• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best top rated Nintendo game is...?

What's the best of Nintendo's generational tentpole games?

• Total voters

LakeOf9

Every generation Nintendo puts out some games that are considered to be generation defining, leading games. The cream of the crop of what Nintendo's development ability can achieve. These typically tend to be across the Mario, Zelda, and Metroid franchises, though other franchises like Smash Bros., Animal Crossing, Xenoblade, and Mario Kart also break into this tier.

I have listed the top two rated games for each Nintendo system since N64 (except Wii U because everything on the Wii U was ported to better systems). Which of these do you like the most and why?

They peaked with Super Mario Bros. 3 and The Legend of Zelda on NES. Super Mario Bros 3 knocked the template for a platformer with map based progression out of the park with great challenge and controls. The Legend of Zelda redefined what an action adventure could be with saves, interchangible dungeons to tackle, and an open world brimming with enemies and secrets. Everything since has been middling.

Last edited:

Ikutachi

Nintendo Power, of all things, was responsible for Ocarina not getting 100.

AL6HIpo.png

Paltheos

I was briefly torn between Metroid Prime and Breath of the Wild before my heart immediately informed me of the correct answer. It's Metroid Prime, of course. Great level design, bosses, and music together with a fun array of power-ups in the 3D space for Samus. It's a simple but complete package. Replaying the remastered version on the Switch made clear a few spots where its age shows (poor backtracking routing in early-mid game; low boss count) that are largely improved on by its successor, but Metroid Prime 1 is still a great game.

PS: The best Mario games aren't even the highest rated, huh lol

EruditeHobo

Super Metroid, Link to the Past, and Mario 64 are my top Nintendo games. Many others are also great, and then a number more that people consider great I consider to be very overrated.

That said, I understand why Ocarina of Time got the ratings it did... at the time it was groundbreaking stuff. But even then I preferred Mario 64.

Was there z-targeting before OoT? If not, that alone puts it in incredibly rarified air in terms of impact and innovation.

amigastar

Super Metroid, Link to the Past, and Mario 64 are my top Nintendo games. Many others are also great, and then a number more that people consider great I consider to be very overrated.

That said, I understand why Ocarina of Time got the ratings it did... at the time it was groundbreaking stuff. But even then I preferred Mario 64.

Was there z-targeting before OoT? If not, that alone puts it in incredibly rarified air in terms of impact and innovation.
I think Z-Targeting i an invention of OoT. But also Rumble Pack was first invented on the N64. The N64 pioneered many things like 3D stick i think.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Always OoT
It was massive back then
Still heralded one of the best games ever made. I can think back to that gold cartridge and I immediately know where I was playing , and that Christmas in particular.

Absolute train wreck memories. Dad was an alcoholic, hit my mom, they both worked two jobs, had a house they couldn’t afford, and pretty soon came bankruptcy before I lived most of my young life in an apartment sharing the bed with my dad. Mom slept on the couch, and sister got the only other bedroom. Slept there until she finally moved out which was basically my freshman year of high school.

But when I think back to that basement and couch with my own little tv playing Zelda? None of that shit actually matters. Clapping Ganons cheeks is the most important thing going on. I even got Pokemon blue that Christmas. Was an amazing sheltered moment in time to escape all the shittiness around me.

Pejo

Gold Member
Have you played zelda a link between worlds? Fantastic homage to a link to the past.
Yep, it's my favorite Zelda game in the last 15 years. The only thing I didn't like is the rental mechanic. It allows you to tackle dungeons in any order but it kinda cheapens the progression system. Fantastic game though and Hilda > Zelda.

It's Ocarina of Time, there is no other answer. I'd also argue for Metroid Prime and Super Mario Odyssey in terms of pure quality. Breath of the Wild for influence.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
All of them, except The Wind Waker. 96 to that ludicrously easy, grindy, repetitive, unfocused, unfinished game? It’s still better than a lot of other games, but come on.

Robb

Gold Member
I’d go with OOT if we’re talking the biggest/best generational tentpole game. The move from 2D to 3D was just such a humongous graphics and gameplay departure/leap, and they nailed it on their first go.

Stunning achievement at the time.

I'd say Ocarina and Prime. OoT in particular thanks to the 3DS remaster, which is great. Prime remake is great also. Maaaybe Odyssey too, but the endgame kinda sucks, despite being rather important to the overall package.

Majora's would be a good contender, if they didn't screw up the remake. It absolutely irritates me that there's no definitive version of that game. I like the graphics on 3DS and a few features were needed, but they went way overboard with the dumbing down and handholding.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I'm in the minority here, but I think it is Odyssey. Best in my mind is something fully accessible to a modern audience. I loved Odyssey and my, now, 8 year old loved it from when he was 6. OoT was never that broadly appealing.

Holammer

BotW with Super Mario Galaxy 2 & Odyssey nipping at its heels.
I don't fully understand the worship of Ocarina, maybe it's a lot of childhood nostalgia for some people. I was a grown man when I played it.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
BotW with Super Mario Galaxy 2 & Odyssey nipping at its heels.
I don't fully understand the worship of Ocarina, maybe it's a lot of childhood nostalgia for some people. I was a grown man when I played it.

I don't understand the worship of Zelda.

People with real taste know that Mario is the superior franchise and it's not even close.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Very close between Super Mario Galaxy and Breath of the Wild for me but I’m going for the latter.

I don’t know how they ever beat those going forward but then again I thought that about Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time in the years after those released and for me they did better them.

BlackTron

I don't understand the worship of Zelda.

People with real taste know what Mario is the superior franchise and it's not even close.

In the 90s Mario and Zelda were very close but as time went on Mario kept pace while Zelda got a bit weird and inconsistent. But all of the best games are from back then so older fight is weighted more heavily.

Galaxy vs Twilight Princess almost doesn't even matter when you have to worry about 64 vs OOT. Also, Mario 3 isn't even in the poll? It's still the best Mario title.

Top Bottom