• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror attack kills 12 at Paris newspaper - 4 wounded, gunmen identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

Everything nazi related is currently censored in Germany, hell even Nazi flags in Hearts of Iron III. Don't tell me that's a healthy approach to history?

edit: let me be clear that in no way am I defending nazism, I am talking about censorship, people seem to misinterpret what I mean

Bullshit Nazi flags are allowed in history, science and art(games don't count as art by law). You see them in history books and movies.

SM7EUSs.png

Sick and disgusting. I'm speechless.

Yep, while these views are probably only representative of a minority of Muslims, it makes you wonder just how large that minority is.

I don't even begin to understand how you can put on an equal footing a genocide with satire.
WHAT!? I'm not. I'm equating saying a genocide didn't happen (which doesn't change the fact that it did indeed happen) with saying (or drawing) something insulting to Muslims. Abstract it out, and it's the same damned thing: Holocaut denial is incredibly offensive, drawing images of Muhammad is incredibly offensive.

If some ethic groups get laws preventing people from hurting their feelings, why not Muslims?

Any ideology combined with heavy weaponry is a threat to our freedoms. Religions deserve criticism and satire indeed, but our disrespect? Poorly chosen wording, what about tolerance?

Belief in different fictional characters in stories from different books written long ago has led to the deaths of unknown numbers, millions of people, over the centuries, with people still being slaughtered every day because of these magical storybooks.

If this is not something that humanity can fearlessly disrespect, then what is?

No, he's saying that religions like all other ideas can and will be shit upon. To fear to disrespect something is no way for a free society to function, and more medieval than not.

I would rather fear a society where you remove something a majority of peaceful people engage in because you hate it. I would rather have a society where moderate atheists and moderate religious people live together, that should be the goal, not elimination of ideas peaceful people accept

Yep, while these views are probably only representative of a minority of Muslims, it makes you wonder just how large that minority is.

I love how you took an image of 9 tweets with very few retweets in retrospect and tried to frame the argument with subtlety that oh look so few (I meant so many really) saying bad things so we really have to wonder if they really are a minority (gee I wonder in sarcastic way like comment)

Dilly

Banned
Everything nazi related is currently censored in Germany, hell even Nazi flags in Hearts of Iron III. Don't tell me that's a healthy approach to history?

edit: let me be clear that in no way am I defending nazism, I am talking about censorship, people seem to misinterpret what I mean

Make a thread about it if it bothers you that much, but don't shit up this one.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Seriously stop. It gets censored in games for completely different reasons. If you feel the need to see some swastikas you only have to turn your tv on. There are documentaries about that era literally 24/7 on german tv.

Grug

I'm firmly in the left wing camp but if anything shits me about some of my fellow small L liberals it is their addiction to cultural relativism. Liberalism first and foremost is about individual liberty... freedom of speech and expression, freedom from violence, freedom from religious persecution etc.

Yet all that goes out the window for some because somewhere along the way they misconstrued criticism of ideas as somehow equating to an attack on the people expressing the ideas. And when the people expressing those ideas are from another race or culture, somehow it all gets misconstrued as racism as well. Ben Affleck I am looking at you, you insufferable douchebag.

Thus Islam finds itself on a pedestal among some western liberals. We are welcome to criticise Christianity (and believe me, I do) but we have to sit by while a father in Iran cuts open the forehead of his infant son with a machete as a bloody tribute to Allah, Egyptian infant girls have their clitoris sawn off, 9 year old Saudi child brides are defiled, women are stoned to death without trial merely for having an affair, and western journalists/artists/cartoonists are slaughtered because they drew a ******* picture. We are expected to sit here and say "oh but you need to interpret it all through their cultural lens...".

Stupid ideas deserve ridicule. And like all Monotheistic (and other) religions, Islam has plenty of stupid goddamn ideas.

Belief in different fictional characters in stories from different books written long ago has led to the deaths of unknown numbers, millions of people, over the centuries, with people still being slaughtered every day because of these magical storybooks.

Precisely.

I just don't get it.

Xcellere

Nope. In fact, I asked a question and it wasn't directed at you. I wasn't telling or even asking you anything my friend.

I know it wasn't addressed to me, I'm just stating both religious and non-religious people are capable of being brainwashed into doing evil acts.

moai

i wonder why does islam attract this kind of lunatics. i dont know much about that religion but i know the answer must be very complicated.

marrec

Banned

The fact that we have the same 9 tweets getting reposted in a stupid image macro over and over tells me that it's a pretty fucking small minority apparently.

So we stop engaging the Middle East and North Africa for the foreseeable future until the whole area cools down or destroys itself? This has always been my preferred strategy, but, as a Muslim, I'd like your take.

Is there any reasonable hope to engage diplomatically, not just with governments, but with the people of these countried as well, to stifle the recruiting prowess of radical Islamic elements?

I honestly dont know, there doesn't seem to be one solution that fits all. It's the people that live there that need to stand up. If they want change then they need to fight for it, they need to be more courageous. But the lack of education, economy and hundreds of years of oppression make that a very difficult challenge.

I also understand that other muslims may not agree with me, that's to be expected. There's this urgency or some crises of sorts with muslims today who defend their religion at all costs. But at one point or another these same muslims need to ask themselves just wtf is really going on - I mean the religion continues to be hijacked every passing second.

The only logical step forward that I can think of is reform. Reform of the religion itself, an update of sorts - call it ISLAM 2.0 if you will. They need to start teaching ideas that penetrate through the thick veil of "muslim culture", perhaps what I'm suggesting is that Islam needs a dash and sprinkle of the western world culture or it's going to get left behind.

well said.

Gorger

Religion is massively capable of brainwashing, but it most definitely happens in secular society: You're telling me racist nationalism in Nazi Germany was motivated by religion? Maoist China, Stalinist Russia, Khmer Rouge, the list goes on.

Secular religion and cults of personality are tools that equally can spawn the same level of extremism that we see in religious fundamentalism. History has an abundance of examples of that, and today we can just look at North Korea to witness the suffering of such ideologies.

Lime

Like a Danish Arab celebrity wrote today:

It is with great sadness I receive the news.

And the sadness is even greater when I think of the consequences the next few days. Such a tragedy should move us all closer together, but that's not what is going to happen, unfortunately.

Soon newspapers will begin and call me to ask if I "reject" these actions. Facebook comments will be even more hateful and Muslim bashing will get full flora.

The politicians will fuel the fire and the hatred and the extremists for just what they want.

This is a sad day for all of us.

But its just a few people. Its not a growing symptom at all.

As someone who got agressed twice the past year for being the wrong person at the wrong place, I'm not so sure.

But, again, Islam is absolutely not a problem (a pretext, at best) and after today it will be one of the victim of what happened in Charlie Hebdo. The real problem is the failure of our integration model, and despair, poverty and religious radicalism cooking up its hideous mixture in places that have been deserted by the republic.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I have a feeling that this was done in the most unfitting of times possible. The right wing now has something to point fingers at - you can try to talk sense into people all you want if all they have to say is "just look at Paris" and the dump Pegida flock will nod like sheep.

I have a feeling that this was done in the most unfitting of times possible. The right wing now has something to point fingers at - you can try to talk sense into people all you want if all they have to say is "just look at Paris".

this is sadly what might occur. people with ultra nationalists thoughts who hate Islam (combined with those who hate religion ) will come into power

Nobody ran around with AK-47s or blew themselves up to prevent hate speech and holocaust denial.

I cant believe I have to actually type out this distinction. Those are laws that a civilized society came to enact and not something they were bullied into by thugs and murdering cowards.
So because people get so offended that they'll kill, European countries will decline to use a legal response they use when people are slightly less offended to prevent such attacks?

I mean, good on you for not letting the terrorists win and all that, but it seems wildly inconsistent.

i wonder why does islam attract this kind of lunatics. i dont know much about that religion but i know the answer must be very complicated.

I remember hearing Sam Harris ( think) talk about how there is a mentality of conquest involved.

But I'm the same, I don't know much about the religion either.

the biggest flaw in this argument is that the biggest number of deaths in the world in history have been under non-religious wars and attacks

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
WHAT!? I'm not. I'm equating saying a genocide didn't happen (which doesn't change the fact that it did indeed happen) with saying (or drawing) something insulting to Muslims. Abstract it out, and it's the same damned thing: Holocaut denial is incredibly offensive, drawing images of Muhammad is incredibly offensive.

If some ethic groups get laws preventing people from hurting their feelings, why not Muslims?

I don't agree with Holocaust denial being illegal, such stupid ideas should be subject to ridicule and criticism just like anything else, but there is a clear difference between denying historical fact and having the right to criticise and mock a religion.

Abounder

Banned
I would rather fear a society where you remove something a majority of peaceful people engage in because you hate it. I would rather have a society where moderate atheists and moderate religious people live together, that should be the goal, not elimination of ideas peaceful people accept

That quote's not saying eliminate religion. It's saying that we should live without fear when we talk about ideas including religion. It also mentions how the spirit (heart) of Islam has been mutated by AK-47s and totalitarianism.

That's really horrible, for some cheap drawing, people can get offended at a point where they would kill someone...

And also as a muslim, it really doesn't help the image of my religion in this country. Thanks terrorists.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/many-british-muslims-put-islam-first/

"Seventy-eight percent support punishment for the people who earlier this year published cartoons featuring the Prophet Mohammed."

This is a poll of muslims in the UK.

"When asked if free speech should be protected, even if it offends religious groups, 62 percent of British Muslims say No, it should not. "

They should leave the UK then. An immigrant does not necessarily need to totally adapt to the culture in which they now find themselves. Some adaptation like learning the language, and some customs are kind of required. That being said, the country they move to does not have an obligation to change to fit what they want.

Sanjay

Well if you do the maths, 1.6 billion population I think, 100 million would still be a minority right. It's a massive minority by default due to the size of its people.

the biggest flaw in this argument is that the biggest number of deaths in the world in history have been under non-religious wars and attacks

Could you elaborate on this? not familiar with this type of information but I find that really hard to believe.

That quote's not saying eliminate religion. It's saying that we should live without fear when we talk about ideas including religion. It also mentions how the spirit (heart) of Islam has been mutated by AK-47s and totalitarianism.

The goal is elimation of religion as it is. Reform needs to come to those off shoots radicals not the moderates. the flaw in the argument that Rushdi has is that moderates should reform themselves to make their religion irrelevant, the argument is framed in a way that radicalists are what true religion is and moderates are what came later. its the opposite. This is the the difference between the 2 sides. Moderates and Radicalists/Islamophobes. Moderates see original islam as their islam and radicalists and islamophobes see radical islam as original islam

SmokyDave

Well, when Channel 4 commissioned NOP to poll UK muslims back in '06, this was the result:

NOP Research said:
Asked about attitudes towards free speech, there was little support for freedom of speech if it would offend religious sensibilities. 78% of Muslims thought that the publishers of the Danish cartoons of the Prophet Muhammed should be prosecuted, 68% thought those who insulted Islam should be prosecuted and 62% of people disagree that freedom of speech should be allowed even if it insults and offends religious groups.

Obviously 'prosecuted' doesn't mean 'executed', but the attitude towards free speech is quite clear.

From here

moggio

Banned
They should leave the UK then. An immigrant does not necessarily need to adapt to the culture in which they now find themselves (least not totally, some adaptation like learning the language, and some customs are kind of required). That being said, the country they move to does not have an obligation to change to fit what they want.

Why do you assume the Muslims are immigrants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom