this generation (or probably not, the Tekken 7 board is probably a similar spec midrange PC like the PS4 is), every Namco arcade board since System 11 has always been PlayStation based hardware.

Tekken 6 and Tag 2 and their variants ran on System 357 and 369 respectively, which is more or else a PS3.

Eh, Harada himself said years ago that the PS3 was hard to develop on but they got used to it. Even if every game has been based on PS hardware that doesn't mean that the games weren't hard to program. Sony's own developers said it was hard to program on the PS3 as well and that's using the base hardware with info other developers didn't have.

Since we're on this I found a nice article that describes from a developer how hard it's been to develop on each console from the PS1/N64 to the PS3/360. When looking at this keep in mind Cerny said the PS4 is as easy to develop on as the PS1.

I thought this was pretty interesting.
Cory Bloyd who works at Munkeyfun studio has revealed how hard/easy it was developing for different consoles ranging from N64 to the PS3. And you guessed it right, the PS3 was the hardest.

“I’ll add that even though I give Sony a hard time, I really do enjoy pounding on their machines. Sony consoles have always been a challenge. But, if you are willing to work with them instead of against them, they love you back tenfold,” he said.

PlayStation 1:
Everything is simple and straightforward. With a few years of dedication, one person could understand the entire PS1 down to the bit level. Compared to what you could do on PCs of the time, it was amazing. But, every step of the way you said “Really? I gotta do it that way? God damn. OK, I guess… Give me a couple weeks.” There was effectively no debugger. You launched your build and watched what happened.

N64: Everything just kinda works. For the most part, it was fast and flexible. You never felt like you were utilizing it well. But, it was OK because your half-assed efforts usually looked better than most PS1 games. Each megabyte on the cartridge cost serious money. There was a debugger, but the debugger would sometimes have completely random bugs such as off-by-one-errors in the type determination of the watch window (displaying your variables by reinterpreting the the bits as the type that was declared just prior to the actual type of the variable —true story).

Dreamcast:
The CPU was weird (Hitatchi SH-4). The GPU was weird (a predecessor to the PowerVR chips in modern iPhones). There were a bunch of features you didn’t know how to use. Microsoft kinda, almost talked about setting it up as a PC-like DirectX box, but didn’t follow through. That’s wouldn’t have worked out anyway. It seemed like it could be really cool. But man, the PS2 is gonna be so much better!

PS2: You are handed a 10-inch thick stack of manuals written by Japanese hardware engineers. The first time you read the stack, nothing makes any sense at all. The second time your read the stack, the 3rd book makes a bit more sense because of what you learned in the 8th book. The machine has 10 different processors (IOP, SPU1&2, MDEC, R5900, VU0&1, GIF, VIF, GS) and 6 different memory spaces (IOP, SPU, CPU, GS, VU0&1) that all work in completely different ways. There are so many amazing things you can do, but everything requires backflips through invisible blades of segfault. Getting the first triangle to appear on the screen took some teams over a month because it involved routing commands through R5900->VIF->VU1->GIF->GS oddities with no feedback about what your were doing wrong until you got every step along the way to be correct. If you were willing to do twist your game to fit the machine, you could get awesome results. There was a debugger for the main CPU (R5900). It worked pretty OK. For the rest of the processors, you just had to write code without bugs.

GameCube: I didn’t work with the GC much. It seems really flexible. Like you could do anything, but nothing would be terribly bad or great. The GPU wasn’t very fast, but it’s features were tragically underutilized compared to the Xbox. The CPU had incredibly low-latency RAM. Any messy, pointer-chasing, complicated data structure you could imagine should be just fine (in theory). Just do it. But, more than half of the RAM was split off behind an amazingly high-latency barrier. So, you had to manually organize your data in to active vs bulk. It had a half-assed SIMD that would do 2 floats at a time instead of 1 or 4.

PSP: Didn’t do much here either. It was played up as a trimmed-down PS2, but from the inside it felt more like a bulked-up PS1. They tried to bolt-on some parts to make it less of a pain to work with, but those parts felt clumsy compared to the original design. Having pretty much the full-speed PS2 rasterizer for a smaller resolution display meant you didn’t worry about blending pixels.

Xbox: Smells like a PC. There were a few tricks you could dig into to push the machine. But, for the most part it was enough of a blessing to have a single, consistent PC spec to develop against. The debugger worked! It really, really worked! PIX was hand-delivered by angels.

Xbox360: Other than the big-endian thing, it really smells like a PC —until you dug into it. The GPU is great —except that the limited EDRAM means that you have to draw your scene twice to comply with the anti-aliasing requirement? WTF! Holy Crap there are a lot of SIMD registers! 4 floats x 128 registers x 6 registers banks = 12K of registers! You are handed DX9 and everything works out of the box. But, if you dig in, you find better ways to do things. Deeper and deeper. Eventually, your code looks nothing like PC-DX9 and it works soooo much better than it did before! The debugger is awesome! PIX! PIX! I Kiss You!

PS3: A 95 pound box shows up on your desk with a printout of the 24-step instructions for how to turn it on for the first time. Everyone tries, most people fail to turn it on. Eventually, one guy goes around and sets up everyone else’s machine. There’s only one CPU. It seems like it might be able to do everything, but it can’t. The SPUs seem like they should be really awesome, but not for anything you or anyone else is doing. The CPU debugger works pretty OK. There is no SPU debugger. There was nothing like PIX at first. Eventually some Sony 1st-party devs got fed up and made their own PIX-like GPU debugger. The GPU is very, very disappointing… Most people try to stick to working with the CPU, but it can’t handle the workload. A few people dig deep into the SPUs and, Dear God, they are fast! Unfortunately, they eventually figure out that the SPUs need to be devoted almost full time making up for the weaknesses of the GPU.

http://gamingbolt.com/developer-exp...loping-for-each-console-ps3-being-the-hardest

Also IIRC didn't Harada say they had to create some new tech in order to develop T6? Some type of new system, I'm not sure.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hey MarkMan, what can we do to get hooked up with those Evo shirts? I really want them, especially since they're American Apparel.

I had about 50 of them and gave them to subscribers on my Twitch channel. I have maybe 10 left, but I gotta check sizes.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Again, I hope they're back to doing bi-weekly character reveals. 'Cause then we'd be getting one on Tuesday.

Dereck

Death, its a Tekken thread on an enthusiast gaming forum. We're going to talk about Tekken here (most of the time), even if it bitching about release dates. That's what enthusiast gamers do.
If Tekken 7 was out we wouldn't be having this conversation. See what happens, it makes us turn on each other. It's like we're on an episode of the Walking Dead where people get pissed at each other because fucking zombies are walking around and we can't find any more cans of applesauce in abandoned houses.

There's a Josie player on the Greentekken Twitch stream right now, just got demo'd twice down to Genbu. Keeps on trying though.

People calling her... Josie Resolve.

2tYt6V9.gif

Pachimari

He probably don't like the stage himself.

I'm watching the trailer again, and I liked this shot:

And this is probably my favorite stage in Tekken 7 so far:

I really hope they bring some more and better stages with FR. Most of the stages are so dark, gritty, brown - reminds me of Tekken 6.

I like the snow stage too:

This stage looks drab:

Here's some more Lucky Chloe for ya, if you don't like her cat-one:

I really love this costume, I'm probably gonna have an alternate with this exact one:

Manbig

Due to Amazon apparently having very little stock of the Mad Catz TES, to the point where pre orders after the end of Janurary would have to wait until April to get their orders, I ended up on a rollercoaster ride and ended up just settling for the Chun Li TE2. Not a fan of the blue case, or the art work, but I'll deal.

GrayFoxPL

Played some Jack today. Really want to learn proper Jackness. He high crushes for days, but he can't low crush for shit. Best thing seem to be uf+2 but it's 25 frames slow, plus on block at least. But shit, basically there's nothing else unless you count slowmotion jumpkicks and butt squash uf+3+4.

Wish they gave him some good low crush in T7:FR. Not hopkicks and stuff but at least something like df+3+4 but going upwards or fast jumping punch.

Played some Jack today. Really want to learn proper Jackness. He high crushes for days, but he can't low crush for shit. Best thing seem to be uf+2 but it's 25 frames slow, plus on block at least. But shit, basically there's nothing else unless you count slowmotion jumpkicks and butt squash uf+3+4.

Wish they gave him some good low crush in T7:FR. Not hopkicks and stuff but at least something like df+3+4 but going upwards or fast jumping punch.

He really doesn't need a high crush, just df+2 all day lol

Manbig

Don't overly rely on the crush system. Jack doesn't need a low crush, because he outranges pretty much every single low poke in the game. When you're playing as Jack, your number 1 priority should be your positioning. You should avoid being put in a situation where you have to rely on up close sidestepping, or guessing mid/low as much as possible. This is where stuff like d/b1 and the deceptive range of d4 come into play. You use that kind of stuff to gain a quick life lead, and then just sit back and let the opponent kill themselves using your superior range.

He's basically SFV Birdie. A character that can be played very simple, but requires the player to be really good at making reads, and having great reactions, to really be effective.

GrayFoxPL

Don't overly rely on the crush system. Jack doesn't need a low crush, because he outranges pretty much every single low poke in the game. When you're playing as Jack, your number 1 priority should be your positioning. You should avoid being put in a situation where you have to rely on up close sidestepping, or guessing mid/low as much as possible. This is where stuff like d/b1 and the deceptive range of d4 come into play. You use that kind of stuff to gain a quick life lead, and then just sit back and let the opponent kill themselves using your superior range.

He's basically SFV Birdie. A character that can be played very simple, but requires the player to be really good at making reads, and having great reactions, to really be effective.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about using d+4 with him. I need to get a good fell for his range.

Fraeon

What's the scariest move that you can get hit by after a blocked df2 from max range? Is it even feasible that your opponent will do an electric for instance.

I assume it's something like Feng's b1+2 but it's an interesting thought experiment.

For the city stage, I'd rather not have the sunset version.

But for Souq and Jungle Outpost, the colorful versions in vanilla T7 are by far more vibrant and superior.

I'll wait till my connection gets fixed. Think my modem has issues.

But it looks so washed out and gray, I think if it was done like Dragons Nest it would look much better.

I agree with you on the other stages though.

Sayah

But it looks so washed out and gray, I think if it was done like Dragons Nest it would look much better.

I agree with you on the other stages though.

The new filter gives it a grittier look - and it's a perfect look for that stage because you have destroyed buildings everywhere. It adds to the atmosphere.

For Souq and Jungle Outpost, though, they are more vibrant and colorful stages that don't benefit from the new filter.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The new filter gives it a grittier look - and it's a perfect look for that stage because you have destroyed buildings everywhere. It adds to the atmosphere.

For Souq and Jungle Outpost, though, they are more vibrant and colorful stages that don't benefit from the new filter.

If all "versions" of a stage were selectable, that'd be cool too. That way both sides of preference can get what they want, and the only catch is that you'd sometimes have to deal with the other side's preference.

That is, if it's not an irrevocable change that they've made to these stages.

Sayah

If all "versions" of a stage were selectable, that'd be cool too. That way both sides of preference can get what they want, and the only catch is that you'd sometimes have to deal with the other side's preference.

That is, if it's not an irrevocable change that they've made to these stages.

Of course, getting all versions of all stages would be most ideal. I don't see why not either.

Manbig

What's the scariest move that you can get hit by after a blocked df2 from max range? Is it even feasible that your opponent will do an electric for instance.

I assume it's something like Feng's b1+2 but it's an interesting thought experiment.

I've gotta be honest with you, I never really practiced punishing it from max range much. I only know that Jack has to change up his juggle a bit when he connects it from max range. Depending on what they give him in FR, things might get really weird for him in regards to trying to get a full juggle in that situation.

I just realized something hella weird about the way I do point blank iWR moves on 2P side. I can't do the fff fast enough with normal taps of my thumb so I somehow subconsciously developed a way of causing my hand to like violently spasm in order to make it possible. Problem is this spasm is actually physically exhausting for my hand and I can only do it so many times before I start fucking up the input. I need some sort of strength and endurance exercises for m hands lol

kdash7

Okay, I'm probably gonna go for Street Fighter V on Feb 16, and starve for the rest of the month. So which of these two controllers would be best to get?

Hori Fighting Commander 4

Fighting Commander (PS4/PC)

I have got the Hori Fight Commander 4 and I really like it. Its got an option to rotate the d-pad up to 20 degree clockwise. Not used it much honestly. But the d-pad is one of the best out there. It also has R/L toggle switch. It really does feel like its made for the gamepad enthusiast. I don't have the new fighting commander pad so cant say anything about it. But it does look exactly the same as FC4 minus rotating d-pad, the R/L toggle and the extend handle grip at the d-pad area. If you don't want those features then I suggest you go for the newer version fight commander. Its cheaper too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom