• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

It’s just outrage culture, I feel. Not remotely certain they mean it, but it does make them look terrible at the end of the day.

I agree completely. Lol I was being facetious because its so dang clear they really don't mean any of it and this is just another angry hypothetical they;re pretending to fight.

D i Z

It's that time of the year where every white nerd journalist complains on a podcast about EA sports and driving games presentations even existing. It's been none stop all week with the navel gazing.
And not a word about any expectations for something new, or an opinion about the last years games.

LionPride

Banned
It's that time of the year where every white nerd journalist complains on a podcast about EA sports and driving games presentations even existing.
"UGH WHO CARES ABOUT MADDEN OR FIFA OR NBA IT'S THE SAME GAME EVERY YEAR!"

Annoying asses

Thankfully the couple of gaming pods I listen to are black or black with a white cohost, and the white cohost plays Fifa and the others just don't care beyond making fun of people who just buy Madden every year

It's that time of the year where every white nerd journalist complains on a podcast about EA sports and driving games presentations even existing. It's been none stop all week with the navel gazing.
And not a word about any expectations for something new, or an opinion about the last years games.
I dont see why you're making it a white only thing, sports segment is why EA's presentation will always be without a doubt the worst one (although ubi does come close sometimes)

Get rid of the sports segment, its trash 🚮

D i Z

I dont see why you're making it a white only thing, sports segment is why EA's presentation will always be without a doubt the worst one (although ubi does come close sometimes)

Get rid of the sports segment, its trash ��

Because all of the detractors on podcasts year after year are white nerds that hate sports? Notice how I didn't ever say "only" and that also is a commentary about who is on podcasts that have something to say about their outlets E3 output to begin with.

Also, Pelé earned his respect decades ago. That stage should be there for the greats.

LionPride

Banned
DISHONOR ON YOU
DISHONOR ON YOUR FAMILY
DISHONOR ON YOUR MOTHAFUCKIN COW
The movie seems more like a movie made so white people in the 90s can feel sympathy for black people in the hood

Not a fan

Now it's not like Baby Boy or Belly, those movies have no quality

Boyz in the Hood does but I have my reasons for fucking hating it

The movie seems more like a movie made so white people in the 90s can feel sympathy for black people in the hood

Not a fan

Now it's not like Baby Boy or Belly, those movies have no quality

Boyz in the Hood does but I have my reasons for fucking hating it

WAT. STAHP!!

Bruh, what do you like!? I need to know.

akira28

hey, young people have contrarian movie opinions. its never as cool as the new stuff. it takes time to appreciate the actual time and cultural context of the work. They have to see more other things. Worse things.

Fawful , stay full, keep your head up and your mind on better things.

example, sweet white plums are in season. as are red if you like those.

edit: that's an interesting opinion though Lion. What makes you think its a film to make white people feel sorry for black people? do you think its exaggerated or too stylized or what?

LionPride

Banned
hey, young people have contrarian movie opinions. its never as cool as the new stuff. it takes time to appreciate the actual time and cultural context of the work. They have to see more other things. Worse things. Better things.
And I've seen a lot of good and bad

Something good or great doesn't need a cultural context to be seen as good or great

akira28

And I've seen a lot of good and bad

Something good or great doesn't need a cultural context to be seen as good or great

to truly appreciate the greatness you do have to let it marinate and see other things around it to really compare the contrast well. at first I was speaking generally, but now I'm interested. what's your problem with Boyz in the Hood?

LionPride's a baby boy
He not the real McCoy
He been rompin' these streets

Hey he's the new clan, let the brother speak. we got to listen before we can preach.

LionPride

Banned
to truly appreciate the greatness you do have to let it marinate and see other things around it to really compare the contrast well. at first I was speaking generally, but now I'm interested. what's your problem with Boyz in the Hood?
None of the movie seems genuine. It seems like a buncha heavy handed shit meant for the purpose of being a movie to get white people to get a glimpse into the lives of those living in the hood. It ends up coming across as preachy, Laurence Fishburne did well though.

D i Z

None of the movie seems genuine. It seems like a buncha heavy handed shit meant for the purpose of being a movie to get white people to get a glimpse into the lives of those living in the hood. It ends up coming across as preachy, Laurence Fishburne did well though.

Not judging at all, but if you could go into what you see a little further, it might help this discussion get into some interesting dissection. Reserving my own thoughts until you break it down a lil bit more if you care to.

akira28

So you think John Singleton made the movie for white folks? why? Have you seen him say that or someone else indicate it? Or is it just how the movie looks to you? Preachy (what's preached?) and heavy handed. (the violence? the way life in the neighborhood is shown?)

and...just a seriously random shot in the dark, did you by chance see the comedy parody first?

LionPride

Banned
Not judging at all, but if you could go into what you see a little further, it might help this discussion get into some interesting dissection. Reserving my own thoughts until you break it down a lil bit more if you care to.
It's just

I don't know how to verbalize it

Like, the movie just always came off to me as fake. Like it was trying to be something it's not. From the beginning with 10 year old Trey all the way to the end of the movie it seems fake. Then it seems so so preachy and heavy handed in it's message about avoiding gang life.

The character of doughboy specifically irks me.

Just the whole movie has rubbed me the wrong way since I watched it as a youngin

Watched it about 6 or 7 times not a fan

So you think John Singleton made the movie for white folks? why? Have you seen him say that or someone else indicate it? Or is it just how the movie looks to you? Preachy (what's preached?) and heavy handed. (the violence? the way life in the neighborhood is shown?)

and...just a seriously random shot in the dark, did you by chance see the comedy parody first?
It's just a feeling I gog

Also what comedy parody

akira28

hm. *shrug* oh yeah the waynans did a parody that incorporated a few elements from all those movies. I think they included the iconic driveby from boyz but its been a while since i've seen it.

well I guess I can't say much to that. If its just a feeling. I thought he made the movie for black audiences, since especially back then "black movies" were for "black people" etc, and white people would absorb it into culture on video over time. And it didn't seem like it was trying to be a anti-gang cautionary public service announcement type movie either. I never got that vibe. I did think they tried to be as raw and explicit as hollywood would allow, while trying to get the story across in the rarely shown setting.

LionPride

Banned
hm. *shrug* oh yeah the waynans did a parody that incorporated a few elements from all those movies. I think they included the iconic driveby from boyz but its been a while since i've seen it.

well I guess I can't say much to that. If its just a feeling. I thought he made the movie for black audiences, since especially back then "black movies" were for "black people" etc, and white people would absorb it into culture on video over time. And it didn't seem like it was trying to be a anti-gang cautionary public service announcement type movie either. I never got that vibe. I did think they tried to be as raw and explicit as hollywood would allow, while trying to get the story across in the rarely shown setting.
Oh Don't be a Menace

I always associated it mainly with being a parody of just black films at the time period

It's just a feeling I get with the movie every time I watch it.

akira28

on cable. that's why historical and cultural context matters. no one would have guessed that the movie was a sympathy tale for white people about life in the ghetto. that's an interesting angle, but unfortunately you haven't given me much to go on for discussing it.

its hot i'm going to go get me some pineapple sherbet and pour some ginger ale into it.

Faustek

Hmm, haven't watched Boyz n the hood in ages. Remember loving it when it came and maybe watched it 5-6 times since. Need to watch it again to see if it holds up.
Think it does but I never ever even consider that angle.

"UGH WHO CARES ABOUT MADDEN OR FIFA OR NBA IT'S THE SAME GAME EVERY YEAR!"

Annoying asses

Thankfully the couple of gaming pods I listen to are black or black with a white cohost, and the white cohost plays Fifa and the others just don't care beyond making fun of people who just buy Madden every year

Fill me in. Only gaming podcasts with a Black person I kinda follow is Super best friends.

Actually fill me in on everything you can recommend and if anyone knows what happened to So Well Spoken? Remember adding it to the rotation but they removed all the episodes. Now some are back but the 25(?) first are still gone.

LionPride

Banned
Hmm, haven't watched Boyz n the hood in ages. Remember loving it when it came and maybe watched it 5-6 times since. Need to watch it again to see if it holds up.
Think it does but I never ever even consider that angle.

Fill me in. Only gaming podcasts with a Black person I kinda follow is Super best friends.
Dense Pixels
Used to listen to Gaming and Then Some
The High Score for pure dumbassery

LionPride

Banned
on cable. that's why historical and cultural context matters. no one would have guessed that the movie was a sympathy tale for white people about life in the ghetto. that's an interesting angle, but unfortunately you haven't given me much to go on for discussing it.

its hot i'm going to go get me some pineapple sherbet and pour some ginger ale into it.
It's honestly just what I see in it, I don't judge folks for liking the movie. Folks like what they like. I only judge people for liking Wale and stanning for Eminem in 2017.

LionPride

Banned
Thanks. Will look them up.
Shit you want more?

2 Dope Queens
Black Astronauts Podcast
Black Men Can't Jump(In Hollywood)
Black on Black Cinema
Bodega Boys
Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All Time Period
Double Toasted
Fiyastarter
Jenkins and Jonez
Larry Wilmore
Mickstape
MTR Network
Road Trippin by Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye
TBGWT
Chicken Social
Nerdpocalypse
The Read
Three Fifs
WM40A

akira28

It's honestly just what I see in it, I don't judge folks for liking the movie. Folks like what they like. I only judge people for liking Wale and stanning for Eminem in 2017.

that's cool. do you see why people might disagree with your take away though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom