• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

I am so angry and sad right now, I figure before I do something irl I approach I know online.

I work in one of the high-rises in Center City (downtown) Philly. This afternoon, near the end of my day I was sitting out front with a friend who was on her lunch when we saw a young black boy on his bike roll up, casually leave his bike outside, and walk into the lobby. This isn't really unusual because there are retail shops on the ground level of this building. I also saw two officers go inside after the boy, but I didn't think anything of it at that moment.

My friend finished her break a few minutes later, and we went inside just in time to see the two officers grappling with the kid near the elevators. One officer slammed him to the ground, and they both jumped on his back and cuffed him. The boy then started shouting something I couldn't make out, when one of the cops then pulled the bottom of his sweater up and over his head, leaving his entire upper body exposed. At this point, it was me, my friend, and a group of people gathered around watching this. Some people telling the boy not to resist, some of us were yelling at the cops to stop manhandling him. The boy was clearly a kid, and BOTH cops substantially bigger than him. After a few moments, four more cops show up. One cop grabs the boy by each arm, two more by each leg, and they lift him and began carrying him out of the building, with the other cops following behind. The group of us followed them, my friend and I asked if anybody saw what the boy did. The people who had been inside when this happened said they didn't see anything but two cops run up on the boy and then a tussle started. They figured he must have done something outside. We told them they boy really just rolled up on his bike and walked in.

There was a police van waiting out in front of the building, the cops literally throw the boy into it. At this point several of the older women (all black) are freaking out, because they're not even trying to be gentle at this point. One of the cops eventually came over and told us to step away from the van, and then explains that they approached the boy because he was suspicious and there had been several thefts at the stores in the building recently yadda yadda yadda. This didn't make sense to me, because the cops had tackled the boy by the elevators to the upper floors of the building, which are nowhere near where the shops are.

We're still standing around watching, the police were filling out a report, when eventually an older woman comes running out of the building.

It's the boy's mother.

The boy's mother works in the building, and she had his phone. He came to her job to get his phone. This boy was approached by police, forced to the ground, humiliated and carried out of the building like fucking swine for coming to his mom's job after school to get his phone. To make it worse even after the mom approached the police and told them why he was there, they still refused to let him go. They took him away. He's probably still there now.

To say that the crowd outside went nuts after this would be an understatement.

Yeah, reading this kinda made me angry. To "serve and protect" my ass.

Imm0rt4l

I am so angry and sad right now, I figure before I do something irl I approach I know online.

I work in one of the high-rises in Center City (downtown) Philly. This afternoon, near the end of my day I was sitting out front with a friend who was on her lunch when we saw a young black boy on his bike roll up, casually leave his bike outside, and walk into the lobby. This isn't really unusual because there are retail shops on the ground level of this building. I also saw two officers go inside after the boy, but I didn't think anything of it at that moment.

My friend finished her break a few minutes later, and we went inside just in time to see the two officers grappling with the kid near the elevators. One officer slammed him to the ground, and they both jumped on his back and cuffed him. The boy then started shouting something I couldn't make out, when one of the cops then pulled the bottom of his sweater up and over his head, leaving his entire upper body exposed. At this point, it was me, my friend, and a group of people gathered around watching this. Some people telling the boy not to resist, some of us were yelling at the cops to stop manhandling him. The boy was clearly a kid, and BOTH cops substantially bigger than him. After a few moments, four more cops show up. One cop grabs the boy by each arm, two more by each leg, and they lift him and began carrying him out of the building, with the other cops following behind. The group of us followed them, my friend and I asked if anybody saw what the boy did. The people who had been inside when this happened said they didn't see anything but two cops run up on the boy and then a tussle started. They figured he must have done something outside. We told them they boy really just rolled up on his bike and walked in.

There was a police van waiting out in front of the building, the cops literally throw the boy into it. At this point several of the older women (all black) are freaking out, because they're not even trying to be gentle at this point. One of the cops eventually came over and told us to step away from the van, and then explains that they approached the boy because he was suspicious and there had been several thefts at the stores in the building recently yadda yadda yadda. This didn't make sense to me, because the cops had tackled the boy by the elevators to the upper floors of the building, which are nowhere near where the shops are.

We're still standing around watching, the police were filling out a report, when eventually an older woman comes running out of the building.

It's the boy's mother.

The boy's mother works in the building, and she had his phone. He came to her job to get his phone. This boy was approached by police, forced to the ground, humiliated and carried out of the building like fucking swine for coming to his mom's job after school to get his phone. To make it worse even after the mom approached the police and told them why he was there, they still refused to let him go. They took him away. He's probably still there now.

Ughh

"Fuck the police" is essentially my mantra.

Fuck. The. Police

royalan

I mean, the boy literally did nothin.

He didn't even LOOK suspicious. He was clean, nothing looked "off" about him. He was clearly a kid. Even had a backpack attached to his bike. You could have told me he had a DS in his back pocket and I wouldn't have been surprised.

But hey, he black tho...

D i Z

I mean, the boy literally did nothin.

He didn't even LOOK suspicious. He was clean, nothing looked "off" about him. He was clearly a kid. Even had a backpack attached to his bike. You could have told me he had a DS in his back pocket and I wouldn't have been surprised.

But hey, he black tho...

That's the only excuse they ever need.

"We've had reports"

"looked suspicious"

"fits the description"

I have a severe phobia of eyeball gore.

It's the boy's mother.

Fuck those power-tripping blue cunts.

Zekes!

It's the boy's mother.

Fucking disgusting.

Shy

I was kind of scared. The main officer was talking to me asking if I ever dealt with cops much in the past and if I just saw the stuff on social media. I said just a couple times in the past and he said something about a few others giving them a bad rep. After all that was over with I rode off on my bike and stopped at this salon to see if they did black hair. One of those cops drove by, then I left and stopped at a Goodwill to call my mom. That same cop from before pulled up and said he wasn't following me and asked me if I've seen a drunk white man around. I told him no and he went off. I was kind of scared at that moment, but I think my face didn't show it.
Jesus. That sounds really fucking scary.
I have a severe phobia of eyeball gore.
Ahh.

akira28

just another young super predator. he might have exposed them to tax relieved property loss crimes, or maybe some how threatened their lives with his brown skin.

That's the only excuse they ever need.

"We've had reports"

"looked suspicious"

"fits the description"
They were looking for a 35 yr old woman stealing Big League bubble gum. Not their fault he got the description

Also I'm so sad I listened to this Twista album. I never expected a Jay-Z album to be good but Twista has fallen so far

After seeing the trailer for this show "Salvation" they should change it to "White Salvation"

It's the boy's mother.

keeping up their heritage hundreds of years later. they sure are true to their roots.

LionPride

Banned

It's the boy's mother.

Nigga I'm heated

Order

It's the boy's mother.

Bitchass police. Fuck them

LotusHD

Banned
The ridiculousness of the cops apprehending him aside, I will never fucking understand why they use so much goddamn excessive force when it comes to kids. Makes my blood boil.

There's not a lot of things great about my city, but not do I appreciate the fact that the cops here aren't monsters. A lot of black cops on the force to boot.

I'm amazed by the dedication some of these people have. Some of these things have accounts from 2007.

A DAMN DECADE on a website you fucking hate because "lol I made the lubruls crai".

I'd feel pity for them for how pathetic their lives must be if not for, well, them being shitheads.

D i Z

Who's going to put a dollar in a slot machine for 7/7/17?

Record heat about to hit socal tomorrow. Get your peoples to the tunnels with the canned goods.

Slayven

It's the boy's mother.

And it happens a thousands times around the country every day

It's the boy's mother.

I would have struggled not to hit one of those damn pigs.

This country is broken, fucking irreparably broken. This is something where, if it was a fucking white kid in this exact situation (well it would never happen if he were white) but this would be a god damn international news story.

I doubt other than from you we even hear about this, and this garbage happens every single day.

Fuck this country man. Pigs ain't shit, even "the good ones" ain't shit.

D i Z

And it happens a thousands times around the country every day

That's what people don't understand. Even with the wave of information about some of the most heinous incidents and crimes against the people, I genuinely feel that most of the severely detached lack an understanding of the scope of this operation. They cry about yet another report to dodge in their social media feeds, yet another conversation they are uncomfortable with, yet another situation they want to turn away from. They never get that these are not isolated incidents. Shit is happening right now in multiple places, and it doesn't stop. There are no breaks from this.

It's the boy's mother.

Initially was going to quote this when you posted but I had to leave for a minute and take a breather. I have a negative reaction to shit like this that affects me physically and mentally because how I react goes against what I stand for to this day, like to the point where my anger scares the shit out of myself, especially being a mixed black man that legally packs heat. Sometimes you get this thought like, bitch this how imma go out imma just fucking be this martyr MVP, but its not going to make a change, its not going to make a difference or do anything for my family and my life.

I'm sorry you had to witness this, I'm sorry everyone there had to, I know the feeling that went through all y'all hearts too well. Actually seeing one of us being handled like we're not at all fucking human is despicable, like we're not even worth the decency, its the most disgusting thing ever and I'm frankly tired of being told cops are trained to deescalate a situation because shit like this proves the exact opposite on those power tripping bitches.

That's what people don't understand. Even with the wave of information about some of the most heinous incidents and crimes against the people, I genuinely feel that most of the severely detached lack an understanding of the scope of this operation. They cry about yet another report to dodge in their social media feeds, yet another conversation they are uncomfortable with, yet another situation they want to turn away from. They never get that these are not isolated incidents. Shit is happening right now in multiple places, and it doesn't stop. There are no breaks from this.

It's why all these "debates" we have with people not just here, in our literal day to day lives about "well statistically police shootings aren't that likely" and sure, most likely 99.5% of us will not be shot by police.

But we live in fear of it every fucking minute of every fucking day, even in our own fucking homes we aren't safe. Because we're never good enough. We're always "different" we're the other, we're persecuted and treated with revulsion and fear every single fucking minute of every single fucking day, shit like this is literally our life. Of course we fear and hate the police, of course we don't trust the justice system, of course every time a black child is murdered in cold blood by the people that should be fucking protecting him, we look on with no surprise nor shock. I own a lot of guns, maybe I'm not "statistically likely" to be shot and killed, but what happens if the police barge into my home and see the gun safe? You think I get the benefit of the doubt? That my BOY would get the benefit of the doubt? No, they see tall, muscular man with melanin and guns in the house and blow my ass away. And people on the internet and in offices and on talk shows will him and haw over my life and it being a statistical oddity.

Because this is life. And they will never understand that. And it makes me fucking furious.

We aren't human. We will never be to them.

LionPride

Banned
say it to my face
Alex Riley lookin ass
maxresdefault.jpg

Beefy

Police copter out again waking my ass up

Some dude either on the run or some one jumped off the bridge near me (loads of people do that).

D i Z

It's why all these "debates" we have with people not just here, in our literal day to day lives about "well statistically police shootings aren't that likely" and sure, most likely 99.5% of us will not be shot by police.

But we live in fear of it every fucking minute of every fucking day, even in our own fucking homes we aren't safe. Because we're never good enough. We're always "different" we're the other, we're persecuted and treated with revulsion and fear every single fucking minute of every single fucking day, shit like this is literally our life. Of course we fear and hate the police, of course we don't trust the justice system, of course every time a black child is murdered in cold blood by the people that should be fucking protecting him, we look on with no surprise nor shock. I own a lot of guns, maybe I'm not "statistically likely" to be shot and killed, but what happens if the police barge into my home and see the gun safe? You think I get the benefit of the doubt? That my BOY would get the benefit of the doubt? No, they see tall, muscular man with melanin and guns in the house and blow my ass away. And people on the internet and in offices and on talk shows will him and haw over my life and it being a statistical oddity.

Because this is life. And they will never understand that. And it makes me fucking furious.

We aren't human. We will never be to them.

This is why I hit the 'decontamination button" on myself automatically everyday.
They want that anger to come out of us. I've seen some wild shit in my time, and I've crossed of a steady list of the different kinds of people waving firearms in my direction or wanting to make an example of me.
One thing I've understood since I got a steady stream of this shit is you can't let them pull that out of you. You lose.

D i Z

People won't recognize how important black painters have been in the early to mid 1900's in America and Europe, but a ton of what we have in the cultural cache was documented first by black painters.

Edit: Manners. Hello Aizo.

royalan

Initially was going to quote this when you posted but I had to leave for a minute and take a breather. I have a negative reaction to shit like this that affects me physically and mentally because how I react goes against what I stand for to this day, like to the point where my anger scares the shit out of myself, especially being a mixed black man that legally packs heat. Sometimes you get this thought like, bitch this how imma go out imma just fucking be this martyr MVP, but its not going to make a change, its not going to make a difference or do anything for my family and my life.

I'm sorry you had to witness this, I'm sorry everyone there had to, I know the feeling that went through all y'all hearts too well. Actually seeing one of us being handled like we're not at all fucking human is despicable, like we're not even worth the decency, its the most disgusting thing ever and I'm frankly tired of being told cops are trained to deescalate a situation because shit like this proves the exact opposite on those power tripping bitches.

Don't be sorry for me, I'm not that kid. Or his mother, who I think got a call from one of her coworkers who was outside that her son was being thrown into a police van. I can't imagine what it must have been going through her mind as she rushed from her office.

It's just, call me naive, but this is Philly. Philly is a black ass city. And while yeah, we have our problems with the police (of course, the justice system in this whole COUNTRY is broken), to see a kid doing nothing, tackled by a group of big ass thugs with badges and carried out of the building like a fucking piece of furniture...I've never seen that. I'm from Inglewood, California, the hood you all grew up hearing about, and I've never seen that. Somehow I wasn't ever expecting to see that here.

I've seen cops tussle with grown ass men that they treated better than that.

The US is fucked from the top down when it comes to justice or law or hell anything government wise. And that's putting it mildly. The US is just fucked, no two ways about it.

D i Z

I'm from Inglewood, California,the hood you all grew up hearing about, and I've never seen that. Somehow I wasn't ever expecting to see that here.

I've seen cops tussle with grown ass men that they treated better than that.

Maybe there's an age gap, because this at least was business as usual not so long ago, and still is as far as my eyes see. I'm more on the Jungle side though. Maybe Inglewood got their shit together during the early 2000's. Point being I see this everywhere. L.A just moved it's bad policing behavior to the outskirts and east of the bridge.

This past week was sooo bad.I don't know where to start.Fuck it.

My Grandmother died last Friday
Saw family I haven't seen in years (good part)
Family fussing about money all week.
Family mad that the body doesn't look like my Grandmother
Family has Royal Rumble match in Grandmother's house.

And the Funeral is at 12 pm.

:/

Bwahahah some dude calls feminists entitled r-words and then calls me close minded because I'm not willing to hear all his proof that feminism is evil.

Friend Zone topics are the best :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom