• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

El Sloth said:
Are there still a lot of Gaffers playing? I see that there aren't any GAF servers at the moment(according to the OP).

OP hasn't been updated, and you don't play it for the multiplayer, you play it for the almost-non ending single player. =P

I've had it only for a month at best and I've already invested more time into it than any other Steam game I have.

El Sloth

Banned
Marrshu said:
OP hasn't been updated, and you don't play it for the multiplayer, you play it for the almost-non ending single player. =P

I've had it only for a month at best and I've already invested more time into it than any other Steam game I have.
The multiplayer vids I've seen look pretty interesting which is why I asked. Alright I've decided why the hell not. Thanks for the responses guys!

Retro

El Sloth said:
Are there still a lot of Gaffers playing? I see that there aren't any GAF servers at the moment(according to the OP).

The OP is woefully outdated, but here's the info on the GAF server;

HaRyu said:
UberBat: The Unofficial NeoGAF Server
ip address: 173.65.165.253
port: default port (7777)
password: none

server times: 8 am (usually) -to- 3 am (usually) (all times EST)
max players: 15 (I will increase if we maintain a user base that high, but its normally 3 to 5 players most of the time)

character your server admin uses: Harlan -or- Redshirt

SERVER HOUSE RULES:
1. Do not destroy/modify other player's structures, w/o their permission.
2. Do not flood the world (water OR lava).
3. If you're building a house, avoid making rooms "NPC-compliant", unless your structure is relatively close to the main spawn point. We do not want to run all over the world trying to find the stupid merchant, then discover he's in a small house in Hell.
4. There is a HQ Storage Cellar, where there are a lot of chests w/ a lot of loot. The public is MORE THAN WELCOME to take whatever is in the chests. We only ask that as much as possible, you help replenish the stock (place items in the appropriate sections).
5. There are four "farms". Two all-purpose farms w/ nearly every plant, one forest platform, and one giant glowing mushroom farm. You are also more than welcome to take any plants that are growing there, but you MUST replant if its a plant that doesn't regrow in abundance automatically (w/c means, every plant except the different types of mushrooms), and you must replant in the appropriate section.
6. The server is not a PvP server, but PvP is allowed, work it out among yourselves how you want to do that. There's a nice haunted house PvP arena you can mess around in on the server.
7. You are allowed to tell non-NeoGAF people about the server, and they are allowed on the server, but they are subject to all the above rules.

Bear in mind that we may start the GAF server fresh for the next major content patch. Each new patch adds stuff to the world, but not retroactively, so a new world is needed to add some of the bigger terrain features. On top of that, the GAF server has a lot of the content completed already (Dungeon has been ransacked, most bosses defeated, all of the Shadow Orbs smashed, etc.) so a reboot would be nice for most new players.

And as others have said, the multiplayer right now is a little bonus, the real meat of the game for most of us has been the single player game.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
El Sloth said:

We have one server running (as far as I know).

However, since the world was pretty much cleared in 3 days, there's not much one can do other than build, or gather resources. You can stop by if you want, but you should stop by when the update hits (I'll be making a new world for it).

Retro said:
Bear in mind that we may start the GAF server fresh for the next major content patch. Each new patch adds stuff to the world, but not retroactively, so a new world is needed to add some of the bigger terrain features. On top of that, the GAF server has a lot of the content completed already (Dungeon has been ransacked, most bosses defeated, all of the Shadow Orbs smashed, etc.) so a reboot would be nice for most new players.

Actually, as far as I know, the King Slime hasnt been fought yet on the server (its a mini boss, but its still a boss). But yeah, we already did everything. :p

Retro

HaRyu said:
However, since the world was pretty much cleared in 3 days, there's not much one can do other than build, or gather resources. You can stop by if you want, but you should stop by when the update hits (I'll be making a new world for it).

Did we ever decide how we were going to stagger the free loot on GAFServer2? I had mentioned building the HQ in such a way that the more powerful stuff was kept behind the natural Terraria barriers like height, different brick types, etc.?

It seems it would be easier to just not put a lot of loot except for the most basic, quality of life stuff on there (Magic mirrors, etc.) and building supplies. Half the fun in this game is starting out with nothing and finding everything.

Hernando

Banned
Terraira is not the same as Minecraft, for people saying it is. It evolves on the adventure aspect that Minecraft never really had without mods. But minecraft holds the building aspect. So in all, we all get 2 great games for cheap!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
Did we ever decide how we were going to stagger the free loot on GAFServer2? I had mentioned building the HQ in such a way that the more powerful stuff was kept behind the natural Terraria barriers like height, different brick types, etc.?

It seems it would be easier to just not put a lot of loot except for the most basic, quality of life stuff on there (Magic mirrors, etc.) and building supplies. Half the fun in this game is starting out with nothing and finding everything.

*evil grin*

Oh, I actually have a plan for the advanced storage facility. Its going to take a bit of time to build, so to the regular GAF builders (you know who you are), I'm going to need some help making it. Lets just say that there's no way in hell a fresh character can even get through the advanced storage facility w/o the bare minimum equipment, plus some actual game skill. Those w/ the high end equipment won't have any problems... unless of course you have no skill either. For the builders that want to help make it, PM me for the details. *CACKLE*

I'm working out some other details too on how we conduct activities on the server (house rules and such), but all the info will go up when the new update hits.

Retro

HaRyu said:
*evil grin*

Oh, I actually have a plan for the advanced storage facility. Its going to take a bit of time to build, so to the regular GAF builders (you know who you are), I'm going to need some help making it. Lets just say that there's no way in hell a fresh character can even get through the advanced storage facility w/o the bare minimum equipment, plus some actual game skill. Those w/ the high end equipment won't have any problems... unless of course you have no skill either. For the builders that want to help make it, PM me for the details. *CACKLE*

I want in... You had me at Evil Grin. You know with some map editors, you can copy and paste entire chunks of terrain, right? So we could start building it now and then paste it in later...

You on the GAF server now to talk about it?

atre324

So I finally finished my big herb garden, god that needed a lot of clay. Currently I have 80 each of Waterleaf and Fireblossom, 120 pots each of Moonglow/Daybloom/Blinkroot, and 160 pots of Deathweed (since you can only harvest that on blood moons, although you tend to get more seeds).

I will say that for anyone trying to figure out how to set up their pots so they get roughly equal amounts of everything, Blinkroot needs by far the least amount of pots since it grows so quickly, followed by Daybloom. Waterleaf grows pretty fast as well, a lot faster than Fireblossom. Moonglow seems to be just as slow as Fireblossom. Deathweed is obviously a special case, but I'd guess that anywhere between 50-75% of my pots are ready to bloom by the time blood moon rolls around and they almost always yield 2-3 seeds per harvest so I don't think you really need that many unless you want to stockpile seeds so you can just harvest the plants whenever you need them regardless of blood moon.

I have held off on putting my big alchemy lab atop the tower in case they add anything to gardening in 1.06, but I kinda doubt they will. Actually, has anyone built a Coral farm yet? I was thinking a layer of sand covered with 2 spaces of water, with wooden platforms on top. Not that coral is that hard to get but it would make it a lot easier than running all the way to the ocean.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Marrshu said:

Yes, it has.

If you people want something there, you gotta ask.

Retro said:
The OP is woefully outdated, but here's the info on the GAF server;
It's up to date with the latest patch, buddy.

Retro

atre324 said:
I have held off on putting my big alchemy lab atop the tower in case they add anything to gardening in 1.06, but I kinda doubt they will. Actually, has anyone built a Coral farm yet? I was thinking a layer of sand covered with 2 spaces of water, with wooden platforms on top. Not that coral is that hard to get but it would make it a lot easier than running all the way to the ocean.

They are adding Cursed, Poisoned and Darkness status effects in the next patch, so some type of curative potion is probably in the works. However, they have plenty of material combinations so I don't think we'll see any new herbs. I think we'll probably see those status cures use a more common herb like Blinkroot or Dayglow. They MIGHT add a new mushroom type, but that's just my personal thought.

As for Coral, we have an aquarium set up on the GAF server if you want to take a look at it. It's a big glass rectangle with 1 row of sand (I think it's 1) and lots of water above it. I think your planned farm might be too shallow.

Brazil said:
It's up to date with the latest patch, buddy.

It is now. Haven't seen you posting in this thread so it's hard to know if you've abandoned it or not. Thanks for updating it.

Enco

Multiplayer > singleplayer

That being said, the SP is brilliant. I've put in over 50 hours. This is the first game that I have played that much since Oblivion. At the current price it's a steal. Well worth more than full retail price.

atre324

Well I haven't seen coral grow above 2 spaces but do you think 3 would work? I am gonna build a few test tanks later today but I'm still not sure if I want to make the farm it's own building or add it to the top of the herb garden (since coral is an alchemy ingredient)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Retro said:
It is now. Haven't seen you posting in this thread so it's hard to know if you've abandoned it or not. Thanks for updating it.
No. It was updated on the 27th. I'm not actively searching for your posts to update the OP, but I don't abandon threads. If you guys want your servers there, all you have to do is send me a message. And no one ever did.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
All right you cheap bastards, for those who haven't bought the game yet...

One of today's sales on Steam is Terraria... $2.49

I repeat:

TWO DOLLARS AND FORTY-NINE CENTS

HaRyu said:
All right you cheap bastards, for those who haven't bought the game yet...

One of today's sales on Steam is Terraria... $2.49

I repeat:

TWO DOLLARS AND FORTY-NINE CENTS
1.88 per copy if you get the four pack. How low can you goooooh?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
kamspy said:
How do I start crafting?

Assuming you havent done anything else, you need a workbench... which you have to craft anyway (its one of the few things you can craft w/o being near a workspace of some sort). Go chop down some wood, then you should be able to make one.

Make sure you talk to the guide. If you're new to the game, the Guide is pretty much the instruction manual for the game.

BTW, to all the new players picking it up and dropping by the server, please remember that the server is pretty much cleared. WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A NEW WORLD. But this world won't be made until the next update hits (next few days, probably). If you're new to the game, learn the ropes through single player, and then go to the server after the update hits. You're more than welcome to look around the current server, but really, it might be boring for you to stop by.

Retro

kamspy said:
How do I start crafting?

Hit escape to open up your inventory, crafting is on the lower left. Once you have enough wood (one good tree should do it) you can build a workbench. Drag that to your hotbar and click to place it. Stand near the workbench and your crafting menu will grow significantly larger.

Gather Stone and Torches and Iron Ore to build additional crafting furniture.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey neat, new thread.

The sale for the summer deal today is ludicrous, if you have even 10% interest in this you need to buy it right now.

anddo0

Okay, I'm 22 hours in and haven't done a single dungeon. I have 4 npcs living in my house (started construction on another). I've stocked up on hearts (12 or so). I have decent armor (silver), got the boomerang, double jump, some regenerating health accessories, 12 lens from those eye things etc...

I think I'm more than ready to progress. Where do I go from here/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
God, if you get in on a 4-pack the price of this game is about $1.87.

If I had purchased the game at that price, I would have at this point paid less than 2 cents per hour of gameplay.

Buy.

Retro

anddo0 said:
Okay, I'm 22 hours in and haven't done a single dungeon. I have 4 npcs living in my house (started construction on another). I've stocked up on hearts (12 or so). I have decent armor (silver), got the boomerang, double jump, some regenerating health accessories, 12 lens from those eye things etc...

I think I'm more than ready to progress. Where do I go from here/

Well, there's only one dungeon anyways. It sounds to me like you might want to go smash a few shadow orbs in the corruption. Have you fought the Eye of Cthulu yet?

anddo0

Retro said:
Well, there's only one dungeon anyways. It sounds to me like you might want to go smash a few shadow orbs in the corruption. Have you fought the Eye of Cthulu yet?

Nope. It's tied into the lens right? Something about a demon altars?

I have no idea what those look like though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
anddo0 said:

You can summon them at will with lenses, but one will show up whether you want it to or not if you smash a few (3?) shadow orbs.

Retro

anddo0 said:

http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Demon_Altar

The eye will show up on his own after your health is over 10 hearts, you have 4 NPCs and at least 10 defense. If you want to summon him, then yes, you'll need to find a Demon Altar. Usually they're around corruption. It'll have to be night also when you use the eye.

Derrick01

Banned
So that's what demon altars look like? I feel like such an idiot now, I've passed by dozens of those wondering where the hell I could find one. I guess I was picturing it would look like some kind of dark purple anvil found only in corruption.

This makes things sooo much easier now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Picked this up because of the GAF hype and price.

It better be good!

It is good, but whether or not you will like it depends entirely on the kind of game you enjoy.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Derrick01 said:
So that's what demon altars look like? I feel like such an idiot now, I've passed by dozens of those wondering where the hell I could find one. I guess I was picturing it would look like some kind of dark purple anvil found only in corruption.

The demon altar looks like an ominous, spiky, black glowing thingy, like a Forgotten Elder God's hand reaching out of the ground, awaiting for some poor schmuck to pass by so it can drag him into eternal damnation.

They aren't neccessarily IN the corruption, but its guaranteed you'll find one in the corruption. They are definitely underground though.

Retro

Derrick01 said:

I'm hoping Demon Altars serve some purpose in the future, I usually go to great lengths to build a crafting hall above one 'just in case'.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Picked this up because of the GAF hype and price.

It better be good!

It starts off slow because you're just trying to survive (though no where near as evil as Minecraft's first night), but it picks up once you establish a base and get a feel for things. For less than three bucks though, even if you play it for 2 or 3 hours, that's less than half a movie ticket... and that's assuming you don't get hooked like just about everyone who's tried it so far.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If you don't know what to do, just start digging. Not much compares to digging your first hole in Terraria.

Anyways, considering the price, everyone should have this game in their Steam library. So good.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Hawkian said:
God, if you get in on a 4-pack the price of this game is about $1.87.

If I had purchased the game at that price, I would have at this point paid less than 2 cents per hour of gameplay.

Buy.
4 Pack :O
Looking for 3 others, i guess?

anddo0

Retro said:
http://wiki.terrariaonline.com/Demon_Altar

The eye will show up on his own after your health is over 10 hearts, you have 4 NPCs and at least 10 defense. If you want to summon him, then yes, you'll need to find a Demon Altar. Usually they're around corruption. It'll have to be night also when you use the eye.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

I've tried to play blind up until this point (outside of some youtube videos that sold me on the game). But, now it's time to make some real progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom