• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
Whether they are real or not, I knew something was up when this dude went from Jesus Walks to "No Church in the Wild". That song is on some other shit when you break down the lyrics.

Some people wise up and realize religion is mostly a crutch. What happens after that can vary greatly.

BHZ Mayor

Ye is trying to keep up with the Carters, so to speak. Also, something else is going on with him behind the scenes. That screaming fit at that show was for a reason.

On another note, I played the Rayman Legends demo yesterday, and I see why people were pissed about the delay. Dat rock song level. So good. I'm glad they decided to port it to PS360 though. I wasn't a big fan of the Murphy sections. Although trying to rotate a game pad attached to a kiosk in the middle of Walmart didn't help.

Kreed

maybe he finally came to terms w/ the fact that there's no god/jesus. i mean, those songs are what...8 years apart? you have to imagine his views/beliefs have evolved in that time.

Considering dude spends so much time with Jay now, that wouldn't be surprising. Some of Jay's opinions had to have rubbed off on him, especially with his mom not around.

Ye is trying to keep up with the Carters, so to speak. Also, something else is going on with him behind the scenes. That screaming fit at that show was for a reason.

Kim Kardashian. Ever since he started dating her and paparazzi has been following him around dude has been going on rants at concerts and getting pissed off more easily. Not that I can blame him, you go to the grocery store and look at the magazines as you're checking out and all you see is rumors about him and Kim and when they are going to break up/is Kanye gay/etc... He doesn't know how to adjust to the "different" level of attention.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Lol. People are relatively chill about that in here.

I dunno. I think Flashing Lights was the last great narrative he had. I enjoy it's construction and simple imagery in comparison to the try hard to be complex and mixed plotlines he's been spewing as of recent.

He's suffering from the same identity crisis people called Nas out for (being a hypocrite in verse), but he can't rap well enough to pull it off. Doesn't help with the Jay influence either.

Yeezy still drops some gems, but this lane he's in is hilarious now.

Lol. People are relatively chill about that in here.

I dunno. I think Flashing Lights was the last great narrative he had. I enjoy it's construction and simple imagery in comparison to the try hard to be complex and mixed plotlines he's been spewing as of recent.

He's suffering from the same identity crisis people called Nas out for (being a hypocrite in verse), but he can't rap well enough to pull it off. Doesn't help with the Jay influence either.

Yeezy still drops some gems, but this lane he's in is hilarious now.

I don't see that with this material though. Nas was directly contradicting himself with that stuff. Kanye's material (at the very least New Slaves) sounds like it comes more from his being jaded with the fame and the business side outside of music.

http://www.vibe.com/article/read-controversial-lyrics-kanye-wests-new-slaves

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Dat Guilty Gear footage...

slow-clap-gif.gif

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I don't see that with this material though. Nas was directly contradicting himself with that stuff. Kanye's material (at the very least New Slaves) sounds like it comes more from his being jaded with the fame and the business side outside of music.

http://www.vibe.com/article/read-controversial-lyrics-kanye-wests-new-slaves

We'll see. Everything this dude has been complaining about has been due to his own design and actions. It's childish. Honest, yes, but childish as hell.

How are you going to bitch about shit like reporters when you knocked up Kim K?
How are you going to complain about people playing you, when you can't control your mouth?
Still mad about what happened when you ran on stage messing with T Swift?
You mad that people still "treat you like you're black", when you keep saying you'd rather follow the stereotypes in song?

The list goes on.

If he does air everyone out and risk fucking his money up even more, I'll gladly eat crow. Now, he hasn't said shit new in that song, nor did he do it as well as some of the other rappers in that particular lane.

We'll see. Everything this dude has been complaining about has been due to his own design and actions. It's childish. Honest, yes, but childish as hell.

How are you going to complain about people playing you, when you can't control your mouth?
You mad that people still "treat you like you're black", when you keep saying you'd rather follow the stereotypes in song?

The list goes on.

If he does air everyone out and risk fucking his money up even more, I'll gladly eat crow. Now, he hasn't said shit new in that song, nor did he do it as well as some of the other rappers in that particular lane.

I think in the past he used to have a knowing wink in his music for his own culpability in playing himself. Now it seems like he just wants to talk about white people and rich people (the same to him).

Slayven

Who can I talk to about getting " if only they had a gun" banned? it has eclipsed " Nintendo is doom" as a conversation shitter.

DominoKid

Is that a new Guilty Gear I see? Hot damn the king is back

oh word? somehow it doesnt look good as i imagined a new Guilty Gear would. Ky looks silly w/ that ponytail too though.

might have to cop that shit to rock w/ Testament though. maybe i can get good at a fighter now that i have more free time.

The list goes on.

I don't know that all of that is justified criticism though. His mouth getting him into shit is a given (and the Swift thing is a part of that) but the rest of it I'm not so sure about. Lack of privacy in a relationship and profiling (whether it's poor or rich profiling) are legitimate complaints that I don't feel are hypocritical.

It's one thing to say "He should've known" but it's another to actually know and make the specific choice to try to sell an image, which is what Nas did. Kanye's been trying to branch out in all kinds of different directions with music, art, clothing, and all that but at the end of the day (apparently) people ignore it. It's like walking into a restaurant and a friend orders Fried Chicken so the waiter turns to you and says "And you'll have the same?"

But I agree there's nothing new being said. That's a deserved criticism. I just don't think he's necessarily being hypocritical. Now if he's got 'cash, money, clothes' track on this album or if he puts out material like that after this one.. then alright. Light him up for it.

DominoKid

Atheism is a fact stuff in here now too? Great, not enough of that elsewhere.

i think black people would do well to examine the effects of our toxic relationship w/ religion. whether they come to the same conclusion as me...i don't really care. but there's some obvious faults in that relationship.

harSon

Banned
i think black people would do well to examine the effects of our toxic relationship w/ religion. whether they come to the same conclusion as me...i don't really care. but there's some obvious faults in that relationship.

You should watch Spike Lee's Red Hook Summer. It's a heavily flawed film, but there's some great stuff in it. It really touches on the black community's relation to God, particularly indoctrination and our tendency to relinquish responsibility to God ("It's in God's hands now"). It's one of the few (only?) black films that I can think of that has an extremely critical and pessimistic view of religion.

DominoKid

You should watch Spike Lee's Red Hook Summer. It's a heavily flawed film, but there's some great stuff in it. It really touches on the black community's relation to God, particularly indoctrination and our tendency to relinquish responsibility to God ("It's in God's hands now"). It's one of the few (only?) black films that I can think of that has an extremely critical and pessimistic view of religion.

aaaaaahhhhhh i cant even describe how much i hate that shit.

that movie sounds right up my alley. i'll have to check that out on netflix.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

Here's the thing. I grew up being taught two fundamental things concerning that point of view.

Saying "it's in God's hands now" and being of that mindset should only be excused AFTER a person has taken all steps available to put themselves in the best position for a favourable outcome, given the circumstances. Hence why the other popular saying is "God helps those who help themselves"

People who just "leave it up to God" are misunderstanding how a relationship with God should work.

That being said, i will be checking out that film. Thanks for the recommendation.

Here's the thing. I grew up being taught two fundamental things concerning that point of view.

Saying "it's in God's hands now" and being of that mindset should only be excused AFTER a person has taken all steps available to put themselves in the best position for a favourable outcome, given the circumstances. Hence why the other popular saying is "God helps those who help themselves"

People who just "leave it up to God" are misunderstanding how a relationship with God should work.

That being said, i will be checking out that film. Thanks for the recommendation.

This, I was always taught to meet God halfway that he will show you the path but its up to you to walk it.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I still liked it, but a lot of it felt forced. Dialogue was nothing like Iron Man 1's.
After kinda sitting back and thinking on it a bit, I think it really got screwed on the action end since it followed up Avengers.

It was really just a mess though... it felt like the credits had more flow than anything else in the movie. That last fight though really irked me. It was a great idea and had a lot of potential to be awesome but it did nothing for me.

After kinda sitting back and thinking on it a bit, I think it really got screwed on the action end since it followed up Avengers.

It was really just a mess though... it felt like the credits had more flow than anything else in the movie. That last fight though really irked me. It was a great idea and had a lot of potential to be awesome but it did nothing for me.
No Iron Man movie has had a great ending fight, so I expected that.

At least this one lasted more than five minutes.

like supporting kids
He hasn't actually tried that so he can't say.

Concerning new slaves: i thought i was the only one that came away from the song thinking that kanye was a hypocrite. I see it like this. Kanye hates white people but they made him rich so he is gonna fuck their world up anyway he can. Think "they shoulda never gave you niggas money." I think it is also an attack on how whites accept rich black people not becuase they are black but because they are rich. It is as he said "even if you in a benz you still a nigga in a coop.". Reminds me of the scene from Do The Right Thing where money and fame is why that one guys favorite artists and athletes were all black. Take that away and you go back to being a nigga. Lastly, i think the song speaks to blacks as a whole and getting caught up in capitalism. A lot of people dont like us but they will take our money and speak ill of us behind our back. We are free now but we cant even pay our bills but we will do anything to say we got the latest gucci or prada. Thats how i see that song.

DominoKid

Concerning new slaves: i thought i was the only one that came away from the song thinking that kanye was a hypocrite. I see it like this. Kanye hates white people but they made him rich so he is gonna fuck their world up anyway he can. Think "they shoulda never gave you niggas money." I think it is also an attack on how whites accept rich black people not becuase they are black but because they are rich. It is as he said "even if you in a benz you still a nigga in a coop.". Reminds me of the scene from Do The Right Thing where money and fame is why that one guys favorite artists and athletes were all black. Take that away and you go back to being a nigga. Lastly, i think the song speaks to blacks as a whole and getting caught up in capitalism. A lot of people dont like us but they will take our money and speak ill of us behind our back. We are free now but we cant even pay our bills but we will do anything to say we got the latest gucci or prada. Thats how i see that song.

yeah idk why folks are acting like Kanye is acting brand new. he's always walked that line of racial commentary. he's always talked about the shit that white america feels deep down, but wont admit to.

before he used to do it with a smile and a wink. from MBDTF -> present, it's been w/ a sort of cold conviction. it makes them uncomfortable. i love it. i identify with it.

i posted this in gaf-hop. it's nothing we didnt know but it sums it up well.
i think it's by design really. Kanye likes to challenge (offend lol) people.
but yeah i definitely feel that sentiment. there's no place in the world for a black man who won't compromise himself.

Yeah that GG announcement caught me totally off guard. Im damn excited. Im just hoping Potemkin is in the game. Gotta rep that Potemkin Buster.
potem-super.gif

EDIT: Finally updated that avatar feels better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom