• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

No it does not.

Does the room need to be a certain size? It has a table, chair, light source, and walls. But maybe it doesnt have enough room for their banner?

Might need to be a bigger size, if you think it's too small it probably is. It also needs a door or a wooden platform (but not too much, or they won't move in there either).

Might need to be a bigger size, if you think it's too small it probably is. It also needs a door or a wooden platform (but not too much, or they won't move in there either).

But it says the housing is valid. I'll try making the room a bit bigger though.

They have doors, but no wooden platforms. Maybe that's the problem. I'll try fixing it.

Retro

But it says the housing is valid. I'll try making the room a bit bigger though.

They have doors, but no wooden platforms. Maybe that's the problem. I'll try fixing it.

Doors should be fine.

Maybe move away a bit and give them a day to move in? Or actually, log out and back in. See if they show up then.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What is the best way to keep NPCs from opening the doors at night? I read about making double doors but zombies still got into my house.

Gregorn

I can't seem to make a server no matter what I try. I've opened ports, I've tried Hamachi and using that manual file doesn't work either.

l0FE5.jpg

Does this mean anything to anyone? I've let it through on my firewall.

Retro

What is the best way to keep NPCs from opening the doors at night? I read about making double doors but zombies still got into my house.

Put them in rooms with interior-only doors, above or below ground level. You might also put them in rooms where the only access is a wooden platform; they won't drop through those.

I tend to put my NPCs in towers for that exact reason.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

The old tried and true methods are double doors, or just putting something in front of a door, however, I have a more creative method.

Use the switches and active/inactive stone blocks.

I just put trapdoors outside the doors, and a deep pit, preferably with a small pool of lava at the bottom. Just leave the trapdoors open when you want to protect the building. Put a switch somewhere outside the building that you can conveniently reach, along w/ a switch inside, to trigger the trapdoor.

I think you can also just use the "put something in front of door method", but just make the "something" an active/inactive block attached to a switch. I've never tried, and I only just thought of that. I just prefer trapdoor lava pits.

Never had an NPC open a door at night.

Ok. This problem is getting annoying. WHY WONT THE NPCS MOVE? I'm posting a picture now.

Problem.jpg

The housing is suitable. I have everything I need in there. The room is large enough. Why wont anybody move into it?

Ok. This problem is getting annoying. WHY WONT THE NPCS MOVE? I'm posting a picture now.

Problem.jpg

The housing is suitable. I have everything I need in there. The room is large enough. Why wont anybody move into it?

That might be recognized as only 1 building with the wooden platforms. Try using regular wood beneath the middle door like this:

HouseWithPlatforms.png

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Problem.jpg

I think its because you don't have any blocks on the 2nd floor that the NPC can stand on at night.

From the wiki:
The NPC needs at least one solid (non-platform) block to stand on at night.

Retro

As others have said, you need actual floors in your house. As to the false positive, it's probably checking the whole house because Wooden Platforms don't constitute floors. That's why it says the room is valid; it's checking the whole structure.

As others have said, you need actual floors in your house. As to the false positive, it's probably checking the whole house because Wooden Platforms don't constitute floors. That's why it says the room is valid; it's checking the whole structure.

But someone is already living in the bottom floor. If it is checking the whole structure why isn't it saying the place is already occupied?

Retro

But someone is already living in the bottom floor. If it is checking the whole structure why isn't it saying the place is already occupied?

I don't think it gives you an "already occupied" message. I've never tried it. Terraria is kind of a learning project that shouldn't have been released so early, so I can forgive it some of the issues.

Either way, any luck putting in real floors?

Also, I think I'm gonna get on for a bit, if anyone is getting on.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Just bought this game yesterday and have been having a blast, but my huge question right now is: is there any way to stop the NPCs from being idiots and deciding to go for a stroll outside in the middle of the night and letting zombies into the house?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
God damn it takes forever to find stuff in this game even in a small world.

Still haven't fought a single boss yet, and can't find anything but copper. Trying to get a few more NPCs in my world but haven't had any luck outside of the starting guy and the merchant. I read that the Demolitions guy is supposed to come after you find an explosive, but he still hasn't popped up for me yet.

</entitledgamerwhinypost>

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
God damn it takes forever to find stuff in this game even in a small world.

Still haven't fought a single boss yet, and can't find anything but copper. Trying to get a few more NPCs in my world but haven't had any luck outside of the starting guy and the merchant. I read that the Demolitions guy is supposed to come after you find an explosive, but he still hasn't popped up for me yet.

</entitledgamerwhinypost>

You tried digging further down? All the good stuff is deeper, if all you're finding is copper.

And just in case you didnt know, the other NPCs wont show up if you don't have the rooms all setup for them beforehand.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm so tempted to make a Galaxy class starship as close to scale as I can in this game. Forty two decks would probably be incredibly tedious though, especially trying to farm all the materials for whatever I use to make the walls, probably grey bricks.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I dont know how to do this.

Uhm... email it to me then? Just attach it to a message.

harlan.ryudo at gmail.com

Obviously, take out the spaces and change the at to the appropriate symbol.

In case you're trying to find the map file, check My Documents/My Games/Terraria/Worlds

The file should be in that folder.

Uhm... email it to me then? Just attach it to a message.

harlan.ryudo at gmail.com

Obviously, take out the spaces and change the at to the appropriate symbol.

In case you're trying to find the map file, check My Documents/My Games/Terraria/Worlds

The file should be in that folder.

I'll do this later tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

I've also been on the GAF server. Very fun.

edit: Tried it just for fun. FINALLY IT WORKED.

edit: Just built a storage house way bigger than I needed. Should fit a ton of treasure chests. Wish it was a bit closer to my house. I'll probably just move my house.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Silly me.

The plan for the server was for me to just leave it up for the weekend during the sale.
I realized as I woke up this morning, that the Steam sale is going to go on till the 22nd.

So, I guess I'll leave it up till the 22nd then. :p

If you havent stopped by yet, feel free to do so.

Retro

If you head right from spawn on the server, I have Glowstick and Gel generators and a trash can full of goodies that are first-come first-serve. I also went ahead and created a pathway through the Corruption and a few bridges to get around.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
heh, tried that one Mine or whatever, in the house with the gel and glowstick generators. Didn't realize terreria was that deep. Fell forever....into a pool with a piranha in it, died. :/

Taffer

heh, tried that one Mine or whatever, in the house with the gel and glowstick generators. Didn't realize terreria was that deep. Fell forever....into a pool with a piranha in it, died. :/

Those bottom-of-the-dropshaft mobs are racking up the frags.

Yeah that leads to Hell. Sometimes enemies get into the pool, screwing up the soft fall into the water.

Retro

Yeah... sometimes enemies spawn in there, but trust me... it's risk having an enemy show up, or splatter for an insane amount of fall damage. Once you get a cloud in a bottle or Lucky Horseshoe you should be fine. Just prepare to use it when you see the torches getting sequentially closer together.

It seriously blew my mind how far down that hole goes. Think there's 1 minute of fall time.

And that's only to the ENTRY of hell. Hell level itself is another 100-200 feet, maybe? A lot of it is lava though.

Yeah it is a long fall. There's a sign right outside of it that says it leads to Hell. Better hope you have a magic mirror.

Yep. There's a bed down there for people who want to respawn in hell quickly, but that means you're stuck down there unless you destroy the bed first.

Retro

How did you even make those generators? You take statues and somehow hook them up to some wire and electricity makes those enemies spawn?

Yep. Two statues (gotta find em), wired to a switch (buy both from Mechanic) and a 1 second timer (Gold Watch + Iron + wire). Fill the chamber with a small amount of lava. When you throw the switch, the timer spawns them every second and they instantly die in the lava.

Pretty sure you could do the same with for a hook generator (pointless though). Can't do it with heart/star statues though, they have a built in cooldown... I've heard you can rig a bunch of them up together for constant health, but I've never found that many heart statues to try it.

Found a Demon Scythe spellbook in Hell. Such fun to fling around.

edit: Can anyone help me find shadow scales? I need them to craft a pickaxe out of my demonite.

edit: Can anyone help me find shadow scales? I need them to craft a pickaxe out of my demonite.

You have to kill a boss to get shadow scales. I'm not sure how you're supposed to figure this out or how to spawn said boss without using the wiki.

Retro

They drop from the Eater of Worlds, which is a boss that's summoned after you smash 3 Shadow Orbs. Alternately, you can summon him with "Worm Food", which is produced by combining 30 Vile Powder (made from Vile Mushrooms at any alchemy station) and Rotten Chunks (which drop from most corruption mobs). Worm Food has to be made at a Demon Altar though.

We can summon him on HaRyu's server if you want. I made a nice path over all the corruption so the fight won't be too hard.

hugemistake.jpg

Nonsense. You have an air pocket. Wall off the space you're in, dig out part of the floor to drain it, dig a tunnel downwards and out.

You have to kill a boss to get shadow scales. I'm not sure how you're supposed to figure this out or how to spawn said boss without using the wiki.

Shadow Orbs are pretty obvious, considering they glow. You just have to head towards corruption.

Yes, the wiki makes it easier and it's not exactly obvious, but if you've hit a wall, you should start exploring. That inevitably leads down into the Corrupt chasms.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh I built a brand new house for storage and some NPCs and it said it is corrupted. I didn't realize I couldn't build near the corruption.

Shadow Orbs are pretty obvious, considering they glow. You just have to head towards corruption.

Yes, the wiki makes it easier and it's not exactly obvious, but if you've hit a wall, you should start exploring. That inevitably leads down into the Corrupt chasms.

Shadow orbs are visibly obvious, but (in my world at least) they are almost all encased in ebonstone. There was only a single one that wasn't, and you have to smash 3 to spawn him. So you can't mine ebonstone without the nightmare pickaxe, so you'd have to go out of your way to use purifying powder to turn in back into stone and mine down to it. But you probably wouldn't figure that out before first looking up how to get the shadow scales on the internet.

Retro

Shadow orbs are visibly obvious, but (in my world at least) they are almost all encased in ebonstone. There was only a single one that wasn't, and you have to smash 3 to spawn him. So you can't mine ebonstone without the nightmare pickaxe, so you'd have to go out of your way to use purifying powder to turn in back into stone and mine down to it. But you probably wouldn't figure that out before first looking up how to get the shadow scales on the internet.

Yeah. I'm not saying the process is flawless, especially since it feels like it was designed on the fly by a guy still learning how to make games. But the game does have all the pieces there if you look hard enough.

Retro is officially the greatest.

Also the Vilethorn is amazing. Cuts through mobs like butter.

Yep, it's very useful for defending against goblin invasions and such when you need to wall off your buildings.

Glad we could get you up to Molten tools. I think dungeon and jungle will be the next steps for you, then maybe next week we'll be on hardmode... which is... yeah.

Yeah. I'm not saying the process is flawless, especially since it feels like it was designed on the fly by a guy still learning how to make games. But the game does have all the pieces there if you look hard enough.

Yep, it's very useful for defending against goblin invasions and such when you need to wall off your buildings.

Glad we could get you up to Molten tools. I think dungeon and jungle will be the next steps for you, then maybe next week we'll be on hardmode... which is... yeah.

I can't wait for Jungle so I can get my mage armor. I'm gonna spend awhile exploring looking for spell books. I only have Superior Water Bolt and Deathscythe.

Retro

I can't wait for Jungle so I can get my mage armor. I'm gonna spend awhile exploring looking for spell books. I only have Superior Water Bolt and Deathscythe.

Spoiler Tagging where they drop in case you don't want to be spoiled.

Normal Mode:
Aqua Scepter
(Dungeon)
Flamelash
(Shadow chests, usually in Hell)
Flower of Fire
(Shadow chests, usually in Hell)
Magic Missile
(Dungeon)
Starfury
(Floating Islands)
Water Bolt
(Book in Dungeon)
Spacegun
(Crafted)
Vilethorn
(Shadow Orb)
Demon Scythe
(Drops from Demons in Hell)

Hardmode:
Cursed Flames
(Crafted from mob drops)
Magic Dagger
(Dropped by a very nasty mob, the mimic)
Laser Rifle
(Drops from Wall of Flesh)
Magical Harp
(Crafted from mob and a Boss drop)
Rainbow Rod
(Crafted, I was using this on the server earlier, btw)
Ice Rod
(Sold by an NPC)
Crystal Storm
(Crafted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom