• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I'm noticing a trend that no one seems to be on the server between Midnight to 8am, so I'm going to shut the server down during those times, starting tonight.

Take note I pretty much did the same exact thing when I had the server up before. Exceptions to this rule are that if someone is still on the server by the time I go to bed, then I'll leave the server on through the night.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So I started digging for a while and eventually reached lava. I've got a golden pickaxe, iron weapons, and I'm working on a full suit of Iron Armor. My best weapon is some crazy ass boomerang that does about 10 damage per hit. I've got ~220 health I think at this point and I've got 5 NPCs (Nurse, Demo, Merchant, Guide, Dryad).

Killed the Eye boss, and now I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm not exactly sure what comes next. Should I just keep digging and try to get better armor/tools?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Server is back up, and copy/pasting the earlier post so people dont go through the trouble of looking for it.

---

1. DONT give out the IP and/or password to non-GAF UNLESS you ask my permission first.
2. If you are non-GAF and you're just reading this post, YOU WILL NOT GET ON THE SERVER. Sorry non-GAF, due to the derp derp derpiness of one non-GAF, I won't deal with this kind of crap anymore. However, if you're non-GAF, you shouldnt be able to see the server info anyway.
2. DONT activate HARDMODE (get my permission first)
3. DONT mess up any local areas around someone's building projects.
4. DONT drain the oceans.
5. This server will be more or less up the entire weekend (until Monday morning EST). So that means it'll probably even run while I sleep.
6. I'm not flat out banning explosives, but I ask that explosives NOT be used near buildings, NOR be used topside. Also, indiscriminately just throwing bombs around with no purpose is also a no-no.
7. Report all asshats to me if anyone breaks the above rules.

This is a fresh, untouched, large world, in case anyone was wondering.
And now, the server info, quote post to see it.

I'm noticing a trend that no one seems to be on the server between Midnight to 8am, so I'm going to shut the server down during those times, starting tonight.

Take note I pretty much did the same exact thing when I had the server up before. Exceptions to this rule are that if someone is still on the server by the time I go to bed, then I'll leave the server on through the night.

Does the midnight to 8am thing apply to weekends?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Does the midnight to 8am thing apply to weekends?

Hmm, good question. Probably not? The reason for me turning off the computer is that the box is a bit noisy, and if I'm trying to sleep, I get annoyed by the fan noise, so unable to fall asleep. That plus I like giving my computer a rest.

On the weekends, sleep isnt that important, so I can probably leave it on during those times.

Oh, and I did say this was just for the duration of the Steam sale, but if enough people continue to use the server (ie, more than just Retro using it), I can keep it running indefinitely. That, or at the very least, until Starbound is released. ^O^

Note: And I re-edited the above post, took the rules out of the quote box, because I didnt realize if you tried quoting the message, it wouldnt show what was in the box. Sorry about that.

So I started digging for a while and eventually reached lava. I've got a golden pickaxe, iron weapons, and I'm working on a full suit of Iron Armor. My best weapon is some crazy ass boomerang that does about 10 damage per hit. I've got ~220 health I think at this point and I've got 5 NPCs (Nurse, Demo, Merchant, Guide, Dryad).

Killed the Eye boss, and now I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm not exactly sure what comes next. Should I just keep digging and try to get better armor/tools?

Your armor is still not very good. You can try to fight Eater of Worlds to work towards Shadow Armor but you might not be strong enough. I would continue to dig around (not down necessarily) and find silver/gold for armor. Use a spelunker potion
(bottled water, blinkroot, moonglow, gold ore)
to help.

Taffer

Your armor is still not very good. You can try to fight Eater of Worlds to work towards Shadow Armor but you might not be strong enough. I would continue to dig around (not down necessarily) and find silver/gold for armor. Use a spelunker potion
(bottled water, blinkroot, moonglow, gold ore)
to help.

I was going to suggest that; you won't need to go deeper for ores to become quite common and you don't want to break into Hell yet, expand your mine horizontally.

Also, which time zone are you in Harlan?

mclaren777

This is how I play Terraia...

i0VWx2j7fI82P.png

mclaren777

I really hope you're joking.

Nope. I look for loot with Terrafirma, then go after it in the game. When I get back to the Merchant, I look through the Wiki to see if there's anything worth keeping.

It's basically Miner Dig Deep (my favorite Xbox 360 game) except it has combat.

Edit: I'm 14 hours in and I haven't even see the Jungle or Corruption yet because I spend all of my time mining.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So I dug a hole straight down (with some minor detours for things like going after ore lodes and draining off water or lava) to the Underworld. The enemies down there are just kicking my ass. I have all iron gear. Is this just to be expected?

Vlad

So I dug a hole straight down (with some minor detours for things like going after ore lodes and draining off water or lava) to the Underworld. The enemies down there are just kicking my ass. I have all iron gear. Is this just to be expected?

Is the underworld the place with the lava veins in the background? If so, then yeah, you're WAY underpowered for that. There's at least 4-5 tiers of gear between Iron and the kind of stuff you can get in the bottom of the world.

DarthWoo

I also am trying to build a bridge of wooden platforms across the entirety of the map's sky (I think I'm only halfway up though) to see if I can find any floating islands, but the harpies do a number on me as well. Luckily, I have a grappling hook, and though it's cheap, if I accidentally fall off my bridge, I can grapple the ground just before I impact and I'm safe.

Edit: I guess the best thing I can do for now is to just keep digging sideways in the regular underground and hopefully harvest more higher quality minerals for better equipment? I was really hoping to dig that hole all the way to the bottom.

Edit: I guess the best thing I can do for now is to just keep digging sideways in the regular underground and hopefully harvest more higher quality minerals for better equipment? I was really hoping to dig that hole all the way to the bottom.

If you're gonna dig, dig to the heavens. No matter what's in your way just don't stop.

But yeah, dig down until you can no longer handle the enemies. If you find yourself unable to handle the new enemies, head back up, and work sideways.

Retro

I just have three floating islands with chests that appear locked. Am I missing something?

Gold Chests that are locked need a Golden Key, found in the dungeons. It's consumed when used.

Shadow Chests that are locked need a Shadow Key, also found in the dungeon. However, once you have a shadow key, you can unlock all of the chests without needing to find another.

DarthWoo

I read that in order to enter the dungeon you have to
defeat Skeletron, otherwise he'll send OHKO mobs after you.
However, I find that I can mine the dungeon bricks, despite also having read that I shouldn't be able to without at least a 5th tier pickaxe. What happens if I just dig under the dungeon and enter halfway down?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
However, I find that I can mine the dungeon bricks, despite also having read that I shouldn't be able to without at least a 5th tier pickaxe. What happens if I just dig under the dungeon and enter halfway down?

If you don't defeat him, as long as you're actually in the dungeon (regardless of how/where you entered), those mobs will be sent after you.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
What should I try to do/work towards after I have full golden armor/weapons?

We already killed Skeletron on the GAF server. Speaking of which, when can we activate hardmode? I'm itching to play around in hardmode with GAF.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
We already killed Skeletron on the GAF server. Speaking of which, when can we activate hardmode? I'm itching to play around in hardmode with GAF.

Mmmm... maybe this weekend? I'm sure a lot of people would like to have a crack at Woffy.

Bear in mind, that Woffy is pretty much a one-time thing for a server, that's why I make such a big deal about holding off on it. Also, Woffy always drops a special item, so there is the matter of who actually gets it. Maybe I'll hold a drawing for it, based on the number of people who will actually participate in the fight.

Then there's also the issue of the extreme terrain change that kicks in... but we'll worry about that when we get to it. :p

If anyone wants to participate in the Woffy battle, let me know, so I can work out a time you all can have a go. Also, if you want be nice and exclude yourself from the Woffy item drawing, let me know that too.

Retro

Bear in mind, that Woffy is pretty much a one-time thing for a server, that's why I make such a big deal about holding off on it. Also, Woffy always drops a special item, so there is the matter of who actually gets it. Maybe I'll hold a drawing for it, based on the number of people who will actually participate in the fight.

If anyone wants to participate in the Woffy battle, let me know, so I can work out a time you all can have a go.

You can re-summon Wall of Flesh after Hardmode, can't you?

Guild Wars 2 Beta is this weekend, so I probably will be plugged into that. Probably better I don't show as my character would kill him too quick and where's the fun in that?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
You can re-summon Wall of Flesh after Hardmode, can't you?

Guild Wars 2 Beta is this weekend, so I probably will be plugged into that. Probably better I don't show as my character would kill him too quick and where's the fun in that?

I'm not sure? I thought Skeletron and Woffy were the two bosses you can only summon once. Maybe I got it confused. Too lazy to check the wiki. :p

IceMarker

I'm not sure? I thought Skeletron and Woffy were the two bosses you can only summon once. Maybe I got it confused. Too lazy to check the wiki. :p
Easy Mode Skeletron can only be summoned once per world. WoF can be summoned again and again as long as a Guide is alive and you toss his doll in the lava.

This is the world I'm doing my first run in. What are the odd building-like things in the Underworld?
Just Underworld Houses... they don't server a purpose really other than decoration. They have Hellforges in them though, break one off and take it back to your house - you forge all the Hell Weapons/Armor with those.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
When is the Gaf server going Hardmode?

I did say this weekend (and its nearly over).

Well, I'll allow it. If someone wants to advance it to hardmode, go ahead. If you've never played on a hardmode-activated world before, you have been warned, because there's no turning back (short of restarting server from scratch).

Just Underworld Houses... they don't server a purpose really other than decoration. They have Hellforges in them though, break one off and take it back to your house - you forge all the Hell Weapons/Armor with those.

You actually can mine safely from the houses, and drain lava into them for further mining.

DarthWoo

What are those LikeLike looking things randomly scattered in the background throughout the world? They're dark and they look like they're emitting some dark particles, although there's no corruption around them. When I hit them with a hammer they deal me nearly half my health in damage.

What are those LikeLike looking things randomly scattered in the background throughout the world? They're dark and they look like they're emitting some dark particles, although there's no corruption around them. When I hit them with a hammer they deal me nearly half my health in damage.

Demon Altars.

http://terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Demon_Altar

They are crafting locations. Alternatively, you need a special tool to destroy them - and only in Hardmode.

DarthWoo

Neat. Is it a viable thing to use them to keep crafting suspicious eyes to spawn Eyes of Cthulhu for demonite ore so I can craft tons of demon weapons? I have some demonite bars, but their ore is so rare in the world. The first Eye I defeated dropped around 60 ore, so hopefully they all do that.

Neat. Is it a viable thing to use them to keep crafting suspicious eyes to spawn Eyes of Cthulhu for demonite ore so I can craft tons of demon weapons? I have some demonite bars, but their ore is so rare in the world. The first Eye I defeated dropped around 60 ore, so hopefully they all do that.

Yeah, quickest way of getting Demonite (EDIT: Or Eater of Worlds).

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Server will be down most of the day today. As usual, I'm not going to be home, but storms are picking up, and I'd rather not have the computer on when there's lightning flying about.

Another story if I'm home, since I have the deluded belief that my presence prevents my computer from assploding during an electrical storm. But alas, since I am not home, computer shall remain off today.

DarthWoo

Finally starting to get some good stuff. Went all the way down my hellevator for the first time in a while and killed a few things down there, getting the Demon Scythe weapon fairly early, which is stronger than anything else I have. Made my way over to my world's Corruption and blew some holes in it (can't pickaxe it yet) and broke two shadow orbs, getting a Vilethorn in the second one.
Goblin Army
was a bit of a pain since I guess my house wasn't as well-prepared for it as I'd have liked, plus tons of them could just teleport right inside and launch magic at me from every direction. Now I guess I'll try fighting some more difficult bosses.

DarthWoo

Is anyone familiar with making infinite obsidian generators? I know how they are supposed to work and could just build one of the existing designs, but I wanted to make something specific as an experiment for a project I want to build later, but it doesn't seem to be working properly.

In theory, I was supposed to have another brick in the very center of the middle piece, and once I knocked that out the water and lava would meet and create an obsidian block, which I could then just perpetually mine. However, for some reason the lava isn't being generated in perpetuity in the same manner as the water, so the block keeps moving further and further down into the lava chamber.

DarthWoo

Guess nobody plays much of this anymore? Guess I figured out why my generator wouldn't work, but unfortunately the reason for it means I can't make a vertically stacked one like that. Just out of curiosity, since I knew that trying to drain the ocean into the Underworld would just cause all that water to evaporate, I tried building an infinite water generator directly in the Underworld, but sadly all the water evaporated out of it before it could proliferate.

DarthWoo

Yeah obsidian generator needs to have blocks that split the liquids into two.
It also helps having a small space at a splitting point to hold a puddle of liquid in case all the water and lava run out.

Here is mine:

I actually was making use of the infinite generator design. I'd found one that all fit within a 19x14 space, not counting space underneath from which to mine the obsidian, but I was trying to make one that looked like a warp core. With the infinite one you don't need to pour more into the top like it looks like you're doing, but just turn on the pumps and let it keep infinitely generating more water and lava while you keep swinging the pickaxe. I did find that occasionally the location of the block drifts over one space, but it eventually goes back. At worst, the water and lava levels sometimes drop so they don't touch, but then you just sit a few seconds.

DarthWoo

I haven't been playing as much Terraria lately, but I figure I might start hardmode in my world soon. Would it be feasible to build a chamber with walls of dart traps facing inward on staggered timers to use against the hardmode bosses?

Taffer

I haven't been playing as much Terraria lately, but I figure I might start hardmode in my world soon. Would it be feasible to build a chamber with walls of dart traps facing inward on staggered timers to use against the hardmode bosses?

I'm not sure that the Hardmode bosses can be poisoned and their defence is crazy high, possibly high enough that darts do no more than chip them. They're leagues ahead of the normal bosses, you really need Hardmode gear to stand a chance against them.
I always feel really clever when I build a cunning dart trap to farm blood moon mobs or whatever until I forget about it and gib myself - bear in mind if you have waves of darts flying about you'll have to dodge them as well as the boss's attacks.

Retro

From the Terraria Facebook page:
Something is bubbling in the Terraria pot...

And one of the admins at Terraria online:
Okay, To help prevent drama from spreading I will just confirm something is going to happen no matter what. I can't give you an ETA but something is happening and will happen :)

Now Be nice and come up with conspiracy theories and not calling it a fake :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom