• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
it's basically the same people since 2005 and old timers, that's why everyone on wrassle gaf trolls the shit out of it now

the worst thing is that it's usually not, but they keep bringing them back for PPVs while the regular dudes keep doing what they're doing, until they get too popular; then HHH will jump into whatever they're doing and bring back some part time asshole who used to be popular when he was actually active

Gorillaz

the worst thing is that it's usually not, but they keep bringing them back for PPVs while the regular dudes keep doing what they're doing, until they get too popular; then HHH will jump into whatever they're doing and bring back some part time asshole who used to be popular when he was actually active

I love how they painted themselves into a corner uniting the titles and bringing back Batista for "possible" that match. Nobody wants to see the same people in the same main event. Also I love how Cena thinks burying every single Heel including up and coming ones is good. He's probably starving to bury The shield and wyatt family.

They are just so out of touch right now

Man Oakland is just wild as fuck. They give absolutely NO fucks. I mean they were all running redlights without giving a single fuck, a dude was ran over and just laid there…with no one helping him, just wildin out. Savages out there. Chapelle was right.

More hollywood whitewashing, a Korean playing a Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=619VGNUBFIE

I didn't know Paul Walker could dance.

Still tryin to make BoA happen I see.

What do you need an axe for? You cutting firewood or something?

Nah You know I work security. So im at the gate and this tree fucking falls over in the road. Since i am in between calls I tell the other officers that I will take care of it while they handle all the other shit that happened in the neighborhood. I get out there and chop that fucker up and throw it to the side of the road. So now a safety hazard is out the way and shit is good to go.

I always carry stuff like that in the car. An axe, jumper cables, towels and blanket. Just random shit you never know when you will need it. But I was about to leave the axe at home and something said to bring it. I am glad I listened. Also use the axe head to scrape the ice off the windshield.

EDIT: good looking on that Narshe reference. I am glad you got that shit. But thats why I love BCT, people get the jokes.

cdyhybrid

Nah You know I work security. So im at the gate and this tree fucking falls over in the road. Since i am in between calls I tell the other officers that I will take care of it while they handle all the other shit that happened in the neighborhood. I get out there and chop that fucker up and throw it to the side of the road. So now a safety hazard is out the way and shit is good to go.

I always carry stuff like that in the car. An axe, jumper cables, towels and blanket. Just random shit you never know when you will need it. But I was about to leave the axe at home and something said to bring it. I am glad I listened. Also use the axe head to scrape the ice off the windshield.

EDIT: good looking on that Narshe reference. I am glad you got that shit. But thats why I love BCT, people get the jokes.

Nice. Always be prepared.

Only one title I am buying thus far this month thats not some bargain bin shit and thats EDF 2025. So damn hyped for that shit. Im so hyped i am playing goddamn Insect Armageddon because i let my boy borrow my 360 with 2017. Cannot wait for the glory of killing those damn ravagers.

That's a very specific part of Oakland.

Oakland is pretty big.

You'll be fine in several parts of Oakland.
I'm more shocked people are so matter of fact about it.

"Yeah there's this part of town that has become the thunderdome, but it's only a small part between the hours of 11pm and 4am."

so basically BCT can/will survive any apocalypse

http://styleblazer.com/191954/25-celebrities-forget-black/

I kinda want someone to make a thread. I just want to watch the world burn.

I guess that means one can't claim there are few Black people on TV then.......

I think the American - "If you're part black, then you are black" is quite strange tbh. In England, at least where I live, if you are of mixed heritage then you are called "mixed race", not that you couldn't call yourself black, but I don't think that would be a default terminology unless you looked dark like Obama does. I can't imagine myself seeing Wentworth Miller being called a great black actor, or something of the like. I think the boxing of people into either white or black isn't really necessary we have more than enough vocal to express one's heritage if we want to.

If I got anything to say about it. I mean overall we have the skillsets for any incoming apocalypse. Ranging from our backgrounds to our social circles, what we lack we can easily learn. I got mad faith in that BCT.

when all else fails a combined BCT dehumanizing stare could destroy the T-virus

BHZ Mayor

I think the American - "If you're part black, then you are black" is quite strange tbh. In England, at least where I live, if you are of mixed heritage then you are called "mixed race", not that you couldn't call yourself black, but I don't think that would be a default terminology unless you looked dark like Obama does. I can't imagine myself seeing Wentworth Miller being called a great black actor, or something of the like. I think the boxing of people into either white or black isn't really necessary we have more than enough vocal to express one's heritage if we want to.

Blame the one-drop rule for that. It was used to push racist laws mostly as a pushback to interracial relationships. But we've taken that and used it as a show of solidarity. It's like Angelus said earlier. If you're black/white mixed, the black community will usually be quicker to accept you as their own than the other way around.

Only one title I am buying thus far this month thats not some bargain bin shit and thats EDF 2025. So damn hyped for that shit. Im so hyped i am playing goddamn Insect Armageddon because i let my boy borrow my 360 with 2017. Cannot wait for the glory of killing those damn ravagers.

I played the shit out of PS3 Insect Armageddon when I was in Grad school. I don't usually put in that many hours into mediocre game but such was my need to help out the EDF. So hyped for the first proper ps3 EDF

the new Hunter X Hunter episode

i7giMPVBBwIW1.gif

Kreed

We still say "mixed" in the US, but as BHZ Mayor pointed out, the one-drop rule created an environment and culture in the US black community that has allowed for anyone with African ancestry to be accepted in the group and that culture still persists (white US citizens not being as easily accepting of mixed people as black citizens are within the group). The other thing is many black people in the US have white ancestry/other group ancestry somewhere down their family lines (Scottish, Native Americans, etc...).

Regardless, it is a social construct at the end of the day. If you want to get technical, the term black should only apply to US citizens with US slave ancestry, which was how the term was originally founded. Ultimately it's up to society how to use the term.

I played the shit out of PS3 Insect Armageddon when I was in Grad school. I don't usually put in that many hours into mediocre game but such was my need to help out the EDF. So hyped for the first proper ps3 EDF

Hell yes. I too supported just because it was EDF. The only reason I am replaying it is because its 7.99 on PSN. My problem with IA was the length and the nature of some of the reimagined ravagers.

And in other news....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmz1sHj01Dc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Serious time BCT.

One of the things i've been looking into recently (and I've mentioned this before) is why we don't have more of a transition of black people who enjoy videogames into black people who want to make videogames (or work in the industry). Especially in times right now where it is seen as cool to enjoy geek, nerd and videogame culture.

My main reasoning is that from a very early age, any possible drive and desire to work in this industry gets killed off by parental pressure and/ or societal expectations. The former is the basis of my question to you peeps; how many of you have parents that would FULLY support you if you announced that you wanted to work in videogames?

Further to that, is their attitude different now than it was say 5 years ago? Did you get the "videogames aren't a proper career path" talk as a kid? Did they try and steer you towards "good" jobs sectors like Finance, Medicine, Engineering or Aeronautics?

My Dad is fully supportive of my decision, but i can't say he would have been very happy about it 5 or so years ago. He's really mellowed out since then, partly because he realised how stubborn about it i was going to be. I'm sure this isn't the norm for black folk.

Serious time BCT.

One of the things i've been looking into recently (and I've mentioned this before) is why we don't have more of a transition of black people who enjoy videogames into black people who want to make videogames (or work in the industry). Especially in times right now where it is seen as cool to enjoy geek, nerd and videogame culture.

My main reasoning is that from a very early age, any possible drive and desire to work in this industry gets killed off by parental pressure and/ or societal expectations. The former is the basis of my question to you peeps; how many of you have parents that would FULLY support you if you announced that you wanted to work in videogames?

Further to that, is their attitude different now than it was say 5 years ago? Did you get the "videogames aren't a proper career path" talk as a kid? Did they try and steer you towards "good" jobs sectors like Finance, Medicine, Engineering or Aeronautics?

My Dad is fully supportive of my decision, but i can't say he would have been very happy about it 5 or so years ago. He's really mellowed out since then, partly because he realised how stubborn about it i was going to be. I'm sure this isn't the norm for black folk.

The video game industry is a technology industry, so I'm not sure how anyone could ever argue it's not a proper career path. If you're qualified to work in the industry you're likely also qualified to work in other industries that have better work conditions and pay. While it might not be the best use of your skills to work in video games, it's certainly not a poor decision to pursue it.

I imagine one reason you don't see a lot of black people in video games is because it's something that requires higher learning.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
surprising amounts of salt deposits forming in the white people dancing gif thread

am I missing something?

BHZ Mayor

Serious time BCT.

I got the "playing videogames won't get you a job" talk (funny how that worked out), but as far as working in the industry, I'm sure I'd have their support. I remember making drawings and having little ideas for games. They were pretty supportive of that. My father even helped me write a letter and mail it to Sega about an idea I had for a game (IIRC, I think it was just a Sonic clone lol).

So when college came around, I got into Computer Science because I've been wanting to make games since I was a kid. There wasn't a direct game design curriculum at the school I went to at the time, but I figured Computer Science was kind of something I could apply to all facets of development, so I went with that. By the time a game design course was created, I was already in my final semester.

In the end, I'm not in the gaming industry, but I think if there was a curriculum at the time that directly involved games, they would be fully supportive. My folks never tried to push me toward any particular field.

Serious time BCT.

My moms totally fine with me wanting to do Media Design or Game Design/Programming. My Dad tho... No dice. He wants me to do something in the medical field regardless if I enjoy it or not because of job security.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom