• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

How much of Black Panther will be Giffed for Black Twitter?

1445355050569_700.jpg

akira28

i am just waiting for the meme gifs with the dude with the lip plate. he looks like he doesn't just hold receipts, he prints them out.

Watching the clip with him and Maher now. Shit is so uncomfortable for Cube because the way that audience reacted you can tell and he could tell that he got brought on to say "apology accepted". Like he just needed any hood certified black celeb to sign off on his garbage.

Made me really, really uncomfortable.

Slayven

Watching the clip with him and Maher now. Shit is so uncomfortable for Cube because the way that audience reacted you can tell and he could tell that he got brought on to say "apology accepted". Like he just needed any hood certified black celeb to sign off on his garbage.

I am glade Cube said what he said, but at the same time it doesn't matter. Maher just wanted to take his licks and move on, learning nothing from the experience. Cube could have read the Tampa Bay phone book and it would have amounted to the same thing to Maher

Shy

Same. And Maher's dismissal, and the audience's reaction to him trying to make jokes during it, made the feeling worse.

Enzom21

Everything Maher did during this episode was part of his "mea culpa" act.
From the "I am just a poor sinner" nonsense during the open to the "evolving" bullshit.

When Cube brought up the redneck jokes Maher says, he dropped the act for a second, that was the real Maher. I still say he was forced to apologize and he would have dug his heels in if HBO hadn't forced him to.

---
Why are there four Dragonheart films?!
MV5BMTgyODc5MGMtYTI4MS00ZTM2LTk0ODYtODQ2ZjIxNTM5MDBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUxNjc5NjY@._V1_.jpg

Slayven

Did the Black Panther trailer change this dude?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mzTnJKq0qI

Everything Maher did during this episode was part of his "mea culpa" act.
From the "I am just a poor sinner" nonsense during the open to the "evolving" bullshit.

When Cube brought up the redneck jokes Maher says, he dropped the act for a second, that was the real Maher. I still say he was forced to apologize and he would have dug his heels in if HBO hadn't forced him to.

---
Why are there four Dragonheart films?!
MV5BMTgyODc5MGMtYTI4MS00ZTM2LTk0ODYtODQ2ZjIxNTM5MDBmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUxNjc5NjY@._V1_.jpg

For a Thespian, Patrick Stewart has been in some shit

Biggest reason nobody uses it in my house, really. Don't care if you're trying to use it as a term of endearment now.

Nah, not in my home, I know what people will use that word to do.

I'm with you, I'm past my youth where I thought it was cool to do so. I also don't subscribe to the theory that nigga and nigger are different.

IrishNinja

okay so i'm a bit drunk but i wanna get into some shit here, if ya'l will indulge me

i'm about the whitest dude in MIA & white flight cleared out most of us long ago, but you'd not know that from attitudes out here

by trade, i'm a firefighter/medic, but i got cut during the economic crisis about 10 years ago. i spent a few years working as a private medic after that, but there's no union so it's a shit job

to put myself through college in the day, i landed a job with my university's public safety dept - and years later, i was offered a gig basically doing security with said PD. it's a very small dept in a big city, but they mostly treat me well.

i've spent literally a decade waiting on my 1st choice FD to open up again - they cover all the right districts, they have a strong union, i'd not lose this job when trump/GOP makes this economy go tits up again/etc. and right now, i'm further in the process with them than i've ever been: passed the physical, submit my background, passed the psych etc. just waiting on the medical & a contract.

but years ago, while waiting, i debated working for this small PD - but i got in some trouble back then, and then ferguson happened & i saw another side of people i'd worked with for years and turned a blind eye to, and realized i could never be a cop. it's ugly, y'all....ive seen people on the "them" side literally had calls for backup delayed.

so on the low, i've worked with the closest BLM chapter we have - protested, supported, actively showed interest in helping start a chapter here in my hometown. but because i'm still in said background process, i've had to lay low.

...but it's been 10 goddamn years. a big part of me feels like that jigga line about "you are who you are before you got here" and i don't like biting my tongue so much, nevermind i'm reminded how if i'm gonna even try to be an "ally" than it's important i call out bullshit where i see it, right? but this place...it's the THIN BLUE LINE shit. i literally can't see winning hearts & minds here.

but i also can't help but wonder if my rationalizing that shit like "oh, i'll do more good when i'm past this" means not stepping up where it's hardest & maybe showing others it's okay to not ride for the same bullshit this place does. the few i care about enough to share this with tell me i'm doing right to lay low, but i can't help but feel it's cowardly: process/reality or not, i don't think i should only ride for shit when it's convenient. like, if i was on a call and saw actual injustice, i'd step in - but by not saying shit when recklessness is tossed about casually, do i not enable an environment for that to happen?

what do y'all think?

I remember pumping my fist extra high in the air once my CAW came to his senses in that junkyard fight near the end. Can't write drama that good.

it's crazy cause i would've accepted far less in a series with a lineup like that, yeah

I can't say if you're doing the right thing Ninja, but you prolly doing the smarter thing. It's a fucked up world we live in, with an even more fucked up government backing it. As important as it is to help those in need and to get some changes made, you're really not helping anyone in general by making your own situation worse. I definitely get the internal struggle you're facing, but sometimes you have to look at reality for what it is.

Plus, you're doing your part to help locally with BLM protests/support/etc, which is a lot more than some other allies can say.

Good luck with that job screening, btw.

Tkb1nMH.gif

Hope they don't find out you a Shenmue fan
it's crazy cause i would've accepted far less in a series with a lineup like that, yeah

I had no expectations, and they blew me away. Damn shame there was no third game in the series.

IrishNinja

i know people hate, but ICON let me hit TI and recruit Mike Jones (WHO?!)

real talk: FFNY's biggest flaw was that vendetta kept DMX

Morning, everyone. I thought I was lucky but guess not, oh well. Moving on with life. In other news, that thread about that preacher advocating rape is bringing out interesting characters.

Good morning all.

Crimson, Frozen, and Lightning I was hit with a PSN message bug so I'm not getting notifications of any messages on my PS4, mobile app, or the website client. :\ I know I was planning to play some OW with most of you all especially with double XP weekend.

Afternoon fam

Good afternoon Beefy. I hope all well with you.

Good morning all.

Crimson, Frozen, and Lightning I was hit with a PSN message bug so I'm not getting notifications of any messages on my PS4, mobile app, or the website client. : I know I was planning to play some OW with most of you all especially with double XP weekend.

Good afternoon Beefy. I hope all well with you.

It's cool dude. Hope your psn gets sorted out.

lordmrw

That thread about how safe was your neighborhood growing up brought back a bad memory for me.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/12/31/us/neighbor-is-held-in-deaths-of-2-rhode-island-boys.html
That happened in my neighborhood, literally three streets from where I lived. That could just as easily have been me or one of my friends. I remember for a long time everyone's parents grabbing their kids the minute it got a little dark to get in the house. That was some scary shit man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom