• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Signing the lease to my first real independent (not owned by a family member) place with my girlfriend tonight. I have no credit or rental history (just paid rent to family) but we got approved because of her rental history and job (she's a financial adviser). Which is good because I don't know the first fucking thing about debt, credit or finance. I haven't made any screw-ups but I really don't know what I'm doing either. I guess a clean slate is good but it's shit that no credit is worse than bad credit.

She made you a grown ass man. She is a keeper.

LosDaddie

Banned
I have ~4hr drive today, and I'm looking forward to catching up on your podcast, NegroGAF. I've only listened to the first one, and enjoyed it. I'll post my thoughts next week.

RE: Home Mortgage Discussion:

Yeah, we are underwater on our mortgage as well. Bought our house in early 2008 at lower than advertised price, and we're still underwater. But I'm not worrying about it. We don't plan on moving anytime soon. We did get it refinanced once Obama & Dems passed the mortgage help legislation (HOPE, I think) a couple years back. It took ~$300 off our bill each month.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Kotaku has another black people + video games post up, it's blocked at my job though

might be worth a gander

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I really need to get my shit together regarding credit.

I'm just too happy to not have to worry about money these days...

How am them titties?

I do my best to not remember any nudity from that show.

Signing the lease to my first real independent (not owned by a family member) place with my girlfriend tonight. I have no credit or rental history (just paid rent to family) but we got approved because of her rental history and job (she's a financial adviser). Which is good because I don't know the first fucking thing about debt, credit or finance. I haven't made any screw-ups but I really don't know what I'm doing either. I guess a clean slate is good but it's shit that no credit is worse than bad credit.

just get a credit card and keep a low balance. People will say always pay it off at the end of the month, which is good short term for you so you don't pay interest, but companies love people who at least a little interest.

I'm a young, broke college student but my credit is great.

Slayven

Kotaku has another black people + video games post up, it's blocked at my job though

might be worth a gander

Skimmed it but it seems they want a bunch of Black video game developers to band together and form their own company to make games. Bish it is on you.

Oh and I hope Gaf misses it. People will jsut scream reverse double dog racism.

zero_suit

just get a credit card and keep a low balance. People will say always pay it off at the end of the month, which is good short term for you so you don't pay interest, but companies love people who at least a little interest.

I'm a young, broke college student but my credit is great.

Not paying interest is good any way you slice it.

G-Fex

I know I know I shouldn't go to reddit

81Jun1Q.jpg

Wow.

I also find it interesting cause I like seeing covers of shitty relatively unknown VHS movies like some from foundfootagefestival.com

apparently this cover is a lie and none of the people on it are in the movie.

When I needed to build up a credit record I asked my mom to put the phone and tv bills in my name, she was still paying for everything and I got to reap thee benefits. :D

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I've had a credit card since I was 19 (I think). My parents had the foresight to start building my credit history at a young age. I would basically make a single large purchase every several months and pay it off within 60 days. I recently used it for the first time in years. It has really helped my credit rating. I typically don't use it, and to be honest, want to close my account because I hate the company but you've got to play the game.

Not paying interest is good any way you slice it.

If you can take a monthly hit of a few bucks of interest your score would get a slight boost, this was back in 07/08 before things got a bit cleaned up, so it very well could be different now.

Companies used to have a loan shark perspective on things. Getting their money back on time, everytime was key, but if their borrower was also paying a little interest too, they're their bestfriend.

When I needed to build up a credit record I asked my mom to put the phone and tv bills in my name, she was still paying for everything and I got to reap thee benefits. :D

That's one of the last loopholes young people have. You used to be able to get your kid their own credit card and build their credit without them knowing. Parents used to send their kids to college with a surprise gift of a credit card they had since birth but didn't know about with superlow interest and a huge limit. 18 years of perfect credit at 18 y/o. That's awesome. Wish my parents did that for me.

Heads up to the So Well Spoken people.

Don't think I'll have time this weekend to do a cast.I might be able to do one tonight if Dy Immortal onemic are available around 8pm eastern.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
I'm going to have to check one of these podcasts out soon or late.

What do y'all talk about? How long do they run?

I'm totally opening a line of credit for my kid. He's going to be so set when he's 18.

....then he's gonna fuck it all up. After all, he'll be 18. :)

I'm going to have to check one of these podcasts out soon or late.

What do y'all talk about? How long do they run?

I'm totally opening a line of credit for my kid. He's going to be so set when he's 18.

....then he's gonna fuck it all up. After all, he'll be 18. :)
Podcast Thread

You have to be 18 for a credit card now. I'm not sure if anyone else updated their policies but you used to be able to open joint checking accounts with kids or add a kid to your existing credit card. I think adding them to your phone bill, cable bill might be the easiest route.

harSon

Banned
What are your guys' thoughts on the movie 21 And Over? Personally, I think it looks like a mediocre low-brow comedy, but I've been invited by a few friends to see it tonight, all of them Asian. Regardless of its quality, I think it's going to have a lot of success within the Asian community domestically. You'd be hard pressed to name many movies with an Asian in the top billing who isn't a Martial Arts master, and I think this film will have decent success simply because it bucks this trend, similar to how Blacks come out in large numbers to support Tyler Perry films.

Slayven

What are your guys' thoughts on the movie 21 And Over? Personally, I think it looks like a mediocre low-brow comedy, but I've been invited by a few friends to see it tonight, all of them Asian. Regardless of its quality, I think it's going to have a lot of success within the Asian community domestically. You'd be hard pressed to name many movies with an Asian in the top billing who isn't a Martial Arts master, and I think this film will have decent success simply because it bucks this trend, similar to how Blacks come out in large numbers to support Tyler Perry films.
Looks like Hangover Jr, nothing wrong with that. I look forward to it being on Netflix.

I saw the trailer and all that stood out to me is that they kept referring to their "friend" by his full name. After about the 5th time they did it my mind checked out.

Edit: Also not 1 but 2 Asians

220px-Harold_%26_Kumar_Go_to_White_Castle.JPG

harSon

Banned
Now that Asians are starting to shed the Martial Arts stereotype in film, they'll have to turn their attention onto expanding past comedic roles. Good luck on that front!

Slayven

Because hes Asian..................get it!

And it seems like its more about them finding their token Asian friend than about him going crazy.

I just hope they have a black that says "man you got to hit that" when he is talking about weed or women.

Moris I will be here if you want to do something.

Well, we'd have to disqualify all of Korean/HK cinema, since by virtue of EVERYBODY being asian in those movies, somebody's gotta end up with the girl, damnit.

But from Hollywood land, Jet Li got together with Aaliyah, didn't he? I haven't seen Romeo Must Die in at least 10 years

Jackie Chan got the girl in the first Rush Hour movie
to her father because he was worried about her.

It also brought us one of my favorite lines and deaths:

TMQ1Xl.jpg

"Wipe yourself off. You dead."

Well, we'd have to disqualify all of Korean/HK cinema, since by virtue of EVERYBODY being asian in those movies, somebody's gotta end up with the girl, damnit.

But from Hollywood land, Jet Li got together with Aaliyah, didn't he? I haven't seen Romeo Must Die in at least 10 years

Fast 5!

I wasn't conviced they were couple, They only had a hug at the end

akira28

Damn she's average as thee fuck

Eh, so's everyone. You're only as good looking as you are at your worst. If she wasn't as smart as she was, she wouldn't even be in the position she's in to make whatever image statements she does. So I figure she's decided to work with what she's got instead of being anti-fashion.

Kreed

"Wooooo, you know he dead!"

why so little movies, Chris Tucker

He got a couple of huge film paydays and checked out of Hollywood (why not?). Too bad he couldn't protect himself from the IRS, now he's doing comedy tours and supporting character movie roles. But at least he didn't get locked up like Wesley.

akira28

"I'm not easily surprised by anything, but that took me to a place I haven't been in a long time," Clyburn said of Scalia's comments, during an interview with HuffPost. "What Justice Scalia said, to me, was, 'The 15th Amendment of the Constitution ain't got no concerns for me because I'm white and proud.'"

scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom