• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The AWS (abused wife syndrome) ESPN NFL 2005 Xbox league! Last time Sega! LAST TIME!

hgplayer1

yeah but you Madden fanboys are always paranoid about being left out because of the general elitist attitude of the tourney admins so youre always chomping at the bit to play.

Ramirez

I dunno if your being serious,but I fail to see this elitist attitude...we don't have enough for 16...so if you do an 8 man tourney and put the name/pass on the board,you run the risk of getting people that we don't even know signed into it :p The PMs process should be handled better though I guess :p

Fifty

What a joke this game is.

-I'm really sick of the auto replays. I don't want to have to endure (Yeah, I skip 'em, but he animation is annoying) a replay after a 21 yard FG.

- The AI. CK got screwed

- Shockey dropped a wide, wide open TD

- The game pretty much just sucks

Since I'm an honest man I will say that the reporting game results screen was not a problem. No wait whatsoever.

Fifty

Not so much. Cmac got two picks. :D

By the way, I can't get onto the league page. It gave me some error, now it's just not loading.

It's (kinda) working now.

hgplayer1

Ramirez said:
I dunno if your being serious,but I fail to see this elitist attitude...we don't have enough for 16...so if you do an 8 man tourney and put the name/pass on the board,you run the risk of getting people that we don't even know signed into it :p The PMs process should be handled better though I guess :p

nah i wasnt being serious but i see you understood what i was referring to. all in fun tho.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Just lost a disgusting game. I mean this is why we consider quitting this league. I was up I think 6 - 3 in the first or early second. I have 3rd and goal, I send Shockey out to the corner of the endzone and fifty blitzes. Shockey, the guy with the highest catch rating on my team, is WIDE OPEN. I mean, NO ONE WITHIN 10 YARDS. He could have bought a hot dog and come back, I lobbed the ball THAT softly... and he dropped it. Maybe he would have caught the chair that flew across my room after that play.

After I scored the field goal, Fifty goes for a short pass to Darling, my guy who was further down field and BEHIND darling goes for an INT...!? There was no way he could even have made a play with his position, yet he goes for the int, and him being in the animation prevents him from making the tackle, giving up a free TD.

Let's talk about zone coverage now. On Fifty's many goalline stands (I'll get to that later) 2nd and 3rd and goal, I called zone coverage, soft. My line of thinking was to pepper the goal line with defenders who could potentially bat the pass down. It worked incredibly against MalleyMal, giving up very few pass yards, with the same players. Now they became abso-fucking-lutely inept. Running away from balls, not putting their hands up, and having balls go through their flailing arms. What happened between this and last week?

My receivers did a good job of that too. Threw what, 3 ints that game? Put the ball right where receivers could make the play, but they just gave up the passing lane to Fifty's receivers. Maybe my guys are too timid? Yeah that's it. Social anxiety. They are afraid of being in the spotlight and making the play so they just allow the ints and the good field position.

This game is a joke, through and through.

What hurts is that I didn't call a bad game, in fact, defensively, I called a MUCH better game than last week. Just look at Fifty's rushing yards, AND I WAS PLAYING THE PASS ALL GAME! Hopefully I can bounce back next week, but I had fucking aspirations of first place.

Congrats though Fifty, I don't mean to rain on your parade, just venting. How is the view from the top...

hgplayer1

"First, the Giants went 69 yards in six plays, capped by the 1-yard TD flip to Shockey, the tight end who had disparaged Parcells in a preseason magazine article. Until then, Shockey, who finished with two catches for 8 yards, hadn't caught a pass and dropped one while wide open in the end zone."

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20030915_DAL@NYG

OMG THIS GAME IS SOOOOO REAL! maybe he was too wide open?

that was the greatest game Ive ever watched on MNF :D

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Does it excuse the garbage AI?

I'll stay in the league for the sake of the folks who organized it and to keep my rep of always playing my games, but even you have to admit that the game is flawed. I've lost many many games in both Madden and ESPN, and haven't had to post a rant after each loss now, have I? If I lose fairly, it's fine, but it's as if the game predetermines who wins.

hgplayer1

my post was more for myself than a comparison of how real ESPN may be when compared to football.

as soon as I read that Shockey dropped a wide open pass in the end zone all I could think of was that game on Monday Night.

I hope you do stay on Wellie even if the flaws in the game will prevent you from enjoying the games you play. we all signed on for this league very early on after the games release so its understandable that some of you wouldnt have signed up if you knew the game would be like it is, but I would hope that as long as you keep the game you would just play the games your scheduled to play.

maybe try limiting your exposure to this league to gettin games played and keeping in contact with your opponents. the flaws are well known by everyone, theyll continue to happen, so dont drive yourself crazy worrying about them. I think Ive learned to use my team and the plays to make this game enjoyable for me again but i certainly understand your frustration.

Fifty

If he didn't respond, that's more than I'd do. I probably wouldn't have waited at all for him unless he had said he'd show. You earned this forfeit win. :D

ShadowRed

Banned
Ok guys I have some good news, bad news and maybe not so bad news. The god news is that I found a job after a month of unemployment. The bad news is that it entails that I have to travel a lot, which means I won't be home some times. The not so bad news is that I will be staying in hotels and from what I've seen a lot of them may have highspeed internet which means there might be a slim chance that I won't have to drop out of the league. I won't know till I get to my hotel. I'll be leaving Tuesday morning getting to my destination some time that day around noon. I don't have a problem bringing my Xbox with me and still playing after work, but again I can't be certain that I will have broadband access. If we can get this week done with i am sure i can play my next game before Tuesday and then if I have access to broadband where I am I can play the week after that no problem, if not you can drop me.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
hey ya'll, I have no idea what week ya'll are in, or if Ive been given a loss or booted from the leauge.. to make a long story short, I went to a barbeque at a friends place and ended the evening with a tube in my stomach pumping the barbeque back out. I still feel like ass, but Im concious more often than not..

so, whatever is going on, I can play.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
wait.. why did I get a loss if there is still another game from week 6?

I could understand if everyone else had played while I was out.. but if there is still a game.

Fifty

FrenchMovieTheme said:
quick update on the games guys:

giants vs. ravens - read post above

vikings vs. bears - tried to play, leagues went down in the middle, they'll get it done tonight

patriots vs. chiefs - mav can't sign onto XBL for some reason. i'm going to forefit it tonight unless i hear differently from mav or someone that the game will be completed

stooge vs. bog - if stooge doesn't respond im going to forefit it, just saw that bog actually did post in this thread trying to contact him

so, let me reiterate to you: if these games are not done tonight (with the exception of the first 2 games, which i know for a fact are getting done soon if not tonight) they are going to be forefits. it sucks i know, but this week should have been done already. i know there are factors out of peoples control (leagues going down), but not even posting in this thread is within your control. so, you're right, the forefit stick is comin boyeeeeee!

you got a loss because the other game was supposed to be played last night, so i figured it would all be done last night. it didn't get done, but the odds that you and bog would hook up tonight were slim and none since bog said he waited last night and wouldn't be able to play tonight. sorry dude, i had to forefit. i know it was beyond your control, but the league had to move on with the week. i'll advance to week 7 tonight after the pats/chiefs game

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Cmdr. Solrak: It is imperative we get our game in before the end of the night Monday. As I have mentioned twice in this topic already, leaving for a business trip Tuesday morning - Friday afternoon. Don't know my schedule for tomorrow, I will PM you about that. Saturday I am gone almost all day, maybe late night we could play. Sunday I should be available all day, same as Monday.

Fifty said:
Certainly. As long as you don't mind playing at 11:30 or 12 EST. I could play even later...

Yea, I have an easy and shortened work day tomorrow so I can pull a late night. I'll post again as soon as FMT updates the week.

Wellington said:
Cmdr. Solrak: It is imperative we get our game in before the end of the night Monday. As I have mentioned twice in this topic already, leaving for a business trip Tuesday morning - Friday afternoon. Don't know my schedule for tomorrow, I will PM you about that. Saturday I am gone almost all day, maybe late night we could play. Sunday I should be available all day, same as Monday.

Ok m8y...how bout we set it up for Saturday night or sunday night after 11PM CT....sound good?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Havoc,when can you rumble with the Texans?

Fifty

DJ....I'll just say this........It took you longer to snap than it would me. I think I'd be fake punting when it was 40-0. ;p

Maverick

Damn yo. Guileless isn't around to respond to me and I get the loss.

That's rough man........

Oh well...I'm gonna make the playoffs. Guaranteed. I'm too good not to.

Top Bottom