• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colkate said:
I was just thinking that, when I'm using Hamachi, multiple people will always be able to connect, but if one person has their network set to Public, instead of Home, then whilst they are able to Ping other people, nobody can connect to that person.

I dont' even see where the option is of setting public vs home. And I can connect to her so I don't think her computer is wrong.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
demosthenes said:
Ok when it asks for server IP address in the port forwarding menu on the router, what is it asking for exactly?

That would be the IP address of your computer. Not to be confused w/ the IP address of the modem itself.

Finally started hardcore playing this a few days ago. Encountered my first goblin invasion, got fucking ROCKET BOOTS. Awesome, especially when coupled with hermes boots. Now if only I could find a damn hook I'd be set.

ASilva

Neo Member
CrunchyFrog said:
Finally started hardcore playing this a few days ago. Encountered my first goblin invasion, got fucking ROCKET BOOTS. Awesome, especially when coupled with hermes boots. Now if only I could find a damn hook I'd be set.

There's a grapling hook and mats to make a second one in my house in the gaf server, take it if it's still there. It's in the main apartment complex thingy with 2 golden chests on the left on a wooden platform (and a bed on the right). It has my name in the sign

Vlad

So, quick question regarding the planting of stuff.

According to the wiki, both the fireblossom and the waterleaf will only bloom and produce seeds when submersed in lava and water, respectively. Well, I managed to get seeds from wild waterleaf by submerging it in water just fine, but I was just wondering how they worked when planted in the clay pots. Can I leave the pots entirely submerged in two blocks' worth of water and have the waterleaf eventually bloom, or do I need to leave the waterleaf sprout exposed to air until it reaches that stage I keep seeing it in the wild, and THEN submerge it?

I initially tried to just submerge a row of clay pots in two blocks of water, and was hoping that my planted waterleaf would eventually bloom, but it never did. Now, the wiki does state that they do take a while to bloom, and I did leave them there for a bit, but I don't know how long "a while" actually is in this case.

ShinAmano

So I have logged into the GAF world a couple of times and have to say...WOW. You guys went crazy in there.

Anyhow...I have no clue how to type messages once inside so if you said 'Hi' and did not get a response I was not being a dick on purpose.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
ShinAmano said:
So I have logged into the GAF world a couple of times and have to say...WOW. You guys went crazy in there.

Anyhow...I have no clue how to type messages once inside so if you said 'Hi' and did not get a response I was not being a dick on purpose.

To chat just hit Enter then type your message.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Vlad said:

According to the wiki, both the fireblossom and the waterleaf will only bloom and produce seeds when submersed in lava and water, respectively. Well, I managed to get seeds from wild waterleaf by submerging it in water just fine, but I was just wondering how they worked when planted in the clay pots. Can I leave the pots entirely submerged in two blocks' worth of water and have the waterleaf eventually bloom, or do I need to leave the waterleaf sprout exposed to air until it reaches that stage I keep seeing it in the wild, and THEN submerge it?

I initially tried to just submerge a row of clay pots in two blocks of water, and was hoping that my planted waterleaf would eventually bloom, but it never did. Now, the wiki does state that they do take a while to bloom, and I did leave them there for a bit, but I don't know how long "a while" actually is in this case.

I'm not that big an expert w/ the clay pot farming thing (on the server, that was pretty much left to the others), but when I've tried it on my own personal world, I had to get the water/lava level "just" right.

Retro just built a alchemy lab on the server, and he's got a claypot farm going, so he should have advice on the matter.

Also... its next month already, UUUUUUUUPDAAAAAAAAATE WHEEEEEERE?

Vlad said:
You have to submerge the base of the plant in water/lava, not just the pot. Just keep pouring until the water/lava's about a half-a-block or a block higher than the pot, if you pour too much it's hard to see when they're sprouting (they will sprout even if they're completely submerged though, just harder to harvest... especially fireblossom).

Retro

Just an FYI, I'm taking a week or two away from Terraria to prevent burnout when 1.0.6 does eventually arrive. I've also been in the habit of playing a lot more than I probably should.

HaRyu said:
Retro just built a alchemy lab on the server, and he's got a claypot farm going, so he should have advice on the matter.

Yep. Head right from the HQ/spawn to find the Alchemy tower, where you can see both Fireblossom and Waterleaf growing in pots. I don't have an exact height to give, but in general you want the water/lava to be about a tile higher than the top of the pot (so, two tiles deep). That height also works well because blossoming Fireblossom actually pokes up above the lava whereas the immature doesn't. Since the plant and lava are similar colors, that's a nice way to know when they're ready.

I would like to point out that my farm isn't super-efficient or anything; I dropped pots in groups of 3 for a total of 12 per section (24 per floor). In theory you could have giant multi-screen length farms underground. I just wanted a basic tower.

Vlad

Hmph, so it sounds like I did have it right after all. I guess I'll just let them sit for a while and see if they eventually sprout.

Oh, what about lighting and room conditions? Does there need to be a back wall for them to bloom in clay pots?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
Just an FYI, I'm taking a week or two away from Terraria to prevent burnout when 1.0.6 does eventually arrive. I've also been in the habit of playing a lot more than I probably should.

And then, as his bad luck would have it, the update hits later tonight.

Oh, I hope your luck sucks. Please let your luck suck REAAAAALLLY BADLY.

Vlad said:
Hmph, so it sounds like I did have it right after all. I guess I'll just let them sit for a while and see if they eventually sprout.

Oh, what about lighting and room conditions? Does there need to be a back wall for them to bloom in clay pots?

All of the plants that can be potted have no lighting/room conditions. Trees, regular mushrooms, and I think vile mushrooms are required to be above 0 elevation, and there has to be no wall. Glowing mushrooms have to be below 0 elevation and need mud to grow.

Retro

HaRyu said:
And then, as his bad luck would have it, the update hits later tonight.

Oh, I hope your luck sucks. Please let your luck suck REAAAAALLLY BADLY.

Me too. I created a twitter account just to follow the developers today. I think any longer and I'll start getting the DTs.

Is it ok to advertise my server here?

I'm almost finished with the configurations and starter area for it and it has some cool stuff.

- You cannot edit your inventory outside of this server. New character, used exclusively on this server.
- You can buy protected areas from a GM that only you (or whoever you want to) can edit.
- You can lock chests.
- I'll be cleaning up found islands and adding new ones regularly as well as orbs and other limited stuff.

I'm not sure how well this is gonna work so I'm gonna make it GAF only first, but my plans are to make it fully public.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Metalmurphy said:
Is it ok to advertise my server here?

I'm almost finished with the configurations and starter area for it and it has some cool stuff.

- You cannot edit your inventory outside of this server. New character, used exclusively on this server.
- You can buy protected areas from a GM that only you (or whoever you want to) can edit.
- You can lock chests.
- I'll be cleaning up found islands and adding new ones regularly as well as orbs and other limited stuff.

I'm not sure how well this is gonna work so I'm gonna make it GAF only first, but my plans are to make it fully pubic.

I think the only reason why my server has claimed the "NeoGAF server" title is because I'm the only one advertising it? I'm not the one who created the thread, but I assume we'd be allowed to advertise our servers.

BTW, grammatical error in your last sentence... its taking a LOT of willpower for me to stop cracking several, possibly offensive, jokes. :p

HaRyu said:
I think the only reason why my server has claimed the "NeoGAF server" title is because I'm the only one advertising it? I'm not the one who created the thread, but I assume we'd be allowed to advertise our servers.

BTW, grammatical error in your last sentence... its taking a LOT of willpower for me to stop cracking several, possibly offensive, jokes. :p

Missed keystroke -.-

demosthenes said:
Yea, got mine from ipconfig in the command prompt. Followed this:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WNDR3400/Terraria.htm

Still doesn't work, I really don't think this should be this freaking difficult.
You'll have your modem's ip (which you can see on whatismyip.com) and your computer's ip which will be 192.xxx.x.xxx
The first 7 digits are normally the same for all your devices in a network (networked printers, pcs , consoles) and the last 3 are used to differentiate each one.

So in your port forwarding thingy for your router, you need to enter your computer's ip (you should be able to see what it is in your router's config menu, remember , it should start with 192.

So if your comp has ip 192.168.0.215 , then that is the ip you enter (normally you only have to fill in the last 3 digits anyhow and the rest is already shown).

Then for the port range just set 7777 - 7777 , TCP , make sure it's enabled if your router has a toggle to enable/disable them (nvm this last detail if you don't see it) .

Then just have someone try to connect to your modem's ip and port 7777 (not your 192 ip, confusing, I know) in terraria and it will work.
Those stupid port testing sites never work anyhow, just try it with the game.

Harpuia

I just got Terarria today! Everything is going ok..I found an enchanted boomerang, which is pretty much my favorite weapon now. Oh, and there's two corrupted zones to the left and right of me..and I just can't get past them without dying. :(

Harpuia said:
I just got Terarria today! Everything is going ok..I found an enchanted boomerang, which is pretty much my favorite weapon now. Oh, and there's two corrupted zones to the left and right of me..and I just can't get past them without dying. :(

Happened to me when I first started playing. Only advice is start digging till you get stronger equipment. Or build a really high sky bridge... with a roof to protect you from the harpies too.

Atomski

Yeah you really want to start digging down, find some ore for better armor and weapons. Go down till you find skeletons. Farm them till you get a hook and make a grapple hook (this may take a while its a random drop). Makes it a ton easier getting around.

balddemon

Banned
I wanted to make a Pokeball next to the yin-yang ball, but I can't :( "region protected from changes" that's sad. Oh well, I think my joy for this game as been reignited, just from hopping on the server and checking shiz out....that Colosseum is pretty nifty, is there anything to the left of it? I would've checked but I got tired of walking so slowly and just went underground lol.

Retro

Damnit, I need 1.0.6 this week. =\

balddemon said:
I wanted to make a Pokeball next to the yin-yang ball, but I can't :( "region protected from changes" that's sad. Oh well, I think my joy for this game as been reignited, just from hopping on the server and checking shiz out....that Colosseum is pretty nifty, is there anything to the left of it? I would've checked but I got tired of walking so slowly and just went underground lol.

That area is edit-protected because it will be a tutorial after the next patch and we didn't want players destroying it (as they have in the current version). It's there to teach people the basics about interacting with doors, what ore looks like, using chests and torches, and interacting with NPCs along with some useful advice about the world mechanics.

Other than that specific area, I don't think anything else is protected, so go ahead and make a pokeball anywhere in the world. In the last GAF server, people just built wherever there was space;

To the left of the Colosseum is corruption, a small house, and then my lava-desert fortress. There's a couple odds and ends (a King Slime farm, a small tower, if memory serves) before the left shore, which has a really impressive undersea base and lighthouse going on.

The easiest way to get to all that is to take the underground highway.

Retro

HaRyu said:
Waaaaaaait a minute.

Is that the map I uploaded?

I just noticed the guitar and Bionic Commando are missing.

No, it's just a screenshot from a few pages ago. I C&P'd the picture just as an example, that's all. It is missing a few things.

LM4sure

Banned
Is there a way to teleport? I hate it when I die far from my home and I have to make the long trek back to wherever I was exploring,

Vlad

LM4sure said:
Is there a way to teleport? I hate it when I die far from my home and I have to make the long trek back to wherever I was exploring,

There is an item you can get that will allow you to teleport back to your spawn point (which seems kind of silly, seeing as you can just quit and reload and be back there anyway), but as far as I know, there's no way to teleport/fast travel to different points on the map.

What I ended up doing in my SP world was make a tunnel from under my base to the sides of the map. Took a while, but now I can get around easier without having to worry about all the @#*$ing cacti.

LM4sure said:

Not yet. I don't know if they're adding one latter, but what you could do is create a small shelter with a bed in it somewhere in your cave and set it as a spawn point (can't remember if you can do this inside a cave or not).

I actually dug a huge pit that goes straight to Hell. There's wood platforms at places I want to stop, but as long as you're holding "s" you'll keep falling all the way down.

Retro

Vlad said:
There is an item you can get that will allow you to teleport back to your spawn point (which seems kind of silly, seeing as you can just quit and reload and be back there anyway), but as far as I know, there's no way to teleport/fast travel to different points on the map.

That functionality may be removed in a future patch, the devs posted a thread about it and though the response seemed to be a mix of "OMG, don mak teh gam 2 hard, i sux" and "Yes, that's cool and makes perfect sense, please do that", I think we'll see the spawn-on-log bit removed.

On the multiplayer server, I am more than happy to abuse my moderator powers and beam people all over the map. It's a large map and it's often easier to teleport people than to try and explain where stuff is.

I have a massive underground highway on my home map (using mario-esque warp pipes), that seems to be the only thing we can do until they get around to creating demonic portals or teleportation pads or something cool like that.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
ALL RIGHT YOU BASTARDS, FESS UP!

Today, sometime between 1:15 pm EST and 1:55 pm EST, someone dumped lava in the tower, in tutorial town, AND in the alchemy tower.

Unfortunately for your sorry ass, I HAVE SERVER LOGS AND BACKUPS.

And because of such, only TWO people have logged on between those times. To be safe, right now, I've banned both of you. If you're trying to log on, and it says you're banned, I need you to contact me for interrogation.

Server has been restored to its state when it was 1:15pm EST.

Harpuia

I got my first crystal heart..and it's been like 10 minutes and the Nurse hasn't appeared in my house?? I already have the merchant guy so it's not my house that's the problem..

Harpuia said:
I got my first crystal heart..and it's been like 10 minutes and the Nurse hasn't appeared in my house?? I already have the merchant guy so it's not my house that's the problem..

You need an empty house for her.

Harpuia

Grimm Fandango said:
You need an empty house for her.

so I need to make a little hut for her? What the heck.

Also the corruption continues to kick my ass everytime I attempt to cross it. :( Guess I'll never see what's beyond the two corrupted zones..

Wired

Harpuia said:
so I need to make a little hut for her? What the heck.

Also the corruption continues to kick my ass everytime I attempt to cross it. :( Guess I'll never see what's beyond the two corrupted zones..

Yes, there's a minimum size requirement as well. And you need a table, chair and at least one torch. This is true for all NPCs

inky

Man, I really need to get this game going. I bought it during the sale and I put like 5 hours into it only, but I'm still in copper armor and stuff. I always quit the game because I remember losing like a whole week to Minecraft and I am afraid this game will consume me :O

But all the talk in this thread about monsters and bosses and epic weapons is driving me nuts!

So I've dug down all the way to the lava, found 2 sky islands (used map tool for that, not going to cut 2000 trees just so I can build bridges till I find one), got my gold gear mostly (missing chestpiece and using mining helmet for light).
But now I can't mine the rocks in corruption, eye of cthulu won't show up. (he showed up twice before, wasn't prepared the first time, and died when he had 300 hp the second =( )
Found some demon forges before while spelunking but had no idea what they were, so I didn't bother remembering their location.

What is my best next move while waiting for him to show?
Not really in the mood to retrace my entire cave system trying to find a demon forge.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, if you ARE one of the people who were banned, and you're NOT a member of the NeoGAF forums, I can be reached through the Steam messenger. My steam id is: Harlan Ryudo. (I saw one of you try to log on earlier)

Edit: Huh... server pooped. Its back on now.

SneakyStephan said:
Not really in the mood to retrace my entire cave system trying to find a demon forge.

Why not just go into the Corruption and look around the bottom? Demon Altars are everywhere.

Vlad

SneakyStephan said:
So I've dug down all the way to the lava, found 2 sky islands (used map tool for that, not going to cut 2000 trees just so I can build bridges till I find one), got my gold gear mostly (missing chestpiece and using mining helmet for light).
But now I can't mine the rocks in corruption, eye of cthulu won't show up. (he showed up twice before, wasn't prepared the first time, and died when he had 300 hp the second =( )
Found some demon forges before while spelunking but had no idea what they were, so I didn't bother remembering their location.

Your next move is to go up to demonite equipment. Without at least the Nightmare Pickaxe, you can't mine the high-level stuff. Demonite is all over the world in small quantities, and in slightly higher quantities and frequency in the corruption areas. It actually glows slightly, so you can see it whenever it's on-screen, even if it's behind a wall, so be sure to keep an eye out. Unfortunately, some of the demonite in the corruption will be behind the ebonstone walls, which you can't mine without the demonite pickaxe. You don't HAVE to defeat the Eye of Cthulu in order to progress, but doing so will allow the Dryad NPC to appear, and she sells an item that will allow you to turn the ebonstone into regular stone. Also, the EoC tends to drop some demonite ore when you defeat it anyway, so it's a good way to get enough for the pickaxe quickly.

Also, you don't need to "wait" for the EoC to show up. Go to a demon forge and craft together some lenses. That'll make an item you can use to summon him at night.

Thanks, I'll try, finding a demon forge will be a huge pain in the ass though.

Also I made a world a while ago in 1.4, should I make a new one for 1.5 or does it not really matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom