• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faustek

Shit you want more?

2 Dope Queens
Black Astronauts Podcast
Black Men Can't Jump(In Hollywood)
Black on Black Cinema
Bodega Boys
Denzel Washington is the Greatest Actor of All Time Period
Double Toasted
Fiyastarter
Jenkins and Jonez
Larry Wilmore
Mickstape
MTR Network
Road Trippin by Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye
TBGWT
Chicken Social
Nerdpocalypse
The Read
Three Fifs
WM40A

.. How the hell do you have time to listen to all this? Thanks btw

D i Z

It's honestly just what I see in it, I don't judge folks for liking the movie. Folks like what they like. I only judge people for liking Wale and stanning for Eminem in 2017.

I've got a ton to say about this subject, but I don't think that I could say what I want to say effectively over a few text blurbs here. Recognizing how far removed you would be from L.A during the 80's thru the 90's (shit America at the time) I wouldn't expect you to see that reality. I can tell you from a first hand lived in account, that you're completely off base on this one. Gonna have to figure out a way to express this the right way, without actually walking you thru it is... an oddity.

LionPride

Banned
.. How the hell do you have time to listen to all this? Thanks btw
Those are just the ones with black people, I ain't even list out other sport pods or movies or general interests

I work/do school work/play video games/read/exercise a lot

Good way to make time go by is to listen to podcasts

I've got a ton to say about this subject, but I don't think that I could say what I want to say effectively over a few text blurbs here. Recognizing how far removed you would be from L.A during the 80's thru the 90's (shit America at the time) I wouldn't expect you to see that reality. I can tell you from a first hand lived in account, that your completely off base on this one.
I admit I probably am

I just have never had a positive vibe while watching the movie. It just never seemed genuine to me. That's it.

akira28

Yeah, I ain't got no problem with that.

i mean the logic. literally why people would say no it was not made for white people. not that you're ok with people not agreeing. i mean do you understand their reasoning?

but no worry, the only judgement will be that you're young. but how does that come off without being a tiny bit condescending or ageist? recognizing the benefit of experience is strange when it happens.

LionPride

Banned
i mean the logic. literally why people would say no it was not made for white people. not that you're ok with people not agreeing. i mean do you understand their reasoning?
Yeah, I've never said I didn't. I have my opinion mainly based off of a personal feeling of mine every single time I watch the movie.

I understand their logic and reasoning.

Growing up in a pretty bad area myself, I have my own experiences in life that just may have led me to viewing the movie the way I do

D i Z

I just have never had a positive vibe while watching the movie. It just never seemed genuine to me. That's it.

Wasn't supposed to give positive vibes. It was the reality of life for a lot of us. That was where we were. And how we lost people.

akira28

*shrug* well it is a movie. i guess its bound to seem fake on some level. but I don't understand your synopsis or the logic Lion. lol

i guess we'll have to leave it at that. you're not exactly forthcoming :p

LionPride

Banned
Wasn't supposed to give positive vibes. It was the reality of life for a lot of us. That was were we were. And how we lost people.
Not positive as in happy times

Positive as in, it didn't seem like ot was a genuine effort. Not the portrayal, but everything else. Just something always seemed iffy about it. Like, you ever be around someone and something about them seemed wrong from the moment you met them? Like that feeling but for an entire movie you've seen 7 times since you were 9.

I'm also tired as fuck after being up since 6 and working all day so excuse my lack of depth in anything I'm saying

D i Z

Not positive as in happy times

Positive as in, it didn't seem like ot was a genuine effort. Not the portrayal, but everything else. Just something always seemed iffy about it. Like, you ever be around someone and something about them seemed wrong from the moment you met them? Like that feeling but for an entire movie you've seen 7 times since you were 9.

I'm also tired as fuck after being up since 6 and working all day so excuse my lack of depth in anything I'm saying

We can pick this up some other time if you want.

LionPride

Banned
We can pick this up some other time if you want.
Maybe

Most of my argument comes down to a personal opinion based off of not only my own experiences growing up in a shitty place, but just a feeling I get while watching the film

It's a quality film in terms of pure filmmaking. Just not a personal fan.

I can't let this shit slide when Paid in Full exist.

And Friday.

And don't be a menace to society while drinking your juice in the hood.
Friday is fucking hilarious

Zekes!

Here in British Columbia our election in early May resulted in a hung parliament too. The seats in our house were divided 43-41-3 with 44 needed for the majority. A week ago it was decided that our Green party (who have 3 seats) would support our New Democratic Party (41) in forming a minority government, toppling our Liberal party (who had 43) who have been in power for 16 years.

Faustek

No love for Kid N play? Smh, I was a proud member of the flattop nation.

I work/do school work/play video games/read/exercise a lot

Remove school and its my life and I do not have time for all that. Gym time is gym music time.

Naps?
I've heard of those

Those things are horrible. You'll get extra energy to do stuff. Absolutely horrible.

I can't let this shit slide when Paid in Full exist.

And Friday.

And don't be a menace to society while drinking your juice in the hood.

I have this bad movie shelf that's all about the Wayans brother's. I love it.

you guys are forgetting one of the best and most underrated 'hood" movies

Fresh (1994)

👊🏾👊🏾👊🏾

andthebeatgoeson

Maybe

Most of my argument comes down to a personal opinion based off of not only my own experiences growing up in a shitty place, but just a feeling I get while watching the film

It's a quality film in terms of pure filmmaking. Just not a personal fan.

Friday is fucking hilarious
Wait, you like Friday but think Boys in the hood was made for white people? I can't read the intent of the makers but it's been the exact opposite in real life. Some white people love Friday and, it seems like, Boys in the hood was ignored because it was too real. But maybe white people are sinister like that? Appropriating a product not meant for them (Friday) but holding secret Boys in the hood view parties. I can't confirm.

😐
🤔

But seriously, at the time, Boys was seen, by our generation, as our black film. We could get into a discussion about gangster rap and it's reality but it won't make a difference. I claim black people and the hood when i haven't lived in the hood for 20+ years. I don't believe ice cube has fired an AK at another man but i see Boys to be the vehicle to tell a story. The film helped launch Fishburn's career and spoke a lot of truth. The context was that there was little outlet for black 'any art' and gangster rap was that outlet. It got publicity and probably helped they movie get made.

Everytime you see black artists struggle for recognition, remember that Boys in the Hood was that hill we decided to 'die' on in the early 90's. It was our generational cultural moment. It was banned in some theaters, as if that's a thing now. You don't see that anymore but the atmosphere was racist as fuck back then. 'Oh, negroes will shoot at every screening' was a reportable story and just plain bullshit.

It was a black movie through and through. I don't remember any white acceptance. Not to knock you but white acceptance of boys in the hood is close to 'white acceptance of Martin Luther King Jr'. No, that did not happen and as i write this out I've arrived at why I'm feeling some type of way.

That did not happen in the early 90's and i need some receipts to go forward. It was a black movie conceived and delivered as a black movie and received as a black movie. My mom was scared for me to go and everything.

Think this might be relevant to this thread interests ...

DB4Y7OGVwAAdFie.jpg:large

Teaser trailer tonight before Game4 i think!

LionPride

Banned
Wait, what's wrong with Wale? The hell happened in here
Nigga can't fucking sing and does that shit too much
Wait, you like Friday but think Boys in the hood was made for white people? I can't read the intent of the makers but it's been the exact opposite in real life. Some white people love Friday and, it seems like, Boys in the hood was ignored because it was too real. But maybe white people are sinister like that? Appropriating a product not meant for them (Friday) but holding secret Boys in the hood view parties. I can't confirm.

😐
🤔

But seriously, at the time, Boys was seen, by our generation, as our black film. We could get into a discussion about gangster rap and it's reality but it won't make a difference. I claim black people and the hood when i haven't lived in the hood for 20+ years. I don't believe ice cube has fired an AK at another man but i see Boys to be the vehicle to tell a story. The film helped launch Fishburn's career and spoke a lot of truth. The context was that there was little outlet for black 'any art' and gangster rap was that outlet. It got publicity and probably helped they movie get made.

Everytime you see black artists struggle for recognition, remember that Boys in the Hood was that hill we decided to 'die' on in the early 90's. It was our generational cultural moment. It was banned in some theaters, as if that's a thing now. You don't see that anymore but the atmosphere was racist as fuck back then. 'Oh, negroes will shoot at every screening' was a reportable story and just plain bullshit.

It was a black movie through and through. I don't remember any white acceptance. Not to knock you but white acceptance of boys in the hood is close to 'white acceptance of Martin Luther King Jr'. No, that did not happen and as i write this out I've arrived at why I'm feeling some type of way.

That did not happen in the early 90's and i need some receipts to go forward. It was a black movie conceived and delivered as a black movie and received as a black movie. My mom was scared for me to go and everything.
As I stated a lot of my opinion comes from the fact something feels off about the movie. Friday feels genuine, Boomerang feels genuine, Waiting to Exhale seems genuine, Juice seems genuine, Set it Off seems genuine, Do the Right Thing seems genuine, but every time I watch Boyz and then I would read contemporary reviews, it just seemed like white people were astonished as to how blacks were living like that and that feeling that the movie was made with the intention of doubling as a black film and also as a film for white people to have a peek into how rough hood life can be has never left.

Also that movie made 56.2 million in America on a 16 million budget and critics adored it

And I'll admit

A lot of the reason I feel this way is having white people come up to me over the last couple years saying "What you don't like Boyz n the Hood?! But the movie showed me what you go through so well"

Shit like that bugged me and made me feel some type of way

Mornin' everyone...

__
Man... Movies like, Boys in the Hood, Menace II Society, South Central all that shit was a full on depiction of what some of us been through and how probably a few of us grew up. See that shit was raw, it was real and it was a painful truth to it. Shit even Poetic Justice, that black love we rarely see black love anymore.

John Singleton did not make Boys In The Hood for white people. Its just but so much I can put through a frustrating post of text. The movie was about growing up black. The era black movies being released 80's - 90s when so much shit was going on, maaan,ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/talking-about-boyz-n-the-hood-with-its-director-john-singleton

Suss this link if you like @LP.

Aisha Tyler not hosting the Ubisoft conference this year? Guess I'm skipping it

She's the only interesting person out there. Shame. What Ubi got to show anyway?

LionPride

Banned
I guess I shouldn't have said made for white people, just that it was made, and a lot of white people started to think they understood how I've lived in the hood growing up. Never sat right with me.

zeemumu

Hey Slayven, doesn't Wally refusing to abuse his power to give Zolomon his legs back contradict Zolomon's belief that Flash doesn't know what hardship is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom