• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acerac

Banned
Ooh, sticky bombs! Good idea!

No more zerging hell early on. I'm glad I got my collection of obsidian skulls before this change.

I believe you need to kill bosses for demonite.

Mr_Elysia

The hellstone ore requirement was definitely needed. Obsidian was not. It can be made and collected before the hell layer and is of use to those presently in the corruption stages when meteors drop. You can't make anything else from it presently without hellstone metal anyways.

New item is cool and useful but...just the one?

DarkKyo

Mr_Elysia said:
The hellstone ore requirement was definitely needed. Obsidian was not. It can be made and collected before the hell layer and is of use to those presently in the corruption stages when meteors drop. You can't make anything else from it presently without hellstone metal anyways.

New item is cool and useful but...just the one?
One new item added a week after release is good news! The content updating has already begun.

Good changes. The biggest exploit (that i used) was going to hell using a tunnel, even with low armour and a gold pickaxe, and get hellstone, even if you had to die a lot of times to get a significative amount. Then, with a little time, you get the best equipment, without killing any boss or going to the corruption.

Now this require at least a boss (for the demonite pickaxe), and better armour (probably killing more bosses or getting meteorite), because the extra time to mine hellstone will make the "mine as much as you can before dying" less useful.

Lanbeast

Enco said:
Awesome. Especially with a friend.

Loving these regular updates. Definite GOTY so far for me.

Mine too. I've been running a server with two friends and at times a third. I can't remember the last game that was this much of a fun time waster.

RyanDG

The only real complaint i have about the game is that I wish death was a bit more painful for you. Suicide runs for ore shouldn't be as beneficial as they are in games like this. With that said, I've been enjoying it so far. I've only got the merchant, but stumbled across a random chest with an enchanted boomerang which is by far my favorite weapon and light source. I am also decked out with gold equipment which is nice... I need to make some serious progress on my house though... I'm thinking of a dwarven village under a mountain...

weird problem last night on my MP server and curious if anyone else had this problem.

time went into super fast motion and hours in game passed every second. so enemies moved at super light speed. one other guy was connected locally through a LAN and experienced it too. disconnecting the server and restarting fixed it.

Enco

Lanbeast said:
Mine too. I've been running a server with two friends and at times a third. I can't remember the last game that was this much of a fun time waster.
Yup.

I'm surprised how people already have every item in the game...

MP servers work properly now. Don't need hamachi.

edit: A distraction for enemies would be nice (e.g. a flair).

I'm such a hoarder/thief. I just came across a floating island. Not only did I empty the chest but I stole the silver walls and the chest itself :lol

Oh and I love it when you're in a pitch black cave and you have to quickly swap to another item only to be left in the dark. Pretty intense when monsters are near by. Especially if you're under water!

Sanic

What's up with the guide continually walking into and out of my home, and in the process letting in all kinds of unsightly creatures?

Kalnos

Banned
Pandoracell said:
What's up with the guide continually walking into and out of my home, and in the process letting in all kinds of unsightly creatures?

If you put a candle on a table they will sit by it at night in my experience. Also, it's fairly easy to build a table on the second floor or higher so that they don't open doors during the day. If they're already on the first floor you can just use dirt to build some stairs and they will wander up.

DarkKyo

Pandoracell said:
My nurse did that for awhile... :/ stupid bitch

Pandoracell said:

I have my room in the lower floor, but all the other rooms are in upper floors, so I never had that problem).

Sanic

Independent of whatever gameplay features I can take advantage of to eliminate the problem, the point is that the guide shouldn't be entering and leaving my house every 4 seconds ;P

Time to lay down a table, as well as build up. Thanks for the tips.

RyanDG

Couple of random images...

Vtfn7.jpg

This is my bridge/moat. On the left hand side is my temporary crafting area that is going to be rebuilt into an entrance tower. On the right hand side is the start of the keep (which is going to be entirely contained within the mountain). The middle room with the candle you see is the Merchants. The Nurse has taken the room above.

aX83Z.jpg

The foundation of the bridge/moat. Getting the water here was a pain in the rear end... Once I can come up with a decent way of transporting a large amount of Lava, it will probably make the change to a Lava pit. The hook thing on the right hand side was a last minute addition after I got stuck in my own moat and died.

ndfHV.jpg

Temporary crafting area... I'm envisioning this as a large tower with an observatory on top... Still have a ways to go before I demolish the current crafting area and rebuild it though...

Vmjh1.jpg

Here's the interior of my mountain... I'm planning on clearing out nearly all of this area for additional living quarters and the like. Its taking some time though...

^^^^

You're quite industrious for having lower tier items.

The hellstone change is good, but the obsidian one I don't think was a great idea as others have mentioned. You can't make anything out of just obsidian (without hellstone) besides the obsidian skull, which is useful for harvesting meteors which should be the tier of materials you're going after at that point. Now players will have to kill the Eater of Worlds, a tier higher than meteor, to get materials to make the pickaxe to harvest obsidian which is useful for harvesting meteor.

If you didn't follow that - basically the obsidian change is a bit backwards and should be reversed in a future patch.

And thank god for being able to craft stacks of items with right click now.

Mairu

CarbonatedFalcon said:
And thank god for being able to craft stacks of items with right click now.
Farmed some sand yesterday to stock up on glass so I could make a sky walkway... Turned 5500 of it into glass last night, wish I waited until today :p

parasight

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Now players will have to kill the Eater of Worlds, a tier higher than meteor, to get materials to make the pickaxe to harvest obsidian which is useful for harvesting meteor..

I always thought Demonite was a tier under Meteor. Or at least in the same tier.

parasight said:
I always thought Demonite was a tier under Meteor. Or at least in the same tier.

They're actually sort of the same tier, but I'd still put meteorite lower since the meteor armor set has less defense than the demonite set. The tools/weapons are more of a tossup, but I'd still put demonite higher since you can craft a more powerful pickaxe with it and there is no meteor pickaxe. You have to jump from gold to the demonite pick.

Lanbeast

Don't know if anyone knew this, since I hadn't read it. But my brother and I discovered that if you join a party on the inventory screen, you will be able to see each other. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to find each other as you're digging.

6pYSe.png

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Now players will have to kill the Eater of Worlds, a tier higher than meteor, to get materials to make the pickaxe to harvest obsidian which is useful for harvesting meteor.

Kind of. But you need to kill a lot of Eater of Worlds to get a full shadow armor. And you can kill a Eater of the World in Gold, without too many problems (in a controlled scenario and demonite weapons).

Also, Shadow is a bigger tier than meteor in armour, but worse in weapons. So..

Kill Eye of Cthulhu -> Get shadow weapons (don't need scales) -> Kill a single Eater of Worlds -> Get shadow pickaxe -> Mine obsidian and meteor -> Get meteor armour and meteor weapons -> Kill more Eaters of Worlds, now easier -> Get shadow armours.

It has sense. It worries me more the fact that you need objects of the dungeon, that you enter after you defeat the most difficult boss of the game, to get an armour that is equal than shadow one and worse than molten one.

To fullfill the progression, there should be something necessary in the dungeon to make the molten armour, and in the end of the dungeon there should be the final final boss. So Skeletron -> Make part of the dungeon -> Get Necro Armor (that should be better than shadow one) -> Go to Hell and get Molten armour -> Fight final boss with best equipment.

Ferrio

Banned
So are there any multiplayer servers for gaf up? I bought the game haven't started playing, kinda wanna pop in a game with other people so I don't have to pain through it myself.

BooJoh

DangerousDave said:
Kind of. But you need to kill a lot of Eater of Worlds to get a full shadow armor.
I dunno about that. Since the Eater of Worlds seems ot have a tendency to drop a piece of shadow armor that you don't already have, plus mats, I only had to kill one Eye of Cthulu and two Eater of Worlds to get full Shadow armor and Sword/Pickaxe.

I'm more concerned with the fact that you need a demonic altar/shadow orbs to fight those bosses, which is almost always behind a wall of ebonstone, which means you're pretty much forced to use dynamite to get to them the first time.

The progression at that point feels a bit fractured, because you're moving from deep underground, back to the surface because Hell is way too hard, but then you don't have appropriate tools for the ebonstone. At the same time I found that the only reliable place to get gold is the jungle or floating islands, which meant I completely skipped over gold except for the pickaxe since getting the Shadow items is easier than finding enough gold to make a set of that.

And then again, in order to enter the dungeon, you pretty much have to beat a boss who you can most likely only beat if you're overgeared for the dungeon.

InertiaXr

I killed 2 Eyes and 1 Eater of Worlds and have a full set of shadow armor now. EoW dropped the hat, and I had more than enough to make the boots and chestpiece from the scales/ores I got, I also have the nightmare pickaxe now.

Sarcasm

Was playing on multi, have not done SP.

Do mobs really spawn to hell? I had a mine shaft with a demon table that I blocked the entrance.

Got shit ton of eyes, zombies, worms, and slimes....

Man lol

For the evonstone you can use the powder of the druid. Also, there is the possibility of going to the jungle for better weapons or even cobalt. Eye of Cthulhu never spawned me any shadow armour piece.

But, yes, the main problem is the full dungeon area, that requires to beat the most difficult enemy of the game.

I got a lot of gold, easily, in the lower part of the stone. You have to dig in horizontal in the depth where lava pools spawn, but not too much deep, or you'll get imps. If you have a magical boomerang or any way to make light, is easy to find.

Sanic

What can I build to allow myself to get out of the mines I dig? I don't really want to go spoil myself by looking at a site with crafting recipes or something but the workbench doesn't bring up anything, at least with the 'starter' items I have.

senahorse

Pandoracell said:
What can I build to allow myself to get out of the mines I dig? I don't really want to go spoil myself by looking at a site with crafting recipes or something but the workbench doesn't bring up anything, at least with the 'starter' items I have.

A grapple hook. It requires a hook (drop from skeletons) and 3 chains (made from iron). Also a magic mirror (think that's the name), found in chests, will allow you to teleport to your spawn point. Failing that you can build some stairs back up :)

senahorse

Yep, skeletons are below the surface, and iron ore as well (though I have found iron ore close to the surface). Dig down far enough and skeletons will appear.

edit: sorry you said chests, they are usually below the surface, dig into established cave networks and you will come across them.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just got down to where the fire imps start attacking you, and I guess going that low awoke the Eye of Cthulhu. Two pretty quick deaths there. :)

Any tips on equipment to have at that point? I have a gold sword and helmet, I think, and iron armor everywhere else.

InertiaXr said:
This game is still rolling along on Steam. Over double the currently in-game number of any other game.
It's funny how Counter-Strike beats it out in the peak player stats, but once it gets later and the Steam population starts dwindling, Terraria still holds strong.

Brazil said:

So yeah, I really really want this game. I probably would've gotten this by now, but I don't have a credit card and I'm waiting till the summer sale to get a prepaid visa to buy the games that I've wanted. Enough about that, onto the reasons I want the game. I really like Minecraft, but unlike most people it's not that addictive to me. I'll end up playing it for a few days to build something and then forget about it for a month when I want to build something else. I think Minecraft is too much of a sandbox game and I can't play a game where there isn't even a bit of a goal.

So I first heard about Terraria from a friend who told me it was a carbon copy of Minecraft, but in 2D, so I ignored it till a week ago. I peeked into the official thread and saw that it was everything I wanted out of Minecraft and more. I read through the wiki and others people's experiences and it just wanted it now. I love Castlevania games and I've read tons of posts comparing it to that which just makes me want it more. I like the art style and some of the items you can make sound awesome.

Basically this game sounds like an infinitly endlessly Castlevania mixed in with the destroy and build parts of Minecraft, which is awesome!!!

saunderez

QuantumBro said:
Basically this game sounds like an infinitly endlessly Castlevania mixed in with the destroy and build parts of Minecraft, which is awesome!!!
You know what game it reminds me of.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land. The Arcade version.

YkEwo.gif

To me it's essentially a higher res version of that crossed with the building mechanics of MineCraft. And it's awesome.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
About to splurge some money for this. Might try to convince the dragon to grab it with me but she's busy with The Witcher 2 at the moment. Figured I'd test the waters and then try and do something proper with her later.

TheExodu5

Banned
It's crazy how well this is doing on Steam. It really goes to show just how powerful word of mouth is when it comes to PC game sales.

I hope cloud saves (or Steamworks in general) is a possibility. Because it's so light it'd be nice to play on my laptop as well as my PC.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
:O Can't believe how much tougher it is to get Hellstone now. I feel like I cheated by slipping into hell with a gold pickaxe 80 times before this tweak. Guess I lucked out...

Pity, I really enjoyed that you could Rambo through and get a really satisfying reward from the time investment.

butter_stick said:
I hope cloud saves (or Steamworks in general) is a possibility. Because it's so light it'd be nice to play on my laptop as well as my PC.
Cloud saving is a reality now, there is a guide in the OT.

Loam

Terraria is easily the most engrossing game I've ever played in my life. I'll boot it up with the intention of mining some ore for a few minutes and before I know it I've put an hour into the thing. Fantastic game.

Is there a trick to locating floating islands? The new patch seems to have removed to ability to negate fall damage with "Cloud in a Bottle" so it looks like I'm going to have to invest some time in finding a lucky horseshoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom