• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the next several months, a cavalcade of fan-favorite franchises will launch for Wii U. This includes Game & Wario™ on June 23, Pikmin™ 3 on Aug. 4, Disney’s Planes from Disney Interactive on Aug. 6 and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™ from Ubisoft on Aug. 20.

Game and Wario and Disney Planes...and a UbiSoft port

ibdjSQudf9Lotd.gif

DominoKid

Hold up...they're just now doing a Pikmin 3? Is it me or would that've been way better on the Wii?

You Can't Make Your Son Date Black Women

Question:

"I just read your ' "Mixed Kids Are the Cutest" Isn't Cute' column, and I thought your comments on the things that are said to and about biracial children were very good. But let's take it a step further. What about the 'other' little girl? The 'pure' (for want of another word) black little girl who grew up hearing the same comments you heard about how lighter skin was better? That was me.

"It is one of the reasons that I constantly encourage my son, who has two black parents, to date black women. I am not a racist, but I tell my son that if he chooses a black mate, he is reinforcing to another black little girl that black is beautiful.

"So many people believe that this attitude is racist. But I believe I can promote black dating for my son as long as he is aware that people of another color are not inferior. So the question is this: Can I, as a black mother, encourage my son to date only black women and let him know that is my expectation?"

Answer:

Well, you can encourage, promote and expect that your son will date black women all you want. But I think that approach will set up both of you for failure.

That's not meant to dismiss the pain and frustration that fuel your question. When it comes to the ways in which black women's beauty and desirability have historically been devalued, I get it. You get it. No need to rewrite the book on that here. So it's understandable that you would assign a lot of social, political and personal weight to the racial side of your son's (or any black man's) romantic choices.

You're not alone. Your stance echoes the "little wince" Jill Scott was slammed for admitting that she felt in the face of interracial relationships. It reflects the widely held sentiment that made "You're telling me you're leaving me for a white woman?" extra dramatic way back in Waiting to Exhale.

It taps into the emotion behind the idea that President Obama's "selection of a black wife, particularly a dark-skinned one," mattered, and even that things might not have gone as well in 2008 had he made a different choice. The tension between heavy (and pretty messed-up) historical stuff and individual choices gives interracial dating a permanent VIP spot on the list of evergreen hot black topics.

You're not the first mom to worry about this, either. "This is a situation that I hear about all of the time," says Aimee Meredith Cox, a cultural anthropologist and assistant professor of African-American studies at Fordham University. "Black mothers wrestle with the tension between wanting to instill racial pride and a love and appreciation of the diverse beauty of blackness with wanting to honor the individual choices their children make around their social and romantic relationships."

So when I suggest that you drop the pressure, I'm not doing a love-is-colorblind-postracial-Pollyanna thing here. I just don't think it's wise to attempt to soothe that infamous "wince" by micromanaging your son's dating choices.

First, I'm certain it won't work. How often are our dating decisions tied to what anyone tells us we should do? And when's the last time an intellectual understanding of the wrongs of the world inspired a relationship? My prediction: If you make your son feel guilty enough, he's likely to just "forget" to introduce you to any nonblack women with whom he becomes involved.

Second, it's not your son's job to use his personal life to address the issues that matter to you. He's an individual, not a living extension of your priorities and concerns, and if you forget that, I'm sure it won't bode well for your relationship.

Finally, do you really want him to date based on a sense of obligation to you or some larger black-girl contingent? I'd personally hate to think that someone pursued a relationship with me because his mother encouraged him to use his love life to heal her childhood wounds.

So the real question is not whether you can pressure your son to date black women but how you can fortify him against the negative messaging that you fear could lead him to reject black women. What you really want to know is how to raise a child who is secure in a healthy black identity and has a good dose of skepticism about the input he receives about desirability (and all other things race-related).

"You can't force your children to be attracted to any one person or an aesthetic. However, we must think about how we have been taught, socialized, indoctrinated with the idea that white European standards of beauty and appeal should be the universal ideal," says Cox.

While Baylor University's Mia Moody-Ramirez, who has researched the portrayal of minority women in the media, agrees that it's "not a good idea" to pressure him to date black women, she suggests that you encourage him, when watching TV, for example, to "appreciate beauty in all shades."

You can both curate your son's input and encourage his critical thinking. But be prepared -- even if you raise the most self-aware, socially conscious, racially and morally grounded child on Earth -- that he might still make a choice different from the one you'd make for him, simply because love is not public policy. To some extent, his attraction to women will be not only out of your control but out of his as well.

Focus on where you can actually have an influence: on the quality of your mother-son relationship and, to a lesser extent, on his relationship with what our culture says about attractiveness. You say you want him to reinforce that black girls are beautiful, but why don't you reinforce to him the idea that he's supported by his loved ones and equipped with the wisdom to make his own decisions? Then step back and let his love life take care of itself.

One of the better responses I've seen on the subject.

ReiGun

Me too, but I don't quite want it bad enough to get a Wii.

Man, everybody is all "Nintendo is doomed" and I'm just like "Can they just hold out long enough for Bayonetta and the new Smash to drop? Maybe even Zelda?" I don't need much, tbh.

The 3DS looks hot, though.

DominoKid

Man, everybody is all "Nintendo is doomed" and I'm just like "Can they just hold out long enough for Bayonetta and the new Smash to drop? Maybe even Zelda?" I don't need much, tbh.

i'm still salty Bayo 2 is on that bullshit ass Wii U only. I'm hating on the Wii U like shit just for that.

zero_suit

Nintendo would need a console to lose billions (ex: PS3) to be doomed.

cdyhybrid

Bust A Groove is the GOAT rhythm game.

Also the Wii U will move units when the new Smash Bros. comes out, assuming it's the same big "event" that the last one was.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Game and Wario and Disney Planes...and a UbiSoft port

ibdjSQudf9Lotd.gif

Don't be knocking our ports man....lol

I kid...i must be one of the few in the org that actually thinks supporting the Wii U is a waste of time. Our competition are dropping Nintendo like the hot mess it is right now. Ubi? We all about the casual slice of that market. Oh well.

Nakazato

So... I need something to play tonight and tomorrow

so help me choose all vita games

Persona 4 Golden
Soul Sacrifice
Gravity Rush

also looking to get back in to fighters

UMVC3
SSF4

and if someone could point me out a mvc guide for noobs it would be helpful

Item Box

I liked it, it is like they took the last 5 minutes of every sentai series and made a game from it

The amount of QTEs in the game has me thinking... why not make a show out of it?

Pretty much why I love my mom, she doesn't care who I date. I've brought home black chicks, red bone, hispanic, asian, white, and middle eastern (she was half white, but hey it counts). She gives no fucks as long as I'm happy.
How do I get my mom to be like yours

DominoKid

I tried the demo for it, and it was bonkers, haha. Kinda wish i had got the game now.

LOL I played that demo on a whim one day last summer because we'd played everything else. I've never heard more "what the fuck" exclamations in my life. One day I'll get around to playing the full game.

Pretty much why I love my mom, she doesn't care who I date. I've brought home black chicks, red bone, hispanic, asian, white, and middle eastern (she was half white, but hey it counts). She gives no fucks as long as I'm happy.

yeah my mom is cool w/ whatever i do, but she's made it no secret, especially of late, that she'd prefer i date black. "it'd make me happier" she said. idk how a parent can be a different level of pleased based on who their kids date. all that should matter is that were in love right? but whatever.

Gorillaz

Yea I've kind of gotten that same approach from my mom. She wouldn't "care" but I see her always nudge me more toward black girls. I use to be into mainly black girl and sometimes other.

I'm kind of indifferent now ever since I started college. My taste in chicks vary alot more. I can tell tho that she does wince a bit when I talk about chicks I dated/hang out with that aren't black. Shit's kind of weird and uncomfortable some times

so my brother in law is a recovering alcoholic (unbeknownst to me) and he's done time in the past. for whatever reason he relapsed hard a few months ago. My sister in law found vodka bottles etc,. She threw it all away and she's been watching the finances like a hawk ever since. Anywho she finds a large trash bag and assumes it's trash goes to investigate and finds it's full of fermented peaches i.e this dude is making moonshine like they do in prison.

She on the phone with my wife now crying and carrying on. Wife just excused me from the room. Sister in law must have heard me in the background saying let the nigga drink it if he went through that much trouble to make it.

Satch

Banned
so my brother in law is a recovering alcoholic (unbeknownst to me) and he's done time in the past. for whatever reason he relapsed hard a few months ago. My sister in law found vodka bottles etc,. She threw it all away and she's been watching the finances like a hawk ever since. Anywho she finds a large trash bag and assumes it's trash goes to investigate and finds it's full of fermented peaches i.e this dude is making moonshine like they do in prison.

She on the phone with my wife now crying and carrying on. Wife just excused me from the room. Sister in law must have heard me in the background saying let the nigga drink it if he went through that much trouble to make it.

you have the most eventful life

Imm0rt4l

image.php

lmao.

Also I was talking with a friend about how all you guys have to say is "this nigga" derisively and people nod their heads accordingly. I wish we had something like that.

Nakazato

damn it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom