• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video game stans are a lot like political stans. you will see the most illogical leaps of logic coming out of those conversations. just got to accept humanity is the animal that thinks it is logical when it is not

lol, I hope banhammer-szn is back after all the sand has settled.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So my girlfriend comes to me crying, saying that she needs to get out of her job.

My girl works for the Department of Corrections (DOC) in Minnesota, as a Department of Justice (DOJ) Coordinator. She does stuff like crime victim services, offender/victim dialogs, and offender risk assessment.

She wants to make a difference in the system. Having dealt with offenders both men and women in all of the prisons in MN, she's worked on programs that help offenders get educated, and try to be positive role models for other prisoners, so when they get out, they're able to get their lives in order, and be productive in society. She's had victims talk with prisoners, so that offenders can hold themselves accountable for not just the crimes that they've committed, but also the impacts that they've had in their community. She's worked with organizations out of state, that lobby for programs that are made available for offenders who are released from prison, so they're not entering society, with no tools to get their lives started again. Access to housing. Access to jobs. Access to health care.

Problem is that not everyone is on the same page with this. She has a boss that shoots her down at every turn. She isn't allowed to go to trainings and seminars that help her network with other folks like her to exchange information. She'll propose ideas and programs that could work for victims to get information for services that they didn't even know that they had access to, but gets denied. She deals with correctional officers who won't let her see prisoners because they don't like them, or don't like her,

Then there's the prisons. Every barbaric thing that you've heard about them is true. Prison rape happens. COs being on the take happens. Wardens looking the other way while prisoners aren't getting help in prison hospitals happens. Offenders can be put segregation, and it doesn't necessarily get logged. Prisoners can disappear in a hole for a week, and only the CO that covers their sector knows about it. And they get paid so little for the work they do inside prison, that it can take several days for you to make enough money to afford a phone call to your family.

And then there's the fact that if you're a convicted felon, you're basically a second class citizen. Doesn't matter that you robbed a store, or are addicted to crack, or that you messed with a prostitute, or got into a drunken fistfight at the bar. You now have the cards stacked against you on a constitutional level, and it's going to be MUCH harder for you to pursue life, liberty, and happiness.

But the part that is crushing her, is that her funding is going away. Federal cuts have started coming down the pipe. They're cutting justice programs. Those services that victims had access to? Stuff like financial compensation for violent crimes so you can pay for the funeral and burial of your wife who was killed in a robbery? That will go away. Programs that put prospective employers in contact with low risk-level offenders so they can start working when they get out of prison? Gone. No money from Washington also means less money on the state level. MN is huge business when it comes to incarceration. Lots of money and energy is going into how to put more people in prisons, or put restriction devices on outgoing prisoners like ankle bracelets. But what about helping the offenders not offend again? Where's the money for helping them become productive citizens? Where's the funding towards helping the victims heal?

It's become to much for her. She no longer thinks she can make a change - there's too much of an infrastructure there for her to fight against. She feels like she's beating her head against the wall. I HATE seeing her like this. I don't particularly like her work. I don't like that she goes to places like Stillwater and Oak Park Heights, and is around people who have murdered other people. But I also know that what she does is important. I just make sure computers talk to each other and that servers get backed up. She tries to help people. And now she wants to walk away from that.

Zaverious

People still stan for ps+ online play. I just don't get it fam. :(

Edit: Saw the post above me. It sucks to lose faith in something you believe in and want to make a difference on. To see it happen gradually is the worst feeling.

akira28

mr jones, I believe your girl has got to get out and get into activism. She isn't going to be able to make any reasonable change in the current environment. its like trying to swim up a waterfall. she has gravity, the current, and everything else to contend with. The prison system in America wants to be privatized if you ask anyone in leadership. That means less rules, and even more money made off of tax payers and citizen lives, but now going into bottomless privatized pockets. And they will only want more, of everything.

I think she will be well served by connecting with groups that are trying to lobby and work against the privatized prison complex. She will definitely be working towards change, and her insight will be priceless.

and she might even feel better.

We got a racist in charge of the DOJ right now, he's not going to be interested in making things any better for anyone in the system.

Faustek

That's why I prefer Scandinavian prisoners. I prefer when we forget to lock them up in the night and they "break out" to make mudcake cake and watch movies before going back to their cells.

Also the first line in what Akira28 wrote. That job will deaden her inside. She needs to put number 1 first here. Herself.

Gattsu25

Banned
So they really gonna stick to calling it Xbox Scorpio apparently.

They should. It's a great name.
So my girlfriend comes to me crying, saying that she needs to get out of her job.

My girl works for the Department of Corrections (DOC) in Minnesota, as a Department of Justice (DOJ) Coordinator. She does stuff like crime victim services, offender/victim dialogs, and offender risk assessment.

She wants to make a difference in the system. Having dealt with offenders both men and women in all of the prisons in MN, she's worked on programs that help offenders get educated, and try to be positive role models for other prisoners, so when they get out, they're able to get their lives in order, and be productive in society. She's had victims talk with prisoners, so that offenders can hold themselves accountable for not just the crimes that they've committed, but also the impacts that they've had in their community. She's worked with organizations out of state, that lobby for programs that are made available for offenders who are released from prison, so they're not entering society, with no tools to get their lives started again. Access to housing. Access to jobs. Access to health care.

Problem is that not everyone is on the same page with this. She has a boss that shoots her down at every turn. She isn't allowed to go to trainings and seminars that help her network with other folks like her to exchange information. She'll propose ideas and programs that could work for victims to get information for services that they didn't even know that they had access to, but gets denied. She deals with correctional officers who won't let her see prisoners because they don't like them, or don't like her,

Then there's the prisons. Every barbaric thing that you've heard about them is true. Prison rape happens. COs being on the take happens. Wardens looking the other way while prisoners aren't getting help in prison hospitals happens. Offenders can be put segregation, and it doesn't necessarily get logged. Prisoners can disappear in a hole for a week, and only the CO that covers their sector knows about it. And they get paid so little for the work they do inside prison, that it can take several days for you to make enough money to afford a phone call to your family.

And then there's the fact that if you're a convicted felon, you're basically a second class citizen. Doesn't matter that you robbed a store, or are addicted to crack, or that you messed with a prostitute, or got into a drunken fistfight at the bar. You now have the cards stacked against you on a constitutional level, and it's going to be MUCH harder for you to pursue life, liberty, and happiness.

But the part that is crushing her, is that her funding is going away. Federal cuts have started coming down the pipe. They're cutting justice programs. Those services that victims had access to? Stuff like financial compensation for violent crimes so you can pay for the funeral and burial of your wife who was killed in a robbery? That will go away. Programs that put prospective employers in contact with low risk-level offenders so they can start working when they get out of prison? Gone. No money from Washington also means less money on the state level. MN is huge business when it comes to incarceration. Lots of money and energy is going into how to put more people in prisons, or put restriction devices on outgoing prisoners like ankle bracelets. But what about helping the offenders not offend again? Where's the money for helping them become productive citizens? Where's the funding towards helping the victims heal?

It's become to much for her. She no longer thinks she can make a change - there's too much of an infrastructure there for her to fight against. She feels like she's beating her head against the wall. I HATE seeing her like this. I don't particularly like her work. I don't like that she goes to places like Stillwater and Oak Park Heights, and is around people who have murdered other people. But I also know that what she does is important. I just make sure computers talk to each other and that servers get backed up. She tries to help people. And now she wants to walk away from that.

She sounds like a great woman. The system crushes people like her :(

akira28

watching our friends in the sandbox reacting to gaf, and the recent posts from thread leadership, it seems a lot of those people who felt the board was becoming a 'politically correct hive mind echo chamber' are now feeling some vindication.

Either way we're probably in for some chop. So I'm expecting even more fuckery in threads, fuckery of a certain type as people try to acclimate to whatever this new setting is going to be.

Just stay safe out there. I have fewer allies than I thought, but I appreciate the ones that I do have. And like someone else said, as far as allies are concerned, I don't have to accept everything that comes my way.

watching our friends in the sandbox reacting to gaf, and the recent posts from thread leadership, it seems a lot of those people who felt the board was becoming a 'politically correct hive mind echo chamber' are now feeling some vindication.

Either way we're probably in for some chop. So I'm expecting even more fuckery in threads, fuckery of a certain type as people try to acclimate to whatever this new setting is going to be.

Just stay safe out there. I have fewer allies than I thought, but I appreciate the ones that I do have. And like someone else said, as far as allies are concerned, I don't have to accept everything that comes my way.

The only allies I have are the ones in here and some out in the rest of GAF. And that is a very small "some".

akira28

my sister has been doing the family genealogy, just got some info about our white ancestors, going back to the 1500s...

going to have to bom shiva on this one.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

I must have been sleeping on this. Link?

D i Z

It didn't take long for the word to spread. It's going to be wild as shit out there from here on out. We knew that this year was going to be one for the books though.

Imm0rt4l

The system is the problem. It simply doesn't work. I rmemeber seeing Angela Davis in college, she spoke on many things and one of those things was the abolishment of prisons. Back then I could empathize with it in theory, but I see now just how necessary it is. Yeah it's radical and something need a yo take it's place, but reforming the shit simply won't work. Not with the People in it, not with the special interests-- there's always going to be a vestige of white supremacy that will allow for This system of fuckshit to fester flourish. Good luck to her, props to her for really trying to make a difference even if it is for naught.

akira28

The only allies I have are the ones in here and some out in the rest of GAF. And that is a very small "some".

yeah the idea is when you need help you take what you can get, right? well that doesn't work here, and it didn't work back then either. Anyone can claim to be an ally, but those folks during the civil struggles put more than their words on the line.

Today we got so, so many claims. People even grabbing the reins away and doing the most, telling you how they're going to be your ally. It don't work. It may take a couple decades. But the fight is coming back, I feel. The fight, not just the struggle.

Slayven

Ugh, what he do now

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...inton-campaign-they-spent-money-on-themselves
CNN commentator Van Jones ripped the Clinton campaign and the DNC during his speech at The People's Summit in Chicago on Saturday for wasting money and failing to reach out to working-class and minority voters.
yeah the idea is when you need help you take what you can get, right? well that doesn't work here, and it didn't work back then either. Anyone can claim to be an ally, but those folks during the civil struggles put more than their words on the line.

Today we got so, so many claims. People even grabbing the reins away and doing the most, telling you how they're going to be your ally. It don't work. It may take a couple decades. But the fight is coming back, I feel. The fight, not just the struggle.

2016 and 2017 are telling you exactly "Allies" aren't worth anything unless they walk the walk. Talk means nothign especially when they talking out both sides of their mouths

Malyse

Ken Akamatsu seriously had us read almost 140 chapters of UQ Holder to get the true ending of Negima. Ain't that some shit.

I just hope we have a lot of fight for what's to come......

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...inton-campaign-they-spent-money-on-themselves

2016 and 2017 are telling you exactly "Allies" aren't worth anything unless they walk the walk. Talk means nothign especially when they talking out both sides of their mouths

Exactly. Nothing but a bunch of two-time backstabbers.

Yep. With "allies" like those out there, you damn sure don't need enemies.

Tell me about it.

Beefy

They doing too much

Why that thread get shut down?

DCEGAECXUAI3K09

LotusHD

Banned
I hope so! Tired of enjoying code names only for them to be ripped away for some foolishness.

Where's my Morpheus!

The Scorpio part is whatever to me, but it seems dumb to forgo the "One" part of it. I wouldn't risk potentially confusing/alienating the average consumer, because according to what I've been (i.e. the Wii U) told repeatedly, it's apparently very easy to do.

The Scorpio part is whatever to me, but it seems dumb to forgo the "One" part of it. I wouldn't risk potentially confusing/alienating the average consumer, because according to what I've been (i.e. the Wii U), it's very easy to do.
I think it's on purpose to tru and misdirect people into thinking it's a new console since the One name didn't get the carry.

LotusHD

Banned
I think it's on purpose to tru and misdirect people into thinking it's a new console since the One name didn't get the carry.

I suppose that works. "Trick" them into buying a new console that can play your XB1 games anyways. I'mma laugh if I ever read about someone wondering where the Scorpio games are at lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom