• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terraria |OT2| The Hallowed Land Of Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit.

It's coming to PSN/XBLA with new content.

Wasn't expecting PSN at all, figured it would be XBLA if anything.

523357_399999856732587_315921494_n.jpg

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, that came completely out of left field. I applaud the effort, more people should play this game.

I wonder how the whole "run your own server thing" works with consoles.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
You can easily host your own server in various PS3 games (eg, Warhawk).

Actually, I know about that (since I have a PS3 and Warhawk), was thinking more along the lines of the X360 side.

Does the X360 have any games where you could host a server?

Actually, I know about that (since I have a PS3 and Warhawk), was thinking more along the lines of the X360 side.

Does the X360 have any games where you could host a server?

I think Rainbow Six: Vegas did but it's been ages since I've been around that game.

RotBot

You can easily host your own server in various PS3 games (eg, Warhawk).

Can you name any game other than Warhawk that let you host dedicated servers? Section 8 is the only other one I know of. Terraria will probably use the 360 Minecraft model of people can join your personal world when you're online.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Finally got around to trying the Wall of Flesh, but got massacred, particularly because I kept getting knocked into lava. :(

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to trying the Wall of Flesh, but got massacred, particularly because I kept getting knocked into lava. :(

Build one long ass bridge with no gaps. Start at one end, chuck the doll, then just run and gun as you back away from Woffie.

DarthWoo

Build one long ass bridge with no gaps. Start at one end, chuck the doll, then just run and gun as you back away from Woffie.

I read somewhere that this tactic works well if you use dungeon bricks and check explosives at it the whole way. Are the dungeon bricks from around the entrance of the dungeon that you can mine with a low tier pickaxe as impervious to explosives as the ones for which you need at least the Nightmare Pickaxe? They seem to be the same item.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I read somewhere that this tactic works well if you use dungeon bricks and check explosives at it the whole way. Are the dungeon bricks from around the entrance of the dungeon that you can mine with a low tier pickaxe as impervious to explosives as the ones for which you need at least the Nightmare Pickaxe? They seem to be the same item.

That doesnt sound right. You should only be able to mine Dungeon Blocks w/ a Nightmare Pickaxe or higher, and they are also immune to explosions. The blocks located topside/entrance of the dungeon, and those in the actual dungeon itself, are all the same type, there shouldnt be "weaker" Dungeon Blocks.

Using Dungeon Blocks to build the bridge, and chucking explosives at it is a plan, but that's time consuming (you have to dig up a LOT of those blocks, and lay em down), dangerous (you have to go into the Dungeon for extended periods), and expensive (you're gonna need a lot of Dynamite to kill Woffie).

DarthWoo

Don't know if it's because my character is in easy mode, but I was able to mine dungeon bricks from around the entrance back when I only had a gold pickaxe. I was hollowing out the thing all around the poor old guy. I did get stopped when I was making a subway a few hundred feet below ground level though.

Mandoric

Banned
Don't know if it's because my character is in easy mode, but I was able to mine dungeon bricks from around the entrance back when I only had a gold pickaxe. I was hollowing out the thing all around the poor old guy. I did get stopped when I was making a subway a few hundred feet below ground level though.

Didn't need a good pick until 1.04.

Explosives are honestly almost worse, part of the thing with a hail of gunfire is that it also kills his minions. Just build a good, long, HIGH solid platform (the better to trap demons and bats under) and open up on him with a Phoenix Blaster and a lot of clicking.

DarthWoo

Got a Godly Demon Scythe while in the process of building my Underworld bridge, so I think that might be good to use too. :)

Retro

The Trailer for the console version was just posted on facebook;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=408309332568306

Only new thing I saw was an Orca. The "Did we mention new content?" tease at the end doesn't appear to allude to anything.

Frankly, the game looks unplayable with mouse control being shoehorned to an analog stick. Definitely won't be picking it up, this is a PC-kinda game and it sucks the new content won't ever show up there.

Oh well, Starbound looks to be a huge leap forward anyways.

IceMarker

Uh-oh for the PC version getting the new content. :(

OPcPD.png

Andrew Spinks get off your ass and authorize these guys to help out with the main version!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't surprise me. I would have been surprised had they actually gotten the new content onto the pc version alongside the console release. I would have thought that the new content was there to try and entice a lot of previous owners into buying the console version. Doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense having that on pc as well if you're trying to sell copies.

Bought this on the sales and this game is so... zen for what I have played, I like it. Tried to make a valid housing for like an hour, feel so stupid lol. Finally made me a good stone house and the other NPC made it his house immediately :lol:

How does multiplayer work?

Retro

Not very well, unfortunately. We used to have a GAF server, but people lost interest so there wasn't much point. My wife and I tried to connect over our own network but it didn't want to recognize either of our computers as a server.

It is not well done, which is a shame because the game is much more fun with people to play with. Maybe HaRyu (who ran the server) might have some suggestions.

Huh, I'm having slowdown issues on my new PC. Any idea how to fix?

Sorry, no idea, and the developer isn't supporting the game anymore. Anyone else?

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Bought this on the sales and this game is so... zen for what I have played, I like it. Tried to make a valid housing for like an hour, feel so stupid lol. Finally made me a good stone house and the other NPC made it his house immediately :lol:

Not very well, unfortunately. We used to have a GAF server, but people lost interest so there wasn't much point. My wife and I tried to connect over our own network but it didn't want to recognize either of our computers as a server.

It is not well done, which is a shame because the game is much more fun with people to play with. Maybe HaRyu (who ran the server) might have some suggestions.

Involves some dicking around w/ port forwarding, knowing your true IP address, and hoping your ISP aren't asshats when it comes to blocking ports.

If I have trouble with getting multiplayer for a game working, I tend to go to this site to see if someone put step-by-step directions for it. http://portforward.com/

Be warned, I've been told people accidentally get to a part where it says you have to pay for something. This is misleading, the guides are free, the actual navigation to get there can be a bit confusing though.

If we know in advance the date of when Starbound actually comes out, I might hold a Terraria Doomsday party, where I'll put up the 2nd Terraria map we used (the one w/ all the OCD structures, aka, the fun map). We can play around in that while we wait for the game to release.

Doomsday, because once Starbound comes out, I doubt any of us will go back to Terraria. :p

Huh, I'm having slowdown issues on my new PC. Any idea how to fix?

Aw man, I'm not in front of my computer w/ Terraria right now, but I'm pretty sure you have to turn off a setting in Settings. Maybe its VSync? But I think they turned that off by default in a previous update. You might want to check your settings just in case.

Retro

An "End of Terraria" party would be awesome, and it would be a good way to get to know who's who again. I wouldn't mind that at all, and it would be a good to see the crazy stuff I forgot I built.

A sort of "last call" would be awesome. Still have fond memories of building the underground tunnel system (and all its variants) as well summoning King Slime.

Mandoric

Banned
Aw man, I'm not in front of my computer w/ Terraria right now, but I'm pretty sure you have to turn off a setting in Settings. Maybe its VSync? But I think they turned that off by default in a previous update. You might want to check your settings just in case.

Tried playing with vsync off, it makes it better in some places but worse in others.

Purkake4

Banned
Hey, sorry for the bump. Can anyone give me the skinny on the PC version, is it going to be updated or what's the status?

Thanks.

Retro

Hey, sorry for the bump. Can anyone give me the skinny on the PC version, is it going to be updated or what's the status?

Thanks.

PC version will not receive further updates; the lead programmer of Terraria (Redigit) called it quits after the birth of his son. There have also been a few posts of his that suggest he was not happy with continued development (it has been suggested that, this being his first game and such a runaway success, that he was in over his head and bailed out).

An outside company (505 games) is porting it to the PS3 and 360, and adding new content. This content is not expected to make it in the PC version as 505 is just focusing on the console version.

The lead artist of Terraria, Tiy, has formed his own company called Chucklefish, who are working on a game similar to Terraria called Starbound. The thread for it is here; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463588

Purkake4

Banned
PC version will not receive further updates; the lead programmer of Terraria (Redigit) called it quits after the birth of his son. There have also been a few posts of his that suggest he was not happy with continued development (it has been suggested that, this being his first game and such a runaway success, that he was in over his head and bailed out).

An outside company (505 games) is porting it to the PS3 and 360, and adding new content. This content is not expected to make it in the PC version as 505 is just focusing on the console version.

The lead artist of Terraria, Tiy, has formed his own company called Chucklefish, who are working on a game similar to Terraria called Starbound. The thread for it is here; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463588
Thanks. Keeping an eye on Starbound.

What's the word on this new content? Is it worth it or should I just get the PC version and stick with that?

Retro

Thanks. Keeping an eye on Starbound.

What's the word on this new content? Is it worth it or should I just get the PC version and stick with that?

The only thing we've seen from 505 is an Orca, which appeared to just be a reskin of the shark. They're pretty tight-lipped about it.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Spent 8.2 hours today doing some home improvements to my main base. My entire body feels weak.

Retro

Very nice, I always forget how much impact the colored torches have. I've only ever really used them in one building project (A spooky mansion on the GAFserver, which I had HaRyu send me a copy of so I could convert it to my town's library;

TB6d2.gif

Looks good, I kind of wish I had spent more time building a singular fortress than going from the basic base that I put together when I was still learning the game to the big town. I really enjoyed sort of just adding on continually to the sky fortress I had on the... third?... GAF Server...

Hey HaRyu, when we do the apocalypse server, can I get a copy of that on there? I haven't seen it in a while.

Pics of yours please
Here's the overall town view, I can grab close-ups if any specific buildings if you want to see them. I haven't added much to it lately;

Um holy crap! i've been totally out of the loop and didn't realize they announced this for consoles months ago.

In any event, I came back to this thread because i've been pulled back into the game again.

Also, Wow Retro! your house civilization is incredible.

Retro

Seriously some crazy and nice designs in here, especially the one above this post. Awesome job!

Thanks. I'm looking forward to Starbound because we'll not only have lots of bricks, but also more futuristic materials to build with, along with all of the various racial bookshelves, tables, lights, etc. And proper brick placement instead of that slightly-off method Terraria uses.

I'm expecting my time investment in Starbound is going to be Terraria x 5.

I should be able to manage that, just remind me when I do go about starting up the doomsday server.

Can do. I should just get a copy of it into my current homeworld while you're digging around in there. Not like I can't find room for a floating island.

Also, Wow Retro! your house civilization is incredible.

Thanks. I cracked open TEdit just to look at the map quickly, and I forgot that I had added some stuff that's not on that map; a Hellevator, a small graveyard, a lighthouse, a mountain-top research station (again, having more futuristic stuff would have made this look much better)... couple little things I copied from other peoples' maps that I liked (A boat, a little cabin).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom