• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terror attack kills 12 at Paris newspaper - 4 wounded, gunmen identified

Status
Not open for further replies.

squall211

Can we stop talking about Ben Affleck and Sam Harris? Ben Affleck is an actor and celebrity while Sam Harris is a philosopher, intellectual, and has devoted a large part of life to studying religion... We don't need to be debating the merits of their argument ffs

It's like this thread travelled back in time 2 1/2 months.

Stet

Banned
Then you're being disengenuous because I'm talking about gender and sexual equality within islam when I made that particular point.

Islam doesn't need extremists to show that it is backwards.

Perhaps you shouldn't have responded to someone making a point about nonviolence, then.

Azih

Maybe it is because I have a wider context on Harris because I am familiar with his work, but I am absolutely convinced that you have got him all wrong.
Ah Ok, I can't go by the interview then I have to go into the context of Harris' wider work?

OK. First let's say that at best Harris was manipulated by Affleck to fall into rhetorical traps JUST IN THAT INTERVIEW where he agreed that he is 'the person who understands the officially codified doctrine of Islam? (He) is the interpreter of that.'

And then instead of being specific and saying SOME VERSIONS of ISLAM he just mispoke by going full on general and attacked the whole thing when he said "Islam at the moment is the mother lode of bad ideas." (Not some versions of the thing. The whole damn thing.)

And then he wasn't actually serious when he said "here are hundreds of millions of Muslims who are nominal Muslims who don’t take the faith seriously, who don’t want to kill apostates, who are horrified by ISIS" So any muslim who doesn't want to kill apostates and isn't horrified by ISIS is a 'nominal muslim who doesn't take the faith seriously' Because HEY Sam Harris is the final authority on THAT.

LET'S JUST GIVE HIM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT ON ALL OF THAT for some reason that I don't understand at all. Fine.

How about His fear-mongering easily debunked bullshit about MUSLIMS DEMOGRAPHICALLY TAKING OVER EUROPE as he does here?

http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/the-reality-of-islam
"Islam is the fastest growing religion in Europe. The demographic trends are ominous: Given current birthrates, France could be a majority Muslim country in 25 years, and that is if immigration were to stop tomorrow."

Or how about his horrific statement that "“We are not at war with terrorism. We are at war with Islam.” Again not 'some version of Islam' ISLAM. Which he apparently can define completely and totally from his own fevered imagination which, for some reason, has more authority for you than what the opinion of actual muslims may be.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2004/dec/1/20041201-090801-2582r/

There may be some things Harris says that appeal to you but why should that give him a free pass for when he turns around and says horrific irrational shit?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
European elections are obviously the most likely place for Eurosceptic parties to do well, and even in those, no far right party came close to a majority of support in their own country, which would definitely be required to seize power.

They don't need to get the majority though. Just enough votes to force themselves in the government (like Heider in Austria years ago) or to actively block the functioning of the government on the back of a divided political scene like recently in Sweden.
Of course, not having majority means that the democracy is not fully in danger, but they could still have a negative influence on the public policies.

It sure would be great if people stop judging religion based on the actions committed by fuck tard extremist.

Yeah it's really sad. We don't see these people as muslims, no one I know will sympathize with those fucks since it's us they're hurting the most. Muslims have been able to live peacefully alongside jews and christians, on or outside muslim majority nations for a millenium so it's not a compatibility issue with western lifestyles. In Turkey they had hardcore laicist secularists in power for 100 years, the call to prayer was even changed to Turkish and no one got bombed or murdered over it.

Wahhabism is the root of all this evil fundementalism.

They said that they were part of Al Qaeda in Yemen, shouted "that they avaenged the prophet".
Charlie Hebdo is known to have ruffle feathers with the mahomet caricature.

Or are you one of those smart guys that suspects the Mossad?

I am not. But it's just words, anyone can say that. Anyway, no matter what are these people, it still sucks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
smh. I have educated people enough here that its not. not going through the education process again. people just refuse to listen.

Maybe people do not agree with the bullshit you have to say.

I'm having trouble exercising restraint in my response to you, so I'll just leave it at that.

Please.

Paranoid hypotheticals and slippery slopes everywhere in this thread.

Your fever dream of what might happen if populist right wing parties Turbo-Nazis were to implausibly assume total control in their respective nations is not comparable to today's events.

KmA

You guys argue all you want, we all know that Muslims in France are gonna suffer the consequences. Already calling a spike in hate crimes now.

Not everyone on GAF is fluent in French Computer.

Sorry, I'll translate it. sorry for the late answer but it's hard to keep up with the thread, the French media and real life)

Am I the only one who's surprised that the (pseudo)islamist assassins abandoned their car right in the middle of the Jewish quarter, 290 meters away from the Michkenot Israël synanogue (6 rue Jean Nohain, 75019 Paris)? What a strange way to retreat, going somewhere that's 4 minutes away by foot - according to Google Map - from a place that's heavily guarded by the national security alert???"

It was just an average comment from Egalité & Réconciliation, the main "anti-Zionist" movements in France. No matter the story, they will find a way to spin it against Israel.

Volimar

Then you're being disengenuous because I'm talking about gender and sexual equality within islam when I made that particular point.

Islam doesn't need extremists to show that it is backwards.

It's funny because in some countries we see as backward now we're once bastions of civil liberties among Muslim countries before fundamentalists took over in the past few decades.

B6whmqsCcAAsmmC.jpg:large

"Spanish caricaturists: "And this is our gun"

Kabouter

They don't need to get the majority though. Just enough votes to force themselves in the government (like Heider in Austria years ago) or to actively block the functioning of the government on the back of a divided political scene like recently in Sweden.
Of course, not having majority means that the democracy is not fully in danger, but they could still have a negative influence on the public policies.

There is a vast chasm between a party like the FN or PVV being part of a cabinet, and pushing through things like stricter immigration policies, and between seizing power and start committing crimes against humanity. Aside from that, almost all these parties condemn violence, not exactly typical of fascist movements. Just seems like needless fearmongering to say that this attack will lead to such a shift in European politics that fascist movements will seize power and start murdering Muslims.

BajiBoxer

Banned
The religion of Islam is absolutely awesome, it's the best thing that happened to me in life and I am a better person since becoming muslim. According to this religion it is unlawful to kill innocent people.
I think a religon can be bad in ways other than murder, though I can't speak on the Koran and the prophet Mohammed which forms the basis for your religion. I left my religion (Christianity) over the many terrible things in our holy book. I wouldn't mind seeing a debate on specifics of the religion's books. Would be interesting.

Blair

Banned
You know what, i'm really not fucking worried about 'omg right wing going to capitilise on this!' just after a bunch of blokes were brazenly slaughtered in broad daylight over cartoons.

To those saying that, you are just as guilty of rubbing your hands together in glee after seeing this shit and not even waiting untill the corpses are cold to take shots.

Grug

Or how about his horrific statement that "“We are not at war with terrorism. We are at war with Islam.” Again not 'some version of Islam' ISLAM. Which he apparently can define completely and totally from his own fevered imagination which, for some reason, has more authority for you than what the opinion of actual muslims may be.

I don't have any intellectual issue with the notion that a Non-muslim could know more about Islam than an actual Muslim.

No issue at all.

Unless conversion to the faith automatically bestows upon you a great wisdom and understanding?

Anyway, people have expressed their irritating at this derailment, so perhaps you can start another thread for taking Harris out of context. In the mean time we should move on here.

You took umbrance to a very minor aside in a much more detailed post which was simply expressing the notion that people shouldn't be brutally executed for expressing an IDEA. Hopefully we are on the same page there.

Are there islamic leaders decrying this foul action as immoral and sinful? I need to see that happen, record it and remind myself and others of it. I have never been given evidence that Islamic leaders condemn these actions.
You've either not being paying attention, or you've chosen not to look.

Greece, really? Do you even follow Greek politics? The majority of them vote for leftist parties. It's like one of the few countries in the world where communists have some power still.

Golden Dawn? They are a joke and their small voter base prove it.

Serbia? Why Serbia?

fanboi

Banned
Calling every voters that voted for them that. And yes, calling them fascist is stupid too as it water down the word. I don't see them as fascist, more like hardcore conservative.

I agree with you. But the (major) problem I have with SD is the representatives (majority of them what I can see) have a very telling background of being racist and fascist.

Their politics, on paper, isn't racist or so... it just ozing from the background though what they really want.

MacNille

Banned
I agree with you. But the (major) problem I have with SD is the representatives (majority of them what I can see) have a very telling background of being racist and fascist.

Their politics, on paper, isn't racist or so... it just ozing from the background though what they really want.

Agree on that.

Piggus

If you're not a citizen and flying in from another country, yes. After that you don't need one though IIRC

This is comparing travel in the EU to USA?

You don't need a passport to fly within the US, but you still need an ID matching your itinerary.

Madness

Yeah it's really sad. We don't see these people as muslims, no one I know will sympathize with those fucks since it's us they're hurting the most. Muslims have been able to live peacefully alongside jews and christians, on or outside muslim majority nations for a millenium so it's not a compatibility issue with western lifestyles. In Turkey they had hardcore laicist secularists in power for 100 years, the call to prayer was even changed to Turkish and no one got bombed or murdered over it.

Wahhabism is the root of all this evil fundementalism.

That's because they're not the majority in these countries. Compare the difference in Islam in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Afghanistan and then India. What's the difference? There are 900 million Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists in India that wouldn't take kindly to any extremism again. Islam itself becomes moderated when it's a minority religion because they have no choice. But to say it's always been peaceful is ridiculous.

The only option is to live peacefully and integrate with Western or non-Muslim ideals, otherwise they're goners. Now look at Muslim majority nations, very few are inviting of other religions, and there are often numerous attacks against Christians, Jews, etc.

Azih

Says he's "well educated" - check

Says "motherlode of bad ideas" - check

Says "Muslims who don't support ISIS aren't serious about their faith" - nope,
What?

Harris said:
There are hundreds of millions of Muslims who are nominal Muslims who don’t take the faith seriously, who don’t want to kill apostates, who are horrified by ISIS

Again, you have to be accepting of people criticizing your religion.
I criticize some Muslims all the damn time and some versions of Islam (to be specific... which people really should be and Harris completely isn't.. Extremist Salafism which is sometimes known as Wahhabism which is a pretty damn recent phenomenon in Islam). That's a far cry from criticizing 'Islam' in absurdly reductive simplistic terms as Harris does.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Ah Ok, I can't go by the interview then I have to go into the context of Harris' wider work?

OK. First let's say that at best Harris was manipulated by Affleck to fall into rhetorical traps JUST IN THAT INTERVIEW where he agreed that he is 'the person who understands the officially codified doctrine of Islam? (He) is the interpreter of that.'

And then instead of being specific and saying SOME VERSIONS of ISLAM he just mispoke by going full on general and attacked the whole thing when he said "Islam at the moment is the mother lode of bad ideas." (Not some versions of the thing. The whole damn thing.)

And then he wasn't actually serious when he said "here are hundreds of millions of Muslims who are nominal Muslims who don’t take the faith seriously, who don’t want to kill apostates, who are horrified by ISIS" So any muslim who doesn't want to kill apostates and isn't horrified by ISIS is a 'nominal muslim who doesn't take the faith seriously' Because HEY Sam Harris is the final authority on THAT.

LET'S JUST GIVE HIM THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT ON ALL OF THAT for some reason that I don't understand at all. Fine.

How about His fear-mongering easily debunked bullshit about MUSLIMS DEMOGRAPHICALLY TAKING OVER EUROPE as he does here?

http://www.samharris.org/site/full_text/the-reality-of-islam
"Islam is the fastest growing religion in Europe. The demographic trends are ominous: Given current birthrates, France could be a majority Muslim country in 25 years, and that is if immigration were to stop tomorrow."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2004/dec/1/20041201-090801-2582r/

There may be some things Harris says that appeal to you but why should that give him a free pass for when he turns around and says horrific irrational shit?

Sam Harris cannot be "manipulated" by someone like Ben Affleck. That made me laugh out loud. That's like Mini-Me trying to dunk on Shaq. Look at how red-faced and angry Affleck gets during that discussion as he goes around labeling people as racist, it's embarrassing.

The specific quote you link to in the article needs some clarification. Here, Harris is saying that the US is claiming to be at war with "terrorism", but is actually at war with a certain form of extreme Islam. You conveniently left out the part where he says "we are not at war with all Muslims".

He doesn't say "horrific, irrational shit". He speaks a very carefully considered and worded argument, which you are interpreting to be an insult to your religion and fear-mongering. It isn't, it's just the facts.

Again, Sam Harris is one of the most level-head and unbigoted people you could ever hope to have a debate with. He only wants truth and reason, and for bad ideas to be questioned, as they should be.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
French GAFer here. Just got back from work. Man, what a shitty, horrible weird ass day. I grew up reading Charlie, I still can't really believe this shit. I have so much anger right now, and it's like I dunno what to do with it.

Went to the Capitole place in Toulouse straight after work, lots of people assembled there (and in all major cities too), yelled freedom and were waving "I am Charlie" signs.
Was very emotional. I feel like shit, and can't even beging to fathom the victims' families...

Sorry, not much interesting to add to all that's already been said. I guess I needed to vent somehow.
WWolLCX.jpg

Sam Harris cannot be "manipulated" by someone like Ben Affleck. That made me laugh out loud. That's like Mini-Me trying to dunk on Shaq.

The specific quote you link to in the article needs some clarification. Here, Harris is saying that the US is claiming to be at war with "terrorism", but is actually at war with a certain form of extreme Islam. You conveniently left out the part where he says "we are not at war with all Muslims".

He doesn't say "horrific, irrational shit". He speaks a very carefully considered and worded argument, which you are interpreting to be an insult to your religion and fear-mongering. It isn't, it's just the facts.

Again, Sam Harris is one of the most level-head and unbigoted people you could ever hope to have a debate with. He only wants truth and reason, and for bad ideas to be questioned, as they should be.

Sam Harris has proved with his own words that he in the minds of most muslims is a Bigot. You know who don't find him a bigot? Radicalists because he believes Islam of the radicalists is the real islam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom