• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

vareon

I just destroyed the third orb and got the message "Eater of Worlds has awoken". I immediately teleported home where I've built a platform to fight) but he didn't follow.

I checked and there's no more shadow orbs in the world :( do I have to fight him in another world?

duckroll

I just destroyed the third orb and got the message "Eater of Worlds has awoken". I immediately teleported home where I've built a platform to fight) but he didn't follow.

I checked and there's no more shadow orbs in the world :( do I have to fight him in another world?

No, you can craft worm food, and use it when you're above corruption to summon him. Also, the platform you build has to be over corruption. If you leave corruption he despawns. Unless your "home" is in corruption, it sounds like that was the problem.

vareon

No, you can craft worm food, and use it when you're above corruption to summon him. Also, the platform you build has to be over corruption. If you leave corruption he despawns. Unless your "home" is in corruption, it sounds like that was the problem.

Ah I forgot the worm food, thanks. I seem to remember EoW chasing me to my home from early versions, it seems that has changed.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Not really a Terraria update (I think), but its something we all might find interesting:

Tiy (the guy who did the sprite work for Terraria), recently posted this on Twitter:
arctic-1.png

And before that, his background changed to this:

He tweets the following:
"Who says its not in game? ;)"
"Nope, it's not Terraria."

I have no idea what I'm looking at, but I want it, dammit.

Twinduct

Funny enough, that is what I imagine Terraria 2 would look like.
Agreed though would love some 1.2 news (or at least just an update oh what to expect to come).

balddemon

Banned
Wouldn't 1.2 be the next big patch? And didn't we just have 1.1, which was hugeeeeeeeeeeee! Like December 1st IIRC. So why would we get 1.2 any time soon lol. Although I understand for them to keep the player base interested they need to release updates and shit like bi-weekly or even weekly since players go through the new huge content in a matter of days.

I wouldn't be against them adding quest elements or something. They should also add a money tree because that would be sick as hell. Gotta plant it in Platinum dirt or something haha and it give you like 50 gold per in game day.

Also, HaRyu, what does w/c mean? I thought which considering, but you have used it differently. And it obviously doesn't mean wrong chat.

I also want whatever I'm looking at in those screens

Wouldn't 1.2 be the next big patch? And didn't we just have 1.1, which was hugeeeeeeeeeeee! Like December 1st IIRC. So why would we get 1.2 any time soon lol. Although I understand for them to keep the player base interested they need to release updates and shit like bi-weekly or even weekly since players go through the new huge content in a matter of days.

I'd certainly like some more content. I bought the game with a friend when 1.1 came out, and we blew through it. Now there's not really much for us to do other than mine for materials to make the best weapons and armor. So 1.2 can't come soon enough for us

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Also, HaRyu, what does w/c mean? I thought which considering, but you have used it differently. And it obviously doesn't mean wrong chat.

Oh god... please don't tell me I've been using that stupid abbreviation for years, with no one knowing what the hell I'm typing?

I have always been under the impression that: "w/c" is shorthand for "which".
Don't ask me where I learned that, pretty sure it was college, but all those days are hazy... too much beer.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
In the vein of w/o for without, I thought it was with care, hehe

Just checked with some of my other buddies on chat, and I asked them if they knew what the hell I was typing when I wrote: "w/c". They all said "which". I then asked them if they only knew that because I keep typing it, or they knew that from somewhere, and it looks like they knew it from somewhere, but cant recall where.

Huzzah.

vareon

I see L&R buttons. But the images look too much like a mock-up of something to me.

Edit:
Uh...what happened with the Eater of Worlds? I made a thin platform above the corruption to fight him and it turns out that he can't teach me. So all I do is just latch on the platform and blast him away with the Space Gun. Didn't even take any damage. I don't remember it being this easy pre-1.1.

• Terraria has been translated to German, Italian, French, and Spanish.
  • When first run, Terraria will ask which language to use. This can be changed in the options menu.
  • Terraria now has support for accented letters and multiple keyboard layouts.
  • Fixed a bug that would cause spawn items to sometimes not work on multiplayer games. (Hopefully)
  • Fixed a bug that would allow you to create items using the crafting guide.
  • Fixed several multiplayer security issues.
  • Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause the Eater of Worlds to not spawn after three shadow orbs had been smashed.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-1-1-2.76786/

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
*sigh*

Not surprisingly, new patch borks the server mods, w/c in turn means server doesn't work until Tshock gets updated. So servers are down until further notice.

RotBot

I just got back into Terraria (stopped before the hardmode patch) after a friend bought it. My SWTOR subscription is going to waste.

Kuran

Banned
Not really a Terraria update (I think), but its something we all might find interesting:

Tiy (the guy who did the sprite work for Terraria), recently posted this on Twitter:

And before that, his background changed to this:

He tweets the following:

I have no idea what I'm looking at, but I want it, dammit.

I really love the look of that, but at the same time I want it to be Terraria 2.. (with slightly larger and more detailed sprites)

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
More of the "not-really-Terraria-news-but-some-mystery-game-that-suspiciously-looks-like-a-sequel-to-Terraria" news/tidbits.

Tiy tweeted this:
rxg6d.gif

In server related news... ehh, might just ditch the whole Tshock mod thing and run a stock vanilla server. Haven't really made a decision yet. Opinions welcome.

I'd definitely like some new content now too, but still having a ball with this one regardless. Almost 300 hours now.

One of my friends from the UK has picked it up recently, so I started a new character again and we've been going through on the weekends. Never gets old.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
GRAAAAAAH
I DONT EVEN CARE ANYMORE, WHATEVER THE HELL THIS GAME IS, I NEED IT NOW!

Tiyuri tweets this time:
c1z5i.gif

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Tiyuri confirmed in a tweet afterwards that yes, that's from the new game he's workin on, and no, its not Terraria.

Don't care.
Has mecha.
Want NOW.

Retro

Looks like the next update for Terraria is going to be delayed quite a bit;

@SabbyKato
@Tiyuri So... we going to hear anything about Terraria, instead of this soon?

@Tiyuri
@SabbyKato Redigit and I are on a break from Terraria atm, Redigit's about to have another child :)
(Source)

So... yeah...

Retro

Apologies for the Double Post, but...
Redigit said:
We are pleased to announce that the Terraria Collector's Edition is now available for pre-order on Amazon now for the UK and Germany! The UK version will start shipping March 16th, and the German version will start shipping March 1st.

1YrBA.jpg

(click for larger version)

The Collector's Edition contains:

Physical copy of Terraria
Pickaxe key-chain with the Terraria logo
Terraria poster
Terraria trading cards
Unique in-game pet bunny!

We are still working on getting the Collector's Edition to the US and other countries. Thanks for your patience and we will let you know as soon as a US version is available. (Source)

Pickaxe looks like it's made out of cheap plastic, if it were pewter or something durable I'd probably actually use it.

Not sure I'll pick this up, I already own the game so I'd only be buying it for a pet bunny... and I'm not one of those people who go apeshit over stuff like that. Hopefully Redigit's kid gets born soon and we can get some info on the next patch.

Of course, if people want to get on Harlan's server (which is usually up, you know), avalanch and I have been building stuff lately.

Retro

If I hadn't already played Terraria to death, I would get this.

I would consider picking it up just to show my support. £13.97 is something like $20, and the extras would be a consolation prize to knowing I gave money to a group of developers I really like. It'd be the same as if they put Terraria up on Kickstarter to keep supporting it (which they don't have to do, honestly).

But yeah, the last patch really threw me off; on one hand, I loved the amount of new content. On the other hand, Hardmode kind of detonates the building aspect (literally in some cases) so I am reluctant to do more than create a Harvest world. I suppose there's nothing wrong with that, but I feel like I have to keep my homeworld frozen in time or risk destruction.

I Love Terraria and I still play it once or twice a week (more lately just because I've been in the mood), can't wait to see what's next.

In the same boat, 300 hours in I don't feel I need to buy the game again, even a collectors edition. Nonetheless, it's an awesome bundle for a beginner. Very cool.

Also looking forward to the next patch, really gagging for new content again.

Retro

It sure is my day for double posts, but this was just too amusing to pass up;

Thai police confirm Israeli diplomats were target of Bangkok attacks

NEW DELHI - The Iranians arrested after accidentally setting off an explosives cache in Bangkok were planning to attack Israeli diplomats, Thailand's police chief said yesterday, the first confirmation by local officials that the group was plotting such terror attacks.

The police chief, General Prewpan Dhamapong, said Thai authorities "know for certain" that the target "was Israeli diplomats".

. . .

There was an embarrassing moment for Delhi police when the commissioner BK Gupta informed reporters a day after the attack that he had carried out in-depth research into the sticky bomb used.

A print-out given to journalists said: "Sticky bombs are a type of explosives crafted from one Bomb and 5 Gel. At point-blank range, it can cause a total of 100 damage to mobs and 200 to the player", according to a report in the Times of India.

Unfortunately for the commissioner, his "hours" of research appear to have led him to a website describing the weapons used in computer game Terraria, an online, role-playing game.(Source)

Raxum

Wait, did they just call Terraria an online role-playing game? Wouldn't that make people think of MMOs, rather than what this actually is? XD

Still hilarious that he made that mistake.

Also, I'm rather new here, don't hurt me :p

Been lurking for a while and just got approved, have 177 hours in Terraria so far.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
7NlKF.png

Unlikely, I'm sure, but that would be an interesting turn of events. Gaslamp made Dungeons of Dredmor, any case anyone is unaware.

Retro

Redigit said:
The future of Terraria has been highly debated as of late, not just with the community, but for us as well. The last year has been a crazy ride! When I started on this game, I just had a few ideas of what I thought would make a fun game. I had no idea that it would receive so much attention. I want to thank all of you for supporting us and making this game's success possible.

After a lot of internal debate, we have decided that it is time to move on. My wife and I are due to have another boy soon, and I want to spend some time getting to know him. I also want to spend the time recharging and bettering myself as both a programmer and game designer. I have learned a lot from working on Terraria and plan on using what I've learned, building upon it, and moving forward with another, even better project. However, we are still planning at least one more bug fix for Terraria.

For those that haven't already heard, Finn "Tiy" Brice has moved on to form Chucklefish and is heavily at work on an exciting new game called “Starbound”. It's looking to be a lot of fun, so make sure to check it out if you haven't already!

Thanks again for all your support, and I am very much looking forward to providing you with something much better than Terraria in the future!

(source)

The line about wanting to better himself as a programmer and game designer, along with the constant stream of displeasure from the TShock mods makes me think that Terraria was somewhat of a fluke; a great game concept that the creators simply put together before they were really ready.

Kind of a bad day, really loved the hell out of this game and I hope somebody else picks up development. Seems kind of a shitty time to stop working on it considering they're just now getting around to a retail version.

Can only hope they pass the torch onto Gaslamp.

It's still great in its current form, I'll still be playing it obviously, but it's a shame that the planned updates and add-ons will never be realised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom