• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

I remember me and a friend were in Stockholm back in 2006, and we ended up going into a random convenience store there to get a snack.

I told the guy working there that I wanted to get a chocolate muffin. Me and my friend both swear we heard him say "Chocolate? Oh...black, of course, yesssss". We didn't think anything of it at the moment, but as soon as we walked out I looked at her and asked:

"Wait...did that dude just say something racist?"

She looked at me, and then we both just started cracking up. To this day, me and my friend still randomly say "black, of course" with a Swedish accent whenever we do something stereotypically black.

I still have no idea if random Swedish 7-11 guy was trying to be racist on the low though. Do black people eat a lot of chocolate in Sweden or something? I dunno

wow, wtf? chocolate of all things, lol.

anyway i was browsing for an avatar for this month, and found out that george lucas is married to a black woman, along with like 5-6 other billionaires lol. i have been slacking mang.

anyway, can one of you guys plz turn this into an avatar for me. pleasssse.

kim-kardashian-reggie-bush-gq-magazine-3_display_image.jpg

Enzom21

You'd think we were back in 1950 or something. Choke it up and ignore it. Smdh.

The amount of effort some put into justifying their reasoning why we should brush it all off has me like wtf?

Welcome to GAF, where we are mostly liberal... except when it comes to racism and sexism that shit is over, get over it!

That Marcus Smart thread pales in comparison to some of the nonsense that has been posted here.

There was a thread where a bunch a of white people bitched and moaned that black people could say "nigga" free of consequence and they couldn't. "It was unfair and the conditional usage bullshit had to stop."

lmao @ racists lurking BCT and whining about it on other threads/IRC instead of posting in here.

You want me to post here? I don't care where I post. I just don't like people calling others racist/ignorant behind their backs.

Also appreciate being called racist. Thanks.

IRC? Really? People that mad about this thread?

Quotes?

If he's talking about me, I haven't used IRC in like 10 years so I don't know where he got that from.

IRC? Really? People that mad about this thread?

Quotes?

Probably feel uncomfortable to post here. Many of them have no idea of what it is like to actually be in the minority for once. I remember when my ex came over my house for my college grad and was around nothing but blacks for tbe first time in her life she understood what how i felt at my all white uni. Some people arent ready for a different perspective.

Edit: reminds me of season 2 of the avatar where zuko lived among the earth kingdom peoples. Only then did he realized that he was living in a world of ignorance and prejudice and downright brainwashing.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
You want me to post here? I don't care where I post. I just don't like people calling others racist/ignorant behind their backs.

If he's talking about me, I haven't used IRC in like 10 years so I don't know where he got that from.

He's probably not talking about you then. lol

Enzom21

If you had issue with something written in this thread, why not post in this thread about it?

If you haven't posted in IRC then he clearly wasn't talking about you.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

i dont understand why you said anything then. if you arent on irc then he wasnt talking about you it seems

EDIT: late as fucking usual

Thanks for stopping by,

say it with your chest next time, you aren't on IRC.. so you have no relevance to his post.

EDIT: ya'll too quick. I lurk other threads between posting and you guys stomp the fire out.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Every thread on racism ever.

Welcome to GAF, where we are mostly liberal... except when it comes to racism and sexism that shit is over, get over it!

That Marcus Smart thread pales in comparison to some of the nonsense that has been posted here.

There was a thread where a bunch a of white people bitched and moaned that black people could say "nigga" free of consequence and they couldn't. "It was unfair and the conditional usage bullshit had to stop."

I guess since I joined so late I got a hellah lot to catch up with lol

If you had issue with something written in this thread, why not post in this thread about it?

If you haven't posted in IRC then he clearly wasn't talking about you.

As I said in the other thread, I still feel that it had more relevance there.
He's probably not talking about you then. lol
i dont understand why you said anything then. if you arent on irc then he wasnt talking about you it seems

EDIT: late as fucking usual
That's for stopping by,

say it with your chest next time, you aren't on IRC.. so you have no relevance to his post.

EDIT: ya'll too quick. I lurk other threads between posting and you guys stomp the fire out.

I didn't view the post as a coincidence so I didn't treat it like one.

Lurk BCT, too scared to post, then go off when you think a post is about you. The insecurity and narcissism.

Again, thanks.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I was preparing this post for the other thread before it got closed. Perhaps it'll shed some light on why people don't like what you were saying in the other thread:

Because I'm not a minority I don't understand what it's like to be insulted or feel the want to inflict physical harm on someone? Is that what you're saying?

Please clarify for me.

Yes. You don't understand what it's like for a word to make you feel subhuman. Regardless of your educational background, economic prospects or social status, with one word a white person can make you feel like you're less than human. Even if by every other metric of success you are better off, they still have power over you with one word.

That's what it feels like to be called a nigger. It's something white people have never and probably will never understand because being the ethnic majority throughout history there's never been an equivalent for you. At least one that you would strongly associate with today.

So yes let me tell you that you 100% do not understand. Especially if this anecdote of yours is your reference point:

I was bullied in middle school. I still to this day don't know why. I wasn't a super nerd. I didn't play magic cards before school. Just two or three guys didn't like me. So they picked on me. They insulted me. They hit me.

Someone who was made fun of for reasons they don't even understand or recognize can't possibly understand what it's like to be attacked because of what you are.

and because of that, saying things like this:

I am not telling anyone who is a victim of racism to "deal with it". I'm telling them to fix the system. We can all do it. We should all encourage it to be done.

Just comes off as extremely naive at best.

I was preparing this post for the other thread before it got closed. Perhaps it'll shed some light on why people don't like what you were saying in the other thread:

Yes. You don't understand what it's like for a word to make you feel subhuman. Regardless of your educational background, economic prospects or social status, with one word a white person can make you feel like you're less than human. Even if by every other metric you are better off, they still have power over you with one word.

That's what it feels like to be called a nigger. It's something white people have never and probably will never understand because being the ethnic majority throughout history there's never been an equivalent for you.

So yes let me tell you that you 100% do not understand. Especially if this anecdote of yours is your reference point:

Someone who was made fun of for reasons they don't understand can't possibly understand what it's like to be attacked because of what you are.

and because of that, saying things like this

from what I've read from his posts it just seems like he champions naivety.

Wimwood, tell us how you really feel next time you come by.. because being naive doesn't solve anything, it makes your posts seem flakey.

Yes. You don't understand what it's like for a word to make you feel subhuman. Regardless of your educational background, economic prospects or social status, with one word a white person can make you feel like you're less than human. Even if by every other metric you are better off, they still have power over you with one word.

That's what it feels like to be called a nigger. It's something white people have never and probably will never understand because being the ethnic majority throughout history there's never been an equivalent for you.

Someone who was made fun of for reasons they don't understand can't possibly understand what it's like to be attacked because of what you are.

I understand that I don't understand. I really honestly do. I've had a similar conversation plenty of times in my life. I understand it's an extremely hurtful word, that I don't fully comprehend the deep hate it can generate, and won't be able to in my life most likely.

I disagree that I can't be made to feel subhuman at the same time and that I might not understand what it's like. Almost certainly not on the same scale of course and not in such a simple quick word, but I stand by the anecdote as a way to handle hate in a non violent way. I understand I was extremely lucky and I am grateful for it going the way it did.

People seemed to be mistaking my largely pacifistic and non violent approach with 'deal with it' and I took offense to that, especially when they couldn't say it to my face in the thread where it was actually being discussed.

and because of that, saying things like this

I never said it wasn't pie in the sky, best case scenerio let's all hold hands and sing kumbya. But it's still a hell of a lot better than both 'deal with it' and 'whatever he shoved a guy he had it coming' in my mind.

from what I've read from his posts it just seems like he champions naivety.

Wimwood, tell us how you really feel next time you come by.. because being naive doesn't solve anything, it makes your posts seem flakey.

I don't believe I have ever once in my life championed naïvety. Optimism? Maybe. But being naïve is closer to ignorance. I feel my posts are fairly consistent and I wouldn't call them flakey. Feel free to point out examples.

Yes. You don't understand what it's like for a word to make you feel subhuman. Regardless of your educational background, economic prospects or social status, with one word a white person can make you feel like you're less than human. Even if by every other metric of success you are better off, they still have power over you with one word.

That's what it feels like to be called a nigger. It's something white people have never and probably will never understand because being the ethnic majority throughout history there's never been an equivalent for you. At least one that you would strongly associate with today.

Someone who was made fun of for reasons they don't even understand or recognize can't possibly understand what it's like to be attacked because of what you are.

and because of that, saying things like this:

Excellent post. Sums up my feelings on the matter. Look at richard sherman. Rich, well spoken, NFC champ, ivy league educated. In a matter of seconds all that is stripped away and he becomes a nigger thug.

"Even if you in a Benz you still just a nigga in a coup"--Kanye West, All Falls Down from The College Dropout.

Let me tell ya cliffy B. I know you think highly of macklemore but this one line is more signficant than anything macklemore has ever said and/or rapped about.

Enzom21

I guess since I joined so late I got a hellah lot to catch up with lol
Just search "nigger" "nigga" or "racism" and marvel at all of the stupid nonsense.

As I said in the other thread, I still feel that it had more relevance there.

If you wanted to have an actual conversation about it, you would have posted it here correct?

Excellent post. Sums up my feelings on the matter. Look at richard sherman. Rich, well spoken, NFC champ, ivy league educated. In a matter of seconds all that is stripped away and he becomes a nigger thug.

"Even if you in a Benz you still just a nigga in a coup"--Kanye West, All Falls Down from The College Dropout.

Let me tell ya cliffy B. I know you think highly of macklemore but this one line is more signficant than anything macklemore has ever said and/or rapped about.

Let's not forget the "thuggification" of Trayvon Martin. He was murdered and instead of him getting any kind of justice, it became all about him being a pot smoking thug.

Just search "nigger" "nigga" or "racism" and marvel at all of the stupid nonsense.

If you wanted to have an actual conversation about it, you would have posted it here correct?

Clarifying my position in that thread about that subject is what I did.

I did it because of a response in this thread. It wasn't necessarily relevant here.

I understand that I don't understand. I really honestly do. I've had a similar conversation plenty of times in my life. I understand it's an extremely hurtful word, that I don't fully comprehend the deep hate it can generate, and won't be able to in my life most likely.

I disagree that I can't be made to feel subhuman at the same time and that I might not understand what it's like. Almost certainly not on the same scale of course and not in such a simple quick word, but I stand by the anecdote as a way to handle hate in a non violent way. I understand I was extremely lucky and I am grateful for it going the way it did.

People seemed to be mistaking my largely pacifistic and non violent approach with 'deal with it' and I took offense to that, especially when they couldn't say it to my face in the thread where it was actually being discussed.

I never said it wasn't pie in the sky, best case scenerio let's all hold hands and sing kumbya. But it's still a hell of a lot better than both 'deal with it' and 'whatever he shoved a guy he had it coming' in my mind.

I don't believe I have ever once in my life championed naïvety. Optimism? Maybe. But being naïve is closer to ignorance.

I believe non violence is the answer in many cases. However in sports people often feel like they are at liberty to treat athletes in whatever way they choose. Like the athlete is not human and is there for their entertainment. They feel protected and hid behind some sort of notion that they are untouchable. If you take this notion to heart and proceed to add deep seated racial hatred to the mix, it is anyones game.

You still are in no position to comment. You bear a chilhood of bullying. We endure a lifetime of it in addition to seeing how our ancestors were treated for hundreds of years. Sometimes doing nothing just doesnt cut it. Sometimes you have to let people know you are human and that their hurtful words cannot continue to fly without consequence. Sometimes you have to take a stand as peaceful and as non violent as you may want to be. No one is able to tell Smart what he shoukd have done in this instance (assuming a slur was said). It was his call and rightly so. The fan put himself in that position and deserved what Smart felt he was due. Its like slapping a bull elephant in heat and expecting to come away scot free.

BHZ Mayor

I find it funny how posters think we should "just deal with it" when it comes to race issues and posters constantly being willfully obtuse at best about race relations, rushing to come to the defense of such situations such as:

*Racist tweets solely because a character in a movie is black
*People in Hollywood calling others 'niggers'
*People saying that blacks were happier in slavery
*The killing of a teenage boy who was only walking home from a convenience store
*The assassination of said boy's character on this forum alone, not to mention throughout the media
*The plethora of blackface and racist costumes displayed during Halloween, including a depiction of a dead Trayvon Martin (complete with gunshot wound) and dressing a child in Klan outfit
*A stop and frisk system in which the people who run in admit that it targets more blacks and latinos than whites
*Black soccer players having bananas thrown at them
*A kid being killed solely because his music was too loud
*A young woman being killed about knocking on someone's door to ask for help after a car accident
*The assassination of an NFL player's character for a heated post-game interview
*A Black History Month "celebration" which consisted solely of serving fried chicken, watermelon, and cornbread

but then can't "just deal with it" when we vent about it in this thread.

Just empathize based on the history of discrimination/what people tell you and stop trying to draw half-ass parallels.

Happens in tons of discussions about bigotry or gender issues where it just makes you look insensitive. Like when people bring up being mugged in a thread about rape.

JohnDoe

Banned
Just empathize based on the history of discrimination/what people tell you and stop trying to draw half-ass parallels.

Happens in tons of discussions about bigotry or gender issues where it just makes you look insensitive. Like when people bring up being mugged in a thread about rape.

This has seriously happened?

Let's not forget the "thuggification" of Trayvon Martin. He was murdered and instead of him getting any kind of justice, it became all about him being a pot smoking thug.

Honesly even as a black man the media and society wants me to be racist agaisnt my own kind. I fear the black man in the hoodie and quickly distance myself from the black person who uses ebonics. I find myself surprised when i find intelligent blacks because the media told me that they are all supposed to be stupid. Im even questioning why i like white women in the first place. I am almost certain that ive just been conditioned to. It is really disturbing and i find myself questioning my company. I moved from ny at the age of 14 and have been around whites ever since (im 23).

Just like to point that if someone tells me or any of us those issues aren't always on people's minds...look at these post above & the nonsense we deal with in our everyday lives.

I believe non violence is the answer in many cases. However in sports people often feel like they are at liberty to treat athletes in whatever way they choose. Like the athlete is not human and is there for their entertainment. They feel protected and hid behind some sort of notion that they are untouchable. If you take this notion to heart and proceed to add deep seated racial hatred to the mix, it is anyones game.

You still are in no position to comment. You bear a chilhood of bullying. We endure a lifetime of it in addition to seeing how our ancestors were treated for hundreds of years. Sometimes doing nothing just doesnt cut it. Sometimes you have to let people know you are human and that their hurtful words cannot continue to fly without consequence. Sometimes you have to take a stand as peaceful and as non violent as you may want to be. No one is able to tell Smart what he shoukd have done in this instance (assuming a slur was said). It was his call and rightly so. The fan put himself in that position and deserved what Smart felt he was due.

Non violence doesn't mean doing nothing. You have completely missed my point.

Its like slapping a bull elephant in heat and expecting to come away scot free.
I don't really agree with this but okay.
I find it funny how posters think we should "just deal with it" when it comes to race issues and posters constantly being willfully obtuse at best about race relations, rushing to come to the defense of such situations such as:

*Racist tweets solely because a character in a movie is black
*People in Hollywood calling others 'niggers'
*People saying that blacks were happier in slavery
*The killing of a teenage boy who was only walking home from a convenience store
*The assassination of said boy's character on this forum alone, not to mention throughout the media
*The plethora of blackface and racist costumes displayed during Halloween, including a depiction of a dead Trayvon Martin (complete with gunshot wound) and dressing a child in Klan outfit
*A stop and frisk system in which the people who run in admit that it targets more blacks and latinos than whites
*Black soccer players having bananas thrown at them
*A kid being killed solely because his music was too loud
*A young woman being killed about knocking on someone's door to ask for help after a car accident
*The assassination of an NFL player's character for a heated post-game interview
*A Black History Month "celebration" which consisted solely of serving fried chicken, watermelon, and cornbread

but then can't "just deal with it" when we vent about it in this thread.
I didn't tell anyone to 'deal with it', and I didn't 'deal with it' myself in response. I was clarifying my position. If you want I can easily leave you to your venting. I don't care, I've clarified myself plenty at this point, and if you misinterpret it, that's not on me.

I feel we're really talking past each other here.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah. Unlike high school where they're forced to take things like bullying very seriously, unfortunately there aren't as many safeguards to racism in regular society.

Especially when it comes to "name calling", which is what nigger usually falls under, where it's mostly just hearsay.

And unlike with your case there's really not much confusion when someone calls you nigger. You can move away to a place no one knows you and reinvent yourself after high school if you were bullied for being a nerd or something, but I mean no matter where you go in the US black is black.

I think what most people,myself included, had a problem with was not what you were saying. but how you were saying it.

because you're right, the non-violent approach is always the preferable method, but I don't think that makes reactions like Smart's so irredeemable. Which is how you came off. That the player was absolutely wrong for reacting that way.

From my experience when it comes to situations like the one in the other thread, people are quick to punish and condemn the retaliatory party and not the instigating one. and your post kind of came off in line with that. To paraphrase, society kind of tells us "Saying nigger is bad, but pushing someone is unacceptable" and quite frankly to me and others in this thread that's bullshit.

I think it was the absolute black and white dichotomy in which you framed your argument that bothered most of us here. It just demonstrated a lack of empathy for how the word makes black people feel. That they should just shrug it off and take the high road and if they don't they're wrong for it.

I'm not asking you to compromise your world view and say that violence is acceptable or ok, but just understand why an individual would react that way and that it doesn't make them a bad person under certain circumstances.

because I can't stress enough that being called a nigger can't be understood through the reference point of being bullied for playing magic cards at lunch, and as a result the same expectations can't be placed upon both sets of circumstances equally.

JohnDoe

Banned
Oh constantly and I'm not just talking GAF here for the record, in general. Or any kind of thievery. I left my car in a shady area blah blah blah.

I've seen this before on another site. It happens quite often. Victim blaming is easier than just saying "we should stand up and tell assailants that what they're doing is wrong and they should be penalized".

Well I sure as hell know about victim blaming but the "I got mugged!" analogy was new to me.

This type of thing happens constantly here.

There was one dude who claimed that him not being able to open carry in a store was just like being discriminated against because of your race or sexuality.

And this one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom