• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
What is this thread's opinion on Nelly?

3UdCeZt.jpg

Am I a nerd for being most offended that they are mixing up colors that are years apart?

Well replaced the Pink Ranger for that, I don't think that guy would want his head on the Pink Ranger. I'd love to know why they chose Geki Violet though.

What is this thread's opinion on Nelly?

Well replaced the Pink Ranger for that, I don't think that guy would want his head on the Pink Ranger. I'd love to know why they chose Geki Violet though.
2 Chainz would love to be the pink ranger. He's different.

Pull up to the scene with my ceiling missing

DominoKid

White chicks stay running. Drove around town today since its nice out, seen this one chick pushing a damn tandem stroller on her jog. Dedication.

I ain't about that cardio life.

Satch

Banned
when you guys talk about bioshock in your podcast are you just going to say "props to the bioshock team for recognizing racism that shit takes balls" or are you going to discuss it with regard to how it relates to the typical obtuse statement of "it doesnt make sense to have such and such minority in a game unless its realistic" and then the minorities get made the nigger yet again as part of the age old tradition of learning about black people throughout american history

you guys should talk about that imo

dont just talk about bioshock infinite but talk about its context in the gaming spectrum i guess since its a good time to bring it up considering how uproarious things are becoming with regard to minority representation in games and the objections that come with it (it's not realistic to have a woman doing blank or it's not realistic or relatable to have a black man doing blank because blank but we will make them slaves or obnoxious thugs because THAT is realistic etc)

think big

Gorillaz

The thing about minority perception in general is that its not just video games but all forms Satch

You don't see them in a leading part for any sci fi or fantasy. Especially Fantasy. I'm not talking about just Will Smith doing Independence day or Men In Black, something that is grounded in some sort of reality but more avatar or even Lord of the Rings type of story. It's like the "glass ceilng" of perception for some reason because the case is usually "people don't believe in X minority being in a world like that" or "said main character wouldn't sell in a world like that" sometimes it's both. It's too much of a risk for people apparently.

At the same time It's a 2 way street. You don't see too many of us out there trying to do sci fi or fantasy. It's like our culture as a whole don't seem to want to get into anything beyond the stereotypical shit. Especially Movie Directors. Why are our only genres, rom com,documentary, and tyler perry? I like that black directors (Can't speak for other minorities) are creating

date movies
after date movie
after date movie

but is that really all they have? Or is it too much money and politics to invest into a hi budget sci fy/fantasy? Or hell even an action movie?

I was talking mainly about movies here but this also applies to the gaming medium. Some of us need to step up and try to represent ourselves instead of wait for others to do it.

i don't even have to visit the armed forces thread, i can predict what will happen.

drone strikes, pakistan, afghanistan, iraq, israel, north korea, vietnam, nagasaki, hiroshima, mission accomplished.

how did i do?

Between the stupid threads based around a stupid speculative question ("will Sony have defacto always online?") and the "hear me out, always online is great!" thread, does it seem like MS shills are out in full force today?

but really man... it's just chicken. why does it matter if it has 13 original herbs and spices or a classic NOLA recipe? you're still gonna get full if you eat a meal and it won't kill you.

church's? why would anyone live near there?

when you guys talk about bioshock in your podcast are you just going to say "props to the bioshock team for recognizing racism that shit takes balls" or are you going to discuss it with regard to how it relates to the typical obtuse statement of "it doesnt make sense to have such and such minority in a game unless its realistic" and then the minorities get made the nigger yet again as part of the age old tradition of learning about black people throughout american history

dont just talk about bioshock infinite but talk about its context in the gaming spectrum i guess since its a good time to bring it up considering how uproarious things are becoming with regard to minority representation in games and the objections that come with it (it's not realistic to have a woman doing blank or it's not realistic or relatable to have a black man doing blank because blank but we will make them slaves or obnoxious thugs because THAT is realistic etc)

think big

Ideally it'll be both, Immortal and I talked yesterday about how we should discuss the racial aspects of the game but not forget to talk about it as a game. Like how we treated the Django Unchained.

Due to the free flow nature of the discussions, it'll depend mostly on who is involved.

So far its just me onemic and Immortal. You're more than welcome to join if you're available at Tues 10pm est.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
3UdCeZt.jpg

Am I a nerd for being most offended that they are mixing up colors that are years apart?

gekiviolet...why? and i guess with 2 chains being yellow this is supposed to be zyuranger. is the guy that came up with this a toku fan?

Gorillaz

Yea tha Batman gif is sunhi, but it is true that shit on gaf usually goes through other sites then end up back here lol

Malcolm and Eddie was the strugglest sitcom I ever seen.

I never seen 2 people try so hard to stay relevant as much as they did. Corny ass jokes and laugh track all late and shit.

think big

This shit bothers me. There's a whole lot of fictional imaginary shit going on and then people make the argument that women are weaker thus can't do shit. Mario is a plumber who never actually does his job, eats mushrooms for power, travels through pipes and flies in some raccoon costume but Peach has to be weak and princessy mode because that's grounded in reality.

Shit boggles my mind.

ReiGun

I remember watching it a lot as a kid (I watched anything) but I literally cannot remember anything about it. I tried to peep an episode recently on MTV2 (I think) and I couldn't get through it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

never saw homeboys in outer space? or sparks? or anything else the the upn launch season? so much struggle im suprised the whole thing didnt get cancelled outright

Slayven

Yea tha Batman gif is sunhi, but it is true that shit on gaf usually goes through other sites then end up back here lol

I never seen 2 people try so hard to stay relevant as much as they did. Corny ass jokes and laugh track all late and shit.
Eddie Griffin is barely funnier than Mike Epps.

and it ran for four seasons

FOUR OF EM

UPN is dat struggle network

I remember watching it a lot as a kid (I watched anything) but I literally cannot remember anything about it. I tried to peep an episode recently on MTV2 (I think) and I couldn't get through it.

never saw homeboys in outer space? or sparks? or anything else the the upn launch season? so much struggle im suprised the whole thing didnt get cancelled outright
Honestly the UPN should have been canceled the first night. At least the Wayan brothers was watchable, even with the Wayans that is not Marlon's terrible delivery and timing.

Brother my life is a damn dramedy.

Meet Rio a thirtysomething black/puerto rican security officer and Iraqi war vet and his lovely 40 something Caucasian fiancee who happens to be a nurse living it up in a small rascist town in the south. Watch as they battle with interracial relationships, gated community living, health issues and the ever changing social every Thursday night on UPN. This fall you will love laugh and cheer at Southern Hospitality a new show from the creators of Homeboys from Outer Space.

Lol Homeboys rears its head yet again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom