• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
My dad has a tumor in his throat.

There's something about coming face to face with the mortality of your parents that really sucks.

sorry to hear that and I hope everyone's parents that have health problems will get well soon.

Kaizer

Banned

There's something about coming face to face with the mortality of your parents that really sucks.

Sorry to hear that, my mother has lupus and had to be hospitalized several times last year and once this year. We weren't sure if she was going to live or die, it was incredibly traumatic and led to suicide attempt in March 2012. Thankfully we're all doing much better now.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it means so much. He's been having swallowing problems for months now. He had a gastroscopy and colonoscopy (they do them together since why not, you're passed out). Anyway the blockage/tumor is so big they couldn't even get the cam down his throat. They could take pics from above and well it's not looking good. Biopsy results aren't in yet but considering my dad is a long time smoker he's about as cynical as you can get about it. Tomorrow they go to the hospital for another gastroscopy with a smaller tube.

He's of the opinion that he wants to basically die still standing and does not want to pay out the ass to prolong his life if it means suffering and taking money away from my mother. I'm just in shock but I support whatever he wants to do. This is the guy who spent 5 years of his life weaning his own mother after her stroke and seeing her deteriorate day after day. He basically does not want to put me or my mother through the same ordeal again. I'm hoping whatever it is, is as benign or least aggressive as it can get so I at least get more time with him. He seems relatively calm about it like "it is what it is." I feel awful for my mom since she has to deal with her best buddy and husband of 27 years time possibly coming up here sooner than she probably imagined. My parents didn't kid themselves that she would outlast him but he's only 59.

At this point it's wait and see. What needs to be done. How much my dad is willing to fork over. I'll stand by him whatever he chooses. He's been such a great dad and I don't want to lose him just yet but that's life.

Aiustis

parental illness is terrible. last year my mom died from a stroke hers was instant around the same time my dad was very ill and needed surgery and also had detatched retinas. he's alright now though he cant see very well.

akira28

Don't underestimate a father's willingness to self-sacrifice and jump on the grenade, even if he doesn't have to. So don't let him get too dark and grim. Remind him that he doesn't have to face it all on his own. Try to get him to spend some time focusing on hope and making it, and not just the cynicism or the practicality, for his health. Peace of mind definitely helps with healing.
I hope for the best.

Gorillaz

I'm not even getting the consoles at launch but I'm hype to see this 3 ring circle tonight on spike

Sorry bout that D. I often try not to think bout about my own parents mortality also.

J10

Banned
That dude who posted that picture of the cake made out of pasta. I now know how he did it because I almost did it myself tonight.

J10

Banned
Not only did I not stir, I didn't have enough water in there to start. I walked away absentmindedly and came back just as the water came to a boil and the macaroni was all bunched together. I added some more water and let it simmer a few extra minutes after stirring and it was fine.

Gorillaz

Kojima always fucking around I swear......

Other then ND shit was overhyped, but at this point gaf has the tendency to imagine everything in the world to appear at one of these conferences/events. It's like the same group of people doing it lol

Imm0rt4l

So Imm0t4l

that Kojima shocking reveal huh

R3X0il.jpg

also, somehow I think banderas meme still hasn't hit critical mass.

harSon

Banned
you saw they were available and ... bought more!?

i guess it could pay off though, and there's no risk...

To be fair, it doesn't matter how many there are before launch, what matters is a day or after. Or a week from now.

And I'm likely going to cancel one of my Amazon orders. The last one I ordered was on my own account, using 3-5 day shipping. This time around I used my friend's Amazon Prime account, so I save $4.99 and get it sooner.

harSon

Banned

Damn, missed this. My mom had breast Cancer, and it got to the point where doctors told us she had weeks to live at most. That was 4 or so years ago and her cancer is still in remission. I know it's tough but stay strong for you dad, and hopefully he pulls through fine.

Sorry to hear that Devo :(

I'm at work unboxing these PS4s & accessories for the store opening and it's my first time seeing the controller in person. It looks wide as all hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom