• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatzCU

Can someone explain real quick how the multiplayer works? My buddy and I are interested in trying this out, but I am by no means a wiz at networking or running a server. Can we just run the multiplayer where I start a game and he connects to my game?

Dreavus

Retro said:
Pets come up a lot on their suggestion forums, here was my contribution; http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/flora-and-fauna.9503/

Most of the suggestions are terrible though, people want character classes and experience/levels and crap that would undermine the charm of the game (pun intended). As far as I'm concerned, the game needs more stuff to loot, more monsters to fight, more 'events' (summoning bosses, etc.), more biomes under the surface, and more stuff to build with.

Tacking on mechanics to turn it into some horrible 2-D World of Warcraft is a fucking awful notion... seems like the developers know better, though.

Great ideas all around in there. I really liked how you framed your post and I hope someone working on the game sees it.

It seems that that particular forum section is flooded by "You should add this! I think it'd be cool!" threads with very little elaboration and 1-3 replies each. I hope yours doesn't get lost in the shuffle. D:

vermadas

Brazil said:
WajWw.png

I put a lot of hours into Minecraft but I burnt out on it eventually. Minecraft is wonderful for what it is, but I wish it had more traditional game elements. Terraria seems to have a lot of what I missed out of Minecraft.

I'm also a sucker for retro 2D gameplay and a big fan of the GBA/DS Castlevania titles. I've owned and played through 5 out of 6 of them. I even bought the mediocre XBLA game. Part of Terraria's allure for me is its similarity to those games.

These are the reasons I'd like to own Terraria. Regardless of the outcome, thanks to Mr_Elysia for being so generous.

Neki

Anyone post the patch notes yet?

Controls

Right clicking and holding on a crafting recipe will craft multiple of the same item to a max of the stack and/or until you run out of materials.
Items

NEW ITEM : Sticky Bombs, Requires 5 Gel and a Bomb.

Sand Duping bug fixed.

Placing a bed far from the spawn no longer causes a player who has set their spawn there to crash on join.

Mining stone and other hard ores make a 'tink' noise now.

Hellstone and Obsidian now require at least a Demonite pick to gather.

Sand no longer spawns within a certain distance of the spawn location, This should remove the chance of spawning in a desert with no wood to use.

Hellstone now correctly takes as long to dig as meteor does.

The clay pot item now has the correct size.
Performance

Frame-skip is now correctly ON by default for new players.

Increased Client Side Multi-Player stability. Should resolve many crash causes.

Corrected a bug where players would intermittently not take falling damage.

The world file is now saved to a temporary file that is copied over to the actual save file. This prevents world corruption when saving is interrupted.

Fixed a bug that disabled some error handling. Overall game stability should be improved.
GUI

The version number of the game now shows on the title screen.

Typing numbers in chat no longer changes your selected item in your hotbar.
Server

Servers now listen to all IP addresses on the hosting PC, regardless of how many network connections are active.

Typing "localhost" instead of your own local IP address will connect to your own same-PC server.

The games default port is no longer ELEET (31337) it is now 7777.

Client will now resolve a hostname into its IP address, for example, if randomsite.org ran a server, you could type randomsite.org as the IP address and be able to connect.

Note : We are aware of the new bug that causes Double Jumping to not negate falling damage.

Stitch

Gold Member
mh skeletron wasn't so hard with the minishark and some meteor shots :D
the dungeon is awesome. found lot's of hearts and stuff like muramasa and blue moon.

Made some pretty good progress the last couple of nights... I now have a full set of shadow armor, a grappling hook, a cloud in a bottle, and most of my tools have been upgraded from gold. I finally found my dungeon entrance too, but I haven't ventured in yet.

My spawn area was right in between two nearby corruption areas, so things are opening up quite a bit now that I can safely traverse those.

mclaren777 said:
As someone who loves Miner Dig Deep (it's tied with FM3 as my favorite game on the 360), how does Terraria stack up?
I would almost classify them as different genres -- Terraria is a lot less "puzzle-y" in its exploration since you can freely build steps to get out of caves, and you get items (potentially pretty early on) that make getting back to the surface even easier.

If you like Miner Dig Deep's progression of "dig, get materials, upgrade tools, dig deeper, get better materials" then Terraria has plenty of that. There's just a lot of other stuff there, too.

Enco

PatzCU said:
Can someone explain real quick how the multiplayer works? My buddy and I are interested in trying this out, but I am by no means a wiz at networking or running a server. Can we just run the multiplayer where I start a game and he connects to my game?
You have to load two windows of the game.

Just click set up server on one and leave it to run in the background. Go into your ther window, click join and type in localhost or your ip. Your friend will have to type in your ip.

It's all very easy. Google 'what's my ip' and give your friend that.

Terraria has sold over 200,000 copies in little over a week: Linky

Quite an accomplishment for an indie dev team of only a few people with minimal development time. I don't think even Minecraft was this successful this fast. Terraria really is still in kind of a beta stage as well, releasing early due to popular demand.

Nekrono

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Terraria has sold over 200,000 copies in little over a week: Linky

Quite an accomplishment for an indie dev team of only a few people with minimal development time. I don't think even Minecraft was this successful this fast. Terraria really is still in kind of a beta stage as well, releasing early due to popular demand.
Great news! hopefully this will further encourage the support for more patches, content, etc.

Well deserved success for Re-Logic.

Huggy

CarbonatedFalcon said:
I don't think even Minecraft was this successful this fast.

Well I think a lot of sales are from Minecrafters, who are pretty much done with waiting for actual gameplay elements to be implemented into Minecraft.
I'm having way more fun with Terraria because of the loot and the difficult enemies (bosses (with more loot!)). Also, building stuff and decorating is functional with NPC's moving in.

Dreavus

I just want to mine some hellstone in peace! I can avoid the imps by frantically swinging my pick at their fireballs, but the bone serpents come along just wreck my shit. I managed to sneak into hell my first time for a little while with little-to-nothing bothering me, but the last 3 times I've gone down it's been a constant stream of enemies. It might not help that I'm on a multiplayer server with other people.

Also directing water on to lava pools is a lot of fun for some reason.

Dreavus said:
I just want to mine some hellstone in peace! I can avoid the imps by frantically swinging my pick at their fireballs, but the bone serpents come along just wreck my shit. I managed to sneak into hell my first time for a little while with little-to-nothing bothering me, but the last 3 times I've gone down it's been a constant stream of enemies. It might not help that I'm on a multiplayer server with other people.

Also directing water on to lava pools is a lot of fun for some reason.

Agreed on both counts.

I have found that you need to start laying down stone over the laval lake. Once you've got a long strech of flat stone imps become a cake walk, the bone serpents are more of a pain but manageable.

I think chests are broken in my world. As in, the ones you find through digging. Right clicking on them does nothing. I started a new map and dug till I found a chest and was able to open it.

:(

Enco

Huggy said:
Well I think a lot of sales are from Minecrafters, who are pretty much done with waiting for actual gameplay elements to be implemented into Minecraft.
I'm having way more fun with Terraria because of the loot and the difficult enemies (bosses (with more loot!)). Also, building stuff and decorating is functional with NPC's moving in.
This.

Hopefully the sales encourage the devs to add a loadddd of items.

Only got the game a few days ago but i have already done pretty much everything.

Absolutely fantastic game and as someone who loves games like wonderboy this has been a long time coming.

Can't wait to see what new content gets added.

Dreavus said:

I've only been to hell with 2 people and that makes it far easier.

If you really want to mine in peace this is what we did. We ran to the side of the map and jumped off. It's a few thousand feet down to the bottom. When you reach the bottom of the screen you are in hell. There is lots of hellstone to mine and there seems to be less enemies.

Edit: Plus there is just a bunch of empty space to the side (which kills enemies instantly as far as i can tell) if you need to have a quick rest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Baloonatic said:
I don't think so. I'm not really sure how you would play it with a gamepad.

I play it with a gamepad sometimes. I use an application called Total Game Control which has become so second-nature to be that I forget it's not a part of the OS... I think it's like $15.

Essentially the controls are set up just like an FPS, and it works fine for a lot of tasks, though very precision work like constructing a building really takes the finesse of a mouse.

Hawkian said:
I play it with a gamepad sometimes. I use an application called Total Game Control which has become so second-nature to be that I forget it's not a part of the OS... I think it's like $15.

Essentially the controls are set up just like an FPS, and it works fine for a lot of tasks, though very precision work like constructing a building really takes the finesse of a mouse.

Interesting. Isn't selecting specific blocks when mining really difficult? I'd rather use a gamepad for straight up adventuring in this game to be honest and then switch to mouse and keyboard when mining.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Selecting specific blocks is, absolutely- but if you don't care about selecting specific blocks for the majority of the time, and just want to mine in a general direction, it's pretty simple especially now that I have a molten pick. I just position the cursor close to me slightly away from my character, in the direction I want to mine, and moving my character left and right and jumping does the actual work. So it's different than mining methodically with a mouse but it works.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
WajWw.png

Ok, guys: the winners are:

charlemagne
Fox1304
Nekrono
trinest

Congratulations! Hope to see pictures of your adventures in Terraria soon.

Please send Mr_Elysia a message to claim your prize.

Also, thank you all for participating.

JtClS.jpg

Loam

Does anyone else feel that the dungeon is a bit redundant? Maybe I accidentally did things out of order, but by the time I got around to beating skeletron I already had most of the molten set, which aside from some interesting colored blocks and decorative objects made almost all the lootable items a downgrade. I was hoping for some incredibly awesome digging tool or perhaps some really unique items, yet all that seems to be in there is stuff a tier lower than what I already have.

Cobalt shield is pretty good though.

Baloonatic said:
Is the double jump falling damage thing intentional then? I was hoping it would be reverted to how it was before :(
Fairly certain I read somewhere that they were looking into it, probably an unintended consequence of fixing the fall damage.

Loam

The game map normally has two large bodies of water on both ends of the world that get progressively deeper the further you go into them. The world does abruptly stop however if you manage to push all the way to the edge of the screen.

sixghost

I need help with what to do next GAF. I'm somewhere around 7 hours into my first world, and I'm kind of confused as to what I should be focusing on now. I've got the nurse and merchant in my village, and I've started to venture much further into the mines now that I've got golden equipment, i think the furthest down I've gotten was 2500ft.

What's my next major goal now? I've been hoping to find a gun so the arms dealer will appear in the town, but I've got no idea where they spawn. I'm starting to assume they just don't show up in chests.

Also, am I supposed to be building houses further down in the mines? It's a god damn pain to have to spend 3 minutes retracing my steps, and most of the time I can't ever find my corpse.

InertiaXr

sixghost said:
I need help with what to do next GAF. I'm somewhere around 7 hours into my first world, and I'm kind of confused as to what I should be focusing on now. I've got the nurse and merchant in my village, and I've started to venture much further into the mines now that I've got golden equipment, i think the furthest down I've gotten was 2500ft.

What's my next major goal now? I've been hoping to find a gun so the arms dealer will appear in the town, but I've got no idea where they spawn. I'm starting to assume they just don't show up in chests.

Also, am I supposed to be building houses further down in the mines? It's a god damn pain to have to spend 3 minutes retracing my steps, and most of the time I can't ever find my corpse.

Break a shadow orb in the pits in the Corruption to get a musket to spawn the arms dealer.

When I am digging down, I just save and exit whenever I want to warp back to my house, although there is an item (Magic Mirror?) later on that will take you back to your spawn point/bed. Maybe I dig differently than most people, but I currently have a 3 wide tunnel straight down to hell and lots of branches off of that where I am mining/looking for stuff.

sixghost

InertiaXr said:
Break a shadow orb in the pits in the Corruption to get a musket to spawn the arms dealer.

When I am digging down, I just save and exit whenever I want to warp back to my house, although there is an item (Magic Mirror?) later on that will take you back to your spawn point/bed. Maybe I dig differently than most people, but I currently have a 3 wide tunnel straight down to hell and lots of branches off of that where I am mining/looking for stuff.
How far down are those usually?

sixghost said:

Have you fought the Eye of Cthulhu yet?

sixghost

CrookedRain said:
Have you fought the Eye of Cthulhu yet?
Nope, I've never even found one of the alters that I think you summon those bosses from.

SHould I be saving these gemstones that I find for anything? I want to sell them, but I don't know if I'm going to need them for crafting later on.

Bison11

I am debating if I should take the plunge. Just a quick question....how is the game in Single Player. I really enjoy Minecrafting alone and wonder how Terraria will stack up SP wise. Hopefully its good, cause the game looks really cool.

KScorp

sixghost said:
Nope, I've never even found one of the alters that I think you summon those bosses from.

SHould I be saving these gemstones that I find for anything? I want to sell them, but I don't know if I'm going to need them for crafting later on.

You need 10 of one color to make a colored phaseblade later on, but that's all I know of. Selling them is fine.

Bison11 said:
I really enjoy Minecrafting alone and wonder how Terraria will stack up SP wise. Hopefully its good, cause the game looks really cool.

Single player is plenty of fun; I haven't even touched multiplayer yet.

Bison11 said:
I am debating if I should take the plunge. Just a quick question....how is the game in Single Player. I really enjoy Minecrafting alone and wonder how Terraria will stack up SP wise. Hopefully its good, cause the game looks really cool.
I haven't even touched MP and I've already put over 20 hours into it.

InertiaXr

sixghost said:
How far down are those usually?

Shadow orbs? Not far, I have the gappling hook so I fall a ways and then put a torch on the wall, then fall until darkness again and grapple/put up another torch. I do that maybe 5-6 times and at that point you usually have found a shadow orb and can break it with a hammer. Be wary though, once you break 3 of them the Eater of Worlds will spawn, and I would recommend carrying around a full stack of vile powder with you to help kill it easy like.

Fox1304

Brazil said:
WajWw.png

Ok, guys: the winners are:

charlemagne
Fox1304
Nekrono
trinest

Congratulations! Hope to see pictures of your adventures in Terraria soon.

Please send Mr_Elysia a message to claim your prize.

Also, thank you all for participating.

JtClS.jpg
Yesssssss can't wait to dive on this new pixel world !
So .... How do I join some gaffers ? Only IP to IP right ?

Ruuppa

This game is horrible if you've got even the slightest bit of OCD. I just spent 2 hours building an underground water reservoir from bricks, with glass-enclosed torches for lighting.

Love it, but I wish there were ways of teleporting to different locations other than your spawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom