• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wren said:
Is there a trick to locating floating islands? The new patch seems to have removed to ability to negate fall damage with "Cloud in a Bottle" so it looks like I'm going to have to invest some time in finding a lucky horseshoe.

whatthefuckwhatthefuckwhatthefuck why??

Best thing about that item!

It's almost enough to keep me from playing until it's patched!

almost

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Well, been enjoying the game so far, but I think we are nearing the end of content in the world I am playing in. We still have stuff to do, but I can't see it taking more then 5 or 10 hours to do.

What the game does has is great. I love the exploration, and the bosses and dungeons. I really wish the game had more bosses, as they are by far the best thing in the game. Even the same bosses but harder would be nice.

Wanace

Hawkian said:
whatthefuckwhatthefuckwhatthefuck why??

Best thing about that item!

It's almost enough to keep me from playing until it's patched!

almost

My first unique item was a lucky horseshoe. I happened to spot some vines hanging pretty far down from a floating island which was hovering above a pretty tall mountain. Got lucky. Still only have two uniques, a band of regeneration and the horseshoe. Have to do some more exploring and work.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Wren said:
Terraria is easily the most engrossing game I've ever played in my life. I'll boot it up with the intention of mining some ore for a few minutes and before I know it I've put an hour into the thing. Fantastic game.

Is there a trick to locating floating islands? The new patch seems to have removed to ability to negate fall damage with "Cloud in a Bottle" so it looks like I'm going to have to invest some time in finding a lucky horseshoe.

There is a gun you could use to shoot straight up. If the ammunition comes back down, you hit an island. I dont know with which guns this is possible though.

Just using meteor shot with any gun works (1 bar = 100 shot).

The meteor shot bounces once.

And I think I'm going to buy Minecraft soon after having so much fun with Terraria. I played it a little in Alpha or another early build when it was completely free to try out and now I regret missing out on the 10 euro price, but I'll definitely get it before the price goes up again in November.

Nessus

I get the feeling I'm making rather slow progress.

I've played for about 6 hours but I only have a gold sword and silver pickaxe.

I have a small house with the guide living in it and a bed for my spawn point. I've found 2 or 3 heart containers, and crafted 1 mana container, but I haven't learned/crafted any spells.

As soon as I get to the deeper areas with the skeletons I die very quickly.

Love the game, but I wish my friends had it so we could try multiplayer.

Huggy

Man, if you can't find that meteor that crashed you're pretty much screwed. Can you spawn another one (without angering a boss)?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nessus said:
I get the feeling I'm making rather slow progress.

I've played for about 6 hours but I only have a gold sword and silver pickaxe.

I have a small house with the guide living in it and a bed for my spawn point. I've found 2 or 3 heart containers, and crafted 1 mana container, but I haven't learned/crafted any spells.

As soon as I get to the deeper areas with the skeletons I die very quickly.

Love the game, but I wish my friends had it so we could try multiplayer.
If you get a grappling hook, you can attach yourself to the ceiling and fire arrows at the skeletons from above. It helps a lot with some enemies.

Drkirby said:
Well, been enjoying the game so far, but I think we are nearing the end of content in the world I am playing in. We still have stuff to do, but I can't see it taking more then 5 or 10 hours to do.

What the game does has is great. I love the exploration, and the bosses and dungeons. I really wish the game had more bosses, as they are by far the best thing in the game. Even the same bosses but harder would be nice.
In you're like me and didn't notice, there are also sky islands.

Neki

DangerousDave said:
Good changes. The biggest exploit (that i used) was going to hell using a tunnel, even with low armour and a gold pickaxe, and get hellstone, even if you had to die a lot of times to get a significative amount. Then, with a little time, you get the best equipment, without killing any boss or going to the corruption.

Now this require at least a boss (for the demonite pickaxe), and better armour (probably killing more bosses or getting meteorite), because the extra time to mine hellstone will make the "mine as much as you can before dying" less useful.

Not sure why you would do that super early, totally ruins the progression of the game.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Label said:
About on the 3rd hour of playing the game on the 16th hour now, it said the Merchant has arrived but he never entered the house, and well he is still not there! I have about 13 gold on my dude, so has he got lost somewhere? :(

Does anyone know what to do about this? :D 20 hours in now and he has still not turned up!

Also do you create or find spells? I have a sword that uses Mana but that is about it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You find them all as far as I know. I haven't seen any yet but I know about Magic Missile and Flamelash.

Neki

If you have any other possible areas that act as a house, he is probably there. If not, try destroying the house status of your rooms and rebuilding them, maybe he'll come.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ultimoo said:
If you have any other possible areas that act as a house, he is probably there. If not, try destroying the house status of your rooms and rebuilding them, maybe he'll come.

I have 3 houses and he is not in any of them and I have tried rebuilding them all, to see if that makes a difference!

I am fairly sure the fool is stuck down a hole somewhere, if that is it all possible.

Edit: is there anything that I need from the Merchant or can I just go on fine without him? As I have my demolition man to sell stuff to :)

Neki

NPCs don't jump/move down areas that are more than 3 blocks high, unless you actually destroy the ground under them. The merchant sells Mining Helmet (8 gold) / Piggy Bank (1 gold) (Universal bank), anvil, and lesser healing potions which are the main things. If you desperately need them, join a multi-player server and use their merchant. :p

BooJoh

As far as I can tell, NPCs will warp into their house at night if both the house and the NPC are out of your sight. The most likely cause of getting the "Merchant has arrived!" message but not being able to find him, is that you may have a house somewhere you forgot/don't realize they moved into. Maybe even underground somewhere. Any walled off area with a door/background walls and a table/chair/torch is viable housing, and I'm pretty sure location doesn't make a difference.

Wanace

I'd like something like a whip or similar that I can use to tame monsters. Maybe have my own zoo. That'd be neat. Or non-hostile creatures that can be tamed and wander around your house.

dingsbums

Neo Member
Huggy said:
Man, if you can't find that meteor that crashed you're pretty much screwed. Can you spawn another one (without angering a boss)?

I defeated 2 bosses and still no meteor. I think I'll have a talk with Skeletron.

Huggy

dingsbums said:
I defeated 2 bosses and still no meteor. I think I'll have a talk with Skeletron.

You need to break a shadow orb for a meteor to crash. However, break three of them and the corruption boss is summoned. I want to avoid that with my feeble gold armor.

Atomski

Cryptozoologist said:
I'd like something like a whip or similar that I can use to tame monsters. Maybe have my own zoo. That'd be neat. Or non-hostile creatures that can be tamed and wander around your house.
They mention maybe adding pets in the QA on the official website.

Anyways I really want teleports and maybe elevators. I'm lazy and want to get to key locations easier :p

Lanbeast

I'm hoping they use a Notch-esque method of adding content. I don't really want to have to start a new world in order for them to add world drops/enemies to the mix. Making portals to new worlds would be greeeeeeat.

owlbeak

If you keep walking through the corruption (above ground) will you eventually get out of it? Both directions from my original spawn lead into corruption, I'm trying to find a dungeon or something.

Also, what sort of pickaxe do you need to mine the underground stone in the corruption and where do I get the materials for it? I also found an orb I can't break. :O

dingsbums

Neo Member
Huggy said:
You need to break a shadow orb for a meteor to crash. However, break three of them and the corruption boss is summoned. I want to avoid that with my feeble gold armor.

I did break 3 and killed the boss. Wasn't that hard with my Ball 'O Hurt and silver armor. :)

Now that I managed to get the nightmare pickaxe, I'll try to smash a few more orbs.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
birdcity said:
If you keep walking through the corruption (above ground) will you eventually get out of it? Both directions from my original spawn lead into corruption, I'm trying to find a dungeon or something.

Also, what sort of pickaxe do you need to mine the underground stone in the corruption and where do I get the materials for it? I also found an orb I can't break. :O

Yes, it spreads though. Stone/sand ground (I think) and sunflowers stop it from spreading. The dungeon will be toward the very edge of one side of your world.

You need a nightmare (materials from Eye/Worm bosses) or molten (hellstone) pickaxe to get through ebonstone, though with the recent changes I'm guessing only the nightmare is feasible now. Dynamite also works to get through to the orb.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
How much demonite ore do the bosses drop? With 4 ore making just one bar, seems like it would take FOREVER to make anything.

xelios

Monroeski said:
How much definite ore do the bosses drop? With 4 ore making just one bar, seems like it would take FOREVER to make anything.

I don't remember offhand. Seems like it was 60-99 maybe even a little more sometimes, seems like it was 40-60 or so for shadow scales. I could be wrong though. Someone correct me if so because I haven't been killing bosses lately. Anyway, it's not a small amount.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
xelios said:
I don't remember offhand. Seems like it was 60-99 maybe even a little more sometimes, seems like it was 40-60 or so for shadow scales. I could be wrong though. Someone correct me if so because I haven't been killing bosses lately. Anyway, it's not a small amount.

Is it enough for 2 people to share? Do bosses respawn?

xelios

Label said:
Is it enough for 2 people to share? Do bosses respawn?

Can be and yes. Except Skeletron, I think you must go to a new world.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
xelios said:
Can be and yes. Except Skeletron, I think you must go to a new world.

Shweet, I have always been worried about this. For some reason I thought bosses would only spawn once and we would have to go to a new world to do it for each of us. Do they always spawn in the same place for easy farming?

Hell I am not even sure how bosses come about, summoned or free roaming etc. (nor do I want to really the surprises in this game are awesome.)

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Brazil said:
Ok, so:

WajWw.png

We have some awesome people here on GAF. Mr_Elysia, for example, is offering you guys 4 copies of Terraria. To win one, it's simple: tell us here in this thread why you'd like to play this great game.

I'll be the judge (and I promise to be fair - players who already have the game can give their opinions too, and I'll take them in consideration) and choose the 4 most creative or interesting answers. The deadline is the next tuesday.

Also, I know it's a cheesy contest. I did it on purpose.

Again: this is all thanks to the generosity of Mr_Elysia.

Cheers!

JtClS.jpg
Reposting this for the new page.

I'll announce the winners tonight! Just quote the banner and post your answer if you want to participate.

xelios

Label said:
Shweet, I have always been worried about this. For some reason I thought bosses would only spawn once and we would have to go to a new world to do it for each of us. Do they always spawn in the same place for easy farming?

Hell I am not even sure how bosses come about, summoned or free roaming etc. (nor do I want to really the surprises in this game are awesome.)

No, but at the same time they can if you want.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Damn, I wasn't sure what was over my hole to hell to know if bringing it fully to surface would be problematic. Turns out that the thing over it is my incredibly elaborate underground home for the demolitionist. I guess I'll have to build my floating tree and palace somewhere else.

Lanbeast

Danexmurder said:
Oh man. This is even more addictive than Minecraft.

I wrote in the Dragon Quest IX thread about how I dream of playing a massive multiplayer game in the same form. This one works the same. It would consume my life just as WoW did, years ago.

Lanbeast said:
I wrote in the Dragon Quest IX thread about how I dream of playing a massive multiplayer game in the same form. This one works the same. It would consume my life just as WoW did, years ago.

Yeah, it's quite the gameplay formula. I haven't had the "I just need to finish this one last thing, oh crap it's been 4 hours." thing happen for a while.

Had some good luck last night and found 3 crystal hearts in a 2 minute span while exploring underground. I also killed the Eater of Worlds twice and got my full shadow set. Now I need to decide where I want to go next. Is the Jungle easier than the Underworld and Dungeon?

Brazil said:

when this game first came out i completely ignored it. however, a little while after i went into the original Terraria thread, read a few posts, saw a few pictures and it was then that it grabbed my attention. everything about it seems so thrilling, whether that be the sense of exploration, the ability to play with your friends, and even the art style ( 2d games are my favorite). the other thing that attracted me to this seemingly wonderful game are people's comparisons of it to metroidvania, and metroid/the castlevanias are some of my favorite games of all time, mainly because of the aforementioned reasons. so, i'd love to be able to indulge in this game, thanks for the opportunity.

Grinchy

Banned
I whooped eye of cthulu's ass in my iron armor last night. That ball o' hurt is an awesome weapon. I use it almost exclusively now. I built a gold sword only to find out I'd barely use it!

I also made a new mineshaft that goes straight to hell, like someone posted a video of before. It's so convenient for going from surface to low altitude. I love this game.

L00P

Rockin' on a full molten armor now, fuck yeah! I bought the minishark and it's really fun to use. I also have a sunfury. The thing is hella strong!

Still haven't found the jungle underground or fight Skeletron yet. I guess they're next in my to-do list.

TheExodu5

Banned
I really plowed through this game over the weekend. Played with 3 other friends. I've done pretty much everything except for getting the Cobalt Armor and Molten Fury, along with a few rare items.

Retro

Atomski said:
They mention maybe adding pets in the QA on the official website.

Pets come up a lot on their suggestion forums, here was my contribution; http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/flora-and-fauna.9503/

Most of the suggestions are terrible though, people want character classes and experience/levels and crap that would undermine the charm of the game (pun intended). As far as I'm concerned, the game needs more stuff to loot, more monsters to fight, more 'events' (summoning bosses, etc.), more biomes under the surface, and more stuff to build with.

Tacking on mechanics to turn it into some horrible 2-D World of Warcraft is a fucking awful notion... seems like the developers know better, though.

Artanisix

Ultimoo said:
Not sure why you would do that super early, totally ruins the progression of the game.

This is exactly what I did... not because I wanted to break the game or anything, but it just naturally seemed like the right thing to do! I didn't use any guides online. I was completely shocked by how difficult "hell" was compared to the area right above it, though I thought that was just how things were supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom