• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious time BCT.

One of the things i've been looking into recently (and I've mentioned this before) is why we don't have more of a transition of black people who enjoy videogames into black people who want to make videogames (or work in the industry). Especially in times right now where it is seen as cool to enjoy geek, nerd and videogame culture.

My main reasoning is that from a very early age, any possible drive and desire to work in this industry gets killed off by parental pressure and/ or societal expectations. The former is the basis of my question to you peeps; how many of you have parents that would FULLY support you if you announced that you wanted to work in videogames?

Further to that, is their attitude different now than it was say 5 years ago? Did you get the "videogames aren't a proper career path" talk as a kid? Did they try and steer you towards "good" jobs sectors like Finance, Medicine, Engineering or Aeronautics?

My Dad is fully supportive of my decision, but i can't say he would have been very happy about it 5 or so years ago. He's really mellowed out since then, partly because he realised how stubborn about it i was going to be. I'm sure this isn't the norm for black folk.

or maybe it's because the money is a joke compared to other jobs with less work and more free time and a lot of black people are just more practical about their career paths and go for a better job instead.

or maybe it's because the money is a joke compared to other jobs with less work and more free time and a lot of black people are just more practical about their career paths and go for a better job instead.

That depends on what area you're talking about; some industry jobs pay a pretty good salary for not that much work, and leave you with a decent amount of free time (translation/localization for example).

Medicine and Law don't offer much free time at all from what I've seen and heard. No idea bout Finance or Engineering but I suppose that would depend on individual positions. There's also something to be said about making a living doing something you love vs. making a lot of money doing something stressful that you don't like.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
or maybe it's because the money is a joke

Unless you are doing QA or Customer Service, or live in SF, not really.

compared to other jobs with less work and more free time

Very debatable, and ultimately dependant on what position you take in the industry

a lot of black people are just more practical about their career paths and go for a better job instead.

And how do we quantify "more practical"?

i'm talking similar qualification jobs not in the industry, not doctor or lawyer. the common thoughts seem to be if you want to do CS, don't work on videogames with that, the hours are higher and pay is lower. one quote i heard was "my ancestors were slaves, not me" in reference to why not to get into that industry.

i'm talking similar qualification jobs not in the industry, not doctor or lawyer. the common thoughts seem to be if you want to do CS, don't work on videogames with that, the hours are higher and pay is lower. one quote i heard was "my ancestors were slaves, not me" in reference to why not to get into that industry.

Ah my fault. Missed the part you bolded in the quote.

Coders and programmers aren't the ones affecting policy, although having that background can help in getting those positions.

Silky

Banned
How do you stop someone from possibly risking their life (because of this storm) from driving all the way from GA to IL

Serious time BCT.

One of the things i've been looking into recently (and I've mentioned this before) is why we don't have more of a transition of black people who enjoy videogames into black people who want to make videogames (or work in the industry). Especially in times right now where it is seen as cool to enjoy geek, nerd and videogame culture.

My main reasoning is that from a very early age, any possible drive and desire to work in this industry gets killed off by parental pressure and/ or societal expectations. The former is the basis of my question to you peeps; how many of you have parents that would FULLY support you if you announced that you wanted to work in videogames?

Further to that, is their attitude different now than it was say 5 years ago? Did you get the "videogames aren't a proper career path" talk as a kid? Did they try and steer you towards "good" jobs sectors like Finance, Medicine, Engineering or Aeronautics?

My Dad is fully supportive of my decision, but i can't say he would have been very happy about it 5 or so years ago. He's really mellowed out since then, partly because he realised how stubborn about it i was going to be. I'm sure this isn't the norm for black folk.

I was in this boat when I was high school. My mom didn't really see it as a career path, but she ultimately let me choose my own destiny since I did all this research on it. Looking back I was too focused on getting out the environment I was in for a few different reasons and chose poorly on my school. I got into a school as a 3d artist where I could barely draw. I saw it as a stoke of luck, but being young I didn't realize it just a way to get my money. This was back in 2001-2002 when you started to see a push for a gaming focused curriculum going around. Ultimately, I wasn't ready for it and didn't complete it.

Now, if I was in the same situation today I wouldn't think it wouldn't be such a leap for a parent to get what their kid was trying to do. In any other profession there is a tangibility and a proven record of success that people can look to as a road map. Even though games have been around for a few decades I think some still view it as a disposable hobby where it can go away at the drop of the hat. Parents want you to get out the of the bucket and never look back, so their lack of general knowledge of the industry may contribute to their fear. If you showed a credit scroll of a typical AAA game I think most parents would be surprised as to how many people of various roles contribute to making a game.

Also, with the way technology has evolved I would hope more parents today would be supportive. I'm assuming many of the skills you would learn in the pursuit of a game making career could be applied to other industries.

Silky

Banned
Why are they trying to make that trip?

I have no idea. To see people? Not like she'll tell me when I ask her.

hide the keys.

someone considering that can't be reasoned with...

Yeaaah that sounds like a plan.

Slash a tire, blame it on an icicle?

She just got the car lol. It's that tax money man; she feels now she gotta do EVERYTHING (except move out of my fucking house) with the money she has. wasted damn near half of her shit on a car instead of getting a place for her kids lmao

FyreWulff

How do you stop someone from possibly risking their life (because of this storm) from driving all the way from GA to IL

Are they having a panic attack or something? Have them stay with a friend if they're anxious.

Otherwise, going to Illinois is actually going from a bad situation to worse. It's farther north and will eventually be hit by even bigger storms than the one there.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
If she ain't hearing you out, then don't worry about it. You can't save her from herself lol.

Serious time BCT.

Both of my parents have been pretty supportive from the beginning (I've been in the industry for 8 years now, and I've wanted to make games since like 15 years ago, lol), though my mom does occasionally slip into "you ever think about applying to the Microsofts or the Googles?" talk every so often. I guess because those are more well known, it's easier for her to get that as a "real" tech job, compared to video games (I have a CS degree). She never really hated on my job or anything though, especially since I've been living on my own and taking care of myself just fine.

Also, my dad's an architect, so explaining level design to him was actually pretty easy, heh.

I think a big part of getting anyone into the industry is just communicating that it's possible. It's always interesting when people don't realize that there is actually a lot of staff, hard work, and money that goes into making a game, and it's not just something that pops out of thin air. That's why I've enjoyed speaking at career days and stuff like that at an elementary school...at least it tells folks that "hey, this is a real job with real people"

ReiGun

Serious time BCT.

My mother was highly supportive of my decision to get into games, even in spite of the fact that it wasn't the career path she thought would be best for me (she wants me to be a writer and a teacher). Her thing was she only wants her children to be independent and able to take care of ourselves, regardless of whatever career path we take.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Thanks for the responses fam (i've posed the same questions to a slightly bigger group, so will see what comes back)

Am looking to give a talk, or be on a panel about this later in the year. Will keep you posted.

Esco,

I never really considered it an option. I think that was primarily because information on salary/lifestyle/ and how the day to day looks wasn't readily available when I was younger.

In elementary school, we used to draw levels out on notebook paper and keep journals of enemies, locations, stats, moves-everything. My mom and some of my friends parents knew we were about that life already, and were pretty encouraging, as long as we kept our grades up.

I think it's actually a little easier to get into the industry in some capacity if you don't go the tech route, plus it gives you some leeway to get into other things.

When you start from the bottom you find out your definition of "here" may differ from some others.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/02/13/drake-done-with-interviews/

This morning, the rapper posted on Twitter that he’s “done doing interviews for magazines” after Rolling Stone published an interview in which Drake criticized Kanye West’s latest album, Yeezus. “There were some real questionable bars on there,” he says in the story. “Like that ‘Swaghili’ line? Come on, man. Even Fabolous wouldn’t say some s— like that.” Drake claims in a tweet that he “never commented on Yeezus” during the interview, implying that Rolling Stone fabricated quotes. Drake is also mad that the magazine “took my cover from me last minute.” Philip Seymour Hoffman is the magazine’s cover subject this week… which makes sense, because that story might just be more important than whatever Drake has (or doesn’t have) to say about Kanye West. Maybe.

The rapper goes on to say that he’s “disgusted” by the cover change, but makes sure to add in an RIP for the Oscar winner

The link has his tweets.

It's funny, my family always noticed how I loved playing video games and assumed I wanted to make them and work in the industry. It was annoying though because I never wanted to make games, I just wanted to play them. It's partially why I wanted to write for some of the bigger game magazines at the time.

Gorillaz

To answer your question Esco I have thought about it a few times. I think the only thing that kind of worried me growing up dreaming about working in the industry is the fact it feels like people aren't ever satisfied. I mean I understand it's like that everywhere but there seems to be this notion in the gaming medium to be as immature about shit as possible. I mean shit like the Mass Effect 3 ending, which was terrible, was basically like the black plague to people. Taking it to heart that it didn't go down the way they wanted it to go down and in turn were foaming at the mouth for months.

I also think one thing that bugged me ever since I joined gaf is the way the gaming press lets these pubs and the big 3 just get away with so much shit. Again, it's like that with alot of industries but the press in this one feels like a pushover.It was one of the reasons I liked Joel McHale hosting the VGX this year. He basically questioned half of the shit that we let go as "normal".

Idk one of these days I might change my mind and try to get into the industry.

edit: and if were talking about why you don't see as many black people or just PoC in general enter the industry I think that's more to deal with it not being seen as something "hot" to go for. Actually, anything that isn't Sports or entertainment, can be seen by some of the black community as not worth the investment. Some not all.

so over the last 6 months ive finished/caught up with :

Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Orange is the New Black

and recently Dexter

any other recent series i should give a go?

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
It's been interesting to see some of the backlash to the Little Known Black History facts tumblr. I always found them funny, since they never seemed "mean", but rather just recognizing the unique language, and cultural behaviors that black folks sometimes have. But like with anything, sometimes other folks can get way too extra with it, so there's sometimes that Chapelle-like feeling that others are laughing at us and not with us.

The creator (a black woman) speaks on it here.
I mostly agree with her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom