• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

How likely do you guys feel it is that we could have a student loan debt bomb hit the economy within the next few years? In my mind all it takes is for one of these groups to go under to cause a domino effect or something or at least hit a bank real hard but I don't really know what the factors are.

Man though, I feel lucky as shit to have zero debt. Still can't find a goddamn job, but it's one less thing weighing down on me I guess.

Slayven

]Uhhh Bojangles....followed by Churches in a close 2nd.[/B]

In other news got approved for the Audi. I'll be picking her up tomorrow at 6:30pm

Loving that struggle.

The education and employment system needs an overhaul. Degrees are becomign meaningless but they also shouldn't be the only path to career advancement.

Gorillaz

How likely do you guys feel it is that we could have a student loan debt bomb hit the economy within the next few years? In my mind all it takes is for one of these groups to go under to cause a domino effect or something or at least hit a bank real hard but I don't really know what the factors are.

Man though, I feel lucky as shit to have zero debt. Still can't find a goddamn job, but it's one less thing weighing down on me I guess.

TBH I always assumed that the college loan system and debt repayment plan would be the next bubble. Something close to what we got in 08 will happen in the next decade or so.

I remember that. Nigga better become a crack kingpin or some shit, that's the only way he crawling out of that hole.

I forgot what we said but can you flee the country at that point? Like, Sallie Mae probably would make you their bitch if you stayed in the states at that point

Oh man, an associate of mine committed suicide this morning. I didn't know her super well, but damn if that's not depressing regardless. She apparently owed about $200k in student loan debt. She originally owed like $90k but couldn't find a decent job and ran out of deferments, apparently Sallie Mae wouldn't consolidate her loans so she had different interest rates.

damn... that's some tough news.

What? We kicked that ninja out of Porta au Prince. I'm 37 right now. I remember when it wasn't "cool" to be Haitian (Like it's cool to be Black or Haitian). Ninjas use to be like AIDs this or eat cat that. I remember I had cousins that came up from there to go to elementary and high school, and were being ostracized/hated against. Now Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, etc are giving daps and shout outs.

LMAO

For real though: I am 24 so I really didn't get the brunt of that anti-Haitian stuff but my mother told me stuff that she went through and I do see flashes of it from time to time in the current generation really.

I'm proud of what I am and I guess I am happy to hear Haitians being name dropped in current music.

Smokey

I'm glad my High School grades weren't shit, because I was forced to go the Community College route. You lose out on that dorm experience, but my college experience was still great, and not having two more years of University of California tuition (which was about ~$10-12k per quarter) feels so fucking good right about now. My only regret is giving a shit about the prestige of a UC versus a state college, and not attending the latter to shave off even more money (it's about half the cost of a UC). That shit doesn't matter within a lot of majors.

I went to a uni for one year before realizing I'm paying literally thousands more for the same basic ass classes. Went to a CC and got my associates before going back to a uni.

Paying thousands to take math 101 pls

see thats why I drive 30 minutes to see my barber and take appointments at 12 in the morning on weekends

completely worth it when you know you'll be looking right at the end of it

Mmhmm, this indeed. Even if I was one county over (or two), I'll make the car trip to my barber

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".

but what will the aftershocks be ?

I mean unlike housing being repossessed, what could they do ?

harSon

Banned
I went to a uni for one year before realizing I'm paying literally thousands more for the same basic ass classes. Went to a CC and got my associated before going back to a uni.

Paying thousands to take math 101 pls

Yup. I'm glad the choice was made for me due to bad grades, because I probably would have went for the short term gratification of the college experience over the long term value of less debt. It was basically a few hundred dollars in tuition versus $10,000... pretty fucking substantial.

I know a lot of people look down on community colleges for whatever reason, but it's definitely the smarter and more cost effective pathway to a diploma in today's climate. If we were talking about 8-10 years ago? 4-year college from the beginning all the way. But these tuition costs right now are fucking robbery.

Edit: Hell, I'm currently getting my AA in programming and the shit's pennies on the dollar between the tax breaks I get, and the presence of stuff like textbook rentals/cheaper e-books.

Don't think there's enough securitization of student loans to do what the housing collapse did. Mortgages were seen as great investment vehicles because the underlying asset was seeing consistent increases in their valuation. I think the financial market is used to most student loans not really being worth much. Payment on loans that didn't bring the value they promised the borrowers will be a drag on the economy though, I think eventually the government will start writing them off: buying them up and putting them under the fed loans program was the first step.

LMAO

For real though: I am 24 so I really didn't get the brunt of that anti-Haitian stuff but my mother told me stuff that she went through and I do see flashes of it from time to time in the current generation really.

I'm proud of what I am and I guess I am happy to hear Haitians being name dropped in current music.

Yeah, but at least from my experience, they're name dropping gangsters and criminals from Miami not accomplished Haitians like Maxwell, Wyclef, Gabrielle whatever (from Jaime Foxx show), etc. They're not name dropping the first independent Black nation (they had their freedom before the blacks in America.

Nakazato

I feel for you. I'm in the government welfare known as the military, so I can only imagine what that's like. Keep your head up. Stay positive. Make a solid plan like the kid in Fresh.

I do IT in the U.S. Marines. If you have any questions, please hit me up. IT is sort of the Phoenix field. A lot of people rise from the ashes trying to crack into the field. Just know the money will be low at first unless you can get certifications or degree. But those don't take the place of experience.

Programs...Cisco Network Academy (CCNA, CCNP, CCNA Security and IT Essentials). There are community colleges that offer classes (this is the cheapest way). VMware Academy (cheap way to get the VCP certification). And if you have a local library, you can possibly get access to Safari Online and try studying for certifications that way (Cisco Press and Sybex books are in there).
Thanks man between you and afro Ill have some good knowledge but for hitting up the certs

I'm glad my High School grades weren't shit, because I was forced to go the Community College route. You lose out on that dorm experience, but my college experience was still great, and not having two more years of University of California tuition (which was about ~$10-12k per quarter) feels so fucking good right about now. My only regret is giving a shit about the prestige of a UC versus a state college, and not attending the latter to shave off even more money (it's about half the cost of a UC). That shit doesn't matter within a lot of majors.

My highschool grades were crap. As a youngin, I didn't heed the wisdom of the elders. But I was lucky in that I was dirt poor, qualified for financial aid and went to an economical school like Miami Dade Community College for the first year.

I went back to school for a second bachelor's in 2012. Was paying $3,000 a term (which isn't too bad). School is expensive. And not EVERYONE has to go the college route. The problem for, at least our community, is the mentoring on what options there are post high school.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I'm in CC until I get most of my classes knocked away, then I'm transferring to university. It's crazy. I'm getting the same education as most of my friends (everything they're just getting to, I've learned maybe my first year) and my tuition is super cheap. I believe at most I'm 30K in debt.

CC may not have a lot of the more fun activities but I put fun on a bank burner when it comes to money and education. I got friends failing classes left and right, one dropped out and a few didn't go altogether because of debt fear. The risks are high... hell, one of my friends took out a loan for 10K to pay for a dorm for one semester. She's gotta be at least 60K by now and she's nowhere near finished.

I got just a few more classes left for my major and then I think I'll look for a job to pay for my minor classes myself. I don't want debt hanging over me forever.

The entire American Higher Education System honestly is utterly broken and nonsensical. Tuition rates go unchecked, as a direct result people have to take out these expensive loans. All the while the median wage is pretty damn stagnant. We're getting to the point were many degrees are being marginalized by the need to get a job that will make people enough right out of college to simply pay back the degree. I don't mean degrees that were always worthless like say Art History. I mean more decent degrees in which you can make a decent starting salary of like 30k. But now it's like your first job needs to start you at $50k or you're fucked due to student loan, any other loans you might have, and cost of living ontop of that. It's not going to get any better, cost of living will continually increase, as will tuition rates and student loan repayment rates all the while wages barely move. In my opinion when your tuition costs more than what you'll make on your first job, something is wrong.

So when geriatrics talk about how they made it and as a result everyone in 2014 should be able to do the same, I just roll my eyes. Like yea life was so hard for you on your 5k tuition with 25k a year job when the cost of living was nowhere near as detrimental as it is now.

Don't think there's enough securitization of student loans to do what the housing collapse did. Mortgages were seen as great investment vehicles because the underlying asset was seeing consistent increases in their valuation. I think the financial market is used to most student loans not really being worth much. Payment on loans that didn't bring the value they promised the borrowers will be a drag on the economy though, I think eventually the government will start writing them off: buying them up and putting them under the fed loans program was the first step.

Oh man if they ever decided to write off student loans, the amount of bitching will be deafening.

Yeah, but at least from my experience, they're name dropping gangsters and criminals from Miami not accomplished Haitians like Maxwell, Wyclef, Gabrielle whatever (from Jaime Foxx show), etc. They're not name dropping the first independent Black nation (they had their freedom before the blacks in America.

Yeah, but I guess that's what happens when it's Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, etc doing these name drops.

Actually got mindblown like two years ago when I found out Dave from De La Soul is Haitian. Not sure how I didn't pick that up sooner.

Yeah, but I guess that's what happens when it's Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, etc doing these name drops.

Actually got mindblown like two years ago when I found out Dave from De La Soul is Haitian. Not sure how I didn't pick that up sooner.

True. Unfortunately, it's difficult to pin point who the famous Haitian Americans (and just Haitian) period are.

But I'm sure it's the same for other Caribbeans (Jamaicans, Trinis, Dominican if they claim they're black, lol, etc).

BHM is cool. Too bad it's not pushed hard in the African American community to help with that self esteem, feelings of oppression, etc.

Oh man if they ever decided to write off student loans, the amount of bitching will be deafening.

Oh, mos def--"herp derp, they shouldn't have studied art history!!!!" But like you said, our system is broken, jobs aren't there, when they are they underpay and tuition is unjustifiably high--there has to be a tipping point eventually, so like always, those cry babies will be dragged to the future kicking and screaming.

Young Magus

So, KFC or Popeyes?

Popeyes, no question.

Oh man, an associate of mine committed suicide this morning. I didn't know her super well, but damn if that's not depressing regardless. She apparently owed about $200k in student loan debt. She originally owed like $90k but couldn't find a decent job and ran out of deferments, apparently Sallie Mae wouldn't consolidate her loans so she had different interest rates.

Shit. Sorry to hear that, loans are a killer and I hope that no one I know (and myself of course) get to deep into that mess.

Oh, mos def--"herp derp, they shouldn't have studied art history!!!!" But like you said, our system is broken, jobs aren't there, when they are they underpay and tuition is unjustifiably high--there has to be a tipping point eventually, so like always, those cry babies will be dragged to the future kicking and screaming.

Yup. And don't get me wrong I can understand their argument about worthless degrees, but even then I can't fully get behind them because back in say 1960 you could go for the most absolute shit degree and not be fucked.

My main issue with their argument is amount of responsibility they thrust on a 16-18 year old all the while these schools and student loans elude any responsibility. Then in the same breath when it comes to home ownership and the shitstorm around that, all of a sudden the banks and loan offices are these evil people and the 28+ year olds who signed for the loan are victims.

If the degree is worthless then schools need to stop offering them because really they're just playing on the naiviety of youth who go to college for their passion and not for what makes them six figures under the argument of "any degree is better than no degree". Which might have been true in 1960, but in 2014 that is a bunch of shit.

Like really?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
New York is the home of the Night Walkers. I remember being 18 and my cousin, Greg and I, used to go to Kennedy, White Castles, Dunkin Donuts or certain pizza spots late.

NYC is probably the best place in the world to find a places to eat. And I've lived in L.A., Miami, VA, etc.

one of the few things I dislike about LA is the lack of foodspots open at late hours. if norms is your thing, good on you, but I would love to find a place that serves good Thai food at 2 am

Timeout. Church's doesn't even use real chicken.

explain

Gorillaz

but what about bioshock vita, ken

levineheaderimg530pxhwmed.jpg

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
The Order does look beautiful but the gameplay is nothing new. :/
I'm wondering when the next mechanical wow will show up.

I like Tps and welcome more but I wasn't expecting that from the Order... but don't ask me what I expected because I don't even know what exactly I had in mind for it.

Then again I stayed clear of it for a while to be surprised so I'm a little less involved with its build up until now. Was it always marketed as a tps?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
To make matters worst a lot of public schools have poor math programs, soooo.... a lot of the youth don't have an inkling of an idea about finance. America is so utterly backwards about certain shit.

I'm close to being out of the bucket, but I got 90k bands wrapped around the claws. When I make it out, I still need to deal with that shit. :/

Any old person wanting to school me about their loans can from back in the day, can go kick rocks. Either pay my bills or shut the fuck up: straight like that. They're worst than our generation when it comes to owning up to the fukkery that was allowed to pass in congress.

:( @ irrational closing.

Furyous

I owe 138 and will be up to 224 if I pursue another degree. This is what happens in a weak economy with a gloomy job outlook.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

I like Tps and welcome more but I wasn't expecting that from the Order... but don't ask me what I expected because I don't even know what exactly I had in mind for it.

Then again I stayed clear of it for a while to be surprised so I'm a little less involved with its build up until now. Was it always marketed as a tps?

Yea. It was, but the gameplay was never what they were hyping up: just the graphics.

I want to give it a shot, because I'm a sucker for anything horror. I understand the need to market to shooter fans first, but they really need to get to the horror side fast. That gun segment and the qte highlight was super underwhelming.

Man I'm still watching The Walking Dead season 3; Sasha...oh god <3. I better not get attached though she's black so she's probably going to die.

I owe 138 and will be up to 224 if I pursue another degree. This is what happens in a weak economy with a gloomy job outlook.

Damn, I feel for ya bro. Bright side is wage garnishment has a cap, which ironically for many people will be less than what Sallie Mae is asking for.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Yea. It was, but the gameplay was never what they were hyping up: just the graphics.

I want to give it a shot, because I'm a sucker for anything horror. I understand the need to market to shooter fans first, but they really need to get to the horror side fast. That gun segment and the qte highlight was super underwhelming.

Ok thanks.

I'm in the same boat. I like the thriller aspect they're going for with this game so that's what's got me interested but I hope the game won't suffer too much. Maybe we'll get something more compelling soon.

Damn the game is beautiful tho! It's just... beautiful! Lol

RedSwirl

Maaaaaaan does every episode of True Detective end like this?

And these discussions make me consider accepting that shit minimum wage job because my nonexistent loan dept would allow me to stash away money pretty much immediately. The problem is that I'd still need to probably spend years saving up before I can actually do anything. It amounts to no more than some extra pocket change before a certain point. If I can even maintain a 30k job though I'm pretty much set.

i dunno.. i could describe it in 4 words...

Fog of War 1886

and yet i'd rather eat church's than KFC

all this debt talk is making me /dread/ starting college this year. :/

nah, just be smart with the money and your financial decisions. I haven't had a job making less than 50k in a little over 7 years and I'm just now able to get approved for nice cars like the aforementioned Audi, BMW's, etc,. I'll be 35 this year. If you can juggle both get a lil part time job while in school if possible and start paying on your student loans early if you get any.

that's what killed me.....damn student loans. they worse than pay day loans, high interest credit cars and the mob combined in my opinion. Garnished my check for 6 long years.

harSon

Banned
Graphically speaking, The Order looks hot as fuck and it's definitely the direction I see a lot of developers going this generation. illzone: Shadow Fall is technically more impressive than The Order: 1886, but games like the latter and Ryse are superior in a purely visual manner. Cinematic touches like depth of field, cinematic lighting, atmospheric touches like fog, darker color palettes, filmic aspect ratios and film grain do a lot to mask any deficiencies your game may have, especially when talking about textures, and provide a lot of smoke and mirrors to elevate the graphical status of the game in question.

Smokey

I don't even post in those threads (racial, political, 90% of gaming) as I'm sure I'll get banned. The car thread seems ripe for some any minute. For sure staying out of certain topics and voicing an opinion after the NBA thread debacle last weekend

I don't even post in those threads (racial, political, 90% of gaming) as I'm sure I'll get banned. The car thread seems ripe for some any minute. For sure stay out of certain topics and voicing an opinion after the NBA thread debacle last weekend

lark just got the axe

nba gaf will be a very different place post reopening/all star break :eek:

I don't even post in those threads (racial, political, 90% of gaming) as I'm sure I'll get banned. The car thread seems ripe for some any minute. For sure stay out of certain topics and voicing an opinion after the NBA thread debacle last weekend

stick to your voicing your opinion, just be very afraid of catching ire.. mods don't mind conversing.. as long as you know the edge.

otherwise just keep sticking with it & us.. but don't go GhettoGamer on us. BCT can't save you from the dehumanizing stare.

-No personal attacks
-Keep it light

That's how I generally look at it. I only turn up if a real superstar appears, and even then as long as you remain intelligent you're fine.

We wearing homeless clothes now ya'll

If he thinks dude in the video looks mean and homeless, I'd be Dark Oscar lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom