• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the question was addressed to me. But i've seen the film.

Ummm, Yeah it's a weird one that, i still don't know what i think about it.
The main protagonist is a wet noddle though.

Don't believe people if they try to tell you this is Canada's Heavy Metal. Cause it's nowhere near as good. (I fucking love Heavy Metal)

The guy was a self-centered asshole who was jealous of his girlfriend being more talented than him.

Imm0rt4l

Amazing the brown men/white woman thread is more off the rails than i imagined it would be.

yo, I was surprised at the title change. I'm sympathetic to brown/black women being relegated to bg characters and aren't seen as the trophy.

admittedly I didn't read the whole thing, but I think I understand that much. But that opinion is racist? Am I trippin and I just need to actually read the entire thing or is it all just a bunch of fuckshit?

Slayven

yo, I was surprised at the title change. I'm sympathetic to brown/black women being relegated to bg characters and aren't seen as the trophy.

admittedly I didn't read the whole thing, but I think I understand that much. But that opinion is racist? Am I trippin and I just need to actually read the entire thing or is it all just a bunch of fuckshit?

Nah you good, it's Friday start the weekend early.

LotusHD

Banned

I didn't read the entire thing yet, but from what I saw, it got majorly derailed by the fact that the author picked one of the worst examples possible to make her point. Meh.

----

https://www.destructoid.com/is-mari...endo-s-first-black-leading-lady--447330.phtml

This article's kind of weird to me, in that it kind of unnecessarily downplays Twintelle from ARMS in order to prop up Marina from Splatoon 2.

the problem is minority women.

they can't want to be the desire of white men and also want men of color to want them over white women.

that's what white women are for!

they need to know their place.

last.

Spiderman was way better than i thought. Ending spoilers:
really surprised that aunt may will know his identity, cant wait to see how that dynamic plays out

Imm0rt4l

Nah you good, it's Friday start the weekend early.

Yeah, I can't bother with that. Just got out of seeing spider-man.

I didn't read the entire thing yet, but from what I saw, it got majorly derailed by the fact that the author picked one of the worst examples possible to make her point. Meh.

----

https://www.destructoid.com/is-mari...endo-s-first-black-leading-lady--447330.phtml

This article's kind of weird to me, in that it kind of unnecessarily downplays Twintelle from ARMS in order to prop up Marina from Splatoon 2.
Oh I see, that's a shame, because there is a conversation to be had there. But that's the way shit goes sometimes, You give them an inch and they'll take it a mile.

the problem is minority women.

they can't want to be the desire of white men and also want men of color to want them over white women.

that's what white women are for!

they need to know their place.

last.

Exactly.

on a related note, I hung out with this white girl that was in town that I ain't seen in a long time. She was feeling me since college, and I her. We linked up and at one point hung out with her girlfriends at a male strip club( a first for me), and for a fleeting moment some black women caught my attention. The girl I was with asked if I liked black women, I didn't really like the question and it's obvious implications in racial politics...but I didn't make anything of it, because I was a a man on a mission. I simply said I just like women in general, I don't really have a preference(which is true). I said this knowing that she prefers black men. I've been reflecting on that for a few days and I find it topical. White women are supposed to be the prize, we're socialized to believe this.

Slayven

Watching a documentary on that exploding whale from a few years back. Did not expect 10 minutes to spent on it's genitals. The National Geographic channel goes in

akira28

lol I do wish it wasn't such a thing. like an expectation that is either wanted or unwanted in the "biggest" way Like "hey I like black guys" which is ok great or "ugh this black guy looks like he's interested in me" which is lmao.

I mean I see it along non racial lines too, people assuming they're about to get hit up, and not really being all that. but when its black and white there's an extra edge to it all.

I don't think I'm going to go out hustling anymore. Some white people called the cops on me today. I had only knocked on four doors before the popo rolled up. Three cop cars came and asked me for my ID and questions. Funny, I did door to door sales for this black company for like a few months and none of those black people called the police on me, but I've only been doing it for like 4 days in my town and white folks were quick to call up on me. I was in a nice development when the police pulled up to me.

Also something else weird happened to me. I was in the Mexican bakery and just got a drink. The cashier accidentally rung me up for $152 at first, but then corrected it. I gave her the two dollars and then she handed me a copy of the receipt and asked "Number?"

I was confused. Why would she need my number? I asked "telefono?" and she said si so I just put my number down thinking she was trying to holla.

Lavar.gif

----

Twintelle's a playable character in a fighting game with no clear protagonist though, whereas Marina is a prominent NPC that players will see a lot. In terms of position within the IP Marina ends up higher.

I don't think I'm going to go out hustling anymore. Some white people called the cops on me today. I had only knocked on four doors before the popo rolled up. Three cop cars came and asked me for my ID and questions. Funny, I did door to door sales for this black company for like a few months and none of those black people called the police on me, but I've only been doing it for like 4 days in my town and white folks were quick to call up on me. I was in a nice development when the police pulled up to me.

Also something else weird happened to me. I was in the Mexican bakery and just got a drink. The cashier accidentally rung me up for $152 at first, but then corrected it. I gave her the two dollars and then she handed me a copy of the receipt and asked "Number?"

I was confused. Why would she need my number? I asked "telefono?" and she said si so I just put my number down thinking she was trying to holla.

But was she cute tho

But was she cute tho

Not really. I'm still not sure if that's what that was about considering we could barely understand each other. I'm still mad with the encounter with the police today though. Three fucking cars, like really?! I got to find another way to make some money. I can't be sitting in the house everyday not doing shit.

LotusHD

Banned
Twintelle's a playable character in a fighting game with no clear protagonist though, whereas Marina is a prominent NPC that players will see a lot. In terms of position within the IP Marina ends up higher.

Nah, not that, that's whatever. Just more the fact that he downplayed Twintelle due to her white hair, felt unnecessary, even moreso since it's not like Marina is much better.

Shy

*sigh* That's shitty. Sorry that happened to you.

It must be very demoralising.

That's ..... Odd.
Welcome back.

royalan

I am so angry and sad right now, I figure before I do something irl I approach I know online.

I work in one of the high-rises in Center City (downtown) Philly. This afternoon, near the end of my day I was sitting out front with a friend who was on her lunch when we saw a young black boy on his bike roll up, casually leave his bike outside, and walk into the lobby. This isn't really unusual because there are retail shops on the ground level of this building. I also saw two officers go inside after the boy, but I didn't think anything of it at that moment.

My friend finished her break a few minutes later, and we went inside just in time to see the two officers grappling with the kid near the elevators. One officer slammed him to the ground, and they both jumped on his back and cuffed him. The boy then started shouting something I couldn't make out, when one of the cops then pulled the bottom of his sweater up and over his head, leaving his entire upper body exposed. At this point, it was me, my friend, and a group of people gathered around watching this. Some people telling the boy not to resist, some of us were yelling at the cops to stop manhandling him. The boy was clearly a kid, and BOTH cops substantially bigger than him. After a few moments, four more cops show up. One cop grabs the boy by each arm, two more by each leg, and they lift him and began carrying him out of the building, with the other cops following behind. The group of us followed them, my friend and I asked if anybody saw what the boy did. The people who had been inside when this happened said they didn't see anything but two cops run up on the boy and then a tussle started. They figured he must have done something outside. We told them they boy really just rolled up on his bike and walked in.

There was a police van waiting out in front of the building, the cops literally throw the boy into it. At this point several of the older women (all black) are freaking out, because they're not even trying to be gentle at this point. One of the cops eventually came over and told us to step away from the van, and then explains that they approached the boy because he was suspicious and there had been several thefts at the stores in the building recently yadda yadda yadda. This didn't make sense to me, because the cops had tackled the boy by the elevators to the upper floors of the building, which are nowhere near where the shops are.

We're still standing around watching, the police were filling out a report, when eventually an older woman comes running out of the building.

It's the boy's mother.

The boy's mother works in the building, and she had his phone. He came to her job to get his phone. This boy was approached by police, forced to the ground, humiliated and carried out of the building like fucking swine for coming to his mom's job after school to get his phone. To make it worse even after the mom approached the police and told them why he was there, they still refused to let him go. They took him away. He's probably still there now.

To say that the crowd outside went nuts after this would be an understatement.

Johndoey

Banned
Christ. Abhorrent shit like this goes on everyday and some people are still willing to pretend everything is all good in this country.

*sigh* That's shitty. Sorry that happened to you.

It must be very demoralising.
I was kind of scared. The main officer was talking to me asking if I ever dealt with cops much in the past and if I just saw the stuff on social media. I said just a couple times in the past and he said something about a few others giving them a bad rep. After all that was over with I rode off on my bike and stopped at this salon to see if they did black hair. One of those cops drove by, then I left and stopped at a Goodwill to call my mom. That same cop from before pulled up and said he wasn't following me and asked me if I've seen a drunk white man around. I told him no and he went off. I was kind of scared at that moment, but I think my face didn't show it.

I am so angry and sad right now, I figure before I do something irl I approach I know online.

I work in one of the high-rises in Center City (downtown) Philly. This afternoon, near the end of my day I was sitting out front with a friend who was on her lunch when we saw a young black boy on his bike roll up, casually leave his bike outside, and walk into the lobby. This isn't really unusual because there are retail shops on the ground level of this building. I also saw two officers go inside after the boy, but I didn't think anything of it at that moment.

My friend finished her break a few minutes later, and we went inside just in time to see the two officers grappling with the kid near the elevators. One officer slammed him to the ground, and they both jumped on his back and cuffed him. The boy then started shouting something I couldn't make out, when one of the cops then pulled the bottom of his sweater up and over his head, leaving his entire upper body exposed. At this point, it was me, my friend, and a group of people gathered around watching this. Some people telling the boy not to resist, some of us were yelling at the cops to stop manhandling him. The boy was clearly a kid, and BOTH cops substantially bigger than him. After a few moments, four more cops show up. One cop grabs the boy by each arm, two more by each leg, and they lift him and began carrying him out of the building, with the other cops following behind. The group of us followed them, my friend and I asked if anybody saw what the boy did. The people who had been inside when this happened said they didn't see anything but two cops run up on the boy and then a tussle started. They figured he must have done something outside. We told them they boy really just rolled up on his bike and walked in.

There was a police van waiting out in front of the building, the cops literally throw the boy into it. At this point several of the older women (all black) are freaking out, because they're not even trying to be gentle at this point. One of the cops eventually came over and told us to step away from the van, and then explains that they approached the boy because he was suspicious and there had been several thefts at the stores in the building recently yadda yadda yadda. This didn't make sense to me, because the cops had tackled the boy by the elevators to the upper floors of the building, which are nowhere near where the shops are.

We're still standing around watching, the police were filling out a report, when eventually an older woman comes running out of the building.

It's the boy's mother.

The boy's mother works in the building, and she had his phone. He came to her job to get his phone. This boy was approached by police, forced to the ground, humiliated and carried out of the building like fucking swine for coming to his mom's job after school to get his phone. To make it worse even after the mom approached the police and told them why he was there, they still refused to let him go. They took him away. He's probably still there now.

To say that the crowd outside went nuts after this would be an understatement.

Lord! That's what I was scared of happening to me earlier today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom