• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Hmm, maybe the thread title needs to be changed;

Terraira |OT2| Indie Game of the Year

If a kind soul could stock some up to sell to me once the server is back up, I would be very appreciative. Or is there some other way of getting them?

I have a stockpile of them (I have a stockpile of everything), when the server is up I'll get some to you. How many do you need, a stack of each color?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Servers are back up!

Reason they were down: "Small woodland creatures."

That's code for: "someone forgot to pay the internet bill for the last two months, and I had to wait till I got paid before I could actually get it back up and running"

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Hmm, maybe the thread title needs to be changed;

Terraira |OT2| Indie Game of the Year

Al_Bundy_excited.gif

Retro

Two stacks, if that's no trouble, would be great, thanks so much.

Alright, I'm gonna be hanging out on the Normal mode server for a bit with your Christmas lights. What's your character name on there, by the way, so I know who to look for?

Has there been a daily deal on this on Steam yet?

Really wish there was a Mac version. I'm only going to have access to a Windows machine for another week.

balddemon

Banned
It was $2.50! On purpose, no less. This is one of those games where if you don't have it...shame on you! You missed it twice at that price.

Koomaster

It was $2.50! On purpose, no less. This is one of those games where if you don't have it...shame on you! You missed it twice at that price.
Yeah, it's easily worth full price for all the content and the update support for it. I love all the little gadgets and new stuff they added with the updates the past month. :)

A little late, but mine and my friend's Christmas Display.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been a daily deal on this on Steam yet?

Really wish there was a Mac version. I'm only going to have access to a Windows machine for another week.

Yeah, there has been two in very recent memory. The last one was a couple of days ago.

Looks like for today's Steam Encore sale, they are selling Terraria AGAIN for $2.50

Last chance folks. :p

Achtius

Some question about ores, I just beat wall of flesh and got the pwnhammer. Should I destory the demon alter 3 times in a row to spawn all 3 (cobalt, mythril and adamantite) ores before trying to mine them OR should I destroy the demon alter each time I finish mining the ore that is "blessed"?

Achtius

Thanks again! :)

Now another problem, corruption is spreading to my base, how do i stop it without making my base hallowed either?

edit: corruptor is making it worse, I already dig a hole to prevent it from spreading but then it just infected more land when it try to attack me :(

coldvein

Banned
so i just downloaded this off steam and have been attempting to play it w/ a friend and somehow can't make it happen. he creates a world. i hit "join" or whateva and it asks for an IP address. is that just his computer's IP address? what is the IP address! i am retard.

Voidguts

bump for nub question

your friend can see his IP address at http://www.whatismyip.com/ - but if he doesn't know how to port forward (on port 7777, I think? been a while..) then you guys probably won't be able to connect to eachother anyways.. you could try Hamachi if that's the case - it's like a virtual LAN program. make a room, both join it, get his Hamachi IP from the program, join that, play until your eyes bleed.

Achtius

okay,i can't stop the corruption from invading :(

edit: I just wall off one side with bricks (i can't believe this is the only way =/

Retro

so i just downloaded this off steam and have been attempting to play it w/ a friend and somehow can't make it happen. he creates a world. i hit "join" or whateva and it asks for an IP address. is that just his computer's IP address? what is the IP address! i am retard.

There's also the NeoGAF server to play on if neither of you can connect directly to each other. neogafterraria.dyndns.org / port 7777. There is a password, PM me or Haryu for it.

okay,i can't stop the corruption from invading :(

edit: I just wall off one side with bricks (i can't believe this is the only way =/

Careful now; corruption can spread through some brick types, if I remember correctly.

That's kind of the downside to Hardmode, and why my homeworld will probably never have it activated; it can destroy your carefully planned fortress / village quickly and with very little recourse.

I'm not sure how else they could have implemented Hardmode, but surely there could have been *some* method for stopping it's spread into NPC-inhabited areas.

Sarcasm

whatismyip.com

Also open up port 7777 or use the console server and find an open port.

coldvein

Banned
how does one "open port 7777".. ? i've got my buddies IP address. he has created a world. i hit "join", type in the IP, get a prompt for a server number, 7777 is already there. hit enter. it just says "connecting ..... " forever, no dice. does he have to do something on his end to open the port?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I want to play on a server that isn't in hardmode, anyone have any idea of good ones? Or if you want some help with something.....

Unofficial GAF Server is actually two servers, one is normal mode, the other is hard mode.
IP address: neogafterraria.dyndns.org
Port: 7777 (normal) -or- 8888 (hardmode)
Password: PM me or Retro for the password

how does one "open port 7777".. ? i've got my buddies IP address. he has created a world. i hit "join", type in the IP, get a prompt for a server number, 7777 is already there. hit enter. it just says "connecting ..... " forever, no dice. does he have to do something on his end to open the port?

He needs to mess w/ his router. www.portforward.com has a setup tutorial there specific to Terraria, just pick the router being used, and take it from there. Note that on the way to the ACTUAL tutorial, there's an ad, which you can skip (top right corner, it says "CLICK HERE TO SKIP")

coldvein

Banned
Unofficial GAF Server is actually two servers, one is normal mode, the other is hard mode.

He needs to mess w/ his router. www.portforward.com has a setup tutorial there specific to Terraria, just pick the router being used, and take it from there. Note that on the way to the ACTUAL tutorial, there's an ad, which you can skip (top right corner, it says "CLICK HERE TO SKIP")

cool, thanks. i am brand new to this game, btw. managed to get into the gaf server but i was somehow trapped in a floating castle of some sort! will try to make this direct connection business work..

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
cool, thanks. i am brand new to this game, btw. managed to get into the gaf server but i was somehow trapped in a floating castle of some sort! will try to make this direct connection business work..

Man, maybe we made that tutorial town thing a little hard...

If you follow the signs, and make it to the end of the castle (top right), you'll see there's a hole you can drop through.

*clears throat*
PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE: DROP THROUGH THERE. ITS SAFE. DO NOT DROP OFF THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ISLAND, UNLESS YOU HAVE WAYS OF SURVIVING A HIGH FALL. ONLY DROP OFF THE RIGHT SIDE, AND DON'T VEER LEFT OR RIGHT, JUST DROP STRAIGHT DOWN.

IceMarker

cdR24.png

Capture The Gem is a mildly popular "game mode" for Terraria in which two teams of 2-8 Mediumcore-only characters are given a limited set of resources at the start and attempt to build up each others bases on either side of the map and then attempt to capture each others gems. The team who holds onto the opposing teams gem from their chest and places it in theirs for a full Terraria day wins the match. It's a fun "game mode" from what I've seen and for Terraria players looking for an extra kick will certainly enjoy the HUGE re-playability of this "mode". Here is a good video of a typical CTG round by Orbb24.

Game Rules:
  • All players must have a brand new Mediumcore character (100 Max HP, 0 Max MP) at the start of each match set. No exceptions.
  • All players currently playing must have PvP enabled and join either the Green or Blue party, teams must be even or within 1 player count.
  • Players have ONE Terraria day and night to set up their base, as soon as the music changes for the second in-game day, players may cross the center base to attack.
  • Players MUST ANNOUNCE VIA IN-GAME TEXT CHAT that they have captured the gem from the enemy teams chest. You must also announce if you have dropped the gem or if it has arrived in your teams chest. (Example: "Gemcap" in chat.)
  • You must have the enemy's gem in your chest for a full Terraria day to win. (For example, if it is night when the gem arrives in your chest, you must wait until night ends, and then the full day after the night the gem was captured, when night arrives the next night, you win.)
  • You may never move the Gold Chests that contains the gems.
  • Use the chat command "/p" to talk to your specific team/party.

Banned Items:
  • Dynamite; Explosives (Bombs and Grenades are OK)
  • Gravity Potion
  • Invisibility Potion
  • Feather Fall Potion*
  • Magic Mirror*
  • Boss Summoners
*These items are banned from use if your team is in possession of the enemy gem.

If you're interested, I'll have the server up whenever we have people ready to play, I'll make a post here if we need players, or need more. You can also message me on Steam.
(I've also talked to Harlan about getting one of his server converted into a CTG server, but for now nothing is official.)

I'm currently thinking about changing this to Capture the Statue, as it would be easier to tell if your stuff has been capped. Thoughts?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was gifted this game during the Steam sale, thinking about firing it up. It just feels a bit daunting. Are these feelings justified, or is the game easy to get into? Can you play it in short spurts, or do you need to devote hours at a time (I'm trying to get through a bunch of other games too)?

Retro

I was gifted this game during the Steam sale, thinking about starting playing it. It just feels a bit daunting. Are these feelings justified, or is the game easy to get into? Can you play it in short spurts, or do you need to devote hours at a time (I have a bunch of other games I'm trying to get through)?

I can be a little intimidating at first just because it's meant to be; you're dropped into a strange world with no shelter, no supplies and only the most basic of tools. Your only source of help is the Guide (who only offers advice). Until you get a few tiers of armor into the game, it has a very strong survival flavor that can seem a bit daunting.

The best advice is to chop down some trees, kill a few slimes (for wood and gel, respectively, to make torches), and then start digging; don't go wandering too much on the surface because you will inevitably run into more difficult terrain (called "biomes") like the desert or corruption. You're also relatively safe underground during the night, when all of the nasties come out. Just don't dig too deep too quickly; there's a lot more dangerous below the surface than above it.

After that, it's just looking for ore to create new weapons and armor with and returning to the surface for more wood (there are plenty of slimes underground that you won't need to hunt for more Gel). You can build a house for NPCs to move into and to store your loot, but for the first few hours, just dig and survive. You'll probably find a lot of treasure chests too.

Also; the GAF server has a quick tutorial for new players (safely floating up in the sky); neogafterraria.dyndns.org / port: 7777. There is a password; PM myself or HaRyu for it.

As for play time, You can play it in short bursts, though don't be surprised if you find yourself saying things like "One more tunnel" or "One more ore deposit". It's best to travel with a bed and establish little 'base camps', otherwise every time you play you'll have to run all the way back to where you were digging previously. That's why people tend to build hellevators and then little offshoots along the way.

IceMarker

Been waiting an hour and a half and still not enough people to play (Just NukeDukem and I in server.)

Guess I'll try again next week.

Somnid

I was gifted this game during the Steam sale, thinking about firing it up. It just feels a bit daunting. Are these feelings justified, or is the game easy to get into? Can you play it in short spurts, or do you need to devote hours at a time (I'm trying to get through a bunch of other games too)?

It's hard at first because, quite frankly, the interface is shit (They have made improvements for some of the more infuriating things since I started). Once you get around that it's quite wonderful and definitely great for spurt play. Typically you jump into your hole and start searching for minerals. You may only spend a 5-15 minutes per run to find a couple new veins save and exit with your loot but more often you'll get the addiction and keep exploring.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I can be a little intimidating at first just because it's meant to be; you're dropped into a strange world with no shelter, no supplies and only the most basic of tools. Your only source of help is the Guide (who only offers advice). Until you get a few tiers of armor into the game, it has a very strong survival flavor that can seem a bit daunting.

The best advice is to chop down some trees, kill a few slimes (for wood and gel, respectively, to make torches), and then start digging; don't go wandering too much on the surface because you will inevitably run into more difficult terrain (called "biomes") like the desert or corruption. You're also relatively safe underground during the night, when all of the nasties come out. Just don't dig too deep too quickly; there's a lot more dangerous below the surface than above it.

After that, it's just looking for ore to create new weapons and armor with and returning to the surface for more wood (there are plenty of slimes underground that you won't need to hunt for more Gel). You can build a house for NPCs to move into and to store your loot, but for the first few hours, just dig and survive. You'll probably find a lot of treasure chests too.

Also; the GAF server has a quick tutorial for new players (safely floating up in the sky); neogafterraria.dyndns.org / port: 7777. There is a password; PM myself or HaRyu for it.

As for play time, You can play it in short bursts, though don't be surprised if you find yourself saying things like "One more tunnel" or "One more ore deposit". It's best to travel with a bed and establish little 'base camps', otherwise every time you play you'll have to run all the way back to where you were digging previously. That's why people tend to build hellevators and then little offshoots along the way.

Thanks!

"Hellevators"? Are these actual elevators (can you build such things?), or just shafts with some kind of stairs/ladders in them?

It's hard at first because, quite frankly, the interface is shit (They have made improvements for some of the more infuriating things since I started). Once you get around that it's quite wonderful and definitely great for spurt play. Typically you jump into your hole and start searching for minerals. You may only spend a 5-15 minutes per run to find a couple new veins save and exit with your loot but more often you'll get the addiction and keep exploring.

Thanks for your input!

Can you save anywhere, or just when you're at a safe location?

Thanks!

"Hellevators"? Are these actual elevators (can you build such things?), or just shafts with some kind of stairs/ladders in them?

Thanks for your input!

"Hellevators" are just a long hole that brings you to hell. Normally a long drop with water at the bottom so you don't die.

You can save anywhere but once you start up again you will be at spawn, or where ever you put your bed.

Retro

Thanks!

Basically just to add to Matt's post above mine;

No, you can't make actual elevators, but they added wires and such in the last patch so it's something they're kind of flirting with / working towards. You can make rough ladders by placing wooden platforms in a row.

As for saving, a Bed (something like 10 wood and 10 silk, made from Cobwebs at a loom) is basically a save point, though in order for it to be considered 'safe', you actually have to build a room around it. Not terribly difficult, but it's not as simple as it could be.

Otherwise, without a bed, you will always spawn at the default spawn point at the surface.

Retro

Hellevators are always an adventure to build, lol

And that would be great if building an actual elevator became possible

There's already a ton of threads in the Suggestion section of the official forums, and a couple of them are actually quite well thought-out in terms of mechanics (a lot of suggests are made without any thought beyond "wouldn't it be cool if...").

At the very least, a buoyant material could be added so pumps could be used to set up rough hydraulic devices (Pump water in to lift a platform, pump it out to lower it, etc.). I feel like we might get a little tease before the end of the month, but we're still only a few weeks past the last patch.

Some people have made some pretty impressive things already, after all;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeA3CCgtAOc&feature=player_embedded

And the how to: Amazingly huge and complex.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYkXv05hsk&feature=related

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for your input!

You can save anywhere but once you start up again you will be at spawn, or where ever you put your bed.

As for saving, a Bed (something like 10 wood and 10 silk, made from Cobwebs at a loom) is basically a save point, though in order for it to be considered 'safe', you actually have to build a room around it. Not terribly difficult, but it's not as simple as it could be.

Otherwise, without a bed, you will always spawn at the default spawn point at the surface.

And one tip for using beds w/c are far away from the default spawn point: leave a chest next to the bed.

When you need to do a quick teleport to the default spawn point (aka, use a magic mirror), just break the bed w/ a hammer and dump the bed in the chest, that way it'll be there for next time you want to set your spawn point there.

Achtius

So is there anything I can do (other than attacking it yourself) that prevent wraith from entering your base during blood moon?

Apparently they can go through lava without taking any damage (I surrounded my base with lava for nothing =/ )

base.png

The lava are surrounded by cobalt ore so those stupid clown can't destroy it and flood my base with lava XD

I also plug the entrances with active stone blocks with a lever in the first floor.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
So is there anything I can do (other than attacking it yourself) that prevent wraith from entering your base during blood moon?

Apparently they can go through lava without taking any damage (I surrounded my base with lava for nothing =/ )

base.png

The lava are surrounded by cobalt ore so those stupid clown can't destroy it and flood my base with lava XD

I also plug the entrances with active stone blocks with a lever in the first floor.

Wraiths can't gain altitude when they're in an open area, they'll stick close to the ground/surface that they're floating above.

Simply put, just dont put any NPCs on the ground floor, stick them on a higher level. Or better yet, just build your base in the air (also a good strategy for the clowns).

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
The normal server's shard/xp system has been scrapped, so there's no more "leveling up" any more. We're going back to the old way, aka: registered and VIP users.
As of right now, everyone's access who had registered up to this point, is set to registered. I'm still working out details for VIP access.

As for new players: you MUST REGISTER on the server to be able to do anything (build/dig, etc). Type /rules for more info, but just in case:
/register "username" "password"

After you register, you need to login to be able to actually use your privileges:
/login "username" "password"

The shard system is still there, in a sense, but only for buying server items (w/c I still have not setup a store yet, that's a goal for this weekend).

If you start off at default spawn point, you will be on the Tutorial Sky Island. Jumping off the RIGHT SIDE of the island will make you fall into a nice, safe pool of water at the bottom. DO NOT VEER LEFT OR RIGHT WHEN YOU'RE FALLING. Read the bloody signs! :p
From the lake of water, go right to reach the NPC town. Go left to Dragon's Maw for the entrance to a cave, the "hub" section, as well as a hellshaft (back of throat, you cant miss it). Hellshaft has a pool of water at the bottom, so its a safe drop, and there's also a bed you can set your spawn down there too.

Finally, for those that are trying: everything from Dragon's Maw to the foot of the snow biome is a "neutral zone". Build access has been disabled in that whole area. It also extends a bit below ground, but its all mainly the surface up into space.

And finally finally, yet again, for those who keep missing the info:
SERVER IP: neogafterraria.dyndns.org
PORT: 7777 (normal server) -or- 8888 (hard mode server)
THERE IS A PASSWORD! PM me or Retro for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom