• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bah, some issues regarding for the server are starting to pop up, so I figure I better lay all the cards on the table now.

TShock, the server mod that I'm using, may be dropping support when the update hits. Is this a big problem? Depends.

You see, I only really use TShock so I can keep track of players, and give me some addtional admin abilities, and help w/ some griefing issues. That's about it. Its not like I'm modding it to be an RPG, I tend to prefer to keep things simple for you guys, the server itself is pretty much a nice casual hangout for all of us to just mess around in.

Could I just run the server w/o any mods? Yeah, I could. But, if you guys who were around when I first started the server for you guys to play on, there was no server mod to begin with. Later on, I added the server mod mainly because of the griefing. Technically, I backup the server files all the time, so I could just rollback to an earlier backup if something bad happened.

Could I run a different server mod? Yes, I could. I'm currently looking into one called TDSM, but if you guys know of any others, I'd be happy to check them out. However, on the TShock forums, they claim that the TDSM guys will probably follow suit if TShock drops support. But that's what's claimed on the TShock forums, I don't really see anything like that on the TDSM forums, although they're not really guaranteeing that TDSM will be updated to accommodate 1.1

Could I just make the server private (and just use the stock server, no mods), just for Gaffers only? I could, but the only reason why I never bothered to do it that way is because I figured you guys would get annoyed by it. That, plus we do have players on the server who aren't GAF members, and I'd rather not kick their butts off. And I really don't mind if non-GAF people play on the server anyway.

Well, I run this server for you guys, and its not really that much trouble for me to run anyway, and plus, its fun for me. :p
If any of you have any suggestions, please, feel free to let me know.

Remfin

Why would the people drop the server mods? I can understand it being annoying to update them, but it would have to be something more than that I would think =\

Ugh I have already spend 6 hours playing and Its frustrating since I picked Medium-core. Everytime I die, getting it back very hard, especially it's underwater. There is no way to go back to softcore besides starting over?

duckroll

Ugh I have already spend 6 hours playing and Its frustrating since I picked Medium-core. Everytime I die, getting it back very hard, especially it's underwater. There is no way to go back to softcore besides starting over?

"Starting over" is a really vague concept in Terraria. The character difficulty is linked only to the character, not to the world or anything. So there's nothing stopping you from putting down a bunch of chests, putting all your items and equipment into them, and then creating another character in normal difficulty and going into the world and getting all the equipment. There are no levels in the game either, only hearts, so that's not a big deal either.

Retro

Every day I wake up and jump straight to the Terraria forums and Twitter in the hopes that Red took Blue's advice and decided to launch early. Rats.

Last night's little 'last hurrah' was fun, it just took forever to get Mumble set up. I have an old, cheap headset from my WoW days on Vent and like a moron, didn't use the Audio Wizard like the GAF thread suggested. Definitely looking forward to getting that to work properly (still didn't get the Overlay thing working) and hang out in Mumble all day after 1.1 hits and spout off Batman-isms.

SWEAR TO MEEEEE!

Why would the people drop the server mods? I can understand it being annoying to update them, but it would have to be something more than that I would think =\

From what I gather reading over the TShock forums, their development team is pissed off that Redigit hasn't been fixing bugs and exploits as quickly as they demand (they mention wanting bi-weekly updates), and because they think their API is the best, that puts them in a position to demand such things of the developer.

Just reading over their posts, they sound like a bunch of assholes, tossing around phrases like "If we fix bugs for Redigit, he will just be fat n lazy cuz he already haz da monies" and "Terraria is going to die without us". Honestly sounds like a flock of fuckwads who think they deserve to have a hand in the game's development by virtue of their extraneous work and Redigit is reluctant to let an outside group (who, again, sound terribly uncivil) influence the game.

I get the draw of Medium and Hardcore characters, but not for starting out in the game. That's not saying the harder difficulties are an end-game only thing, but if you've only got 5 hearts worth of life and are using a copper sword... well, you die a lot early on, usually just because the world is full of dangers, not through any fault of your own. Once you've gotten established and can toss a few Heart Crystals and such at a new M/H-core character, then it's not so bad.

But yeah, I wouldn't start anew with anything but softcore. Maybe I'm just a pussy.

well, you die a lot early on, usually just because the world is full of dangers, not through any fault of your own.
I developed a method of mining that works very well for hardcore.
- Never drop into caves from top, only enter them from the sides
- Avoid water entirely, digging around it if necessary and building bridges on top
- Do not dig large drops. Instead have long horizontal hallways for seeking ore and drop down about six blocks before starting another hallway, creating a zig-zag motion. This makes it easy to not get killed, definitely easy to get back up without the grappling hook, and also enemies don't spawn frequently in these hallways for whatever reason.
- When going into huge caves, don't attempt to explore it all at once. Build bridges to explore segments of it and dig through walls to get to another part of it. This helps prevent bats from screwing you over and makes navigation easier.

Whenever my HC character died, it was going to the corruption and being unable to handle the enemies there which was a mistake that was very much my fault.

Put some chests with your stuff in it and place the chests where a new character will spawn. You can then take the items with your softcore character.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gonna try to hop on the server when I get on the main PC. I started helping a friend last night and he hosted but there was no save option when he quit. Please tell me the game saves that to at least the MP portion of the game. We spent about an hour digging stuff and I gifted him a few items.

weeskwee

Banned
how is multiplayer in this game? i got it back on release day and have hardly touched it. this new trailer has made me decide to go all in.

would i get grief joining the server even though i don't really know what i'm doing? or do i need to be some sort of master craftsman to help build the world into a super fortress as quick as possible?

just really not sure how the mp works here.

Retro

Gonna try to hop on the server when I get on the main PC. I started helping a friend last night and he hosted but there was no save option when he quit. Please tell me the game saves that to at least the MP portion of the game. We spent about an hour digging stuff and I gifted him a few items.

I've never hosted a multiplayer server, but I'm pretty sure it auto-saves the character on disconnect and the world on server shutdown. Any items you gave him will be in his character's inventory, and the world should have all of your changes...

But don't quote me on that since I've never run a server.

how is multiplayer in this game? i got it back on release day and have hardly touched it. this new trailer has made me decide to go all in.

would i get grief joining the server even though i don't really know what i'm doing? or do i need to be some sort of master craftsman to help build the world into a super fortress as quick as possible?

Multiplayer Terraria is basically single player but with other people running around; you don't need to be a master or even know what you're doing; the last two GAF servers started with a Tutorial to help new players figure out how to play. And though the server is kind of unpopulated now (everyone is waiting for 1.1) people are always happy to answer questions or help a new player out. I've often stopped my own building projects to help show a new player the ropes. So no, you can hop right onto the GAF server without even trying single player. In fact, with the tutorial town? It might even be better.

We don't have any objective beyond having fun or doing things that you normally would do in single player (find treasure, build stuff, beat bosses).

It's fun, give it a try.

gafterraria.dyndns.org
port 7777

You'll need to register (type /register) before you can build anything, however; that's to prevent vandalism.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Server will auto-save upon exit, and will also auto-save every couple of minutes. If the host is using the command line server (instead of just the Host & Play option), there's also a command to save.

Nah, nothing like that at all. PvP isnt on by default, so its not like you'll be murdered as soon as you get on. We're actually a little TOO helpful, when it comes to new players. You might get gifts from other players, trying to help you out. This actually may be a bad thing, depending on how you want to look at it. I know I've told Retro that the admins will avoid giving out anything for free for the new 1.1 world.

Retro

Patch tomorrooowww hyppee.

I'm not sure on the source, but people on the Terraria forum claim that Redigit says the patch will hit between noon and 3pm eastern time tomorrow. So, give or take a few hours, we should have it in 24 hours.

Already been trying to plan out my new singe-player storage world's layout; I like to build separate towers for each type of item and move the appropriate NPC there, if you'll remember. But it's a very very rough plan so far, because I just don't know what's going to be in the next patch.

Hopefully, we'll see the patch notes tomorrow morning. I'm not sure I want to read them since it feels like spoiling all of the new content... but then, I know if they go live before the patch does, there's no way I won't... the need to look will just be too strong.

Also, this image has been floating around last night;

shroomvillage.png

Click for bigger version.

From what I've been reading, this image is proof that in 1.1 you can establish towns at any elevation and the NPCs will still move in (and enemies will stop spawning). Whether it applies to hell or not, I can't say, and people may just be making a mountain out of a molehill over just one image.

So... yeah... tomorrow!

IceMarker

So my plan for tomorrow is like this, I work tonight, I'm getting home around 10:30pm PST, booting up Mumble and Terraria and just gonna wait until release, at which point I'll either immediately jump into SP, or if you guys are on we'll begin operation new GAF-only character, Harlan willing.

Well with the update tomorrow and finals next week, this might be my last post in the thread until I'm finished with my exams. Want a lot of this to be fresh when I start. Have fun with the update guys and keep a spot open for me :)

Retro

So my plan for tomorrow is like this, I work tonight, I'm getting home around 10:30pm PST, booting up Mumble and Terraria and just gonna wait until release, at which point I'll either immediately jump into SP, or if you guys are on we'll begin operation new GAF-only character, Harlan willing.

... You're going to let everything sit there for 11-13 hours? It's not supposed to drop until 9AM - noon PST.

My plans: Stay up late tonight, possibly with Skyward Sword. Drive the wife to work in the morning, go back to bed and sleep until noon. Check status from bed via phone. Get up, make a pizza, read the patch notes while eating. Upgrade and kick open Mumble. PLAY. Forget wife at work, have fight, say "I'll sleep on the couch" in mock-anger and stay up all night playing.
JUWnj.gif

Seriously though, all of that without leaving my wife at work. I figure I owe her that much since it's her birthday later this week. Got her a bunch of awesome gifts though and a really good one for our anniversary in March, so if she still hates me then at least that'll help.

Well with the update tomorrow and finals next week, this might be my last post in the thread until I'm finished with my exams. Want a lot of this to be fresh when I start. Have fun with the update guys and keep a spot open for me :)

Yeah right, it's gonna be like a land rush. You're going to arrive on the GAF server and it'll be picked clean of all valuable resources and paved over completely from sea to shining sea. You should just hang the finals, how much can they really affect your final grade? And tell me, do you really need a degree?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
All right folks, last night of the current world on the server. Come midnight tonight (Eastern Standard Time), I'm shutting the server down in preparation for tomorrow's inevitable update to 1.1

Like what happened the last time an update hit, THE SERVER WILL NOT IMMEDIATELY GO BACK UP AS SOON AS 1.1 HITS. Once 1.1 hits, I will need to determine all my options as to how to setup the server (mods, etc). Considering the state of the server mod scene in Terraria right now, I'm not expecting any immediate action on their part, so we might run a vanilla server (w/c isnt that big of a problem, really). I will also NOT BE HOME ALL DAY TOMORROW. I'll probably be home sometime after 7pm (EST).

A post will go up when the server goes live.

Retro

I will also NOT BE HOME ALL DAY TOMORROW. I'll probably be home sometime after 7pm (EST).

.... call in sick. You have a responsibility and need to get your priorities straight, asap.

Out of curiosity though, how does the Host & Play option work? I'd always heard that you need to have two copies of Terraria open for people to join your server. I'm not saying I'm going to set up a server or anything, but if people want to play together maybe we can bounce around eachother's servers all day.

Or I can just play single player, not like I don't have a city to build and tons of new features to learn.

Sophia

All right folks, last night of the current world on the server. Come midnight tonight (Eastern Standard Time), I'm shutting the server down in preparation for tomorrow's inevitable update to 1.1

Like what happened the last time an update hit, THE SERVER WILL NOT IMMEDIATELY GO BACK UP AS SOON AS 1.1 HITS. Once 1.1 hits, I will need to determine all my options as to how to setup the server (mods, etc). Considering the state of the server mod scene in Terraria right now, I'm not expecting any immediate action on their part, so we might run a vanilla server (w/c isnt that big of a problem, really). I will also NOT BE HOME ALL DAY TOMORROW. I'll probably be home sometime after 7pm (EST).

9ACDFE3C2DB913690EA3A3C03AC6C7695C514275

balddemon

Banned
well that was fun. jumped down Federico's shaft (no homo) then ran all the way left and mucked around in hell for a few minutes. i'm surprised theres still hellstone left.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
.... call in sick. You have a responsibility and need to get your priorities straight, asap.

Out of curiosity though, how does the Host & Play option work? I'd always heard that you need to have two copies of Terraria open for people to join your server. I'm not saying I'm going to set up a server or anything, but if people want to play together maybe we can bounce around eachother's servers all day.

Or I can just play single player, not like I don't have a city to build and tons of new features to learn.

If the update schedule is the same as last time, we'll get the thing mid afternoon. Even when we DO get the update, any updates for server mods won't be made available until several hours later anyway. More than likely, I would have put the server up at night anyway (like last time). ^O^

And you have New Tutorial Town to build. :p

Retro

If the update schedule is the same as last time, we'll get the thing mid afternoon. Even when we DO get the update, any updates for server mods won't be made available until several hours later anyway. More than likely, I would have put the server up at night anyway (like last time). ^O^

And you have New Tutorial Town to build. :p

Yeah, I was just busting your balls for having the audacity to get a job and work when we all want to play Terraria on your dime. And with the server mods always being a problem (especially with those rat-fucks who made TShock) on patch day, I don't think anyone expects the current smooth server to transition quickly.

And I *built* a tutorial already, but unless TEdit2 is readily supported (and I doubt it is), I doubt we'll be able to import it.

IceMarker

Alright I'm home, time for a Terraria 1.0.6.1 marathon, followed by sleep, then a Terraria 1.1 marathon!

I'm on Mumble and will be on the GAF server shortly, as of this post.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
How about setting a shop? I never played MP though, so I don't know how much a hassle it is to transfer items between people.

Not that hard to transfer things between people, and you can sell or trade w/ other players if you want (by honesty system). That's pretty much how we've done things on the server anyway (although we tend to give more stuff away than sell/trade for them).

Server mods would allow me to setup shops, but that would rely on server mods, w/c we have no idea at this point if they're even going to support the new update. However, since I never used that particular plugin for the mod, its not that big of a deal.

The "giving away crap for free" thing is mainly for/about me and Retro. Since we have admin/mod powers on the server, we can create crap out of thin air. Also, I'd like to clarify that its not "giving away the really awesome cool stuff", its mainly the "give away building materials", this would include blocks and furniture. Sure it would make things EASIER for you guys to build things (made things a lot easier for Retro), but it did detract from the whole "let's explore until we find the resources we need" aspect. It's also something I'm SURE Retro and I are capable of, since we didn't really have the "create stuff out of thin air" ability for the first couple of server worlds we created anyway, and the stuff created in those previous worlds are just as awesome as the stuff created on the current world.

Retro

3 and a half hours until we're in the launch window... I can barely contain myself.

I'd like to clarify that its not "giving away the really awesome cool stuff", its mainly the "give away building materials", this would include blocks and furniture. Sure it would make things EASIER for you guys to build things (made things a lot easier for Retro), but it did detract from the whole "let's explore until we find the resources we need" aspect.

Yeah, I think in the last few months I've given away a Minishark (during a Goblin Invasion, to be fair), some Meteor shot, and one or two vanity items that were stubbornly refusing to drop from King Slime or required specific situations (day after a blood moon, etc.) that aren't hard to accomplish but are tedious to wait for.

Everything else has been bricks, walls, and wood to help people build.

It's also something I'm SURE Retro and I are capable of, since we didn't really have the "create stuff out of thin air" ability for the first couple of server worlds we created anyway, and the stuff created in those previous worlds are just as awesome as the stuff created on the current world.

If I recall correctly, I was still importing supplies from my storage world as late as 1.0.6's launch. In fact, I used up all of my dirt building my floating island before Harlan granted me item generation abilities.

It's made it way too easy to just summon up materials on a whim, and I would like to get back to the actual harvesting - refining - building process that's actually very calming. I'm sure I'll switch back to generating materials at some point, probably a month or so from now, but I'm eager to get back to straight up digging and exploring again.

Besides... I don't need to generate items... my Storage world is fucking packed to the gills (potion).

kazinova

Man, I'm going to be so happy just to peruse the patch notes if we can get our grubby hands on them today. I won't be able to play until 10pm EST, so I'll have to wait until then.

Drazgul

Patch notes, I needs them!

Still got my old world saves, but eh, guess I'll start all over again once more. I have for every major patch since the original release - one way to prolong the hours I get out of it, I guess. :p

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yeah, think I'll start over. I tried a new character yesterday and it is a different game when you don't have immunity from fall damage and god-like weapons.

Been awhile since I played, the harpies surprised me when I tried to get featherfall boots---can't remember the real name---early in the game. Then I thought I'd try to get some stuff from the jungle really early and was surprised when the bees had a ranged attack.

Then I decided that a grappling hook would be my first realistic goal and it took over 100 skeletons to get a hook drop!

IceMarker

Patch notes, I needs them!
Courtesy of Redigit himself, non-spoiler edition:
NPC’s

There are thirty-six new monsters!
The underworld has a new master, the Wall of Flesh. Defeating him will unlock new challenges for your world.
There are three harder versions of the older bosses.
There are now three new friendly NPC’s that can be rescued after specific conditions are met.
The Dryad will now tell you the percentage of Corruption vs. Hallow in the world.
Made several small changes to allow for better underground cities.
New NPCs will spawn in their homes underground, instead of on the surface.
Worms will no longer spawn when near a friendly NPC.
Underground towns will now reduce, and eventually stop, enemy spawning.

Items

Added thirty-nine statues that are scattered around the world. Some of them do special things when activated with mechanics!
Star Cannon : Shoots faster.
Sandgun : Sand shot from it does more damage, and it shoots faster.
Blowpipe : Now listed as ranged.
Goblins no longer drop rocket boots during an invasion. Instead they are sold by a new NPC that can be rescued underground after the player has defeated the Goblin Army.
Boomerang type weapons are listed as melee.
Added four new armor sets. Each set has different helms that give bonuses to melee, ranged, or magic, respectively.
There are twenty-one new accessories.
Weapons and accessories can now have random conditions that modify their stats. These conditions can be changed for a price by visiting a new NPC.
The crafting requirements for Molten and Jungle gear have been reduced.
Some accessories can now be combined at a Tinkerer’s Workshop.
Colored Torches can now be crafted out of Gems and Torches.
Added Mannequins that are crafted out of wood. Place armor on them for decoration/storage.
Added the Wrench to place wires.
Added Wire Cutters to remove wires.
Added Pressure Plates, Switches, and Timers to activate devices.
Added Music Boxes that record and play in-game music.
Added Pumps to transport liquids.
Added loads of other new items and weapons waiting to be found!
Putting the Guide Voodoo Doll in lava is now a bad idea...or is it?

Lighting / Display

Terraria now has smooth, colored lighting! You can toggle between the four lighting modes: Color, White, Retro, and Trippy in the Options Menu or by pressing F7.
Made several lighting and display optimizations to increase game performance.
Added automatic graphic quality adjustment based on the game’s frame rate. This setting can be toggled in the Options Menu.

Multiplayer

Fixed a problem with item syncing for newly connected players.
Fixed a bug that caused graphical issues for player’s using automatic weapons.
Added a limit to how often the server can broadcast NPC update packets. This prevents NPC’s from trying to update every cycle which would cause massive amounts of lag.
Reduced the amount of data needed to transmit tiles down to 25%.
The server now only broadcasts tile data to the players who need it.
The server now withholds some NPC, player, and projectile packets based on player distance from them.
Fixed a bug where water is consumed when a player cures Corruption with Purification Powder while standing in water.

World

Above ground tunnels may now be created during world gen.
Smashing Demon Altars with a special item will cause new ore to appear around the world.
Defeating the hell boss will now increase the difficulty of the world. Harder monsters will spawn, and the Corruption’s rate of spread will be greatly increased.
Defeating the hell boss will allow the Corruption to spread underground, over sand, stone, and Sunflowers, and through Jungles, destroying them if you let it!
There is a new biome, The Hallow, that will be created when the hell boss is defeated.
Removed obsolete lighting code, reducing both RAM usage and world save file sizes.
Added several small features to world gen.
Tweaked the way and amount of Underground Mushroom biome spawn.
Demon Torches now appear in shelters generated in the underworld.
Underground cabins may randomly spawn around chests.
Different styles of wall can now be placed next to one another without showing the background between them, allowing for more creative building.
When nearing the top of the world, the player will now leave the atmosphere and be less affected by gravity.
There are now three types of traps that are generated underground. Watch your step!
Cacti no longer damage players.

Game Interface

Items being held by the mouse will now be used by left clicking. This allows the player to place objects without putting them on the hotbar. Right clicking will now drop the item.
Placing objects on grass will now destroy the grass.
The crafting menu now scales to fit the size of the screen.
When the inventory is open, the number of the selected item in the hotbar will appear in green.
There is a new NPC housing interface that can be used to assign living areas to NPC’s. This interface will also tell you if a room is missing any requirements.

Misc

There is a new music track for The Hallow biome.
Underground Corruption has its own music track.
Underground Hallow has its own music track.
There are two new boss music tracks.
Greatly reduced world save file sizes.
Decreased tile frame detection time by 15%.
Your trash can is now emptied when you die.
Added an auto select hotkey that will pick a tool from the player’s inventory based on what their mouse is hovering over. This defaults to Left Shift.
All players will now leave behind tombstones when killed.
There is now a random option in the player creation menu.
Female players now have separate armor graphics.
Added a new mechanical system! Holding a mechanical item will display the wire grid to create interesting new devices.
There are new overworld backgrounds for each biome!

Bug Fixes

Fixed a bug that would cause the server to think a player is dead if he/she reaches 1 HP without dying.
Fixed a bug that wouldn’t allow players to craft from the ammo slot.
Fixed a bug that would crash the game when player tried to draw water outside the bounds of the world.
Fixed a bug that would cause mana regen to ignore stat bonuses given by armor or accessories
Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause the game to crash when growing Underground Jungle grass.
Wooden Platforms no longer attach to non-solid objects.
Placing and removing items during the placing animation will no longer destroy the item when it is collected.
Fixed a bug that would cause graphical abnormalities when the lighting changes dramatically.
The FPS display (F10) shows the correct number.
Fixed a bug that swapped the lighting of players pants and head armor.
Fixed a problem that would cause water to settle in strange positions.
Fixed a problem that caused objects with transparency to appear darker than they should.

1-2 HOURS REMAIN

balddemon

Banned
sure that makes sense but does the hallow spread or we gotta use like a purification powder crop dusting plane to stop it

will be fun to find out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom