• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Chumley

Banned
So what's your reason for preferring low framerates then?
I can't think of any good reason for someone to prefer it other than being what they are conditioned to.
The type of content being viewed doesn't change what framerates are required for smooth motion.

Films that were shot in 24 are intended to be viewed in 24, and as a D.P. I think I know what I'm talking about when I say that there's a specific emotional reason for wanting to maintain that in the era of trumotion or whatever. It's not a "purist" argument, it literally is ingrained in the artistic intent of the director. If you want to try and position yourself on a high horse above the director of the film, go ahead and try.

However, if we're talking about films like The Hobbit that were actually shot at 48fps, that's a different story. It's becoming more common for filmmakers to start thinking about shooting their films at a higher framerate, and with that comes a different artistic intent. I personally think anything higher than 24fps breaks the illusion of cinema, but it's early days and there's probably a goldmine of artistic possibilities behind it. I wasn't a fan of the way it was done in The Hobbit because at the expense of camera movements appearing "smoother", it exposed the CGI moreso than it did at 24 and as a result made everything look faker.

Also, your baseless assertion that people like me don't like 60fps in video games is laughably wrong. Two entirely different mediums, two entirely different conversations.

tokkun

When you realize that the "soap opera effect" is just a disparaging term that a certain group of people have coined for judder-free motion, you might start to reject that.
Why would I ever want things to judder as they move across the screen? The source has nothing to do with it.

I don't believe that this is completely down to pre-conceptions about what a move 'should' look like. I think that 24fps also adds a large enough disconnect from the way people see the world normally to make it feel a little abstract. And I think this helps avoid 'uncanny valley' effects with films. That is to say, the closer film approaches the look of real life, the viewer paradoxically becomes more conscious about the things that don't look natural. With HFR content, it seems like viewers often complain that they become conscious that they are looking at actors on a set in a way that they weren't before.

People didn't have the same problem with games going from 15fps to 60fps because games are still far abstracted from reality. The same is true for animated films.

It doesn't help that there were so many complaints about bad effects/sets/costumes etc. for The Hobbit when that had nothing to do with the framerate - but people were eager to put the blame on that.

I did not see The Hobbit, but my understanding from reviews was not that theses things were inherently worse than other films, but that the greater clarity of the image made it easier to spot flaws in the sets and costumes. You can say strictly speaking that this is down to motion blur rather than framerate, but the director chose to go with less motion blur because of the higher framerate, so it's not like they are completely unrelated.

Geneijin

I did not see The Hobbit, but my understanding from reviews was not that theses things were inherently worse than other films, but that the greater clarity of the image made it easier to spot flaws in the sets and costumes. You can say strictly speaking that this is down to motion blur rather than framerate, but the director chose to go with less motion blur because of the higher framerate, so it's not like they are completely unrelated.
There's a movie directed by Ang Lee at 120 fps where makeup was so apparent, they had to do away with it entirely. There's certainly a different approach needed for that kind of film making when you have to account for that level of detail.

DEADLINE: When did you take the leap and focus on 120fps 4K?

LEE: We did our own test to see what 120 looks like. And then, finally, we saw the Whole Shebang, and that happened a few weeks before we start shooting. At that point, 60 frames-per-second was for sure our goal. I saw the 60fps test first from James Cameron, who was promoting his own thing. That made me think, this doesn't just have to be 48fps. I thought 48fps was it, but it seemed like people didn't like it so much [when Peter Jackson used it in the first Hobbit film].

DEADLINE: I remember the criticism. What did you think of that?

LEE: I think it was moving in the right direction but people weren't used to it. The filmmakers were trying something new, but in an old movie format and story. People didn't know what to say, so they said things like, it's like a giant TV, which it is not really fair. It was just something new. The second one I think works better both from the filmmaking side and for the audience because they're used to it more, which is part of the process. With this, we were much cheaper. Once we saw the 120fps, and that I could do a more fully experimental thing, I just couldn't resist. We're not a big commercial movie, so why not try?

GERVAIS: The very first test we did was October of 2014. We were evaluating cameras and 3D rigs. At that point we had already knew we needed to shoot at 120fps because, if you shoot at 60, our issue was how do you make a 24-frame version for the projectors that can't do 60?

LEE: Television has 30.

GERVAIS: Because 24 doesn't divide evenly into 60, it means that we could have simulated it but then we would have had to touch up all the shots up with VFX to fix the errors. Every shot in your movie becomes visual effect at that point. So it's a big cost add.

DEADLINE: How did you get around that?

GERVAIS: That's where the decision to make 120fps came from. It started with mathematics; 120 is 60 multiplied by two and it's 24 multiplied by five so it's easy to discard frames or average frames to get back down without needing to involve visual effects whatsoever. It was a mastering format idea, but then once we had made that decision to shoot in 120, what does it actually look like? Our theory going into it was, maybe it looks like the jump from 24 to 48, which is a pretty big difference. Going from 48 to 60 is a little bit less of a difference. We thought maybe it might be a case of diminishing returns, that maybe we don't see much difference. And then we got it up on a screen, only two weeks before we started shooting, and we saw it was going to be something else totally.

LEE: It was not a movie.

DEADLINE: Was that a great moment?

LEE: The crew was shaken. Like, how do we make this movie? It's like all the movie magic we did, all the tricks we know, out the window. That moment was pretty...

GERVAIS: There were a lot of pale faces.

LEE: Dead silence. No discussion. We all saw it, and walked out. For a long time nobody speaks. It's just a dead silence.

DEADLINE: And then what?

LEE: We were already set to make the movie. It was like, what do we do now?

GERVAIS: Everybody is like, back to the drawing board, on everything. Because you see all the makeup, and you see that the set looks fake. You see everything.

DEADLINE: So the make-believe element is gone? I saw those scenes, and it was as stark and fully realized as the three of us sitting here, right now.

LEE: To me, the biggest thing is the acting. How do you act, in 120fps? Everyone knew their lines, but how do they pretend everything they will do is happening for the first time?

DEADLINE: So instead of enjoying this technological breakthrough, it sounds like your reaction was, ”We've created a monster." What adjustments did you have to make? You mentioned makeup.

LEE: Even preparing for 60fps meant you just don't use makeup, and [Luisa Abel] had spent months of preparation on their skin tones. They had to be treated like babies.

GERVAIS: They were on special diets.

LEE: She found this silicone-based makeup because we found that it can see through skin. You can feel the person's essence. So if somebody didn't sleep well or some blemishes start to pop out, you can cover it with a silicone base but that's see through. I'm sure in the future they can invent makeup or other ways to do makeup, but we're the first ones to do it. We didn't have any answers except, no makeup.

DEADLINE: How did your actors feel about that?

LEE: The young ones probably thought, all movies are like this. The experienced actors, I think they were nervous. I just told them, ”Trust me. You'll be OK." When they were cast, we knew by then we wanted to do 120fps but I hadn't seen it with actors, even at 60. I told them, ”I probably won't use makeup. Just prepare for it. Are you OK with that?" They go, ”OK, fine."

CREMSteve

Looking for calibration settings on Panny's DX800, but they're impossible to find. Is this just a set that's really new or one that hasn't sold well? The TV itself seems fantastic, been using it for a week or so, but I want to calibrate as best I can because I'm still using the Standard settings.

There's a movie directed by Ang Lee at 120 fps where makeup was so apparent, they had to do away with it entirely. There's certainly a different approach needed for that kind of film making when you have to account for that level of detail.

I think a lot of the issues with The Hobbit films, too, came from how they filmed it. I'm not sure if you can handle camera pans, for example, exactly the same at a higher frame rate.

A future generation of children are going to look back at 24Hz content the same way many current children view low frame-rate hand-drawn animation.

At 4K HDR, the low frame rate becomes so apparent as an issue and a bottleneck because so much detail is lost as soon as there is any reasonably fast motion.

To be fair, however, I would kill for us to even move up to 30Hz as the baseline.

KevinG

Same here. I set my Contrast to 100 and OLED to 40 and now ABL doesn't even kick in.. problem solved. Loving this TV!

Originally if a bright whit epicture came on it would become noticably more dim..

After I calibrated (which actually made the picture brighter) ABL never kicked in and It's great. I'll see if I can summon up a more detailed response tomorrow when I have some coffee in me.

I haven't notice ABL myself, but noting your posts to mess around with my settings when I get done with work today.

Also loving my B6.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
My issue now is I am only focusing on what will be wrong with a given TV. I have gone back and forth so many times. I am coming from an 8 year (and well loved) TH-46PZ85U Panasonic 42" plasma. The room it will be in in blindingly bright during the day and almost never fully dark at night.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

This is an issue inherent to HFR films. The things that could easily be hidden in the past by the lower frame rates and resolutions are incredible apparent in this day and age. In the Hobbit things like the armor not being absolutely real armor stood out in several scenes, its not that it looked bad but it didn't look "real" and I know that's a bit of a vague way to describe. This isn't to disparage HFR either but most directors don't seem to know how to work with it yet and we're still in a very experimental touch and go stage where people are still feeling out how to deal with a lot of the issues popping up. I'm sure they'll be figured out over time but there is going to be a lot of stumbling along the way to get there.

tokkun

My issue now is I am only focusing on what will be wrong with a given TV. I have gone back and forth so many times. I am coming from an 8 year (and well loved) TH-46PZ85U Panasonic 42" plasma. The room it will be in in blindingly bright during the day and almost never fully dark at night.

Well, both LCDs and OLEDs can get brighter than a lot of older plasmas could. You could end up frustrated that there are some areas where both technologies do worse than plasma: motion, uniformity, and off-angle performance. If you are not going to be using the screen in dark room settings, personally I think that it is not worth paying the OLED premium unless cost is no barrier.

I'm in ISF dark room and I've got OLED at 45, contrast at 100, brightness at 50. De-judder at 2 and de-blur at 0. Image looks awesome and no motion issues now. Now to figure out game, game HDR, and HDR settings haha

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm in ISF dark room and I've got OLED at 45, contrast at 100, brightness at 50. De-judder at 2 and de-blur at 0. Image looks awesome and no motion issues now. Now to figure out game, game HDR, and HDR settings haha

Really glad you're happy with it.

I keep my oled light in the low 40s as well. It was uncomfortably bright at default.

Really glad you're happy with it.

I keep my oled light in the low 40s as well. It was uncomfortably bright at default.

Thanks. And yeah, it was at 80 initially but it was so bright it almost looked as though there was some clouding. The image also looked really washed out. I suspect I'll still be tinkering with gamma and maybe make slight boosts to the OLED light, but all in all it blows away my KS8000 by a long shot.

I see some of the OLED owners here on this thread have their contrast set to 100 in SDR mode. If I may, does that have anything to do with rtings "recommended" settings (which in combination with other adjustments to grey scale, etc., may or may not produce accurate results on the particular set they've tested)? I mean, I suppose in the end it's all about personal preference, but if your goal is accuracy, you should calibrate contrast yourself against a proper white saturation/contrast pattern. In doing so, you will find that setting it to 100 most often leads to blown-out highlights in SDR content. The accurate/optimal value tends to lie somewhere between 75-85 on the vast majority of professionally calibrated sets.

Let me know if I am overstepping my bounds in making this suggestion here. ;-)

Yawnny

How is the black crush with those settings? I have similar settings as per Rtings settings. Image looks generally spectacular, however there seems to be some black crush ie: lost some detail in the blacks.

An example is the beginning of The Dark Knight where it's zooming in on Joker's back while he's holding his mask.. His black is affected by black crush.

How is the black crush with those settings? I have similar settings as per Rtings settings. Image looks generally spectacular, however there seems to be some black crush ie: lost some detail in the blacks.

An example is the beginning of The Dark Knight where it's zooming in on Joker's back while he's holding his mask.. His black is affected by black crush.

I see some of the OLED owners here on this thread have their contrast set to 100 in SDR mode. If I may, does that have anything to do with rtings "recommended" settings (which in combination with other adjustments to grey scale, etc., may or may not produce accurate results on the particular set they've tested)? I mean, I suppose in the end it's all about personal preference, but if your goal is accuracy, you should calibrate contrast yourself against a proper white saturation/contrast pattern. In doing so, you will find that setting it to 100 most often leads to blown-out highlights in SDR content. The accurate/optimal value tends to lie somewhere between 75-85 on the vast majority of professionally calibrated sets.

Let me know if I am overstepping my bounds in making this suggestion here. ;-)

I admittedly got into some beers last night and played around with the settings based on Rtings' recommendations and stuff I've seen in forums, and I haven't exactly fine tuned to avoid black crush or over saturation yet. I will say that changing the gamma seemed to have a huge impact on this. I currently have it set to 2.2, but may change this if necessary.

holygeesus

Banned
You don't want to be making changes to the 20-point adjustments unless calibrating using tools, as rtings setting are specific to their set and you will likely be doing more harm than good to your own image quality.

You don't want to be making changes to the 20-point adjustments unless calibrating using tools, as rtings setting are specific to their set and you will likely be doing more harm than good to your own image quality.

Yeah, no way I was touching that stuff. I figured changing contrast wasn't a big deal though as it's just one setting and easy to alter.

The near-black detail on the 55" B6 I purchased in early February improved quite a bit after a couple hundred hours of use. After about 300h and a pro calibration I can say I'm pretty happy with it. Now, the black crush on the 65" B6 I've just received today is rather obvious out of the box, so I'm just going tweak gamma and brightness for now. Brightness should be set as high as possible without compromising "pure black." That usually means a value between 51-53 depending on your gamma settings/individual panel.

holygeesus

Banned
Yeah, no way I was touching that stuff. I figured changing contrast wasn't a big deal though as it's just one setting and easy to alter.

Ah cool. You guys must be accustomed to bright TVs though, as mine is set to contrast 84 and oled light 67 and even that is too bright for us when viewing at night. You might want to keep an eye on contrast and avoid setting too high, as you can still clip white detail with these sets. Anything above 84 does on mine. YMMV.

Ah cool. You guys must be accustomed to bright TVs though, as mine is set to contrast 84 and oled light 67 and even that is too bright for us when viewing at night. You might want to keep an eye on contrast and avoid setting too high, as you can still clip white detail with these sets. Anything above 84 does on mine. YMMV.

I'm going to try this tonight. I think boosting the OLED light while lowering contrast may be the perfect solution. I personally have notice the auto dimmer thing yet, so that's not a concern to me at least as of now.

Yawnny

I'm going to try this tonight. I think boosting the OLED light while lowering contrast may be the perfect solution. I personally have notice the auto dimmer thing yet, so that's not a concern to me at least as of now.

Yeah it's funny.. I'm not sure what setting it was that was causing the ABL to kick in but after my adjustments it doesn't kick in whatsoever.

Afrikan

Amazon and some of these other services make it SO HARD to find certain 4K Content.

Amazon mainly pushes their Prime 4K Content.

You can't do a search with the TV's Amazon App (LG C6) to find the movie Elysium in 4K. Even though they have it and many others.

The only way we were able to do it was search for it on our phone's Internet browser...log in to Amazon and purchase it there...then go to the TV's App and find it under library.

Loved the movie by the way... and it supports Dobly Vision.

Why do these services make it so hard to find UHD Content. Amazon, Netflix, Vudu....

and I hate that when you do find some of these movies, you can only buy them.. (but thats on the studios)

Yawnny

Amazon and some of these other services make it SO HARD to find certain 4K Content.

Amazon mainly pushes their Prime 4K Content.

You can't do a search with the TV's Amazon App (LG C6) to find the movie Elysium in 4K. Even though they have it and many others.

The only way we were able to do it was search for it on our phone's Internet browser...log in to Amazon and purchase it there...then go to the TV's App and find it under library.

Loved the movie by the way... and it supports Dobly Vision.

Why do these services make it so hard to find UHD Content. Amazon, Netflix, Vudu....

and I hate that when you do find some of these movies, you can only buy them.. (but thats on the studios)

I've been thinking about this but didn't have a chance to look at Netflix yesterday.. can you not sort by 4K? If not that blows..

I've also heard things about Elysium.. really want to check it out in 4K w hDR

wege12

Today I reached point of no return. I'm sick of waiting for the "next year's must have feature". So I went out and bought the 55 inch B6 OLED for $1,150. Can't wait to set it up after work tonight.

Also, what are the recommended settings for best picture quality and keeping abl from kicking in as often?

If you have any questions, let me know

SourBear

Banned
The A1E seems to be in conflict with itself. It's like the designers didn't know who they were aiming this thing at.

It's as expensive as fuck. Yet doesn't have a wall mount which is going to turn off a lot of people - especially in the high end market. All because of this weird sound through the display technology that, again, high end purchasers won't give a shit about because they will be using high end audio equipment.

Lima

The A1E seems to be in conflict with itself. It's like the designers didn't know who they were aiming this thing at.

It's as expensive as fuck. Yet doesn't have a wall mount which is going to turn off a lot of people - especially in the high end market. All because of this weird sound through the display technology that, again, high end purchasers won't give a shit about because they will be using high end audio equipment.

While I'm with you on the sound(I remember when my Pioneer plasma came without any speakers at all and you had to buy them separately) but you would be surprised how many users actually use it with the inbuilt sound. That's why manufactures use the sound bar thing like on the current high end LG models. I know this from a guy from HiFi-Regler who do these expensive ass installations in designer houses who don't want visible speaker systems etc.

Theonik

While I'm with you on the sound(I remember when my Pioneer plasma came without any speakers at all and you had to buy them separately) but you would be surprised how many users actually use it with the inbuilt sound. That's why manufactures use the sound bar thing like on the current high end LG models. I know this from a guy from HiFi-Regler who do these expensive ass installations in designer houses who don't want visible speaker systems etc.
Yes, people buying this kind of expensive TV are still using inbuilt sound unless they are being put on a cinema room where a projector would usually live. Speaker systems are a no-no for many people's living rooms if only for aesthetic purposes. Also of course the A1E can be wallmounted what gave him that idea.

wege12

What is everyone's settings for the b6 OLED while in hdr mode? When my PS4 started sending an HDR signal to my b6 OLED, the picture seemed to actually get worse.

LilJoka

What is everyone's settings for the b6 OLED while in hdr mode? When my PS4 started sending an HDR signal to my b6 OLED, the picture seemed to actually get worse.

Make sure the black level on the HDR mode on the tv is set properly when the HDR mode enables.
My PC was set to full but HDR was using black level low on the tv.

wege12

Make sure the black level on the HDR mode on the tv is set properly when the HDR mode enables.
My PC was set to full but HDR was using black level low on the tv.

I tired changing the black level to high but it just seems to wash out the picture and blows out the blacks

The picture just doesn't seem to have the same "pop" as it did before hdr. Colors seem more dull and flat. Maybe I'm just not a fan of her.

Really wish LG would have included black frame insertion to eliminate motion blur. To me, they are plenty bright for this feature. Hopefully future generations include it.

I decided to stick with my XBR-65X900A for now.

The 2016 LG OLEDs just have way too much wrong with them to consider buying one. Low detail in dark areas of the screen. Garbling of the background around moving characters with MotionFlow turned on. Bad blur with MotionFlow turned off.

I honestly think the OLED has significantly more pros than cons, especially over virtually any LED on the market. Sure it may not be perfect in every area, but to me, the only major advantage LED has over the OLED is peak brightness and in all honesty, I sometimes do not even see a substantial difference in that in most cases in my side by side comparisons to the KU7000 and the KS8000.

New 4K/HDR Marantz and new cabling installed along with the new pure sine wave UPS.

Decided to go for the C7 when it's in stores. Price match BH Photo/Video in-store at Best Buy to get the lower rate, but have local receipts/returns/service if required.

Anyone had bad experience trying to get price match on a TV at a BB?

Sky Chief

It does have a wall mount, also if you have a nice sound system having a design that is just a screen with no visible speakers certainly seems preferable. The design is actually ideal for the consumer that you are describing.

Grimalkin

I am in the exact same boat. My Panny Plasma just died and I don't know what to buy. It seems like everything is reviewed for dark rooms / ideal conditions which isn't my situation at all. I am dealing with light sources in every possible use case, and my living room gets extremely bright during the day, even with my blackout curtains. I am not willing to seal my windows to get a dark room.

tokkun

What I really don't get is why the LG W7 has that enormous sound bar with fake Atmos that is required to use the TV. It is even higher end than the Sony. I understand that they include the TV's electronics in there too, but presumably if you didn't want the soundbar it could be done in a much more compact package. Plus you could conceivably make it cheaper if they wanted to do a Samsung-like program of allowing people to upgrade the electronics.

Top Bottom