• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those tags always suck. Either be really stupid (but not stupid enough to catch a perma), do something extremely awesome, contribute substantially in a prominent community thread or inadvertently troll blackace and then ask for one.

I should have had a tag long ago for some of my work in NBAgaf, it wasn't til it got locked up and I found this place did I get a tag....and then another tag.

DominoKid

one of the funny things about life, at least to me, is how content some folks are w/ staying in the same place their entire lives. got sucked down the wormhole of facebook stalking and the world is just so damn small that it bothers me.

FreeMufasa

one of the funny things about life, at least to me, is how content some folks are w/ staying in the same place their entire lives. got sucked down the wormhole of facebook stalking and the world is just so damn small that it bothers me.

Yeah, I couldn't do that.

Where I'm from, guys in their 40s in the same place they were born, probably not even gone 10 miles from their house

BHZ Mayor

I wonder if messageboards were around during the sneak/Genesis days would folks be complaining about platformers?

As much as I love platformers, you could probably take most discussions about how everyone is copying COD and replace COD with Sonic. For example,

Post 1: I can't believe Konami changed Sparkster's design to go after the blastbro market.

From

Rocket Knight Adventures
25509-139410-genesis1888511jpg-620x.jpg

To

Sparkster

Post 2: Gotta get dem Sonic dollars.

But, even then, it still wasn't as bad as it is now with everyone going after the COD and Uncharted markets.. For example you never heard about developers bringing back dormant non-platformer franchises and rebooting them as Sonic style platformers. You didn't see Mario come back from a hiatus as a pre-rendered Donkey Kong Country clone.

But, even then, it still wasn't as bad as it is now with everyone going after the COD and Uncharted markets.. For example you never heard about developers bringing back dormant non-platformer franchises and rebooting them as Sonic style platformers. You didn't see Mario come back from a hiatus as a pre-rendered Donkey Kong Country clone.

eh, not sure I agree. Look at Street fighter II and count the damn clones. There were more copies of street fighter II (and mortal kombat, to a lesser extent) than COD and uncharted combined.

as for resurrecting "dormant" franchises- the industry was just coming out of it's infancy with the NES era. There simply weren't many "dormant" franchises to pick from.

edit: if we want to go back even further to the pre-crash era, Pac-Man clones were RAMPANT and all over the place. it's just the way the industry is.

or Doom clones!

ugh, this too.

I wonder what notable FPS released in the back end of 1997 that made people switch

Goldeneye

or maybe since the last Doom game hadn't been out since 1994, the phrase was simply becoming too dated to be useful?

"FPS" is a steady incline, there is no sudden jump attributable to one game.

It's only now I realize how similar Half-Life 1's plot is to Doom, scientists opening portal to alien world, invade your planet, fight your way out.

Just a great deal more sophisticated in it's narrative structure and game design. Hardly a Doom clone.

FyreWulff

or maybe since the last Doom game hadn't been out since 1994, the phrase was simply becoming too dated to be useful?

"FPS" is a steady incline, there is no sudden jump attributable to one game.

Even if it didn't do it by itself, it and games right after it like Half Life couldn't really be called Doom clones anymore because they didn't really play like Doom anymore. Previous games you could really tell you were playing something on the Doom engine or something imitating it as much as possible.

FyreWulff

Spoke too soon

http://www.kmtv.com/news/local/201780371.html

Omaha, NE - A day after Omaha's police chief fired four officers, Nebraska State Patrol investigators served a search warrant at the Omaha home where the excessive force investigation started two weeks ago.

Police Chief Todd Schmaderer fired four officers Friday and Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine has started a new investigation to determine if any of the officers broke the law.

"The information we've been privy to, there was evidence mishandled in that residence by Omaha police officers," said Kleine. "We're not only looking at what happened outside, but also inside the residence."

Douglas County crime lab technicians assisted with the search Saturday morning at the Johnson home at 3321 Seward.

The warrant, dated Friday, lists items investigators were looking for. "Cell phone(s) and/or digital recording devices, removable micro sd card with information and/or evidence of Tampering with Physical Evidence, witness tampering, conspiracy, 3rd degree assault and other criminal violations".

It directed investigators to search the house and three brothers, Octavius, Juaquez and Demetrius Johnson. Demetrius Johnson left the house Saturday with State Patrol investigators, who said he was not being arrested.

That news is a bit moldy but it serves them right.

Anyway, did anybody see the Tyler Perry film?

Who knew you could feel so scorned not getting enough attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom