• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2016 Australian Open |OT| 18th January - 31st January

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
you know, i probably would if murray managed to produce more than two sets of competitive tennis.

My prediction. First set see Murray give away a stupid break early and end 6-3. Second set will be very close, something like 7-5 or 5-7. If Murray wins, he'll play good in the third and everyone will think he's going to do it... until he collapses 5-7 at the end. If Murray loses, he'll play good and take the third 7-5. It'll be competitive enough either way everyone will be tense about the fourth set... which will be a 6-1 wipeout for Nole.

6-3 5-7 7-5 6-1 or 6-3 7-5 5-7 6-1

book it.

Murray should see this out now, surely. All he needs now is for Kim to go into labour, so he doesn't have to suffer another Aus. Open defeat to Djokovic.

My prediction. First set see Murray give away a stupid break early and end 6-3. Second set will be very close, something like 7-5 or 5-7. If Murray wins, he'll play good in the third and everyone will think he's going to do it... until he collapses 5-7 at the end. If Murray loses, he'll play good and take the third 7-5. It'll be competitive enough either way everyone will be tense about the fourth set... which will be a 6-1 wipeout for Nole.

6-3 5-7 7-5 6-1 or 6-3 7-5 5-7 6-1

book it.

The story of their last two Aus. Open finals, if I remember correctly, is that Murray stayed with him for the first two and a half sets before he just mentally got wore down and went into that slump he always go into against Djokovic. This time, I don't even see Murray nicking a set off him. Basically Murray has to play like a god and hope Djokovic has an off day, and even then, it's dicey.

sam777

Unlucky for Raonic nevermind but he has showed that he can be a threat to the top players in future tournaments if he plays the way he has recently.

He was with Djokovic in 2013 until a feather annoyed him, and in 2015 he was less with him but still nabbed a set, at which point Djokovic played garbage for 5 minutes holding his ankle, then came back amazingly and killed Murray mentally.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Unlucky for Raonic nevermind but he has showed that he can be a threat to the top players in future tournaments if he plays the way he has recently.

yeah, he should be aiming for top 4 this year.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
He was with Djokovic in 2013 until a feather annoyed him, and in 2015 he was less with him but still nabbed a set, at which point Djokovic played garbage for 5 minutes holding his ankle, then came back amazingly and killed Murray mentally.

murray really has no chance since djokovic knows perfectly well that all it takes is a bit of clowning to totally rattle him. if things look at all close, all djokovic has to do is hold his wrist or ankle and miss a couple shots, then go back to playing normal and the match is over.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Aiesh, I feel sorry for Raonic, he looks close to crying.

miserable

Djoker must be laughing his ass off seeing this match. He probably feels so confident that he's gonna have sexy time with his wife tonight in celebration.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame, he's put up one hell of a fight and nobody deserves to lose because an injury affected their play. He certainly doesn't deserve a bagel.

I think he'll get through without one.

EDIT; gosh that prediction happened quickly

MrS

Banned
Like I said....Murray isn't making the final.
eating-crow.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, Murray is a fantastic player and rightly the world number 2. But Djokovic is just... something else.

oti

Banned
Only thing Murray can do is to pray the Djoker won't play as well as he did against Federer in the first two sets.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Come on Andy, please don't be 2/10 in major finals after Sunday :(

2-7, wouldn't it be? He's made two Wimbledon finals, won one, two US Open finals, won one, five Australian Open finals, won none (unless he wins this one).

I mean, Murray is a fantastic player and rightly the world number 2. But Djokovic is just... something else.

And there's the problem. How do you beat a guy who has destroyed the entire tour with ease in the past year or so. I have a small, tiny hope that a miracle can happen, but at the very least, let's hope for a great 5 set match regardless of the winner.

MIMIC

Banned
Congrats to Murray.

Raonic did well to get where he is, but still has some slight improvements to make if he wants to get to his first slam final. I don't know whether it was bad luck or just conditioning, but he's still physically not there (just like he was last year where he was injured a lot). Mentally....he's pretty much there. Aside from the few moments where he cracked under pressure, I was impressed, especially with how he handled the tiebreak. There were a couple of moments where he succumbed to the pressure, but there isn't a tennis player alive that doesn't get tight in certain situations.

The future looks bright for him, so if he continues improving, he'll definitely get to a slam final. But before he does that, he needs to win a Masters first.

szaromir

Banned
2-7, wouldn't it be? He's made two Wimbledon finals, won one, two US Open finals, won one, five Australian Open finals, won none (unless he wins this one).

Yeah, I got confused, his loss on Sunday would make it 2 out of 9, not 2 out of 10. Let's hope he conjures up some magic and gets the W.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
As a side note, if Djokovic beats Murray, Nadal gets the second Wooden Spoon at a slam of his career.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The future looks bright for him, so if he continues improving, he'll definitely get to a slam final. But before he does that, he needs to win a Masters first.

wawrinka and del potro both won a slam before winning a masters (with del potro never winning one), so it's not like it's a requirement.

Raonic will obviously be disappointed at his injury and losing in 5, but he has to take heart from this tournament - 3-2 over Wawrinka and 2-3 against Murray are strong Slam results, and clearly his attacking game can be effective. If he can consistently perform like this at Slams he'll be a real threat at Wimbledon and the USO, but that's been the problem for the next generation - one good tournament followed by months of nothing. Raonic strikes me as a bit different from the likes of Dimitrov and Tomic, though, extremely driven and professional.

Raonic will obviously be disappointed at his injury and losing in 5, but he has to take heart from this tournament - 3-2 over Wawrinka and 2-3 against Murray are strong Slam results, and clearly his attacking game can be effective. If he can consistently perform like this at Slams he'll be a real threat at Wimbledon and the USO, but that's been the problem for the next generation - one good tournament followed by months of nothing. Raonic strikes me as a bit different from the likes of Dimitrov and Tomic, though, extremely driven and professional.

The new generation have talent, of that there's no doubt, but they really do need to master the mental and physical side of things. That's the direction the game has gone. It's moved away from the grace of Federer to the grind of Djokovic and Nadal.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray to win the AO; use the newfound confidence to summon the behemoth that is clayray and win RG; troll Djokovic with his new career golden grand slam.

MIMIC

Banned
wawrinka and del potro both won a slam before winning a masters (with del potro never winning one), so it's not like it's a requirement.

I'm not saying it's a requirement. I'm saying that he still has some room to grow, and getting better at the lower level would be a great way of showing it (since there are 9 opportunities at Masters and only 4 at slams)

Murray to win the AO; use the newfound confidence to summon the behemoth that is clayray and win RG; troll Djokovic with his new career golden grand slam.

I shall begin the summoning. I need three grains of clay from Roland Garros, a white feather of distraction, a small hair restoration tonic for the scalp and a mars bar lightly battered. Once all these ingredients have been combined, a beast shall emerge that has the capability of destroying the ever present end boss that haunts Muzza's playthrough of Andy Murray's Grand Slam Tennis Serbian Nightmare.

Diamond

And Cilic.

Yeah he's constantly receiving praise for his professionalism. His new playstyle could be deadly on faster courts. Maintaining this level of play during a whole year will be difficult but if he manages to be physically ready for the slams, it could be interesting.

oti

Banned
I shall begin the summoning. I need three grains of clay from Roland Garros, a white feather of distraction, a small hair restoration tonic for the scalp and a mars bar lightly battered. Once all these ingredients have been combined, a beast shall emerge that has the capability of destroying the ever present end boss that haunts Muzza's playthrough of Andy Murray's Grand Slam Tennis Serbian Nightmare.

You need Djoker's sweatband? I still have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom