• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 100 S3 |OT| Adventures In Character Assassination - Thursdays 9/8c

Somnia

I thought it was a decent finale, not great, but not bad. I did think it ended a bit too abruptly though, I also wish they would have saved Pikes death till next season.

I'm more curious than anything in where the heck they take the next season, which I guess is one of the goals of a finale.

Dunlop

The obsession with Lexa is ridiculous. People really need to get over her.

Due to the shitstorm the last time the killed her in the show, I knew there was no chance in hell they would show her "die" again lol

to re-iterate the actress left the show of her own accord....

Glad this retarded puppetmaster, walking dead, matrix story arc is over.

I'm going to pertend the whole Raven turning from a mechanic to Neo thing did not happen

Joni

I thought it was a decent finale, not great, but not bad. I did think it ended a bit too abruptly though, I also wish they would have saved Pikes death till next season.

They would have to spend time on explaining who he was again just to kill him off, but it seemed to strange, the way it happened. Just too fast, without enough reason. They could have used him as a victim for the grounders, have Kane or Jaha kill him, which gives them a bit of depth.

tumblr_o7gl2aSLK11qcwaqao1_500.gif
Not gonna lie when the girl came by on the bike and Lexa thanked Becca I thought for a split second it would cut to Lexa shoving the girl off the bike and stealing it.

Hamlet

Solid finale but it felt pretty much like most of the season has rushed. Was really nice to see Lexa again even if it was pretty brief. The nuclear twist was sorta interesting and i'm looking forward to seeing where they go with that in season 4. Hope that also means we get to see more grounder clans.
Also hope they delve a bit more into the repercussions of so many suddenly leaving the CoL. Already not looking good for Jasper and I'm curious as to what happened to those people that were "killed" in the CoL are they brain dead now?

Somnia

Solid finale but it felt pretty much like most of the season has rushed. Was really nice to see Lexa again even if it was pretty brief. The nuclear twist was sorta interesting and i'm looking forward to seeing where they go with that in season 4. Hope that also means we get to see more grounder clans.
Also hope they delve a bit more into the repercussions of so many suddenly leaving the CoL. Already not looking good for Jasper and I'm curious as to what happened to those people that were "killed" in the CoL are they brain dead now?

I'm pretty sure they mentioned at one point if you die in the CoL you die IRL also because it kills your brain.

freoleo29

I enjoyed the AI story but it really felt like they dug themselves into a hole at the end there and didn't know how to end Alie.

Not sure if this new storyline about nuclear meltdowns is going to be as good as the past storylines and i doubt they will have the grounder story to fall back on now, it's been used so much and surely them all being the city of light would have affected the relationship of the grounders and skaikru.

I was actually surprised that they ended the AI story this season, wasn't expecting it to be rushed into one episode like that but i guess they have been following a season by season story since the start, was kind of expecting someone like Jaha to get shot by Abby seconds before they all got released by the AI but that didn't happen.

I thought Alie may have escaped through Jasper for a moment there but i'm glad it doesn't look like thats the case, immediately after he left the room i thought he was going to take his life too but again that didn't happen, I guess i was just looking out for something to actually happen as the episode seemed like a bit of a non-event really.

Joni

There are probably other tribes out there on the way to stop the meltdowns. Although I have to wonder, how will they stop the ones in Europe?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Spend 20 minutes on Clarke's conversation with Alie which could have ended in two to five sentences.

Spend 20 seconds on the aftermath of all this including what Octavia just did.

harSon

Banned
You don't realize how ridiculous Lexa looks until you see her juxtaposed against a modern cityscape. She looked cyber punk as fuck.

sammex

I enjoyed that. They did a good job giving everyone something to do whilst Clarke was in the matrix. I could've done with more Lexa and maybe some other commanders appearing to help out would've been cool, or find out some more about the history/knowledfe of the commanders. Also expected the Flash to turn up whilst they were running around Vancouver :p

The twist for next year seems cool. I guess it'll be Clarke's job to try and convince everyone about the reactors and it'll bring the grounders and skaikru together either to find somewhere to survive or build a new ark or something.

Was waiting for Octavia to kill Pike all episode and found that it was like the last thing before the episode ending more surprising than anything. Defo necessary lose end after he killed Lincoln there was no way she'd let him live, and it was totally justified/deserved after what he did. His whole reasoning that the peace keeping grounders would've attacked after Lexa died so slaughtering them was legit is a big pile of BS. I guess Bellamy gets let off now cos of "his need for revenge". Hmm.

Hey Miller and Bryan survived! Was sure one or both would've died already.

Had similar thoughts to everyone else about Jasper going off on his own. Was he hearing voices or something? Defo thought he was going to end it right there and after how he's been all season, finally finding some peace and then having it ripped away from him, it would have been understandable.

Anyone else felt like they sidelined Jaha? I thought he was going to have a way more prominent role but other than handing out the chip he barely did much.

Overall the season was so up and down quality wise, I reckon they had two seasons worth of story and tried to cram it into one. They could've improved all aspects of both the Pike and Allie stuff if they hadn't rushed through it and actually taken time to develop them both properly, and given us more of a conclusion than that jarring ending.

p.s. Raven is the best.

Yeah so cool, those billboards, the fundraiser and Lexa Pledge. Will all hopefully have a positive effect in the future.

There's speculation that Jason edited the finale to leave Lexa's fate ambiguous because of the backlash. It's been confirmed that ADC and Eliza both went in to record voice overs for the finale (the scene with the Raven door, specifically) so...it just makes you wonder.

-Deimos

Fuck yeah Octavia.

Damn, so much negativity for the finale. I thought it was decent. Maybe I'm just glad the season is over and we get a fresh start next season.

Goodstyle

The "Lexa" pledge is a seriously embarrassing concept. Any writer worth their salt would never sign and honour something like that.

Smoolio

The "Clexa" pledge is a seriously embarrassing concept. Any writer worth their salt would never sign and honour something like that.

Yeah I know if I wanted to continue the status quo and continue killing queer females in tropey ways, then I wouldnt sign it either.

It's at least a pledge to put thought into such storylines, which they haven't done in the past. It's existence even if they don't sign will hopefully make writers have more discussion before they do the same old trope.

Goodstyle

Yeah I know if I wanted to continue the status quo and continue killing queer females in tropey ways, then I wouldnt sign it either.

It's at least a pledge to put thought into such storylines, which they haven't done in the past. It's existence even if they don't sign will hopefully make writers have more discussion before they do the same old trope.

Criticism is fine and pointing out overused tropes is a great thing to do, it's just the idea of demanding writers sign this pledge with a list of story demands seems childish, especially since the death that prompted it was actually a great one (in theory). The actual execution of Lexa's death was embarrassing, but everything surrounding it was fantastic. It expanded the show's universe and mythology in a big way and re-energized a lagging season. Her death episode was one of the best in the series overall, yet it supposedly "breaks" the pledge, and if you really look at this pledge, one can interpret any bad thing ever happening to a queer character on a TV show as breaking it.

Criticism of the optics surrounding Lexa's deah is fair, and pointing out how much of a cliché killing queer women has become is another fair thing to do, but creating an artificial moral standard for writers to uphold and then demonizing them for not meeting those standards is absurd. The shit the show runner here got for Lexa's death was way overblown.

kirblar

The problem is that they gave it thought and still did it anyway :p

Giving it more thought won't help, they just need someone with brain cells consulting.

Criticism is fine and pointing out overused tropes is a great thing to do, it's just the idea of demanding writers sign this pledge with a list of story demands seems childish, especially since the death that prompted it was actually a great one (in theory). The actual execution of Lexa's death was embarrassing, but everything surrounding it was fantastic. It expanded the show's universe and mythology in a big way and re-energized a lagging season. Her death episode was one of the best in the series overall, yet it supposedly "breaks" the pledge, and if you really look at this pledge, one can interpret any bad thing ever happening to a queer character on a TV show as breaking it.

Criticism of the optics surrounding Lexa's deah is fair, and pointing out how much of a cliché killing queer women has become is another fair thing to do, but creating an artificial moral standard for writers to uphold and then demonizing them for not meeting those standards is absurd. The shit the show runner here got for Lexa's death was way overblown.

How did it expand the show's mythology? All it did was actually show the second AI. In the end, they did fuck all with that whole storyline and ended up having Clarke use the flame. Everything from Lexa's death up to the finale was a giant circle jerk and a complete waste of time. They had potential to make it interesting, but they didn't.

Her death was really well done and beautiful, I can't even deny it. But you also can't forget the baiting that surrounded it, or the thousands of LGBT people who were seriously affected over it, or its significance in the pop culture world. I mean, the death made it onto every major news outlet. The Washington Post, Variety, you name it, there was an article about the trope and how shitty the whole having them bang only for her to die immediately after was.

It has nothing to do with forcing writers to write a certain way, and everything to do with trying to show that yes, it is a serious problem and fans aren't going to stand for it. So you can do whatever you want, as a show runner, but be warned. It's a problem, it's not okay, and if you're aware of it and still choose to kill a character that way, then there are going to be consequences. It's a societal problem that has gone on for far too long and needs to be addressed. It is absolutely fair for these writers to get called out on their shit. To defend them is to say that the trope is okay, and that's not fair to the millions of LGBT fans across multiple shows in regards to the representation that we so desperately crave.

Goodstyle

How did it expand the show's mythology? All it did was actually show the second AI. In the end, they did fuck all with that whole storyline and ended up having Clarke use the flame. Everything from Lexa's death up to the finale was a giant circle jerk and a complete waste of time. They had potential to make it interesting, but they didn't.

Her death was really well done and beautiful, I can't even deny it. But you also can't forget the baiting that surrounded it, or the thousands of LGBT people who were seriously affected over it, or its significance in the pop culture world. I mean, the death made it onto every major news outlet. The Washington Post, Variety, you name it, there was an article about the trope and how shitty the whole having them bang only for her to die immediately after was.

It has nothing to do with forcing writers to write a certain way, and everything to do with trying to show that yes, it is a serious problem and fans aren't going to stand for it. So you can do whatever you want, as a show runner, but be warned. It's a problem, it's not okay, and if you're aware of it and still choose to kill a character that way, then there are going to be consequences. It's a societal problem that has gone on for far too long and needs to be addressed. It is absolutely fair for these writers to get called out on their shit. To defend them is to say that the trope is okay, and that's not fair to the millions of LGBT fans across multiple shows in regards to the representation that we so desperately crave.

Hey, I said the death was a good idea in theory. If the writers had capitalized on that momentum behind the "Commander" title and origin, they could have done something amazing with it. You have to admit, it was very exciting at the time. Even if they did an amazing job with it though, that wouldn't change the outrage surrounding the death itself, and that's basically my point. Fans don't look at the context of things within stories. They will just think X character dying means the show writer is a POS. There was a massive disconnect between critics and outraged people over what happened in the episode Lexa died for a reason.

Also, baiting? What does that even mean? Doesn't the show runner routinely talk about how no one is safe on this show?

kirblar

Hey, I said the death was a good idea in theory. If the writers had capitalized on that momentum behind the "Commander" title and origin, they could have done something amazing with it. You have to admit, it was very exciting at the time. Even if they did an amazing job with it though, that wouldn't change the outrage surrounding the death itself, and that's basically my point. Fans don't look at the context of things within stories. They will just think X character dying means the show writer is a POS. There was a massive disconnect between critics and outraged people over what happened in the episode Lexa died for a reason.

Also, baiting? What does that even mean? Doesn't the show runner routinely talk about how no one is safe on this show?
Nah, there are two things they need to not do:

a) Indulge the shippers
b) Make it Buffy Redux

They have to make it a story about the sacrifices of leadership and opportunity cost, not a horrible aborted wedding night.

Smoolio

The baiting in this case implied that she would be safe, that this time it would be different, that the fandom must have trust issues if they thought they would indeed do the same old trope. Its all explained in detail in that link I posted earlier.

Excited at the time sure, since Eliza and Alycia absolutely killed every scene especially the love scene. Then a minute later I would go with soul crushing.

It's not just the fact that their favorite character is dead. It's the fact that she was killed immediately after consummating her love with a woman, which essentially made it NOT about love and instead about tragedy. If she had to be killed, fine. I get it. It's not really about the fact that Alycia had to go to another show. It's about the fact that they took a strong lesbian character that was such a positive representative for the LGBT community in television for the first time in a long ass time and reduced her to another dead gay as a result of a disapproving parental figure who tried to discourage her relationship.

If she had to die, do it in a way that strengthened her character. Have it mean something. Have her die in battle or something about her legacy of peace.

in regards to baiting, check out this. It was linked before but it's a good site to get informed.

EulaCapra

Enjoyed the finale even though ending on Octavia and Pike feels like an episode's end and not a season finale.

But I don't remember how Abby got EMP'd to get rid of the chip. Was that shown last week or was that just glossed over through dialogue? And was Indra's actress just not available for the finale? That was weird.

Sober

Enjoyed the finale even though ending on Octavia and Pike feels like an episode's end and not a season finale.

But I don't remember how Abby got EMP'd to get rid of the chip. Was that shown last week or was that just glossed over through dialogue? And was Indra's actress just not available for the finale? That was weird.
They brought the EMP for Ontari so they could put the chip in her without ALIE knowing, but Jaha brained her.

Also yeah the whole finale felt rushed. The whole season felt rushed, yet it couldn't even have a proper wind down.

from 0 to The 100

i'm surprised people thought Lexa wasn't going to die eventually (just like I knew
Lincoln
would eventually get killed). In my opinion, this season was weak and it was definitely rushed.

Goodstyle

It's not just the fact that their favorite character is dead. It's the fact that she was killed immediately after consummating her love with a woman, which essentially made it NOT about love and instead about tragedy. If she had to be killed, fine. I get it. It's not really about the fact that Alycia had to go to another show. It's about the fact that they took a strong lesbian character that was such a positive representative for the LGBT community in television for the first time in a long ass time and reduced her to another dead gay as a result of a disapproving parental figure who tried to discourage her relationship.

If she had to die, do it in a way that strengthened her character. Have it mean something. Have her die in battle or something about her legacy of peace.

in regards to baiting, check out this. It was linked before but it's a good site to get informed.

Hey, I said from the start that the optics of the death was embarrassing and clumsily handled. I just thought the episode itself was very well done overall, tying the past and the origin of the "Commander" into the present in a meaningful and exciting way.

But that discussion doesn't matter as much now, because I just spent the last hour reading through that timeline. The show's staff interacted with the fandom was wildly inappropriate. They seriously let it all get to their heads.

The most egregious part for me was when he said he never watched Buffy. Bull fucking shit. Show me a TV creator that creates a show on the CW that didn't watch Buffy and I'll show you a leprechaun. I didn't even need to see the tweets he had on Buffy as proof of his lying because you can see that show's influence everywhere on his own show.

His staff was infiltrating forums, he was responding to every little concern his fans had for the fate of these characters, and he acted unprofessionally with his cheeky hopeful responses. It's like he was afraid of strangers thinking he's mean, Jesus.

Funny how they mention that zimbio contest, because I voted in it for the couple that ended up winning. Root and Shaw from Person of Interest, and when the creators of that show were asked about killing its queer characters they gave a straight answer. They didn't tease and dance and play with their fans, they gave an honest and thoughtful response. If The 100 folks have done that from the start, I would have had a much easier time defending them. As it stands now, that was some immature stuff on their side and I get the outrage.
PS: Anya's death was the worst.

They have a ways to go, but there was definitely a lot of "yup he's going to die" foreshadowing that Brian was going to die, and for some reason the writers kept him alive.

Were people angry when Anya died?

I certainly was, because it was a meaningless death and there was a lot of chemistry (romantic or otherwise) between her and Clarke. Her relationship with Clarke was allowed to develop at a realistic pace and then she's just dead for no reason.

Joni

They have a ways to go, but there was definitely a lot of "yup he's going to die" foreshadowing that Brian was going to die, and for some reason the writers kept him alive.
I hope it is because they were baiting us on the death flags and not because they chickened out.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't remember liking Anya too much when she appeared, but her death did seem surprisingly sudden. Same with the Queen of the Ice Nation. They cast pretty recognizable character actors, so I think I'm trained to expect then to stick around for longer than a handful of episodes.

That train of thought made me think of Finn. Dude that plays him hasn't been in anything since The 100.

Top Bottom