• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 24 Hours of Le Mans 2014 |OT| Audi, Porsche, Toyota. One Winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Edmond Dantès;116050808 said:
Have a safe trip and prepare yourself for a once in a lifetime experience. The first Le Mans is always something special.

I was thinking about going this year, but I was too late.
I will try to get there next year.
You have been there several times from the Sound of it?
Is was looking trough tickets and was wondering: is the pitlane ticket worth it?
What would you recommend? Grandstand tickets? Camping in Arnage? Pitlane?
Would be nice if you could shed some light on your experience.

Edmond, I think it needs to be said – this is the best OT I have ever seen. Outstanding work, thank you.

While this OT is certainly outstanding work, but look at the MGS 4 one. mother of all OTs
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303161

Steiner84

yellow flags at the end kept them from their best lap.
Which would still not be first row according to their mechanics but at least better then with what they ended. they said a top lap would get them to 3:22.5 at best.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I was thinking about going this year, but I was too late.
I will try to get there next year.
You have been there several times from the Sound of it?
Is was looking trough tickets and was wondering: is the pitlane ticket worth it?
What would you recommend? Grandstand tickets? Camping in Arnage? Pitlane?
Would be nice if you could shed some light on your experience.

While this OT is certainly outstanding work, but look at the MGS 4 one. mother of all OTs
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303161
Hi Steiner, I've been 7 times since childhood. I'll go through everything you need to know.

1. Tickets- the general entrance ticket will give you access to the areas detailed in this map:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zQbIsxJGLQcY.kP4YaI9BXO2M

As well as access to the open pitlane on Fridays.

The pitlane walk ticket tends to be quite expensive and frankly it doesn't offer you much more than what you are likely to experience on an open Friday. As far as grandstand tickets; they are certainly worth the expense especially if it's your first time. Seeing the start and finish in the comfort of a seat and with a great view is priceless.

Sommer and Lagache are good grandstands. The ACO grandstand is only available to members. T34 tends to be cheapest and for good reason. Although it provides for a interesting view of the start/finish straight and is directly above the pits, it bears the brunt of the sun during the day, not recommended if you burn easily. On hot, sunny Le Mans weekends you tend to see that grandstand quite empty during daylight hours. Panorama and Raccordement provide for great views, but again are very exposed to the elements.

If you decide to camp, then the problems mentioned above don't really pose an issue. You can always go back to your campsite for some shade etc. If you aren't camping but commuting to the track, and you plan to stay at the track for the full 24 hours, then having a grandstand seat is great for catching up on some sleep (with ear plugs of course!).

Your seat is reserved during the race, but once night falls, security becomes very lax, you can move around the grandstands and sit where you want. You can do this during the day too, once the race has started and people start to drift around.. Having a grandstand seat also provides for relatively easy access to the customary track invasion at the end of the race.

I would recommend a grandstand seat for first-timers.

2. Camping/Commuting - Having done both, each has its merits. Price and inconvenience are two negatives against commuting, but it also depends on where you're commuting from. If you're based in Paris for example, you have to factor in the TGV train to Le Mans, expense, timing etc. If you're staying in Le Mans, it's less of an issue as Le Mans city centre is only a 20 minute tram ride away from the circuit.

Camping obviously has its upsides and drawbacks, the sense of community versus the inconveniences of camping (especially during wet Le Mans weekends). But camping at Le Mans is one of the things you just have to do.

3. Transport - If you're commuting, there is easy access to the centre of Le Mans via the tram. The tram route also includes the train station which is a 25 minute journey. Buses too are reliable. If you're driving to Le Mans, be prepared for long queues of traffic and hours of waiting. The TGV train from Paris to Le Mans takes about two hours for the standard service or one hour for the high speed service. You're looking at around €150 for the high speed train, half that for the standard train. Take into account French toll roads if driving to Le Mans. This site is handy: http://www.viamichelin.com/

4. Food - Pricey, but not extortionate at the circuit. But with the city centre so close, have your meals there. There's also a supermarket nearby the race track (Carrefour), so you can stock up on essentials there. There are plenty of bars and restaurants in the vicinity of the circuit.

5. Le Mans Village - Basically a funfair within the circuit, with the big wheel as the main attraction. The big wheel is a must at night, breathtaking views of the circuit are guaranteed. Costs about €5. There's also a range of stalls in the village area, with team merchandise, and some unique sellers. You can spend hours there just browsing, without spending anything.

6. Helicopter rides - Offered at the circuit. Costs €70-€90. Seems to be getting more expensive as the years go on. Do not book this with a third party supplier of Le Mans tickets, they tend to charge double. It tends to be a 10 minute trip, with undoubtedly the best views of the circuit, especially at night. If you're on a budget skip it.

7. Facilities - Main toilets in the village. Portaloos in the camp sites. Frankly horrifying, but necessary. There's a lot of alcohol consumed by thousands of people during the weekend, so you can imagine. Even worse when the weather's bad. This is where it pays to be an ACO member. They have good shower facilities and toilets near their grandstand.

8. Exploring - An absolute must. Walking around the track and seeing the cars from different vantage points is something special. Whether it be sunrises at the Dunlop curve or sunsets at Tertre Rouge. Arnage and Indianapolis at night to see glowing brake discs or Mulsanne. You can easily walk to Dunlop, Tertre Rouge and the Porsche curves, but Arnage/Indianapolis and Mulsanne are bit of a hike. But they have a shuttle bus service that runs at the circuit to take you there. It tends to get very busy though at certain times. Traveling the circuit via bicycle is fantastic and a bicycle is something you should certainly consider bringing with you if you're camping. Away from the circuit, you have a lovely city, with a beautiful old town area and a very decent cathedral. The populace are friendly and welcoming. Do explore.

9. Mad Friday - You'll hear plenty about this. Essentially, people congress in certain areas and go wild. Flash cars doing donuts, people with water guns spraying cars going past with water (and sometimes other things), copious amounts of alcohol consumed. Best avoided as it's becoming ever increasingly obnoxious.

10. Drivers' parade - Customary parade through Le Mans city centre. A great chance to see the drivers, but more importantly, the greatest collection of exotic cars you're ever likely to see in one place. Definitely a must-do for a first-timer. Find a place to sit down with a cold beer, then sit back and relax.

That about sums it up, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. My recommendation to a first-timer; camping, with grandstand seats.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
What happened to the Audi's? Was expecting them to be more competitive than that.
This pretty much reflects what we've seen thus far in the WEC championship. The #1 Audi would have been much closer, but for the crash.

From the first test day at Le Mans:

oJBDx9C.png

Porsche #14 and #20 were pretty much on par with Audi #2 and #3. With Audi #1 looking the biggest threat to Toyota.

What happened to the Audi's? Was expecting them to be more competitive than that.

It's been a while since they've been the outright fastest cars (first year Peugeot returned I believe). They just get all of the other boxes checked, which are the most crucial parts of winning an endurance race.

Have been on a bit of a tour today. Went down the Mulsanne straight and just had lunch in Arnage. Off to the museum now. Good stuff.

What are my options in Canada?

I'm moving this weekend but I should have my cable hooked up on Saturday evening. Won't have Internet until Monday though.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
What are my options in Canada?

I'm moving this weekend but I should have my cable hooked up on Saturday evening. Won't have Internet until Monday though.
Speed if you have access to it. Or the Official Le Mans app.

If not the above, streams of Eurosport's television coverage.

Steiner84

Edmond Dantès;116335976 said:
Hi Steiner, I've been 7 times since childhood. I'll go through everything you need to know.

1. Tickets- the general entrance ticket will give you access to the areas detailed in this map:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zQbIsxJGLQcY.kP4YaI9BXO2M

As well as access to the open pitlane on Fridays.

The pitlane walk ticket tends to be quite expensive and frankly it doesn't offer you much more than what you are likely to experience on an open Friday. As far as grandstand tickets; they are certainly worth the expense especially if it's your first time. Seeing the start and finish in the comfort of a seat and with a great view is priceless.

Sommer and Lagache are good grandstands. The ACO grandstand is only available to members. T34 tends to be cheapest and for good reason. Although it provides for a interesting view of the start/finish straight and is directly above the pits, it bears the brunt of the sun during the day, not recommended if you burn easily. On hot, sunny Le Mans weekends you tend to see that grandstand quite empty during daylight hours. Panorama and Raccordement provide for great views, but again are very exposed to the elements.

If you decide to camp, then the problems mentioned above don't really pose an issue. You can always go back to your campsite for some shade etc. If you aren't camping but commuting to the track, and you plan to stay at the track for the full 24 hours, then having a grandstand seat is great for catching up on some sleep (with ear plugs of course!).

Your seat is reserved during the race, but once night falls, security becomes very lax, you can move around the grandstands and sit where you want. You can do this during the day too, once the race has started and people start to drift around.. Having a grandstand seat also provides for relatively easy access to the customary track invasion at the end of the race.

I would recommend a grandstand seat for first-timers.

2. Camping/Commuting - Having done both, each has its merits. Price and inconvenience are two negatives against commuting, but it also depends on where you're commuting from. If you're based in Paris for example, you have to factor in the TGV train to Le Mans, expense, timing etc. If you're staying in Le Mans, it's less of an issue as Le Mans city centre is only a 20 minute tram ride away from the circuit.

Camping obviously has its upsides and drawbacks, the sense of community versus the inconveniences of camping (especially during wet Le Mans weekends). But camping at Le Mans is one of the things you just have to do.

3. Transport - If you're commuting, there is easy access to the centre of Le Mans via the tram. The tram route also includes the train station which is a 25 minute journey. Buses too are reliable. If you're driving to Le Mans, be prepared for long queues of traffic and hours of waiting. The TGV train from Paris to Le Mans takes about two hours for the standard service or one hour for the high speed service. You're looking at around €150 for the high speed train, half that for the standard train. Take into account French toll roads if driving to Le Mans. This site is handy: http://www.viamichelin.com/

4. Food - Pricey, but not extortionate at the circuit. But with the city centre so close, have your meals there. There's also a supermarket nearby the race track (Carrefour), so you can stock up on essentials there. There are plenty of bars and restaurants in the vicinity of the circuit.

5. Le Mans Village - Basically a funfair within the circuit, with the big wheel as the main attraction. The big wheel is a must at night, breathtaking views of the circuit are guaranteed. Costs about €5. There's also a range of stalls in the village area, with team merchandise, and some unique sellers. You can spend hours there just browsing, without spending anything.

6. Helicopter rides - Offered at the circuit. Costs €70-€90. Seems to be getting more expensive as the years go on. Do not book this with a third party supplier of Le Mans tickets, they tend to charge double. It tends to be a 10 minute trip, with undoubtedly the best views of the circuit, especially at night. If you're on a budget skip it.

7. Facilities - Main toilets in the village. Portaloos in the camp sites. Frankly horrifying, but necessary. There's a lot of alcohol consumed by thousands of people during the weekend, so you can imagine. Even worse when the weather's bad. This is where it pays to be an ACO member. They have good shower facilities and toilets near their grandstand.

8. Exploring - An absolute must. Walking around the track and seeing the cars from different vantage points in something special. Whether it be sunrises at the Dunlop curve or sunsets at Tertre Rouge. Arnage and Indianapolis at night to see glowing brake discs or Mulsanne. You can easily walk to Dunlop, Tertre Rouge and the Porsche curves, but Arnage/Indianapolis and Mulsanne are bit of a hike. But they have a shuttle bus service that runs at the circuit to take you there. It tends to get very busy though at certain times. Traveling the circuit via bicycle is fantastic and a bicycle is something you should certainly consider bringing with you if you're camping. Away from the circuit, you have a lovely city, with a beautiful old town area and a very decent cathedral. The populace are friendly and welcoming. Do explore.

9. Mad Friday - You'll hear plenty about this. Essentially, people congress in certain areas and go wild. Flash cars doing donuts, people with water guns spraying cars going past with water (and sometimes other things), copious amounts of alcohol consumed. Best avoided as it's becoming ever increasingly obnoxious.

10. Drivers' parade - Customary parade through Le Mans city centre. A great chance to see the drivers, but more importantly, the greatest collection of exotic cars you're ever likely to see in one place. Definitely a must-do for a first-timer. Find a place to sit down with a cold beer, then sit back and relax.

That about sums it up, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. My recommendation to a first-timer; camping, with grandstand seats.

Wow thank you!
I would most certainly drive myself with my car.
So to be clear: Any ticket for the race grants you Access to every part of the track (besides grandstands). There is no such Thing as a arnage ticket where I can only be there?
So, yeah I allready figured that a grandstand ticket would suit me best. Thanks for the tipps regarding sun, otherwise I would have went with T34 most likely.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Wow thank you!
I would most certainly drive myself with my car.
So to be clear: Any ticket for the race grants you Access to every part of the track (besides grandstands). There is no such Thing as a arnage ticket where I can only be there?
So, yeah I allready figured that a grandstand ticket would suit me best. Thanks for the tipps regarding sun, otherwise I would have went with T34 most likely.
Yes indeed. General entrance ticket = access to all parts of track that are accessible to the public.

Separate tickets for grandstand seats.

And separate tickets for the camping sites.

dalin80

Banned
Just purchased the one month access with eurosport, need to do a junk food shopping run tomorrow and I will be set.
Have fun all, I will see you at race start.

Steiner84

Just purchased the one month access with eurosport, need to do a junk food shopping run tomorrow and I will be set.

there is also a 45 minute warmup at arround 10 o clock iirc and a historic car cup, both also on eurosport.

dalin80

Banned
there is also a 45 minute warmup at arround 10 o clock iirc and a historic car cup, both also on eurosport.

Did that last year, with the 24 straight after and my brain not as young as it used to be I pretty much burnt out, really took away from the end of the race for me. Will be hitting the start of this one nice and fresh.

I think the diesel/gas rules have caught up with them this year.

ACO had to dial back the diesel advantage to the point that it's now a diesel disadvantage. Hopefully with Nissan dieseling it up next year we'll have another data point for them to use for the regs. e: maybe not, looks like Nissan's doing internal combustion too? Boo

It's been a while since they've been the outright fastest cars (first year Peugeot returned I believe). They just get all of the other boxes checked, which are the most crucial parts of winning an endurance race.
Eh. The R-18s have been class of the field every year until this year.

There was a year or two with the R-10 and R-15 where Peugeot were faster and Audi won anyway, but for the most part the "Audi wins with slower cars!" thing is overplayed.

Watevaman

Ok, so it turns out Fox Sports Go doesn't support Verizon FiOS and we only get FS1, so is there any way to watch the whole race streaming without an iOS device (actually preferably without paying anything lol)?

Juicy Bob

Oh cool, didn't know Eurosport had a way of signing up with them online.

£6 for one month's worth of coverage seems a cheap price for this PPV quality race!

dalin80

Banned
Yup, it's how I watched last years as well, Eurosport player on the laptop with HDMI to the big screen and comfy couch enjoyment.

Steiner84

Oh cool, didn't know Eurosport had a way of signing up with them online.

£6 for one month's worth of coverage seems a cheap price for this PPV quality race!

well you also get to see up to 7 courts at wimbledon which starts at the 23rd. if your into tennis.

Addnan

I have Eurosport on the SkyGo account that I use, didn't know yay. Don't have to spend any money. Need to go stock up on food...

Seanspeed

Banned
Eh. The R-18s have been class of the field every year until this year.

There was a year or two with the R-10 and R-15 where Peugeot were faster and Audi won anyway, but for the most part the "Audi wins with slower cars!" thing is overplayed.
I think Toyota was definitely the faster car in 2012.

dalin80

Banned
Now to figure out how to get the eurosport audio but with radio lemans commentary. The eurosport player doesn't seem to include any sort of customization controls.

Mastah

Adam Cooper ‏@adamcooperF1 11m

'@alo_oficial just told Eurosport that he will race at Le Mans one day. He seems to be enjoying himself

I certainly hope so! Would love to see Alonso, Hamilton and few others F1 drivers having a go.

TylerD

Morning GAF! I have breakfast, beer, snacks, redbull, and 9 hrs of sleep behind me.

Let's get this amazing event under way!

fuenf

damn seeing the LMP1s leading the field i cant help but feel excited, despite being a giant Audi fan and knowing that they wont have chance.

TylerD

damn seeing the LMP1s leading the field i cant help but feel excited, despite being a giant Audi fan and knowing that they wont have chance.

They absolutely have a chance. So much of Le Mans is pit work and accounting for the unknown and being able to recover from it. Audi's garage and pit crew could be the difference maker.

fuenf

They absolutely have a chance. So much of Le Mans is pit work and accounting for the unknown and being able to recover from it. Audi's garage and pit crew could be the difference maker.

yeah I know but it's just sad that the regulations have made them 1,2s seconds slower / allocated them less fuel. but well, let's wait and see. I just love it when the teams are relatively close in terms of performance. The 2011 race was amazing.

fuenf

does anyone know a working live timing site?

ah got it. loos the official site just doesnt work with Safari.

Portman

Loving the sound of the regen on the Porsches when they brake for the turns. Makes it easier to tell them apart after I goofed up and mixed them up initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom