• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror attack kills 12 at Paris newspaper - 4 wounded, gunmen identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

Germany doesn't have freedom of speech? Why did they allow all those PEGIDA marches then?

Denying the holocaust is a thought crime. They can and do ban entire political parties. These things are fundamentally incompatible with the notion of free speech. Nonetheless, I agree with her. Freedom of speech and freedom of the press are important. I hope she initiates reforms in Germany in order to achieve those principles.

Here in Canada, as of 2012. 2 countries in our top 10 immigration list are places that have high amounts of these scums.

4th place : Pakistan
7th place : Iran

People bitch and moan here against those people, yet we have our doors open to them all wide open. That top 10 is calculated to be 56% of the entire immigration. The rest of our 44% is from other countries and i imagine that many more of them idiots get in from there.

Where I live we have 1 church, and 12 mosques... eventually we will get overrun by these Muslim, Islamic, Radical people.

Why people hate these groups is simple, they follow a religion that treats woman like shit and have fuck up views and ways.

And stop fucking eating shawarmas lol, i betcha some of those are put in place to make money and send that cash back to the terrorist groups. There are more shawarma places than McDonalds here.
After this post last night you sure are on a roll.

Abounder

Banned
So we stop engaging the Middle East and North Africa for the foreseeable future until the whole area cools down or destroys itself? This has always been my preferred strategy, but, as a Muslim, I'd like your take.

Is there any reasonable hope to engage diplomatically, not just with governments, but with the people of these countried as well, to stifle the recruiting prowess of radical Islamic elements?

If the west moves towards energy independence and dwindling demographics then those other regions will indeed be left to their own devices. The only solution is to increase quality of life abroad, and that likely won't happen significantly in the next 15 or more years. Those regions depend on imports for food and other basics, it's going to be interesting times indeed.

asvpxjad

Banned
Here in Canada, as of 2012. 2 countries in our top 10 immigration list are places that have high amounts of these scums.

People bitch and moan here against those people, yet we have our doors open to them all wide open. That top 10 is calculated to be 56% of the entire immigration. The rest of our 44% is from other countries and i imagine that many more of them idiots get in from there.

Where I live we have 1 church, and 12 mosques... eventually we will get overrun by these Muslim, Islamic, Radical people.

Why people hate these groups is simple, they follow a religion that treats woman like shit and have fuck up views and ways.

And stop fucking eating shawarmas lol, i betcha some of those are put in place to make money and send that cash back to the terrorist groups. There are more shawarma places than McDonalds here.

You're so confused it's sad. Not all Muslims are radicals. As a Lebanese Muslim I have never met another Arab that has demoralized women in any way.

Gorger

Speaking as a Muslim and with full transparency, I can tell you that what you're suggesting will never happen.

The religion is too lost in it's ways. Culture oppresses anyone from speaking out loudly. Yes you'll have the few speak out living in the western world, but the people that live in the muslim world cannot freely speak out. Too much fear, oppression, and of course being targeted afterwards.

It's terrible really.

That kind of thinking was daily life in Medieval Christian Europe as well, but guess what it gradually changed! Do you think people living in the 1400~ ever would believe that we one day would get the freedom to say pretty much anything we want against Christianity without any fear of consequences or reprisals? I think (and hope) the Muslim world some day in the future also will look upon this period against Islamic Fundamentalism with shame and disgust just like Westerners are today against all the atrocities that was done in the name of Christianity.

These scums?

Really?

marrec

Banned
Just saw this cartoon on Twitter, don't know if it has been posted yet.

B6wjWW6CQAEBXdu.jpg

Man, just fucking nailed it.

Any ideology combined with heavy weaponry is a threat to our freedoms. Religions deserve criticism and satire indeed, but our disrespect? Poorly chosen wording, what about tolerance?

This is why he is such a bad writer, he writes fearless disrespect as if its necessary that all Muslims convert to non-religion

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I don't really agree the Thirty Years War was entirely about religion. I think in large part it was about the power of the Habsburg dynasty within the Holy Roman Empire (and the strength of the Holy Roman Empire as an entity) and beyond, certainly that's what it was about towards the end of the Thirty Years War anyway.
In addition, Islam has had plenty of intra-religious wars throughout its history. Sunni-Shia conflicts have been incredibly bloody and pervasive, but there have also been wars within Sunni Islam itself.

Basically, I find the notion that Islam requires a Thirty Years War equivalent to really change very unpersuasive.

Denying the holocaust is a thought crime. They can and do ban entire political parties. These things are fundamentally incompatible with the notion of free speech. Nonetheless, I agree with her. Freedom of speech and freedom of the press are important. I hope she initiates reforms in Germany in order to achieve those principles.

I agree with you but this is a whole other debate and I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to have it. It could get pretty heated.

Arksy

I agree with you but this is a whole other debate and I'm not sure if this thread is the right place to have it. It could get pretty heated.

You're right. Not the right place for it. I'm just eagerly awaiting updates. Hope this doesn't go on for much longer. :(

params7

Banned
Here in Canada,...

I fucking love shawarmas though. You haven't had a real shawarma until you've eaten one from a restaurant in UAE. Tasty as all hell.

And what exactly is so wrong with Mosques? Unless you're worried they'll make so many that they'll convert everybody and take over your government and impose Sharia law or something..which is all nonsense. Most of the immigrants coming over from Pakistan and Middle-East are working hard trying to make a new life in a new land. They have absolutely nothing to do with terrorist outfits as much as you'd like to believe otherwise.

The cop shot dead on the pavement was named Ahmed. Most likely a Muslim cop right here who just died protecting civilians.

Speaking of which, Angela Merkel, chancellor of a country that doesn't have free speech and freedom of the press, was talking about how these principles must be defended.

Germany is still in denial about its past, it takes time for wounds to heal.

edit: I'm talking about censorship of WW II related stuff

Lutherian

What the fuck is this?

Sadly, we have a lot of people like "ElodieTicotoune" in France :(. And we also have lots of young jerks who's actually happy of the murders on Twitter...

Like John Wayne said in a french parody of many of his films : "Monde de merde" (Shitty world") from the movie : La Classe Américaine.

Speaking of which, Angela Merkel, chancellor of a country that doesn't have free speech and freedom of the press, was talking about how these principles must be defended.

Are you drunk and/or high or just ignorant on 100% German and EU politics?

What you said is completely untrue.

Just saw this cartoon on Twitter, don't know if it has been posted yet.

B6wjWW6CQAEBXdu.jpg

This is so true it's not even funny.

This act will most probably fuel the hatred against the Muslim world - this very thread is already showing how some people will (stupidly) associate a barbarian act of a few crazy radical persons to the whole Muslim community - which is the last thing we need right now...

esms

If the west moves towards energy independence and dwindling demographics then those other regions will indeed be left to their own devices. The only solution is to increase quality of life abroad, and that likely won't happen significantly in the next 15 or more years. Those regions depend on imports for food and other basics, it's going to be interesting times indeed.

It's sad that the entire region will be left to rot by the US and Europe, especially given its tumultuous history with those two parties. I just hope it makes those peoples hate us less and not more.

Everything in this quote couldn't be further from the truth.

A lot of nazi related stuff is currently censored in Germany, hell even Nazi flags in Hearts of Iron III. Don't tell me that's a healthy approach to history?

edit: let me be clear that in no way am I defending nazism, I am talking about censorship, people seem to misinterpret what I mean

Kabouter

and here we go again, your argument started off great...

Starting to wonder if people just throw around terms like 'bronze age' to say 'Really really long ago'

Was Nazi Germany religious?

As a state, not really, outside of standard things like the oath swearing loyalty to Adolf Hitler being one where one swore to God. As a country? Absolutely. The vast majority of Germans at the time would have been either Roman Catholic or Protestant.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Any ideology combined with heavy weaponry is a threat to our freedoms. Religions deserve criticism and satire indeed, but our disrespect? Poorly chosen wording, what about tolerance?

What he is saying is that we shouldn't be afraid to disrespect religion. Which is perfectly true.

Germany is still in denial about its past, it takes time for wounds to heal. I'm pretty sure time will bring wisdom to them.

Please tell me this is a joke.

The world needs to learn from Germany in how they dealt with the past. There is not a single nation in the history of human civilization that has dealt with its past as good as Germany.

Abounder

Banned

This is why he is such a bad writer, he writes fearless disrespect as if its necessary that all Muslims convert to non-religion

No, he's saying that religions like all other ideas can and will be shit upon. To fear to disrespect something is no way for a free society to function, and more medieval than not.

Xcellere

Can you give examples of brainwashing to do evil things not in the name or involvement of religion?

Religion is massively capable of brainwashing, but it most definitely happens in secular society: You're telling me racist nationalism in Nazi Germany was motivated by religion? Maoist China, Stalinist Russia, Khmer Rouge, the list goes on.

Brainwashing happens both with and without religion, it's just that religious brainwashing is particularly incredible because it stems from such spectacularly irrational beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom