• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Shit is completely chaos part of me is tryimg to avoid it

The other part wants to be apart of the train wreck going on over there
Come on over, we've got punch and pie! No KFC though.

Noticed that there's a stark difference in the way industry pros react to claims of racism or misrepresentation of minorities as opposed to claims of sexism and women's rights/ representation.

Usually when a new article comes up about women in games, our team shares it around and discusses it at length. Everyone gets involved, because it is the thing to do.

The few times any decent articles (there's a fair amount of BS out there) about minorities in games come up, conversation dries up faster than a desert. Usually the one or two people bold enough to speak up deliver some "well, there has been progress" nonsense and i'm left feeling frustrated.

Sorry, just needed to rant.
Where do you work, again? Ubisoft?

Slayven

Personally think not allowing used games will hurt the game industry. People will be more selective in what they buy if they know they can't resell.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

Where do you work, again? Ubisoft?

Yeah, working on AC.

If it's Ubisoft, ugh, Frag Dolls. Before I was smart I applied to be one. The hell was I thinking.

Good thing you didn't. Without going into too much detail, i see them as a missed opportunity for us to have done some actual good. And most of the good ones have since retired or moved on to better jobs. Oh well.

Gorillaz

^The thing is slay MS got into the gaming world just to slow down sony. They said from the start that they want to be king of the living room. At this point they probably don't give a shit about gaming as much as people think

Now that the dust has settled a bit. I think MS' is gonna have a huge E3 and gaffers are gonna be shutting up and getting in line.
Dust ain't settling yet E3 is what? 18 days away? this is just getting started. I still expect MS to reach into dat War Chest. Don't know if it's for games or for media...but they will do something huge

deal breaker

Dust ain't settling yet E3 is what? 18 days away? this is just getting started. I still expect MS to reach into dat War Chest. Don't know if it's for games or for media...but they will do something huge

I guess I'm not that emotionally invested. After the shitshow and mass shittalk yesterday, I feel like 'meh....doubt it matters a whole lot after E3'

Good thing you didn't. Without going into too much detail, i see them as a missed opportunity for us to have done some actual good. And most of the good ones have since retired or moved on to better jobs. Oh well.

Detail doesn't seem necessary. They were basically in-house booth babes who did actually play games and blogged about it. They didn't seem particularly useful honestly.

Slayven

Yeah, working on AC.

Can you put in a word for me with Jade?

^The thing is slay MS got into the gaming world just to slow down sony. They said from the start that they want to be king of the living room. At this point they probably don't give a shit about gaming as much as people think

deal breaker

I just want to watch tv, not this other shit. Plus who is going to support this when it goes wrong? Cable company or MS?

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Detail doesn't seem necessary. They were basically in-house booth babes who did actually play games and blogged about it. They didn't seem particularly useful honestly.

They have a bit more marketing clout now. And they seem really focused on the e-sports side of things with Shootmania. most of the OG Dolls were competitive gamers to start with. If i were in charge of that program, shit would be so different.

Can you put in a word for me with Jade?

She's gonna be at E3 i hear.

Jade-Raymond-005.jpg

They have a bit more marketing clout now. And they seem really focused on the e-sports side of things with Shootmania. most of the OG Dolls were competitive gamers to start with. If i were in charge of that program, shit would be so different.

I played with some, they were good at games but it seemed like wasted talent.

Slayven

She's gonna be at E3 i hear.

Jade-Raymond-005.jpg

I avoid nerd gatherings, I have a sensitive nose, and low tolerance for bullshit.

Slayven

This Major Nelson Q&A is cringeworthy.

Ask me anything! Keep in mind, I know nothing.
Major Nelson is only good for posting sales. Dude is a glorfied community manager.

I swear if someone set up a deodorant stand at places like PAX, they would make serious bank!
I don't think thats the problem.

I am pretty sure it's not a problem of "oh no, geez, I just showered and can't find my AXE"

They afraid of water, and don't socialize enough to be told they stank.

DominoKid

are those conventions really that bad? i almost went to an anime convention here one year but the horror stories of game/anime conventions really put me off.

Don't use the bathrooms there. Don't get close to people. Don't be in an enclosed space. Yes the smells are that putrid. It doesn't help that the BO mixes with whatever awful costume plastic and vinyl people wear.

Slayven

are those conventions really that bad? i almost went to an anime convention here one year but the horror stories of game/anime conventions really put me off.

It very much depands on how much you are into the stuff, and your general mindset. I been to a few conventions, but I usually hit up the dealers and than leave.

Don't use the bathrooms there. Don't get close to people. Don't be in an enclosed space. Yes the smells are that putrid. It doesn't help that the BO mixes with whatever awful costume plastic and vinyl people wear.

funk dies hard

I've only gone to two with friends (in the hopes of running into one of those hot cosplayers, to no luck) and yeah it smells pretty awful when there's a lot of people.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing

Bringing back memories. I nearly threw up.

Go to an open "booth" and stay there. And go for the parties.

Deprive

Yeah, I never believed that until tekko 2012. Like damn would it kill them to wash up and use deo :|

I think I'm still in denial about the whole thing. As someone who doesn't like to leave the house without showering if I'm gonna be gone longer than an hour tops, I can't fathom the idea of not wanting to shower before heading into an area filled with people.

DominoKid

It very much depands on how much you are into the stuff, and your general mindset. I been to a few conventions, but I usually hit up the dealers and than leave.

funk dies hard

i'm not that into it. i like anime. but i'm not really into the culture like that anymore. middle school me would've been all over it though.

I've only gone to two with friends (in the hopes of running into one of those hot cosplayers, to no luck) and yeah it smells pretty awful when there's a lot of people.

Yeah, I never believed that until tekko 2012. Like damn would it kill them to wash up and use deo :|

damn. well then.

cdyhybrid

Nate is coming back to Seattle to coach the former Bucks/Bobcats under Phil Jackson's front office, he can't take any of these jobs. CP3 is SOL.

Also Jade is attractive but if I can trash her in Mario Kart (or some other awesome multiplayer game) I dunno if I can sign up for that.

I think I'm still in denial about the whole thing. As someone who doesn't like to leave the house without showering if I'm gonna be gone longer than an hour tops, I can't fathom the idea of not wanting to shower before heading into an area filled with people.

I know what you mean. I shower twice a day, and I often go up to 4 times a day when I'm back at home.

Slayven

Summer time down here you have to bath before you leave the house and when you get back. You be sweating like Dy on Maury.

Gorillaz

Speaking of conventions you guys gotta go to midnight releases. Shit is hilarious .I remember going to to MW2 midnight release at Gamestop and remember how shitty it smelled there.

Air condition broke
Had old ass subs sitting in the middle of the room
Had an 8 year old playing MW2 (that mission where they shot up the Airport. IN FRONT of his mom and shit)

Havn't went to one since but probably will go to the one on my campus for GTA 5

cdyhybrid

Speaking of conventions you guys gotta go to midnight releases. Shit is hilarious .I remember going to to MW2 midnight release at Gamestop and remember how shitty it smelled there.

Air condition broke
Had old ass subs sitting in the middle of the room
Had an 8 year old playing MW2 (that mission where they shot up the Airport. IN FRONT of his mom and shit)

Havn't went to one since but probably will go to the one on my campus for GTA 5

Only ones I've been to are WotLK (WoW expansion) and Smash Bros. Brawl. But the place was maybe a mile away from campus, so it was mostly college kids who had some semblance of regular social interaction, even if they were a bit nerdy.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Only ones I've been to are WotLK (WoW expansion) and Smash Bros. Brawl. But the place was maybe a mile away from campus, so it was mostly college kids who had some semblance of regular social interaction, even if they were a bit nerdy.

the only thing close to a midnight event ive been to was a gamestop tournament for mario kart ds. a bunch of teenagers and dudes who should not be around kids. i actually felt bad making grown men cry.

DominoKid

my Harry Potter days put me off midnight releases forever. nothing bad outside of the usual freakshow, i just don't need anything that bad to have it at midnight.

Nate is coming back to Seattle to coach the former Bucks/Bobcats under Phil Jackson's front office, he can't take any of these jobs. CP3 is SOL.

idk why folks think the Bobcats are going anywhere. yeah they suck, but they're locked in here for a while.

cdyhybrid

my Harry Potter days put me off midnight releases forever. nothing bad outside of the usual freakshow, i just don't need anything that bad to have it at midnight.

idk why folks think the Bobcats are going anywhere. yeah they suck, but they're locked in here for a while.

Aren't they hemorrhaging money though?

are midnight launches as bad as black friday events?

For games? Nah. Don't have all the crazy soccer moms trampling people to get that TV. Although if the place is smart they just hand out tickets to people waiting in line before they open, and the deals are already gone when the store opens.

DominoKid

Aren't they hemorrhaging money though?

For games? Nah. Don't have all the crazy soccer moms trampling people to get that TV. Although if the place is smart they just hand out tickets to people waiting in line before they open, and the deals are already gone when the store opens.

idk, you'd have to ask Dy about it. i don't really care about the Bobcats outside of proximity-based interest. i don't think they're going anywhere though, especially w/ the Hornets switch incoming. it'd be kind of pointless, and a waste of money from rebranding, to go through all of that and then move really soon.

is -$13 million hemorrhaging? they have cut their losses each of the past 3 years though.
http://www.forbes.com/teams/charlotte-bobcats/

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I remember game stores over here having to call taxis for customers at MW2 midnight launch, cos folks were getting mugged on the way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom