• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
camron.jpg

yep

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Crazy question for BCT....

If you had found a way to contact say your biological father who has after research you found out has been incarcerated majority of your life would you contact him?

Right now I am staring at this phone number......

My biological grandfather got out of jail after 20+ years and wanted to contact me. I figured it couldn't hurt - gain some perspective on things, maybe understand why I think the way I do about certain stuff, etc.

After 20 minutes it was clear that he was a child and I hadn't missed anything.

Just my experience.

Remember what I said about echo chambers? Well yeah, about that. Totally forgot that GAF is as cliquey as it gets since it's a video-game forum primarily. A large part of its population is 25 and under, Caucasian and living in western countries. There is no possible way that the floated discussion could have worked. They're largely incapable of seeing things from others perspectives. If it's about sexism(white women) or homophobia(White people), you'll get an endless stream of people for the cause. But when it's dealing with issues of race and social classes; all you get is "omg that's so bad!", "I can't believe it!" bullshit. With nobody actually every touching the issue of where those problems come from and in any which way implicating that their is a severe societal bias. It's like throwing water on a witch trying to get one of them to say that. No, it's always a discussion about individuals and how racists are a minority. Yet when things happen, minorities are never treated as individuals and it becomes a "x" people problem. Because at the end of the day, acknowledging that the systemic bias against minorities exists, means accepting that they have a leg up in all areas of life. All you see is a fetishism of east Asian people/cultures and a bunch of people so sheltered and engaged in a hobby for those that have, that the mere thought of the world not being an equal place and them having it better becomes an insult. They're utterly incapable on perceiving any injustice or wrong. Unless it involves women(The paler the better) and whatever nebulous hobby it is that they pour their "expendable" money into.

hwalker84

If you had found a way to contact say your biological father who has after research you found out has been incarcerated majority of your life would you contact him?

You have nothing to lose.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Another shameless podcast plug: You guys need to listen the latest "this week in blackness radio". Like, right now. I tried listening to it during work...bad idea.

I would say to try at least once and see if there's something there worth continuing with.

Slayven

Another shameless podcast plug: You guys need to listen the latest "this week in blackness radio". Like, right now. I tried listening to it during work...bad idea.
BCT should be reuqired to listen to this and the chittlin circuit of podcasting.

Popeyes or KFC?
If he answers wrong just get up and walk away.

Remember what I said about echo chambers? Well yeah, about that. Totally forgot that GAF is as cliquey as it gets since it's a video-game forum primarily. A large part of its population is 25 and under, Caucasian and living in western countries. There is no possible way that the floated discussion could have worked. They're largely incapable of seeing things from others perspectives. If it's about sexism(white women) or homophobia(White people), you'll get an endless stream of people for the cause. But when it's dealing with issues of race and social classes; all you get is "omg that's so bad!", "I can't believe it!" bullshit. With nobody actually every touching the issue of where those problems come from and in any which way implicating that their is a severe societal bias. It's like throwing water on a witch trying to get one of them to say that. No, it's always a discussion about individuals and how racists are a minority. Yet when things happen, minorities are never treated as individuals and it becomes a "x" people problem. Because at the end of the day, acknowledging that the systemic bias against minorities exists, means accepting that they have a leg up in all areas of life. All you see is a fetishism of east Asian people/cultures and a bunch of people so sheltered and engaged in a hobby for those that have, that the mere thought of the world not being an equal place and them having it better becomes an insult. They're utterly incapable on perceiving any injustice or wrong. Unless it involves women(The paler the better) and whatever nebulous hobby it is that they pour their "expendable" money into.

There are just somethings they can't grasp because they don't have any real world experience.

I simply disagree. You'll see all kinds of posts disparaging feminists all over GAF. And plenty of victim blaming.

Creepshots thread?

akira28

Little Ceasars Deep Deep with Pepperoni and extra cheese is on point. You will be a believer. (Make sure it's well done and hot).

Slayven

Little Ceasars Deep Deep with Pepperoni and extra cheese is on point. You will be a believer. (Make sure it's well done and hot).
Shit looks good. Little Ceasaes struggleness is offset by price and decent quality. While Dominos is flavorless dogshit that is criminal that they sell.

Well a little update. I decided to call the number and got the number you are trying to reach is disconnected. So Im like well.... Im a believer in you get signs for shit in life so I tried one more avenue before I said fuck it and that was the to call EBR department of corrections. After some finagling I got in touch with an advocate who looked into the situation. I was then informed that due to budget cuts and other shit they shut down the facility and that the inmates were spread all over. I said okay and he said hold on I will due some more digging I said okay and waited when he came back on the line and gave me something that hit me in the gut. He stated that the gentleman was released LAST YEAR and that the address online is accurate. I told him thank you and left it at that. I am happy I know this much but after all this I still have no idea if I want to proceed. I may write a letter. Its just daunting is all.... I appreciate the replies from you all hell you responded faster then some of my boys over the phone. If anything comes from this I will definitely get on and say.

I simply disagree. You'll see all kinds of posts disparaging feminists all over GAF. And plenty of victim blaming.

Creepshots thread?

I remember the creep-shots thread. And people got banned and debated to death in it all over the place. Compare that to the vast majority of threads dealing with blacks, Arabs, central asians; and you'll see the stark difference. It seriously frustrates me when talking about this stuff on GAF or the internet in general where you're even more of a minority. Especially in the "nerd" culture. It's fucking unbearable.

RedSwirl

Alright BCT: Sonic Burger. Do you fuck with it?

I spend most of my time just being pissed off they don't have it outside the deep south, but apparently I still love "close enough" to get commercials for it all the damn time.

I spend most of my time just being pissed off they don't have it outside the deep south, but apparently I still love "close enough" to get commercials for it all the damn time.

When I was in Vegas they had a couple I use to frequent. Since I've moved back home I get the same commercials all the time.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

we dont have sonics in la. fucking franchise

I fucks with sonics but I go to the one on the "good" side of town. Ratchet central at the other one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom