• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

that kanyeface thread is 5 pages? no thank you.

This is wild but it's kind of hilarious how no one even bats an eyelid at this. They must see stuff like this every day. Dude in the red didn't even look up.

Serious question: at some point, will black people let it go? Maybe 300 years from now?

Asian people were brought here and exploited as slaves to build America's railways and as slave labor in gold mines.

There has been a history of yellow-face (e.g. The King and I) as well not to mention the continued white-washing of Asian roles in movies (e.g. Avatar, GITS, etc.) Asians generally continue to be portrayed as feminine, nerdy; they are rarely featured outside of martial arts films.

I'm not salty about it at all. My sister isn't. My mom isn't. I dunno, at some level, you gotta just it go.

Americans mocked Japanese people during WWII, rounded Japanese Americans up and put them in a camp, dropped two atomic bombs on Japan. The Japanese don't seem that salty about it.

Even if you look at China and Japan and the atrocities carried out during WWII including the Rape of Nanjing. Despite all of that, China is Japan's largest trading partner. At some point, you just gotta let it go, IMO.

I said goddamn

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
All my life goals condensed into one photo

tumblr_nwajw6Xhum1rztdgoo1_500.jpg

to dress up as spider-man?

Hi Jubei, haven't seen you post for a while, how you keeping fam.?

Stabbed myself in the gut, survived, other than that im ok. i suppose. how are you?

Numb

I said goddamn

That's Super saiyan god super saiyan lvl right here.
Would you like to have a serious discussion and address it?

I honestly believe that at some level, being offended by an act only empowers those that carry out the act.

I'd say Asians have a very different sensibility about it. It's not as if Chinese Americans weren't imported as slaves, suffered through yellow-face, continue to be white-washed in film roles, etc. It just doesn't offend me; I don't hold it against the majority white culture and people who committed the acts decades if not centuries ago.

There are actual, racist things today that are worthy of being offended by and if this is what black people want to get worked up about, then I think it's a waste of energy.

Police brutality. Income disparity. Institutional racism in housing, employment, education, policing. Holy shit, there's serious racism in the US and a white dude dressing up as Kanye is going to drive black Americans nuts?

And the double down

Shy

Stabbed myself in the gut, survived, other than that im ok. i suppose. how are you?
Wait, wut. on purpose or by accident. ?
Are you talking to someone that can help you with you problems. ?

You really worry me Jubei. Please don't do anything that you can't take back.

Bronx-Man

Banned
And of course PD comes in to talk about how we're all not really offended, we're just pretending to be for the sake of it!

I'm this close to just tapping out for the night.

neojubei

Wait, wut. on purpose or by accident. ?
Are you talking to someone that can help you with you problems. ?

You really worry me Jubei. Please don't do anything that you can't take back.
Don't worry man. When you think about it there are thousands of newborns come into this world each day and thousands who die each day. We are all just raindrops in the ocean. Whether I'm alive or not isn't important.

Numb

Don't worry man. When you think about it there are thousands of newborns come into this world each day and thousands who die each day. We are all just raindrops in the ocean. Whether I'm alive or not isn't important.
God dammit neo what bullshit are you spewing.
Stop it.
Stop.
2AM and can't handle it now.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Don't ever say that. You are just as important as any one of us. You matter here, and it would be a big loss for all of us if you were leave this world permanently.

neojubei

God dammit neo what bullshit are you spewing.
Stop it.
Stop.
2AM and can't handle it now.
Sorry if it helps any this is my mood now

b2yuzhS.gif

Don't ever say that. You are just as important as any one of us. You matter here, and it would be a big loss for all of us if you were leave this world permanently.

everyone has to die at some point. Would living a life of hell until 100 be better than living a wonderful life until 10?

Holy fuckign shit @ this.

This cop just destroys this high school girl

Jesus christ

https://www.facebook.com/shaunking/videos/937383839633868/

You can see how frozen everyone is.

From the comments on another video sharing the same thing

"She slammed her self first and it made it seem like the officer hurt her so he got pissed and dragged her ass. Watch it over and over again . He tried to grab her arm to handcuff her but she leaned back to get away and her ass fell back. Take responsibilities for your actions."

Shy

I was going to post this.

Read every letter of that post Jubei. Because we all care about you, and want you to feel better about yourself, and your situation to improve.

And of course PD comes in to talk about how we're all not really offended, we're just pretending to be for the sake of it!

I'm this close to just tapping out for the night.

breh

Well excuse me for breaking whatever united front you want. If this was me defending a blatant blackface stereotype costume sure, you could hand me an L and I'd deserve it. But I see no problem with that costume. I wouldn't even call it blackface.

Is the costume dumb? Sure. But I sense no ill will or narrative there.

RedSwirl

Might have gotten myself networked into a pretty good part-time gig. Telecommute, data entry, but the pay seems to be good. I'm not out the bucket yet but I'm at least not broke.

Oh, and I managed to make headway on my sleep cycle in the last couple weeks. It was pretty rough the first night when I went to bed around 10, went to sleep at 12, woke up a 2AM, and just laid there trying to get to sleep until 6. Now I'm something resembling normalcy.

Holy fuckign shit @ this.

This cop just destroys this high school girl

Jesus christ

https://www.facebook.com/shaunking/videos/937383839633868/

You can see how frozen everyone is.

Just saw this on the news tonight.

Shy

Might have gotten myself networked into a pretty good part-time gig. Telecommute, data entry, but the pay seems to be good. I'm not out the bucket yet but I'm at least not broke.
Noice.
Oh, and I managed to make headway on my sleep cycle in the last couple weeks. It was pretty rough the first night when I went to bed around 10, went to sleep at 12, woke up a 2AM, and just laid there trying to get to sleep until 6. Now I'm something resembling normalcy.
Double noice.

Numb

I ain't never seen a triple downing on something let alone quadruple or quintuple.
Bronx talking to wall and trying to have a discussion.

harSon

Banned
Those of you posting in the blackface thread, I am seriously impressed.

I'm too flabbergasted by the insane troll logic.

Some are probably going to catch a ban unfortunately.

I'll never understand the insistence on having a right to do blackface, or even suggesting that it's somehow needed to effectively convey someone's appearance - let alone its practice being incredibly ignorant and insensitive. It looks stupid as fuck (not just blackface, but any type of costuming that requires skin tone change), it's ignorant as fuck and it (rightfully) pisses people the fuck off. Apparently being told you can't do something without repercussion is the worst shit in the world.

The Adder

Banned

Jubes, you don't mind me calling you that, do you? Jubes? Jubes, I'm probably the single greatest thing to happen to the human race, if not the planet Earth itself, in its entire existence.

This, as you could probably guess, makes me fairly important. Probably THE definition of the word important, really. Which means my words, the things that I say and write, they're a pretty big deal.

So, when I say that yes, you do matter, know that I say it with a level of authority few words are spoken with. Or even CAN be spoken with.

After all, at the very least you have interacted with me and have had some effect, large or small, on shaping who I am at present. And in the grand scale of human acheivement, that's a pretty big one.

:D

(Sometimes you can fake it 'till you make it, man. And if you can't, well, faking it can be pretty fun. You take care of yourself. That's an order from man's greatest treasure.)

Numb

Jubei please get help.
Can only wish the best for him.
Jubes, listen to Adder. He knows things.
Some are probably going to catch a ban unfortunately.

I'll never understand the insistence on having a right to do blackface, or even suggesting that it's somehow needed to effectively convey someone's appearance - let alone its practice being incredibly ignorant and insensitive. It looks stupid as fuck (not just blackface, but any type of costuming that requires skin tone change), it's ignorant as fuck and it (rightfully) pisses people the fuck off. Apparently being told you can't do something without repercussion is the worst shit in the world.

Looks real ugly too.
It's halloween so it should be cool tho. It is never cool.

Jubei, bro, you gotta talk to someone. Anyone. Anyone that will keep you from going through a door you can't return from.

Glad I wasn't around for that blackface thread. Looks like it moved fast as hell.

Though, CharlieDigital's post gave me a good laugh.

zeemumu

Program's fully up and running. Oh boy, my first non-"choose your own adventure" game.

Just gonna spend this calculus study session doing exception handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom