• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero_suit

yo

Bfz6rfDIYAAL_J2.jpg:large

lol, Knuckes is swole.

I'd be out. Not because I can't wait, it just seems fucking weird.

I'd be looking at them like they were crazy and say "OK...do you normally have a problem with these kinds of things that you have to set rules like that? Didn't realize we were in kindergarten again."

Might be high maintenance, like she would complain when you sneak her into a movie or ask her to split a value meal.

she's saying its just about forming an emotional connection and all that before a physical connection...aka I just want to make sure you're going to stick around

I'm not tripping yet but if I don't hit on valentines day I'm catching a cab

PlayDat

Black History Month got me thinking about my social studies teacher back in 7th grade. Dude was the textbook example of liberal white "I don't see color" type of racist.

Worst part of it all is that I was young enough to still think that being a teacher meant that a person was always right so not only did I never challenge the stuff he said, I usually ate that shit up and would regurgitate his bs myself since I believed it all. He complained in class a couple times about parents who accused him of being racist and his response was always something to the effect of "I can't possibly be racist or I wouldn't be teaching at a school that was 90% black."

He'd say stuff like we shouldn't call black people black since we're all different shades. To be truly black you skin tone had to match that of a black crayon.

He tried to defend use of the N word. He never actually said it in class, but I get the feeling he thought it was unfair for black people to expect whites not to use despite using the word themselves. On numerous occasion he'd tell us "the word really just means ignorant, you know. You can call anyone the N word regardless of race. That's how it people used it in the past. (I've never come across any evidence backing this up.)" My personal view is that having a blanket policy is kind of ridiculous, so I take context and intent into account when my non black friends say it. I really don't like making a huge deal out of it.

One February me made a point to NOT teach us any black history. He said the stuff out other teachers made us do for the month wasn't really teaching us anything (To be fair he had a point. Most of time all we ever did was color in some picture of MLK's face or watch a movie in class about the last years of his life). This sounded like a good idea on its surface, but he never taught us any black history in any of the other months either. If he actually gave a shit he could have used the opportunity to give the education we hadn't been receiving in the years prior.

The same month he assigned us a project. It was to write a short biography about anyone. There wasn't a "no black people" rule, but the comments he made in class definitely discouraged us from writing about blacks. Sure enough when the due date came around, he had us all present in front of the class and I think only one girl's project was about someone black and her's was about her mom.

I really should have caught how awful he was sooner. When we got the WW2 section of the textbook he adamant about how internment camps were necessary and that "Asian Americans needed them for their own good."

Slayven

Black History Month got me thinking about my social studies teacher back in 7th grade. Dude was the textbook example of liberal white "I don't see color" type of racist.

Worst part of it all is that I was young enough to still think that being a teacher meant that a person was always right so not only did I never challenge the stuff he said, I usually ate that shit up and would regurgitate his bs myself since I believed it all. He complained in class a couple times about parents who accused him of being racist and his response was always something to the effect of "I can't possibly be racist or I wouldn't be teaching at a school that was 90% black."

He'd say stuff like we shouldn't call black people black since we're all different shades. To be truly black you skin tone had to match that of a black crayon.

He tried to defend use of the N word. He never actually said it in class, but I get the feeling he thought it was unfair for black people to expect whites not to use despite using the word themselves. On numerous occasion he'd tell us "the word really just means ignorant, you know. You can call anyone the N word regardless of race. That's how it people used it in the past. (I've never come across any evidence backing this up.)" My personal view is that having a blanket policy is kind of ridiculous, so I take context and intent into account when my non black friends say it. I really don't like making a huge deal out of it.

One February me made a point to NOT teach us any black history. He said the stuff out other teachers made us do for the month wasn't really teaching us anything (To be fair he had a point. Most of time all we ever did was color in some picture of MLK's face or watch a movie in class about the last years of his life). This sounded like a good idea on its surface, but he never taught us any black history in any of the other months either. If he actually gave a shit he could have used the opportunity to give the education we hadn't been receiving in the years prior.

The same month he assigned us a project. It was to write a short biography about anyone. There wasn't a "no black people" rule, but the comments he made in class definitely discouraged us from writing about blacks. Sure enough when the due date came around, he had us all present in front of the class and I think only one girl's project was about someone black and her's was about her mom.

I really should have caught how awful he was sooner. When we got the WW2 section of the textbook he adamant about how internment camps were necessary and that "Asian Americans needed them for their own good."

that is the worst kind. Makes my blood boil.

Cot damn

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

Fuck! Internet idiocy is one thing but a person like this being a teacher is disgusting.

Item Box

Someone please tell me the designs are just a one-off thing for the upcoming game and tv series

please

edit: Jesus take the wheel there's fucking dubstep in this trailer

The new sonic designs are terribad.

Beef post if ur ok
I think I've finally reached that level of zen apathy that fellow poster "Sega1991" has reached when it comes to Sonic announcements. The designs other than Knuckles' hilarious proportions and Sonic's weirdly long legs are fine, though.
Fuck that, we almost threw HotColdman out of SonicGAF for making a thread about that trash.
Looks like he never had one..
Who needs leg day when you can glide tho

Hey, at least he got one thing right!
On numerous occasion he'd tell us "the word really just means ignorant, you know. You can call anyone the N word regardless of race. That's how it people used it in the past. (I've never come across any evidence backing this up.)"
I've always found this defense of the word...curious. It's almost like the whole, "Hey, I don't think any less of gay people; I just called it gay because it means stupid!" except with such a degree of specificity of usage towards black people that I can't help but wonder why it wasn't used against non-black people earlier!

The first comment on that article...wowza

The over-reaction to this is bewildering. The school did nothing wrong and shouldn't be castigated for an honest celebration of African American culture. It's the same thing as serving rice during the Chinese New Year or tacos during Cinco de Mayo. These three foods are an accurate representation, if not a staple of all typical African American's diets. Why hide from the truth under a blanket of lies rather than celebrate the culture that makes up a large part of our population?

Since you can't really say someone's decisions on a creative project are "right" or "wrong,": if a game developer decides to go for historical accuracy and includes character customization, is leaving out ethnicity/sex options congruent with their "historical accuracy" goal?

Swallow thread gettin' some real wtf posts.

I can't read through such threads without shaking my head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom